What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Board Upgrade Tips - FAQ in first post (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we prevent people from changing thread titles?
2nd.  It's usually the sports threads.  The second a game ends (or in the middle of the game) someone feels the need to update the title of the official thread.  They don't realize that not all of us view tv live, especially sporting events.  I came home one night to watch the thunder on delay and it was spoiled.  Same goes for TV show threads. The only time a thread title change was justified was when the word "update" was used followed by a post number.  Now those numbers are gone so no need to ever change the title.

With only 25 threads on page one there really isn't any space for one pinned thread much less two.  Mods, please unpin. I'm going to start a thread on finding a five dollar bill today and I'd like it to get at least 10 minutes on page one before it falls to page two and disappears forever. Thanks guys.

Willie Neslon said:
2nd.  It's usually the sports threads.  The second a game ends (or in the middle of the game) someone feels the need to update the title of the official thread.  They don't realize that not all of us view tv live, especially sporting events.  I came home one night to watch the thunder on delay and it was spoiled.  Same goes for TV show threads. The only time a thread title change was justified was when the word "update" was used followed by a post number.  Now those numbers are gone so no need to ever change the title.
Someday instead of having these boards be strictly about yoga pants, Donald Trump, prime rib dinners and wallabies, we might let people discuss fantasy football.  Being able to update player thread titles for recent happenings is kind of nice.

Probably will never happen, but I'm just saying, if it did...

Even after the upgrade, I was able to mark a forum read. As of yesterday, it seems my only option is to mark the entire site read. Has something changed? 

Mr. Ected said:
Nested Quotes, Quote Multiple Posts

Invision changed their boards to only have 1 nested quote by default, because having too many made it unreadable, particularly on mobile. You can include multiple separate quote boxes though. To include more than one, just click the + next to Quote on the posts you wish included. A new button will then appear at the bottom to include all of the quotes.
Don't understand this, so if there are two quotes from ten pages apart, I have to go back and get the first one? Also, are we ever going to get the posting numbers back?

Don't mean to be a PITA, but some of this that was 'updated' was working fine before, now is worse.
:no: at least not on the Desktop..

Just highlight the entire post you want to reply to, you'll see a "Quote this" pop up.. click that, and as you can see I "nested" both replies from your post :thumbup:

Even after the upgrade, I was able to mark a forum read. As of yesterday, it seems my only option is to mark the entire site read. Has something changed? 
If I caught it all correctly... there were a lot of complaints about the button's placement, it being very easy to hit by mistake right next to the new thread button. In the board software the button location is tied to the start new post button's location. So it can't be moved somewhere out of the way, but it can be disabled entirely.  So it was disabled so people wouldn't hit it by mistake.

I honestly truly believed it was a button created for pure evil. Couldn't even imagine a reason somebody would want to mark the board as read. It's a horrible experience when you click it accidentally. Traumatizing really.
I want to be able to mark a forum read. The option to mark the entire board as read is still there. 

I want to be able to mark a forum read. The option to mark the entire board as read is still there. 
I agree that one is bad too, but it's not placed in a horrible spot that makes it easy to click accidentally.

Everybody that I've ever heard from has hated those options. Like I said, you're the first that seemed to like/use it.

Sorry it was removed for you (we tried to move it first), but I think the vast majority of people here would prefer this current setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously the change sucks in almost every way, but I do like how ignored posts are much less intrusive now, almost invisible. Big upgrade there imo. 

You've chosen to ignore content by Eminence. Options 

Added these two to the FAQ.

How Does Marking a Forum as Read Work?

The Mark Forum Read button that for awhile was right beside the Start New Topic button has been removed. It is tied to the Start New Topic location by the software, so can't be moved somewhere out of the way. But can be disabled which is what was done. There is also an option to mark the entire site as read, but it is more out of the way so was left in place.

However you can still mark a forum as read from the Our Forums page.  The icon to the left of each forum will mark that forum as read.

