What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bob Dylan -- Eephus's Reviews From Walking With His Beloved Dog Bosley During 2019: The Nobel Poet And A Fine Essayist With A Musical Corpus (4 Viewers)

It took three walks spread out over six nights but we finally made it through Time Out Of Mind (1997).

I must have heard this before but it was still pretty much of a fresh listen. We had two young 'uns in 1997 and file sharing was still a few years away for me. It's generally regarded as one of Dylan's best late-period records and at 72 minutes, it's one of his longest studio albums.

It's a solid set of songs that ambles along nicely at the pace of an old dog. Dylan gets a lot of stick for his singing voice but I think he's in excellent voice here. His tone is nasally as usual but his pitch and phrasing are great. He slides into notes like a blues or jazz singer but he always nails the landing. He was 56 when this record came out and has finally grown into the old sage voice that he tried to affect in his early records. Tryin to Get to Heaven and Not Dark Yet are good examples of Dylan's vocal chops at the time.

There's a palpable sense of loss in this record. The lyrics range from wistful to downright sad, which are amplified by and the generally laconic pace of the songs. Cold Iron Bound is the closest thing this album has to a rocker and it's terrific. I'm of two minds regarding Daniel Lanois' atmospheric production. I think he does a good job of recording Dylan's voice but I'm not a fan of the gauzy accompaniment. There are times where it sounds like the band is playing in the next room.

The 16 1/2 minute epic Highlands closes the record. It's interesting to a point as all Dylan epics are. It's ostensibly about aging and loss although his heart remains in the highlands wherever he roams. There are four verses about some interaction with a waitress in Boston and one that seems tailor-made for my nightly walks to Hayes Green with Bosley.

I see people in the park, forgettin' their troubles and woes
They're drinkin' and dancin', wearin' bright colored clothes
All the young men with the young women lookin' so good
Well, I'd trade places with any of 'em, in a minute if I could
I'm crossin' the street to get away from a mangy dog
Talkin' to myself in a monologue
I think what I need might be a full-length leather coat
Somebody just asked me if I'm registered to vote

It's been unseasonably warm in SF since we got back. This city isn't designed for 90 degree temperatures; our flat is like an oven. Boz has been really low key due to the heat. I took him out for a walk in the daytime yesterday but had to turn back after a block. He walked over a hot manhole cover and went down like the elephant in the Edison newsreel. He was fine afterwards and we were able to make our usual loop when it cooled down after dark.

Bumping this so I don't have to search again for what I thought of Time Out of Mind four years ago.

Bootleg Series vol. 17 Fragments - The Time Out of Mind Sessions came out yesterday. There's five CDs with over six hours of music so I've just been poking around it. I don't think it's designed for listening straight through anyway.

The first disc is a pretty significant remix of Time Out of Mind. 2019 me didn't love Daniel Lanois' production saying there were times where it sounds like the band is playing in the next room. The remix sounds more direct with much of the murkiness removed. I suppose it sounds "better" but I have mixed feelings about making changes to the original. At least this is a separate release so I can listen to both.

There are two full discs of different versions of the songs that appeared on Time Out of Mind and later Dylan albums. None of the handful I've listened to were significant improvements on the master takes used on the album. It's still cool to listen to the master in the woodshed working out how he wanted the record to sound. There's also a separate disc of outtakes that seem rougher and more like demos than the fully fleshed out alternate takes. The alternate version of Highlands is two minutes shorter than the 16 1/2 minute marathon but I haven't had a chance to listen for what's missing.

Finally, there's a disc of live versions of the Time Out of Mind songs recorded during the Never Ending Tour between 1998 and 2004. Tracks are taken from ten different shows by my quick count which excites me about what is still in the vaults. The sound quality of the songs I've listened to is mixed but certainly listenable. The live Highlands clocks in at ten minutes.

Last edited:
Glad to see this thread bumped. I don't have an opinion about Time Out Of Mind, nor the sessions, so I'll make way for everybody else.

As it stands, after the Mobile Fidelity scandal, the only two Dylan recordings I own on vinyl are Blonde On Blonde and The Times They Are A-Changin'. I figured out during ownership that Highway 61 Revisited was probably my favorite Dylan, Followed by The Times and Bringing It All Back Home.

Those were my favorites in the end. All great albums. All worthy.

As it stands, after the Mobile Fidelity scandal, the only two Dylan recordings I own on vinyl are Blonde On Blonde and The Times They Are A-Changin'. I figured out during ownership that Highway 61 Revisited was probably my favorite Dylan, Followed by The Times and Bringing It All Back Home.

Those were my favorites in the end. All great albums. All worthy.
Bringing It All Back Home gets forgotten about all too often because of what came immediately afterwards, but it shouldn't be. It's Dylan's nexus LP - sorta like Help is for the Beatles.

Bringing It All Back Home gets forgotten about all too often because of what came immediately afterwards

I think that the visuals that go along with "Subterranean Homesick Blues" maybe make it harder for my particular generation to forget than the music critics of the era or of later eras.

