What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bloom 100 with FULL COMMENTARY (1 Viewer)

Michael Okwo tipped the scales at 5'11.3" and 232 pounds. If he puts up a decent workout at the combine, I think he's going to go a lot higher in the NFL draft than people expect. I think he has a little bit of Jonathan Vilma/Kirk Morrison in him. He might not be as good as either of those guys, but I suspect he'll be climbing this list.

14. Lorenzo Booker, RB, Florida St – If you read the Blammey Senior Bowl dispatches, you know that we love Booker. Honestly, he’s not that different from Reggie Bush. The problem is that he’s smaller, he won’t come in with Bush’s hype and unreal draft grade, and therefore, he seems destined to get the short end of an RBBC (then again, isn’t that where Bush is?). Of course, you could have said the same about Maurice Jones-Drew last year, and still, the cream rose to the top. I expect him to have a ridiculous combine and probably jump up a few spots.

Bloom, we talked a bit about this over the weekend but I wanted to continue the conversation here today because you have Booker so much higher than anyone else I've seen.

Comparing his to Bush or Drew has one ENORMOUS flaw, both Bush and Drew were unbelievably effective and multi-faceted in college. Saw what you will about Florida State, but we're not talking about an NAIA school here.

Booker couldn't make an impact on a major program that was BEGGING for offensive playmakers. Add to that his weight (188 lbs. is TINY), and I think he's behind a massive 8-ball regardless of whether you see him as talented or not. It's going to take a near perfect situation for Booker to even get a chance to be a big contributor offensively.

For the record (again, following up on our conversation from the weekend), to me the more realistic comparison for Booker isn't Bush or Dunn or Drew but Derrick Blaylock.

14. Lorenzo Booker, RB, Florida St – If you read the Blammey Senior Bowl dispatches, you know that we love Booker. Honestly, he’s not that different from Reggie Bush. The problem is that he’s smaller, he won’t come in with Bush’s hype and unreal draft grade, and therefore, he seems destined to get the short end of an RBBC (then again, isn’t that where Bush is?). Of course, you could have said the same about Maurice Jones-Drew last year, and still, the cream rose to the top. I expect him to have a ridiculous combine and probably jump up a few spots.

Bloom, we talked a bit about this over the weekend but I wanted to continue the conversation here today because you have Booker so much higher than anyone else I've seen.

Comparing his to Bush or Drew has one ENORMOUS flaw, both Bush and Drew were unbelievably effective and multi-faceted in college. Saw what you will about Florida State, but we're not talking about an NAIA school here.

Booker couldn't make an impact on a major program that was BEGGING for offensive playmakers. Add to that his weight (188 lbs. is TINY), and I think he's behind a massive 8-ball regardless of whether you see him as talented or not. It's going to take a near perfect situation for Booker to even get a chance to be a big contributor offensively.

For the record (again, following up on our conversation from the weekend), to me the more realistic comparison for Booker isn't Bush or Dunn or Drew but Derrick Blaylock.
I don't think he really compares to Blaylock at all. Blaylock was a workout warrior type who was drafted more because of his combine numbers than his football skills. Booker is a better football player than Blaylock. Yea, he never put up gaudy stats in college, but it's not like he was a bum. He rushed for over 2,000 yards and added another 1,000 receiving yards. Those aren't monster numbers spread out over four seasons, but it's not like he was sharing time with scrubs. Greg Jones and Leon Washington are both NFL caliber talents.

I agree that his weight is a concern. I also agree that comparisons to Reggie Bush and Maurice Drew are premature. However, I do think Booker is an interesting player and a guy who will help an NFL franchise win games. I don't know if FF stardom is really in his future, but he can probably be an Amp Lee type or maybe even another Charlie Garner.

Mike Mason?? Any insight on him? He is a hometown boy and looks like he had top 5 numbers in 3 wr categories...deep sleeper??

will this be moving to the Draft Guys site? maybe a static posting there? and as always, a thread here?
yes, from now until the draft, new releases of the Bloom 100 will debut at NFLDraftguys - they will eventuallyfind their way into the article section over here at FBG for posterity. All discussion of the 100 will still take place over here. Expect the post-combine update by the end of the week.