Editor For Original Posts Has Less Functionality

If you edit a thread's original post the style menu is reduced to bold, italics, underline, emoticon and links. This has been reported to Invision.  As a workaround, if you need to do more formatting than that in your original post, you can do it in a Reply (or even somewhere like Word), and then cut and paste it in.

Added these two to the FAQ.

How Does Marking a Forum as Read Work?

The Mark Forum Read button that for awhile was right beside the Start New Topic button has been removed. It is tied to the Start New Topic location by the software, so can't be moved somewhere out of the way. But can be disabled which is what was done. There is also an option to mark the entire site as read, but it is more out of the way so was left in place.

However you can still mark a forum as read from the Our Forums page.  The icon to the left of each forum will mark that forum as read.

Editor For Original Posts Has Less Functionality

If you edit a thread's original post the style menu is reduced to bold, italics, underline, emoticon and links. This has been reported to Invision.  As a workaround, if you need to do more formatting than that in your original post, you can do it in a Reply (or even somewhere like Word), and then cut and paste it in.
The ability to preview your post before posting is gone also.

FWIW, deleting the quote box in iOS works fine for me. It's exactly the same as in Windows. Click on the 'x' in the top left corner of the box, then hit backspace.

Turns out the thing I posted about the editor in the OP was a case of there being 3 different formatting menus and it trying to decide which to show you based on the width of your browser. Might not be a common problem that I hit, because I have an exotic resolution as I'm running nVidia Surround to span 3 monitors, and I think maybe that messed it up somehow.  In any event, playing with the browser width, going huge and then tiny finally made it switch the editor on the fly and show the full formatting menu.

Different Formatting Options in the Editor

There are three different editor menus for things like text formatting, a Small, Medium and Large, with different button sets. Which you see depends on whether you are mobile or desktop, and on the width of your browser. Exotic screen resolutions in particular can cause problems and you may get the Small editor with few options even in a wide browser. On desktop, if you try resizing your window, both to max size, and also making it tiny, you can generally get it to switch to the full editor.

Has this been covered?

If I go to post a reply, start writing, say nah never mind,, then leave the reply field.... when I come back to write something else the old draft reply is there and it can't be gotten rid of unless you reply, post it, then go back and delete it.

Anyway to resolve this without getting out/in the thread, site or even the browser?

Thanks.

Has this been covered?

If I go to post a reply, start writing, say nah never mind,, then leave the reply field.... when I come back to write something else the old draft reply is there and it can't be gotten rid of unless you reply, post it, then go back and delete it.

Anyway to resolve this without getting out/in the thread, site or even the browser?

Thanks.
Page one, post one of this thread has all tips including yours...

Removing a Quote Box When Typing a Reply
Mouseover or highlight the quote box and there will be a new box top left for moving the quote box. Click and then delete or backspace to remove it.  You can also control-right click over the quote box to bring up a menu with a few options including deleting it. You also can Select All (control-A) and then delete everything in your reply.  Deleting quote boxes in the editor may be broken on iOS.  If so you could always post it and then edit the post and remove it there.

Text From Old Post Keeps Appearing in Reply Box
Invision meant this as a feature, saving a draft within the browser so you can go to other pages if you want, come back, and continue the post.  Have to manually delete the previous text at least for now.

:thumbup:

Is there a different/mobile view for any browser available on an iPhone?  Or did the upgrade wreck usability for one of the most popular consumer electronic devices on the planet?

Is there a different/mobile view for any browser available on an iPhone?  Or did the upgrade wreck usability for one of the most popular consumer electronic devices on the planet?
I view the boards on my iphone most of the time. works great.

how has usability been wrecked for you?

Mine going to half screen is becoming a real pia , I'm on a 6s plus

It wasn't all the time but since the rotopass banner it's been all the time. 

Previously, you could get a lot of content relatively condensed and read through it quickly on the mobile view.  Screen real estate is the obvious challenge, so I don't think it works great when you open a topic and your entire screen is taken up by the topic name and who posted it (you already knew all that before you opened it up).  When a user clicks on something, filling the entire screen with stuff they already know and having them scroll to find what they actually wanted is not good usability.

