What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Booger (1 Viewer)

SHIZNITTTT

Footballguy
Former 49ers TE Brent Jones: “[Booger McFarland] is a defensive lineman that doesn’t know anything about the game and it’s a travesty that that’s Monday Night Football.”

“The Garoppolo thing has me a little fired up. I really am frustrated with, you know, Snot Nose, or Loogie or Booger or whatever the guy’s name is. You know what? I try not to throw people under the bus most of the time, BUT, you are a very, very average defensive lineman your whole career and if I could pick anybody on a team that knows less about what’s truly going on offensively and defensively, it would be a defensive lineman. Rush the passer, stay in your lanes, play the gaps, tackle the guy. That’s it. You don’t care what coverage, you don’t care what linebackers are going. You might know a game or something you’re playing. You don’t know pass patterns, you don’t know what running backs are doing, you don’t know anything. So, I get it, he’s a guy that was left over because Jason Witten didn’t make it. But, dude, don’t come and bring your quarterback analysis into the prime time of Monday Night Football when you’re just a Jag on a crappy team, you’re just a guy. That got me fired up last night.

You tell me about Jimmy Garoppolo and his mechanics or whatever and he’s just a little off, while on the flipside he’s like, “Oh Baker Mayfield, oh I like what Freddie Kitchens is doing, I like what the Browns; Oh Baker Mayfield has had some ups and downs tonight.”

I’m like, “Really? Show me an ‘up.’ He got up after he was flat on his back.”

So, I was not happy with that analysis at all. I have to say, I know he’s working hard and he’s trying. But he’s a defensive lineman that doesn’t know anything about the game and it’s a travesty that that’s Monday Night Football. Sorry.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/dfnmwk/former_49ers_te_brent_jones_booger_mcfarland_is_a/

This totally reads like an angry grandpa making fun of a younger guy.
Uncalled for, but accurate

Booger just can't intelligently talk about offense like someone like Tony Romo can.  His comment about Mayfield having his "ups and down" made me laugh.  What ups did he have?  He kept ragging on Garoppolo, who didn't play great, but played much better than Mayfield.  How many times did he ask if the 49ers were for real?  

That's just a bad broadcast team on MNF.   

Weird to even bring his playing career into it. I'm sure countless DL today and throughout NFL history would vehemently disagree with his general comments about Defensive Linemen and their knowledge of the game of football. You can say Booger knows nothing about the game of football without making it about the position he played or even his own career. Most of the absolute worst analysts today were incredible players. Many of the best analysts never played a snap in the NFL. 

Not defending Booger as I lean towards Brent's viewpoint of his value to the broadcast, but I can count on less than one hand the color commentary guys that were actually bearable on MNF.

Never a huge fan of Gifford or Don MEredith, Dierdorf was a doofus, big fan of Dennis Miller but that experiment was a failure, Fouts was wooden and subjective, Kornheiser and Jaworski were un-listenable-to.

Boomer, Madden, and Gruden -- those guys I could actually listen to/enjoy. Paired with Cosell and Al Michaels.

Don't get me started on SNF.

Point being this: it's rare that you find broadcasters that people can tolerate. And maybe, as bad as it may seem, some of this lies more on us viewers who are incredibly hard to please.

I am glad they put the Boogermobile back in the garage. 

Boogers voice is super annoying and he say's "I love" about everything. The other guy is ok but this is the worst team doing games.

Yeah Brent, everyone knows that the tight end position... that's where all the football smarts are. :shrug:

I assume he was drunk when making these comments? That's how it reads to me anyway... some drunk, in a bar, whining about announcers. If sober, then he sounds like a real ###hole. Like ConnSKINS26 mentioned, you can not like the commentary (nobody does), but why the personal attack mode BS?

Having said that, I'm no fan of this version of the MNF crew either, but at least they got rid of WItten... I mean, what was a tight end doing in the... oops.

Meh, hot takes are hot.

As far as dragging his position and career into it, the position thing was ill-advised. As to career, one has to assume those resume details are relevant to getting these guys the broadcast opportunities in the first place so some of that is live by the sword, die by the sword. If Booger knows football broadly and deeply, his knowledge is not coming across in a broadcast. 

I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to announcers, I don't get why people get all riled up about it.  I like Joe Buck, and Chris Collinsworth, and all the other people that everyone else seems to hate.  But the MNF crew is unlistenable.  I'm not defending Brent Jones's comments and it has nothing to do with Booger's credentials as a player or whatever.  But they're just terrible on TV, by far the worst in the business right now.   