Bloom, great stuff. Where would you slot Brandon Marshall among this year's top receivers?
top of the 2nd tier
Bloom could you do your top ten from this year and last year's draft at RB and WRs? interested in how you stack them. Thanks in Advance...Will be useful in startup dynasties..maybe in tiers
you want the 2006 guys based on current grade or at the time of the draft? apples or oranges?
I guess at time of draft(the 2006 and 2007 guys together)...both would be great
So ranking the WRs based on where I had them at this point in the draft process (that is, ranking as if everything happened from the combine forward last year hadn't happened for the 06 guys - an apples to apples comparison:1. Calvin Johnson2. Dwayne Jarrett3. Sidney Rice4. Robert Meachem5. Dwayne Bowe6. Ted Ginn7. Santonio Holmes8. Chad Jackson9. Johnnie Lee Higgins10.Sinorice MossMarshall (EEE) would be 11th. At this point last year, he wasnt even considered draftworthy by some people. I had him #4 in the WR class.Apples to Oranges - that is factoring in what we know now:1. Calvin Johnson2. Brandon Marshall3. Dwayne Jarrett4. Sidney Rice5. Greg Jennings6. Robert Meachem7. Dwayne Bowe8. Santonio Holmes9. Ted Ginn10Johnnie Lee Higgins
So basically your saying Marshall is worth a top 4 draft choice this season?

Colin Dowling said:
Greg Jennings ahead of Robert Meachem? TO say I disagree would be an understatement.
Jennings knock isn't his ability, but his route running and grasp of complex offenses. What's the knock on Meachem if you had to find one? He seems a little "average" to me. Not great at anything, but not bad at anything either.

Bloom, great stuff. Where would you slot Brandon Marshall among this year's top receivers?
top of the 2nd tier
Bloom could you do your top ten from this year and last year's draft at RB and WRs? interested in how you stack them. Thanks in Advance...Will be useful in startup dynasties..maybe in tiers
you want the 2006 guys based on current grade or at the time of the draft? apples or oranges?
I guess at time of draft(the 2006 and 2007 guys together)...both would be great
So ranking the WRs based on where I had them at this point in the draft process (that is, ranking as if everything happened from the combine forward last year hadn't happened for the 06 guys - an apples to apples comparison:1. Calvin Johnson

2. Dwayne Jarrett

3. Sidney Rice

4. Robert Meachem

5. Dwayne Bowe

6. Ted Ginn

7. Santonio Holmes

8. Chad Jackson

9. Johnnie Lee Higgins

10.Sinorice Moss

Marshall (EEE) would be 11th. At this point last year, he wasnt even considered draftworthy by some people. I had him #4 in the WR class.

Apples to Oranges - that is factoring in what we know now:

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Brandon Marshall

3. Dwayne Jarrett

4. Sidney Rice

5. Greg Jennings

6. Robert Meachem

7. Dwayne Bowe

8. Santonio Holmes

9. Ted Ginn

10Johnnie Lee Higgins
I think you're off on this one - I don't see Higgins as special and he appears to be a #3 WR in the NFL.

Colin Dowling said:
Greg Jennings ahead of Robert Meachem? TO say I disagree would be an understatement.
Jennings knock isn't his ability, but his route running and grasp of complex offenses. What's the knock on Meachem if you had to find one? He seems a little "average" to me. Not great at anything, but not bad at anything either.
Robert Meachem is great at a lot of things. He has good size and is very difficult to tackle in the open field. I realize that sounds like common praise, but I watched every game this year and it is my opinion that he is one of the most difficult guys to tackle in the draft. He had two long touchdowns against Cal where some 5'10 (IIRC) corner wrapped him up near the LOS and Meachem muscled his way out of it and out-ran everyone down the field for the score.He also has fantastic sprinter speed. HE isn't the "quickest" guy, but if he gets 2 or 3 strides, no one is going to catch him. While some fans knock his consistency catching the ball, I saw him make a lot more tough catches then I saw him drop easy catches. He reminds me a good bit of David Boston when he was at Ohio State, offering a quality blend of everything needed to be a 'go to' guy with just a dash of extra intangibles you don't find later in the draft.

Link to LSU/UT highlights This link is good for a couple Meachem highlights where twice he goes for deep TDs. (There are also good Russell highlights).

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert Meachem is great at a lot of things. He has good size and is very difficult to tackle in the open field. I realize that sounds like common praise, but I watched every game this year and it is my opinion that he is one of the most difficult guys to tackle in the draft. He had two long touchdowns against Cal where some 5'10 (IIRC) corner wrapped him up near the LOS and Meachem muscled his way out of it and out-ran everyone down the field for the score.He also has fantastic sprinter speed. HE isn't the "quickest" guy, but if he gets 2 or 3 strides, no one is going to catch him. While some fans knock his consistency catching the ball, I saw him make a lot more tough catches then I saw him drop easy catches. He reminds me a good bit of David Boston when he was at Ohio State, offering a quality blend of everything needed to be a 'go to' guy with just a dash of extra intangibles you don't find later in the draft.