Everything is just way too large and spread out for ease of use on a small screen.  Sure it's all there, but it's like being forced to read a utility bill with a magnifying glass.

Screenshots of an entire screen on an iPhone 5s; look at how little information is actually being delivered on 100% of the screen.

http://imgur.com/a/KpEfb

When others use this link, does it take 20+ seconds to load also?  

Will sorting on the main page using the other method (the one that is not savable) ever going to work or if we only want to see posts we replied in, will we have to use the method MT identified??
The other method has been working for about a week since the indexes finished rebuilding.  See the first entry in the FAQ in the original post.

When others use this link, does it take 20+ seconds to load also?  

Will sorting on the main page using the other method (the one that is not savable) ever going to work or if we only want to see posts we replied in, will we have to use the method MT identified??
The other method has been working for about a week since the indexes finished rebuilding.  See the first entry in the FAQ in the original post.
Thanks Greg... That one still takes me 24.5 seconds to load as well.  Oh well.   Hopefully, one day we'll be able to save the main page sort - which loads like a normal web page.

Thanks Greg... That one still takes me 24.5 seconds to load as well.  Oh well.   Hopefully, one day we'll be able to save the main page sort - which loads like a normal web page.
Hrm, I'm on Firefox on desktop.  The Sort By method top right takes 3-4 seconds in both the Shark Pool and FFA.   I would think it would be done server side which would be the same for everyone apart from internet speed.  Unless it's doing it in memory at the browser in which case that could explain it more, just that doesn't seem a very efficient way to do it.

What OS/browser are you on?  And how long does it take to load the forum for you without sorting?

By the way, that Mark Forum as Read button on the Our Forums page definitely works.  As I just proved by misclicking. 

####.

Hrm, I'm on Firefox on desktop.  The Sort By method top right takes 3-4 seconds in both the Shark Pool and FFA.   I would think it would be done server side which would be the same for everyone apart from internet speed.  Unless it's doing it in memory at the browser in which case that could explain it more, just that doesn't seem a very efficient way to do it.

What OS/browser are you on?  And how long does it take to load the forum for you without sorting?
Oh, the sort method is really quick... I have the same result on my macbook/chrome.  

However, using both methods that are available whereby you can have a saved URL is what takes forever.   Using MT's method to get the topics I replied in or the Activity stream  - both take 20+ seconds for me. 

I was hoping that the sort method could eventually be something that is saved to a URL.  

Previously, you could get a lot of content relatively condensed and read through it quickly on the mobile view.  Screen real estate is the obvious challenge, so I don't think it works great when you open a topic and your entire screen is taken up by the topic name and who posted it (you already knew all that before you opened it up).  When a user clicks on something, filling the entire screen with stuff they already know and having them scroll to find what they actually wanted is not good usability.

Everything is just way too large and spread out for ease of use on a small screen.  Sure it's all there, but it's like being forced to read a utility bill with a magnifying glass.

Screenshots of an entire screen on an iPhone 5s; look at how little information is actually being delivered on 100% of the screen.

http://imgur.com/a/KpEfb
I was trying to quote/reply to Aaron's question, i'm not sure this will show anything other then my reply...

For issues deleting quotes on mobile... once the quote is in the reply window, if you reload the page and click down in reply, does it become deletable then?

So, when I use the "Sort By" tab and try to list "topics I've Replied in" it only gives me the last 25, with no option to load the next 25 (page).

What am I doing wrong?

So, when I use the "Sort By" tab and try to list "topics I've Replied in" it only gives me the last 25, with no option to load the next 25 (page).

What am I doing wrong?

Looks like a bug, doing it for me too.

But if I then edit the URL so it says page=2 instead of page=1 it'll bring up the second page and bring the numbering page numbering back.

Looks like a bug, doing it for me too.

But if I then edit the URL so it says page=2 instead of page=1 it'll bring up the second page and bring the numbering page numbering back.
Nope, it just gives me page two of the whole forum, not my "posted to"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread