What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bobby Rainey (1 Viewer)

TartanLion

Footballguy
Searched and couldn't find a specific Bobby Rainey thread. Anybody playing him this week against Cleveland ? Seems like a good one week play against a team with a not great run D, Doug Martin injured and Sims in his first game back.

If so, who you starting him over ?

Seems like a good start in PPR. Went after him somewhat but got outbid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was imagining that Sims would hoover up some receptions maybe, but Rainey could be good for 15+ carries.

For what it's worth Dodds has him ranked above all my RBs ( Tate, Bradshaw, McKinnon, D Robinson and Taliaferro ) for this week, hence why it's in my mind.

I'm starting him in every (12 team, up to 3 RB) league I can get him (standard). Martin is hobbled (doubtful), Sims hasn't played a single actual NFL snap, Rainey is averaging 4.6 YPC this season, and CLE gives up the 3rd most rushing yards per game.

Rainey is never a great play. He's at best a desperation play that could potentially pay off. He has been awful as a starter. He's rushed for better than 3.7ypc in just 2 of his 8 career starts, 2nd worst in the entire NFL. And that was with no one behind him to bench him for if he starts slow or loses an early fumble. He's as likely to have 6 carries for 7 yards with a fumble and then sit the rest of the game as he is to go for 100 yards.

The Browns are a great matchup, so there's hope and it could pay off, but the Falcons were too so there are certainly no guarantees with this guy.

Rainey is never a great play. He's at best a desperation play that could potentially pay off. He has been awful as a starter. He's rushed for better than 3.7ypc in just 2 of his 8 career starts, 2nd worst in the entire NFL. And that was with no one behind him to bench him for if he starts slow or loses an early fumble. He's as likely to have 6 carries for 7 yards with a fumble and then sit the rest of the game as he is to go for 100 yards.

The Browns are a great matchup, so there's hope and it could pay off, but the Falcons were too so there are certainly no guarantees with this guy.
rainey has started two games this year and in both hes been a good to great play so i have no clue what you are talking about?

rainey has started two games this year and in both hes been a good to great play so i have no clue what you are talking about?
It's easy to forget that Rainey had negative points going into the 4th quarter of that Atlanta game and racked up some major garbage time stats while trailing by 50 points. It's unlikely that the Browns will hang 50 on Tampa and equally unlikely that Rainey would get those looks now anyway (what better time to try out Sims?).

Here are Rainey's 8 career starts.

18-35, 1.9ypc (0-0 rec)

17-63, 3.7ypc (2-8 rec)

22-127, 5.8ypc (4- -4 rec)

11-27, 2.5ypc (1-3 rec)

20-37, 1.9ypc (1-4 rec)

11-35, 3.2ypc (1-1 rec)

22-144, 6.5ypc (3-30 rec)

11-41, 3.7ypc (7-64 rec) (had sub 1.0 ypc and negative fantasy points late in the game before some serious garbage time).

Rainey's biggest concern in this game is not just that he's a poor runner, but also that he's weak in the areas where rookies generally struggle (IE things that would normally keep Sims on the bench behind him). Rainey is a below average runner who can't pass block and has poor ball security. He's a good receiver, but so Is Sims and Sims, despite being a rookie that has never played a game, may already be better than Rainey at pass blocking and holding onto the ball.

He's been a complete, useless dud in 5 of his 8 career starts. In one other one he racked up some points while down 50 in a game that otherwise would have been his biggest dud yet. He may be a decent upside play as a starting running back who's had a few good games before against a really bad run defense, but to call a guy that's more likely to throw up three points than 20 a "great" start is very optimistic. Rainey wouldn't be a "great" start against Vanderbilt.

This is fantasy. Those points still count. Im not talking real life here but hes produced as a RB for fantasy purposes many times.

This is fantasy. Those points still count. Im not talking real life here but hes produced as a RB for fantasy purposes many times.
You are absolutely correct.

But he is absolute correct when he analyzes how and why those prior points were scored and attempts to determine whether or not the same will happen tomorrow.

Rainey doesn't haven enough of a body of work to simply say "he gets it done". FreeBaGeL raises some very good points.

Funny how you left out the TDs he's scored and the game where he went 30/163 with 2 recs and 3 TDs. Is he great, no, but is he serviceable in fantasy? Absolutely.

I think real life matters here because Rainey is not the only option like he was in most of his other starts. If he starts slowly like he has in 6 of his 8 starts, it's entirely possible that he spends the 4th quarter sitting on the bench rather than racking up a bunch of those 5 yard dump-offs that saved his last game. He's also been the feature back in those other starts, and there's the risk that this time he won't be.