It's a stunning video, cool as all get out and signifies something culturally forward-thinking and important is to come from Dylan, as if it already hadn't.

Bringing It All Back Home gets forgotten about all too often because of what came immediately afterwards

I think that the visuals that go along with "Subterranean Homesick Blues" maybe make it harder for my particular generation to forget than the music critics of the era or of later eras.

It's a stunning video, cool as all get out and signifies something culturally forward-thinking and important is to come from Dylan, as if it already hadn't.
I'm far from a knowledgeable Dylan guy, but I'd peg that performance as the most important of his career. I wonder how widespread the video was and where it was shown? I was a 2 or 3 years old when it came out, so my memory is a little fuzzy on that point :lol:

I was able to scrounge this in a quick link. I don't know how widespread the promotional clip was or what effect it had in 1965, but I know that when they showed it for my generation on MTV, we were pretty mesmerized by it. I think they showed it because INXS had done something similar to the cue card thing and MTV was pointing out the origin of it. That's how I remember it. This was pre-internet, too.

Here's a blurb I found with background information.

Subterranean Homesick Blues is one of the first "modern" promotional film clips, the forerunner of the music video. The original clip was actually the opening segment of D. A. Pennebaker's film, Dont Look Back, a documentary on Bob Dylan's first tour of England in 1965. In the film, Dylan, who came up with the idea, holds up cue cards for the audience, with selected words and phrases from the lyrics. The cue cards were written by Dylan himself, Donovan, Allen Ginsberg and Bob Neuwirth. While staring at the camera, he flips the cards as the song plays. There are intentional misspellings and puns throughout the clip, for instance when the song's lyrics say "eleven dollar bills" the poster says "20 dollars". The clip was shot in in an alley behind the Savoy Hotel in London where poet Ginsberg and Neuwirth make a cameo in the background. For use as a trailer, the following text was superimposed at the end of the clip while Dylan and Ginsberg are exiting the frame: "Surfacing Here Soon | Bob Dylan in | Dont Look Now by D. A. Pennebaker".
In addition to the Savoy Hotel clip, two alternate promotional films were shot: one in a park where Dylan, Neuwirth and Ginsberg are joined by a fourth man, and another shot on the roof of an unknown building (possibly the Savoy Hotel). A montage of the clips can be seen in the documentary No Direction Home.

Really hearing the Chuck Berry in the song now that Dylan mentions it. Probably why I always loved it, even before I was a Dylan fan.
Chuck's way of phrasing was all OVER Dylan's work. Odd timing, run-on lyrics, eccentric stresses...... Both had limited vocal range, though Berry stayed in his lane better than Bob did.

This thread reminds me of being in Italy and Spain in 2019, newly sober, and looking forward to reading Eephus's reviews in my hotel room at night. I especially remember reading these while in Barcelona. Good stuff, and it kept me going through a time that was slightly difficult for me, but ever worth it.

Lou and I met a blind dog at the park the other day. He usually has three feet out the door when he encounters other dogs but he must have sensed the blind dog didn't pose a threat. She was only 8 years old but had lost her sight to a fast moving case of glaucoma a couple of years ago. Both her eyes had to be removed, one was replaced by a prosthetic. It took me back to old Boz in his sunglasses bumping into everything. I miss that guy.

There's a new Dylan album out today.

Shadow Kingdom is the soundtrack to a streamed concert he did in July 2021. It's largely acoustic versions of old songs with nothing more recent than Oh Mercy. The obvious point of comparison is Dylan's MTV Unplugged set from 1994 but almost 30 years on, Shadow King is a more somber, less rocking affair. Dylan as usual reinterprets his own songbook switching up tempos and arrangements from the original versions. The most prominent instrumental voice is Doug Lacy's accordion which is on almost every number. The album is edited so the songs flow seamlessly from one to the next. It's a very enjoyable, mellow album with mostly familiar songs dressed up in new threads. Boz would have loved it.

PBS is showing the accompanying video starting next weekend, check local listings, etc. From what I've read, it's shot in black and white using a different set of masked up musicians (including Buck Meek of Big Thief) standing in for the musicians who played in studio. Not sure why they chose to do it that way but Bob is nothing if not a mysterious dude.

I watched the Shadow Kingdom video on PBS. It's more like an extended music video than a concert film because Dylan and his (fake) band are all syncing to studio recordings. The sets are decorated to look like a Delta Blues club populated by extras dressed in retro clothes. Everybody smokes a lot which looks great in black and white.

Each song is staged in a unique style using a largely static camera that captures the musicians in mid-to-long shots. Sometimes there are dancers or waiters that pass between the camera and the stage. The lack of quick editing fits the laid back nature of the music and makes the viewer seem like a member of the audience in the (fake) club.

Dylan's face is shrouded in shadow for the entire 50 minutes with a halo of his still bushy hair constantly illuminated by backlight. He wears a number of different snazzy suits that contrast with the basic black outfits and face masks of his (fake) band.

I enjoyed it overall. The production is kind of pretentious but I like how it maintained focus on Dylan's music. There were definitely some unusual artistic choices made but the visuals added a bit to a very fine album.

Fascinating long-form Shadow Kingdom review by Christopher Jackson that digs into the many lyrics Dylan changed from the original versions of the songs.

I just read it. I thought "Tombstone Blues" had Mama was in the alley looking for food, too. Not fuse. But I guess we'll all stand corrected.

There's a new Dylan album out today.

Shadow Kingdom is the soundtrack to a streamed concert he did in July 2021. It's largely acoustic versions of old songs with nothing more recent than Oh Mercy. The obvious point of comparison is Dylan's MTV Unplugged set from 1994 but almost 30 years on, Shadow King is a more somber, less rocking affair. Dylan as usual reinterprets his own songbook switching up tempos and arrangements from the original versions. The most prominent instrumental voice is Doug Lacy's accordion which is on almost every number. The album is edited so the songs flow seamlessly from one to the next. It's a very enjoyable, mellow album with mostly familiar songs dressed up in new threads. Boz would have loved it.

PBS is showing the accompanying video starting next weekend, check local listings, etc. From what I've read, it's shot in black and white using a different set of masked up musicians (including Buck Meek of Big Thief) standing in for the musicians who played in studio. Not sure why they chose to do it that way but Bob is nothing if not a mysterious dude.

Forgot to mention that here. Was a nice birthday gift for me. I agree it was pretty good, an easy hour or so listen/watch.

There's a new/old Dylan album out today. As the title The Complete Budokan 1978 suggests, it's the complete set of recordings CBS made of his 1978 concerts at Nippon Budokan. At 58 songs over 4 1/2 hours it's only for the committed.

22 of the tracks were previously released in 1979 as Bob Dylan At Budokan. There are alternate takes of all 22 because Bob and his band stuck to pretty much the same setlist over both nights that were recorded which leaves

I looked back to see what 2019 me wrote about At Budokan. This was pretty early on in my deep dive and I should have mentioned how great Dylan's voice sounds on this album. I definitely like the album a lot more than I did when it was originally released. It makes more sense in retrospect especially because Dylan has spent much of the succeeding 45 years messing around with his canon.

RIP MoCS and Boz.

I saw Dylan on this tour. IT wasn't truly awful but I came away very disappointed.
I'm probably not going to write up any of Dylan's many live albums because Bosley doesn't have the legs for a double album. But for me, Dylan At Budokan remains one of the strangest turns in a career full of them. I remember the local progressive rock station in Madison played the whole album when it came out and it puzzled me then.

He took songs that had great meaning for a generation of fans and radically reworked them for a twelve-piece band. I guess some of them work as standalone pieces but most are just strange. Ballad of a Thin Man sounds like a Southside Johnny record. Knocking on Heaven's Door becomes a reggae number. At Budokan was recorded at the beginning of the tour and I've never had the inclination to listen to bootlegs to see if they evolved later on.

The 70s were the golden age of live albums but it always surprised me that At Budokan marked the third live album released in a six album stretch between 1974-78. There were a couple of label changes (CBS to Asylum and back to CBS) in there, as well as Dylan's divorce but most artists don't release three live albums in a career. If you add in the Bootleg Series vol.5 and almost a full album side in The Last Waltz, that's a whole lot of live Dylan in a very short time.

At Budokan is still probably worth a listen but I won't judge you if you don't make it to the end.

In other news, Cat Power (Chan Marshall) has released an album that recreates Dylan's concert at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in May of 1966, where Dylan played half an acoustic set and half an electric one to the shock of many and over a distinct call of "Judas" from the crowd. The album is called Cat Power Sings Dylan: The 1966 Royal Albert Hall Concert and I'm going to check it out and see what it's all about.

I am really liking this new Dylan release. Perfect background music for a chill Sat AM. The Love Minus Zero/No Limit version is so fun. This alone has made it all worth it.

Not sure how many instrumentals were covered, but this one showed up in my thanksgiving playlist.

Dylan didn't record a lot of instrumentals. Most of them were from his film soundtracks for Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid and My Own Love Song. I looked up what I wrote about Pat Garrett mostly because I wanted to see what Boz was up to.

Boz and I slowly picked out way through the post-Pride crowd to our theme from an imaginary Western.

Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid (Soundtrack) - (1973)

It's not much of a record. There are two proper songs and a bunch of incidental music from the movie. One of the two songs is "Knocking on Heaven's Door" which is just verse/chorus/verse/chorus and is over in 2:12 (Guns N Roses more than doubled that for their cover). The other song is "Billy" which appears in three different renditions. I like "Billy 4" better than Billy 1 or 7 but I don't think the song works. The song is sung to Billy the Kid but never gets inside the character.

The song I picked for the playlist is a gorgeous instrumental called Bunkhouse Theme. It's been decades since I saw the film. It was probably during the VHS era which wasn't ideal for dark movies with lots of mumbling.

Bosley has become a more erratic eater in his old age. He used to wolf down the food as soon as it hit the bowl but will now sometimes leave meals untouched in his bowl. Other times like tonight he'll finish his food and spend the next five minutes licking the empty dish and pushing it around.

Users who are viewing this thread