MNF used to be the crown jewel of NFL viewing. I find it hard to believe that this is the best crew they could find to do this. The biggest problem is that they are all boring, which is an issue since MNF games haven’t been the best matchups.

Is it me or are Boogers eyes way too white? Is it just MY tv? But it's just him.

I mean, they are bleached white like no one elses. It's kind of disturbing.

He's either pounding the Visine or they're computer enhancing his eye color like they do the yellow first down line on the field.

... oh, and I'm not a fan of his commentary as he adds almost NOTHING of interest to my viewing. 

He's a former defensive lineman ... makes sense that he doesn't have much knowledge to converse about what the QB is seeing, how the WR was supposed to square off that route and why the Safety wasn't in position to make a tackle ...

... but he couldn't even give us insight into the pass rush technique and failed blocking strategy when Bosa is all over the QB on every pass play. Wouldn't that be where Booger would shine?? I'm noticing now the Browns bringing a TE to that side to help ... Booger is unaware. He's in WAAYYY over his head.

There has to be at least a dozen people better suited for his job. Doesn't even have to be a former player. How about a former coach? 

Booger is likable enough.  Just don't care to listen to him drone on.  He likes playing Captain obvious too.  "Right here, he needs to loosen up and allow the play to come to him. No need to rush right here, you have a 28 pt lead, with 45 seconds left.  Just trust your coaching and execute.  I love how he is progressing through his reads."   

Thanks for the insight, booger.  This MNF team is the worst so far.   

MNF used to be the crown jewel of NFL viewing. I find it hard to believe that this is the best crew they could find to do this. The biggest problem is that they are all boring, which is an issue since MNF games haven’t been the best matchups.
That's what blows my mind.

MNF is THE marquee game of the week for the most popular sport in the country.

And this is what we get?

And this is what we get?
It used to be yeah, now it's SNF and the ability to flex.  This week, we at least get a good NFC North matchup.

And this is what we get?
One thing you have to remember is that CBS and FOX get to protect an allotment of games each week.  One late afternoon marquee game, the Sunday night game, the Thursday night game, then Monday night.  Some weeks, there just won't be four games that fit the bill for a prime slot.

Booger is a hack. He just talks too much and he really is Cap't Obvious.

"jumping out of an airplane, without a parachute, is a once-in-a-lifetime experience!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
FOX Line Up, let's go over the roster here...

Buck and Aikman: I could go on and on how sad it is to go my entire adult life with Joe Buck being the play by play on all big Fox Games for at least the last 20 years I'll say. He is another one of those that clutches the rosary beads in the booth, in general I hate him and I don't believe he even played flag or street football. I'm not sure what kind of guy he represents but he just looks like that VP in the office that has his head up everyone's ### and likes to eat yogurt and a banana like clock work at 7:15 AM everyday. Aikman is appealing to Dallas fans which is half the audience but to the rest of us he is pretty one sided and I would much rather listen to Romo. Aikman is from a different era and he usually isn't enlightening on anything new. I turn the sound down when I have to watch whatever game their calling as a stand alone and not on RedZone. 

Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis: This duo doesn't bother me at all. KB has a certain tone quality that can be very enjoyable on a lot of the games he covers. I've always found Davis to not over talk and peppers in his comments as needed. He's not a windbag. This tandem lets the game flow to them instead of trying to make every play feel like a historic moment(Collinsworth). Burkhardt almost sounds like a baseball announcer at times, perhaps he does both like Buck. Pam Oliver also gets the sidelines...25 years she kinda knows what she's doing and I don't usually roll my eyes when she chimes in. It's usually relevant and she is pretty good at relaying body language with players on the sidelines. 

**** Stockton and Mark "Stinks": Stockton is really old and I can remember growing up in the early 80s listening to him. He still is a comforting voice and he gets out of the way of the CC most of the time. Stink is alright but would be better in a 3 man booth. I don't think either of these two bring a ton of insight into what SHOULD be happening vs what is happening but you can do worse than Stockton for a couple hours. He has taken on the #### Enberg role. 

Kenny Albert and Ronde Barber: This is an alright combo, Albert pretty much just calls the game straight forward, doesn't offer a ton of opinions as to not offend. Barber is more of the same, doesn't over analyze or say much that would offend, at the same time this combo doesn't take the game to the next level. Kenny is no Marv but I do know when I hear his voice it's likely an NFL game. 

Chris Myers and The Moose: Myers is like the mayor, he calls the game but he always seems like the happiest person in the stadium to be there. He can get a real cruddy game and make it interesting. I have been a fan of Myers for a long long time, he used to host a Sat NFL preview show on Fox Sports about 15-20 years ago and I always saw him as one of the pre-game show types and then he got lost in the shuffle when they were making the talking heads permanent on these shows. Johnston doesn't hurt and because Chris doesn't act like a know it all, it usually allows Moose the latitude to react quicker since Myers is agreeable to mostly anything he says. 

Thom Brennaman and Chris Spielman: This is usually one of the strongest combos on the menu. Brennaman has a great speaking voice and tone that can enhance a good/great game most of the time. Spielman is Mr Tough and these two make for a pretty good combo. I enjoy when Brennaman is paired with Aikman, for whatever reason that's usually when I enjoy Aikman the most and why I love when Buck disappears for the World Series. 

And this is what we get?
MNF hasn’t been the marquee game in 15 years. SNF easily dwarfs it. The TNF schedule looks better this year as well. 

FOX Line Up, let's go over the roster here...

Buck and Aikman: I could go on and on how sad it is to go my entire adult life with Joe Buck being the play by play on all big Fox Games for at least the last 20 years I'll say. He is another one of those that clutches the rosary beads in the booth, in general I hate him and I don't believe he even played flag or street football. I'm not sure what kind of guy he represents but he just looks like that VP in the office that has his head up everyone's ### and likes to eat yogurt and a banana like clock work at 7:15 AM everyday. Aikman is appealing to Dallas fans which is half the audience but to the rest of us he is pretty one sided and I would much rather listen to Romo. Aikman is from a different era and he usually isn't enlightening on anything new. I turn the sound down when I have to watch whatever game their calling as a stand alone and not on RedZone. 

Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis: This duo doesn't bother me at all. KB has a certain tone quality that can be very enjoyable on a lot of the games he covers. I've always found Davis to not over talk and peppers in his comments as needed. He's not a windbag. This tandem lets the game flow to them instead of trying to make every play feel like a historic moment(Collinsworth). Burkhardt almost sounds like a baseball announcer at times, perhaps he does both like Buck. Pam Oliver also gets the sidelines...25 years she kinda knows what she's doing and I don't usually roll my eyes when she chimes in. It's usually relevant and she is pretty good at relaying body language with players on the sidelines. 

**** Stockton and Mark "Stinks": Stockton is really old and I can remember growing up in the early 80s listening to him. He still is a comforting voice and he gets out of the way of the CC most of the time. Stink is alright but would be better in a 3 man booth. I don't think either of these two bring a ton of insight into what SHOULD be happening vs what is happening but you can do worse than Stockton for a couple hours. He has taken on the #### Enberg role. 

Kenny Albert and Ronde Barber: This is an alright combo, Albert pretty much just calls the game straight forward, doesn't offer a ton of opinions as to not offend. Barber is more of the same, doesn't over analyze or say much that would offend, at the same time this combo doesn't take the game to the next level. Kenny is no Marv but I do know when I hear his voice it's likely an NFL game. 

Chris Myers and The Moose: Myers is like the mayor, he calls the game but he always seems like the happiest person in the stadium to be there. He can get a real cruddy game and make it interesting. I have been a fan of Myers for a long long time, he used to host a Sat NFL preview show on Fox Sports about 15-20 years ago and I always saw him as one of the pre-game show types and then he got lost in the shuffle when they were making the talking heads permanent on these shows. Johnston doesn't hurt and because Chris doesn't act like a know it all, it usually allows Moose the latitude to react quicker since Myers is agreeable to mostly anything he says. 

Thom Brennaman and Chris Spielman: This is usually one of the strongest combos on the menu. Brennaman has a great speaking voice and tone that can enhance a good/great game most of the time. Spielman is Mr Tough and these two make for a pretty good combo. I enjoy when Brennaman is paired with Aikman, for whatever reason that's usually when I enjoy Aikman the most and why I love when Buck disappears for the World Series. 
Pretty good post. I like Burkhardt a lot. It will never happen but I wish he was the #1 at fox. He also makes baseball listenable. 

Booger is really terrible.   His badness was covered up by WItten, who was utterly lost as a broadcaster in every way.   Booger is a more polished broadcaster but I think his actual analysis is even worse than Witten's.

Users who are viewing this thread