Like I mentioned, I would be less concerned about Sims if Rainey was your typical veteran that could pass block and protect the ball. He's not though, so there is a lot less risk for Lovie in getting Sims in there than there normally would be, since the worst case scenario is that he can't do the same things that Rainey already can't do.

FWIW, I wouldn't define 3 out of 8 times (2 out of 8 in non-ppr, remember the fumbles in the Atlanta game counted for -4 points in most scoring systems) "many" times, though to be fair as CR69 pointed out he did have another good game where he wasn't the starter but took over the main back role during the game.

He's very much a boom or bust player this week. If Sims weren't active I would be more onboard but I worry about that hurting his garbage time failsafe.

Eta: there was just an excerpt posted in the Sims thread from this morning where Lovie was less confident about saying Sims was ready to go than he had been previously, so that could help.

This.

Rainey sucks.

I heard someone say that if you look at his highlight reel, he looks good. But when you look at his body of work, not so much.

Great stuff FreeBaGeL

I own a Rainey in a few leagues and will be starting him in one this week. I am by no means confident that he will produce, but have some room for optimism because of the matchup. He's been thoroughly disappointing with his substantial opportunity this year- I thought he had a chance to be a difference maker going into the year if Douge slipped or got hurt.. Its clear to me now he is nothing more than a replacement level back with fumble issues. I have been trying like hell to sell him this week with the news that he's going to be starting against a tasty matchup. I've been largely unsuccessful and have only received a 3rd round rookie pick in one league.

Great stuff FreeBaGeL

I've been largely unsuccessful and have only received a 3rd round rookie pick in one league.
take the 3rd, he has no longterm value and most likely very little short term value either. The 3rd is better than dropping him onto the WW in a week or two.

Damn. I picked him up off waivers thinking I had a gem. But this chatter is making me doubt whether I should bench garçon or Donnel for him at flex. I haven't watched any TB games this year, is there o-line horrendous?

I just looked over his box score this year and he hasn't been that bad. He will most likely get 20+ touches based on the RB distribution the past 2-3 weeks. Cleveland has also been abysmal against the run lately, but who knows. NFL Ds have been bi-polar this year.

Who gives a #### when his points come or what his ypc are? There is only one stat that matters and that is how many points is he going to put on the board. If someone is even considering starting Rainey they have no other options so start with confidence. He may put up 5 points or 20 points, either way it doesn't matter. If you are in a spot where Rainey is relevant your season is already over. Some of you guys can really over think this game.

I know rainey helped me win some games last season down the stretch. The only game I saw of him this year he was fumbling like crazy.

Do not start Rainey. This guy is garbage.
I must strongly disagree with this advice.

ESPECIALLY since Sims is out.

I know rainey helped me win some games last season down the stretch. The only game I saw of him this year he was fumbling like crazy.
That is true for a lot of people. Unless you are a fan of a team they played, and got the game + watched it, most people have only seen TB play on that horrific THF game here in ATL

So yeah... Sims apparently isn't active.

I'm tempted to start Rainey over maybe Tate or McKinnon. I think it could be a close game and Rainey looks good for around 20 odd touches now against what is a fairly poor run D.

So yeah... Sims apparently isn't active.

I'm tempted to start Rainey over maybe Tate or McKinnon. I think it could be a close game and Rainey looks good for around 20 odd touches now against what is a fairly poor run D.
Sims will be active but will only play in an emergency, i.e. an injury to Rainey or James.

Edit: my bad, now they've deactivated Sims altogether.

chauncey said:
Who gives a #### when his points come or what his ypc are? There is only one stat that matters and that is how many points is he going to put on the board. If someone is even considering starting Rainey they have no other options so start with confidence. He may put up 5 points or 20 points, either way it doesn't matter. If you are in a spot where Rainey is relevant your season is already over. Some of you guys can really over think this game.
Some of us don't play in 10-team public ESPN leagues, trailer-park.

chauncey said:
Feel free to stop talking

Also, FWIW, in my main league, the 6-2 most-points first place guy is starting Rainey today, and I wish I was. Who wouldn't want to start Murray, Ingram, and Rainey this week as their RB's?

56 yards in the first 11 minutes
That is like a month's worth of production from Doug Martin.
Bump that to 107 yards with 10 minutes to go in the 1st half

chauncey said:
Oops

Users who are viewing this thread