Link to LSU/UT highlights This link is good for a couple Meachem highlights where twice he goes for deep TDs. (There are also good Russell highlights).
:thumbup:

Mike Walker.........................Where is the love :shrug:
:shrug: :thumbup: :thumbup: 39 Mike Walker WR Central Florida 6'2" 209 39 Never doubt Chaos Commish. CC asked me why Walker wasn't in my initial top 100, and I didn't really have a good answer. Then Walker had to go out and run a 4.35 at the combine, shattering any misconceptions that he was limited to be only be a possession receiver in the NFL. He put on a show again at his pro day, and has surely gotten the attention of at least some of the 30 teams that were in attendance. Walker's coach, George O'Leary, said that Walker is "finally healthy" and that he was playing hurt all year (not to mention coming off an ACL tear suffered in November 2005). I expect to reunite him with his former Golden Knight teammate, Brandon Marshall, on a lot of my dynasty teams. Did you know? - Walker started at cornerback for part of 2004 and led the team with three interceptions.

Mike Walker.........................Where is the love :confused:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :wall: 39 Mike Walker WR Central Florida 6'2" 209 39 Never doubt Chaos Commish. CC asked me why Walker wasn't in my initial top 100, and I didn't really have a good answer. Then Walker had to go out and run a 4.35 at the combine, shattering any misconceptions that he was limited to be only be a possession receiver in the NFL. He put on a show again at his pro day, and has surely gotten the attention of at least some of the 30 teams that were in attendance. Walker's coach, George O'Leary, said that Walker is "finally healthy" and that he was playing hurt all year (not to mention coming off an ACL tear suffered in November 2005). I expect to reunite him with his former Golden Knight teammate, Brandon Marshall, on a lot of my dynasty teams. Did you know? - Walker started at cornerback for part of 2004 and led the team with three interceptions.
I gotta wonder why he and marshall chose UCF over the big 3 schools in that state

:thumbup: I have Meachem as the #2 WR on my board. All I've seen him do is make plays.

Mike Walker.........................Where is the love :goodposting:
:lmao: :thumbup: :thumbup: 39 Mike Walker WR Central Florida 6'2" 209 39 Never doubt Chaos Commish. CC asked me why Walker wasn't in my initial top 100, and I didn't really have a good answer. Then Walker had to go out and run a 4.35 at the combine, shattering any misconceptions that he was limited to be only be a possession receiver in the NFL. He put on a show again at his pro day, and has surely gotten the attention of at least some of the 30 teams that were in attendance. Walker's coach, George O'Leary, said that Walker is "finally healthy" and that he was playing hurt all year (not to mention coming off an ACL tear suffered in November 2005). I expect to reunite him with his former Golden Knight teammate, Brandon Marshall, on a lot of my dynasty teams. Did you know? - Walker started at cornerback for part of 2004 and led the team with three interceptions.
I gotta wonder why he and marshall chose UCF over the big 3 schools in that state
:lmao: Why did Tomlinson choose TCU over Texas and Texas A&M?

Bloom.... I'm hungry for more.... when will you do the next massage?
Im writing 51-60 right now. Should be up by the end of the day. Ill try to get it in the next few hours.
Hey Bloom how come you dont do upside/downside comparisons? I dont get to see everyone and I'm sure you do so I would like to know who that player reminds you of. Plus I have my own comparisons of the players I see and would love to know if I'm on the same track as you guys.Some guys dont like to make comparisons because it opens the door for alot of critics but I love them and it kinda give you a sense of what to look for.

Im writing 51-60 right now. Should be up by the end of the day. Ill try to get it in the next few hours.
Hey Bloom how come you dont do upside/downside comparisons? I dont get to see everyone and I'm sure you do so I would like to know who that player reminds you of. Plus I have my own comparisons of the players I see and would love to know if I'm on the same track as you guys.Some guys dont like to make comparisons because it opens the door for alot of critics but I love them and it kinda give you a sense of what to look for.
Ill do upside/downside again on a future version. I did last year for the top 25 on the pro day (3/30) version, but this year I have been all over the place. Expect upside/downside on the first post-draft version.

Ill do upside/downside again on a future version. I did last year for the top 25 on the pro day (3/30) version, but this year I have been all over the place. Expect upside/downside on the first post-draft version.
Thanks cant wait. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread