What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Borrowing From Your Future Self - a vicious dynasty cycle (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
I just had a rookie draft in a 16-team PPR SF TE-P IDP league. I had 0 picks heading into this draft because I dealt them all last year in an effort to “go for it” - which paid off since I won the ‘ship.

But as such things go, when a value fell, I got antsy and once again took out a loan from future me.

It started modest. Gentle, even. I dealt my 2025 3rd, 4th & 5th for a 2024 4.09, 5.09 & 6.09

My plan was to use those 3 picks to grab a little IDP depth. But like a crackhead with a fresh rock, plans are seldom followed by a dude like me with some chips to push in the middle.

When all was said and done, I’d traded my 2025 2nd through 7th picks, leaving me with only my 1st. I also dealt roster clogger AJ Dillon & my 7th safety Ji’Ayir Brown, which cleared 2 spots, so I’ll call that a bonus.

I nabbed 4 players I really liked at the value, including a QB dart throw and IMO the best IDP in the draft, but now the idea is percolating to “go for it” - and move my 2025 1st for a player (TE/WR/RB) that can help me win again. 😬

It’s a vicious cycle.

Last edited:
I have the same problem…. I can’t stop tinkering
Admittedly I would tinker more if I could find willing trade partners that want to “sell low” 🤣
I’m not sure I got any bargains - but some folks don’t mind moving 3 picks to get 3 picks higher the next year. It’s a solid move if you’re looking for picks.

And on the flip side if you’re happy with your squad, moving out of the 4-5-6 rounds for upgrades the next year is a sharp move. Better trade-bait, too. Otherwise you’re just picking up rookies & cutting players to get down to roster size on cut day anyway.

Personally I’m a draft day bargain hunter. When I saw only the 2 IDP (LBs from GB & LAC) taken at 2.13 & 2.15, respectively, and the idea of getting Dallas Turner for the 3.01 leapt out at me. My DEs are good, but I only have 1 elite, and this is big play scoring. That was my #1 defensive player in the draft.

And then Rattler dropped to 3.16 & the deal get him was even softer.

A favorite sleeper TE dart throw in McLaughlin dropped to 6.09, and the last potential 3-down LB fell to 6.16 - so I moved the 2025 6-7 for him.

If any one of those 4 hits, it was probably worth it, especially Rattler. I can’t see NOS paying Carr $10M roster bonus + $30M salary for what he’s giving them. :shrug:

And if not, I can always do the same thing in 2024. :pickle:

I don't see any issues here. Especially considering you seemed to show reasonable restraint waiting until the 4.9 to strike. SOP if you're reloading a team that was good enough to win last year. My only hesitation would be if the draft capital would give you more bang for the buck spending on veteran help at the trade deadline when you know where your team stands. But I'm sure that was in your equation.

I know that the one round premium is standard, but I'm not sure that it should be that late in the draft. That's not much of a premium that you're paying for one year of accelerated development when this year's draft was reasonably deep with all the WRs (but I can't speak for the IDP side).

At least your all-in move got you the championship. I'm missing my late 1st for the prize that is Dameon Pierce, who provided zero quality starts on my way to losing the championship by 3.5 points because I didn't have a safe 3rd RB to plug in for a disinterested Tee Higgins, completely oblivious to his opportunity to put me over the hump.

At least your all-in move got you the championship. I'm missing my late 1st for the prize that is Dameon Pierce, who provided zero quality starts on my way to losing the championship by 3.5 points because I didn't have a safe 3rd RB to plug in for a disinterested Tee Higgins, completely oblivious to his opportunity to put me over the hump
Ouch. Sorry to hear.

Part of my all-in netted me Chubb, Pittman, & Amari Cooper, all of whom got hurt for various periods, but not before helping to advance my squad. Ironically, James Conner was the healthiest acquisition, which still blows my mind.

There are roster limits...but there are no limits on future picks owned. It's a cheat code. When you stack up enough future picks you eventually control the league. After enough years you will have acquired young assets and so many future picks that you can buy any player you want to dominate. it takes patience, but i've seen it happen.

Last edited:
I don't see any issues here. Especially considering you seemed to show reasonable restraint waiting until the 4.9 to strike
Well, no. Lol

I packaged a 2025 2 to move to 3.01 & struck.

Then dealt the 4.09 + 5.09 for 3.16

It was all very frenzied and harrowing and not at all the calm picture you paint. :lol:

More than anything, I'm surprised your league has folks patient enough to punt a year away just for the possibility of gaining a half-dozen spots if they're lucky, maybe just a single spot if they're unlucky. Don't these people know that dynasty leagues can just abruptly end? You can always commit to yourself right now to trade these youngsters away to restock your 2025 draft if they hit. You still own them forever as the guy who drafted them.

Were these trades made prior to the draft, or did your league actually figure out a draft format to facilitate trading picks while on the clock? I really wish one of mine could get on that.

I don't see any issues here. Especially considering you seemed to show reasonable restraint waiting until the 4.9 to strike
Well, no. Lol

It was all very frenzied and harrowing and not at all the calm picture you paint. :lol:

More than anything, I'm surprised your league has folks patient enough to punt a year away just for the possibility of gaining a half-dozen spots if they're lucky, maybe just a single spot if they're unlucky. Don't these people know that dynasty leagues can just abruptly end? You can always commit to yourself right now to trade these youngsters away to restock your 2025 draft if they hit. You still own them forever as the guy who drafted them.

Were these trades made prior to the draft, or did your league actually figure out a draft format to facilitate trading picks while on the clock? I really wish one of mine could get on that.
It’s all through MFL, and yeah, all trades happened while someone was OTC.

Sometimes I’d have to negotiate with an owner a few picks ahead, get rejected, move on to the next person OTC.

The hardest was 6.16. Rejected 5 picks in a row. Finally got a taker, who happened to pick 2 picks later as well.

There are roster limits...but there are no limits on future picks owned. It's a cheat code. When you stack up enough future picks you eventually control the league. After enough years you will have required young assets and so many future picks that you can buy any player you want to dominate. it takes patience, but i've seen it happen.
Not everyone in my league is as cavalier with their future picks as I am. They do make for good trade capital, but a 4th and 6th are still only worth so much.

My league almost refuses to accept any trade that has future picks in the trade (beyond the upcoming season). We can trade up to 2yrs ahead, and I think MAYBE 1/20 trades would ever include a pick beyond this year.

Otherwise Id be selling nonstop

Well, no. Lol

In a league like mine, I wouldn't worry at all about selling everything but my first. But your league is a totally different story, so it's hard for me to compare. Those extremely deep lineups and rosters make all those picks worth much more than they are in my league. But still, I see nothing inherently wrong with mortgaging the future for today if you are in win now mode, and especially if you have a very good team already dynasty-wise.

But still, I see nothing inherently wrong with mortgaging the future for today if you are in win now mode, and especially if you have a very good team already dynasty-wise.
It’s a little risky in that I have some aging assets. And it’s hard to make the playoffs in a 16 team league. The schedule & BYE week goes sometime frown upon you, as does injury or just slumping luck.

My mentality is if I look like I’m gonna miss the playoffs, I’ll sell all my aging assets for 2026 picks at or near the deadline.

I’m strongly considering acquiring 2 more aging assets today to really go for it again. And again, using my future draft picks (this time, 2x 1sts)

But still, I see nothing inherently wrong with mortgaging the future for today if you are in win now mode, and especially if you have a very good team already dynasty-wise.
It’s a little risky in that I have some aging assets. And it’s hard to make the playoffs in a 16 team league. The schedule & BYE week goes sometime frown upon you, as does injury or just slumping luck.

My mentality is if I look like I’m gonna miss the playoffs, I’ll sell all my aging assets for 2026 picks at or near the deadline.

I’m strongly considering acquiring 2 more aging assets today to really go for it again. And again, using my future draft picks (this time, 2x 1sts)
Yeah that's a little scary ... but if it does result in back-to-back titles, "make like a warship and frig-it"! You'll eventually have picks to build back, and can sell the old guys for whatever picks you can get.

Yeah that's a little scary ... but if it does result in back-to-back titles, "make like a warship and frig-it"! You'll eventually have picks to build back, and can sell the old guys for whatever picks you can get.
Yeah, totally.

One other consideration is that if it works and the assets you acquire for the picks net you a championship or 2nd place finish, the picks you dealt away are much less valuable.

They still have value, but in a large league format, that 1.16 is basically 2.04 in a 12 teamer. The later the pick, the worse value (3.16 = pick 48, or equivalent to 4.12)

So in terms of value paid vs asset value, it does work in favor of spending the picks. That said, if it fails (and with aging assets there’s significant risk of spectacular failure) you can be left high and dry with an old team and no youthf

Agreed.

Another consideration is that the picks you trade away for aging assets will be less valuable if it works. No one getting my picks last year thought they were getting 1.16, 2.16, etc. They’re still valuable - especially in IDP with 22 starters.

And in larger league formats those later picks are exponentially less valuable. 3.16 = 4.12 in a 12 team league, for example.

The risk is if it doesn’t work, at some point one could get stuck holding the bag, with an aging roster & no incoming youth to balance it. That’s the bad place. 😬

So I need to be ever mindful of my team falling off of a cliff - and if I sense that happening, I’ll sell off assets at the deadline, targeting a year out (2026 if it happens this year) - a team “going for it” might lay a 1st & 2nd for Cooper/Conner, for example. Do enough of that without decimating your core and you’re right back to competing after a year or 2 of building.

But if the point of playing FF is winning the ‘ship, I think it’s a fine, if underutilized strategy.

In my other 16 team league I have one of the prettiest rosters in the league. The whole team is basically under 25, lots of sexy names - they were 1st in points and got bounced in the 1st round of the playoffs.

That team still has most of the 2025 picks, and 2x 1sts & 2x 2nds in 2026. I’m starting to consider bowing more from 2025 over there, too.
;)

Sauce, is this a Zealots league?
No, it’s an MFL private league, why?
Just wondering. I was in a few with folks who post here.

I was an awful dynasty manager :lol:
I’m not sure if I’m a good dynasty manager or bad - but the results aren’t bad!
As a commish the one thing that scares me are those that sell out all their picks for a bunch of old guys and whether win or lose leave the league high and dry with geezers and no picks. It is my opinion these guys /. gals should only play redraft. The worst part of being a commissioner is replacing teams like this.

As a commish the one thing that scares me are those that sell out all their picks for a bunch of old guys and whether win or lose leave the league high and dry with geezers and no picks. It is my opinion these guys /. gals should only play redraft. The worst part of being a commissioner is replacing teams like this.
1. This is why we pay in advance for future years. If I leave the league, my 2025 is free for the new manager.

2. You’re assuming a lot about my roster - of my 22 starters (and most of my bench) 70% are under 26. Puka, Breece Hall, TLaw, Pittman, Gabe Davis, Ernest Jones, Kmet, and a stacked IDP core of youth. It’s not like I’ve mortgaged everything for old players. More filled in the gaps.

And when I target aging vets, I try to make sure I’m going to get 2-3 years out of them. If I went out and got Deebo & McLaurin today, I could flip both at the deadline or next year. Maybe even at a profit. Guys like Amari Cooper who’s likely got a year or 2 left in the tank.

Rest assured, this league would have no problem finding someone to replace my team.

Not that I’m going anywhere. If I move 2026 picks I’ll have to pay ahead for that year too. Both my 16 team leagues are like that - wanna move figure picks? Great - league fees due upon selling them. It’s a very good policy, and IMO every league should do this to prevent the exact scenario you describe.

But personally I like rebuilding - it’s an exciting and fun challenge. Like I said, if things break bad, I’m gonna be working the lines at the deadline selling off every asset 27 to get picks to do a soft-rebuild around my youthful core.

Last edited:
There are roster limits...but there are no limits on future picks owned. It's a cheat code. When you stack up enough future picks you eventually control the league. After enough years you will have required young assets and so many future picks that you can buy any player you want to dominate. it takes patience, but i've seen it happen.
I've not taken it to this extreme, and probably won't, but this is one of the strategies that has worked well in yr 4 of a SF TE premium big play IDP dyno. I focused on early-mid career types in the inaugural draft, plug holes with 4+ round picks during the season, only trade away for a top 3 round pick, stuff my bench full of backup QB's, and focus on trading back & out during the draft. I had 4 picks in the top 35 in 2022, 3 in the top 25 in both 2023 and 2024, am sitting on an extra 1 and two extra 2's in the future, and have been in the title game all 3 years (1 win). If anything, that last piece has slowed my roster build, as I still haven't made a rookie pick inside the top 15.

I've not taken it to this extreme, and probably won't, but this is one of the strategies that has worked well in yr 4 of a SF TE premium big play IDP dyno. I focused on early-mid career types in the inaugural draft, plug holes with 4+ round picks during the season, only trade away for a top 3 round pick, stuff my bench full of backup QB's, and focus on trading back & out during the draft. I had 4 picks in the top 35 in 2022, 3 in the top 25 in both 2023 and 2024, am sitting on an extra 1 and two extra 2's in the future, and have been in the title game all 3 years (1 win). If anything, that last piece has slowed my roster build, as I still haven't made a rookie pick inside the top 15.
Interesting. In my other 16-team IDP PPR SF TE-P (start 1 TE) I drafted the start-up, and during the start-up I dealt away my 2023 & 2024 1st & 2nd rounders plus picks 32 & 48 (drafting Lamb+AJB with the return picks). Through trades I now have 1x 2025 1st, and 2x 2026 1sts, 2x 2026 2nds. It never occurred to me to stockpile, but I'm expecting next year's draft to be a bit thin offensively, and I expect my pick to be late. So I'm thinking about moving that 2025 1st for a 2026 1st & 2nd to get a few more early chips to draft or trade with in 2026.

Honestly not sure if the slippery slope that @BINGBING states is even realistic - someone would need to be more committed to collecting picks than roster building, as that person would be dealing out of the draft every year to accumulate that sort of stockpile. At some point you have to spend them & focus on roster building. And as mentioned, not every team is as cavalier about dealing their picks as I am in this particular league, with this particular build. And when I dealt all those picks, it was over the course of 5 trades with 4 different owners. So...not one owner is sitting on a hoard like Smaug in the Great Hall of Thráin. lol

I suppose in theory one could build a stockpile large enough to rule them all, but it's easier said than done. And this will be my last LotR reference. My precious.

Last edited:
Honestly not sure if the slippery slope that @BINGBING states is even realistic - someone would need to be more committed to collecting picks than roster building, as that person would be dealing out of the draft every year to accumulate that sort of stockpile. At some point you have to spend them & focus on roster building.
Objective is to add at least one (preferably more) picks during the season. That way you can both add talent and kick the can annually. I started last season with an extra 2 in 24 and 25. Then I traded Baker and added another 2 in 24. I used both of them and my own, but I traded 1.11 for a #1 in 25 and #2 in 26. So now I have three extra picks in the next two drafts. If this season goes like the last 2 then I'll add another, use some, but sell some for more futures. QB erosion is how this plan will fall apart, but I have the arsenal to address the problem if that happens.

Honestly not sure if the slippery slope that @BINGBING states is even realistic - someone would need to be more committed to collecting picks than roster building, as that person would be dealing out of the draft every year to accumulate that sort of stockpile. At some point you have to spend them & focus on roster building.
Objective is to add at least one (preferably more) picks during the season. That way you can both add talent and kick the can annually. I started last season with an extra 2 in 24 and 25. Then I traded Baker and added another 2 in 24. I used both of them and my own, but I traded 1.11 for a #1 in 25 and #2 in 26. So now I have three extra picks in the next two drafts. If this season goes like the last 2 then I'll add another, use some, but sell some for more futures. QB erosion is how this plan will fall apart, but I have the arsenal to address the problem if that happens.
Just goes to show that there are many approaches to dynasty - and each have their own potential risks and rewards.

Still, I’d rather employ one of these ideas than be one of the perpetual youth chasers trying to have the prettiest of youngest roster. At some point you have to try to win.

As long as you're getting good value there's no issue. It's when people are desperate to get in a draft, are a bad team and overpay for mediocre picks with future capital that is obviously going to be worth more. The 1.01 in my league the last two years has been the same team, he hasn't had the pick either year and gave it up for 1.09 (David Bell) and something else nothingy the year before.

Just goes to show that there are many approaches to dynasty - and each have their own potential risks and rewards.

Still, I’d rather employ one of these ideas than be one of the perpetual youth chasers trying to have the prettiest of youngest roster. At some point you have to try to win.
Thank you

Obviously you want to keep injecting youth onto your team, but so many teams go overboard and it keeps them from seriously competing. Especially true with the 30 or approaching 30 WRs. These guys are still really good yet you can’t give them away in trades or you can acquire them at great value. Currently have Tyreek, Evans, Diggs and Keenon Allen along with some young studs like Jefferson and Marvin Jr. Decided to shop Allen or Diggs before the NFL draft and the asking price was minimal but you would have thought I called their mothers a loose woman (keeping it clean). No big since we can start 4 WRs but the teams I was shopping to were teams that could contend but have less than stellar WRs. Oh well.

Honestly not sure if the slippery slope that @BINGBING states is even realistic - someone would need to be more committed to collecting picks than roster building, as that person would be dealing out of the draft every year to accumulate that sort of stockpile. At some point you have to spend them & focus on roster building. And as mentioned, not every team is as cavalier about dealing their picks as I am in this particular league, with this particular build. And when I dealt all those picks, it was over the course of 5 trades with 4 different owners. So...not one owner is sitting on a hoard like Smaug in the Great Hall of Thráin. lol

I suppose in theory one could build a stockpile large enough to rule them all, but it's easier said than done. And this will be my last LotR reference. My precious.
I played for years with a guy that went to hard in the paint with it...to the point where he was doing things like trading 1.08 and 1.09 for 1.06 because he had so many picks at draft day he was trading them away like candy to just turn around and move up a couple spots with them.

What i'm talking about is having a 2024 mid 1st and moving it for a late 2024 1st and mid 2nd, then moving that late 2024 1st for a 2025 1st and 2025 2nd, then moving your two 2024 2nd's you still have for a 2025 1st. I've sold 2.04-2.06 picks several times for a 1st the next year.

During the season i've had a lot of success selling a backup QB or RB that gets the starting role along with a 3rd for a 2nd. I then sell that 2nd during the draft for a future 1st. It has it's downside...In 4 leagues I sold Purdy like this during the 2023 season.

Thank you

Obviously you want to keep injecting youth onto your team, but so many teams go overboard and it keeps them from seriously competing. Especially true with the 30 or approaching 30 WRs. These guys are still really good yet you can’t give them away in trades or you can acquire them at great value. Currently have Tyreek, Evans, Diggs and Keenon Allen along with some young studs like Jefferson and Marvin Jr. Decided to shop Allen or Diggs before the NFL draft and the asking price was minimal but you would have thought I called their mothers a loose woman (keeping it clean). No big since we can start 4 WRs but the teams I was shopping to were teams that could contend but have less than stellar WRs. Oh well.
And this is where all it takes is one delusional owner. I have a league where nobody will make an offer for Diggs, but in another Superflex league today I sold him for a 2025 1st that will easily be between 1.01 and 1.03. I turned around and traded down from 1.11 (CUZ I LOSE IN THE TITLE GAME EVERY FREAKIN YEAR) to 2.03 and 3.03, then turned the 2.03 into JSN. I turned Diggs and 1.11 into JSN, 3.03 and a 2025 1.01-1.03

And this is where all it takes is one delusional owner. I have a league where nobody will make an offer for Diggs, but in another Superflex league today I sold him for a 2025 1st that will easily be between 1.01 and 1.03. I turned around and traded down from 1.11 (CUZ I LOSE IN THE TITLE GAME EVERY FREAKIN YEAR) to 2.03 and 3.03, then turned the 2.03 into JSN. I turned Diggs and 1.11 into JSN, 3.03 and a 2025 1.01-1.03
I get what you’re saying, but it’s kind of apples and oranges since my team won the ‘ship last year.

So the teams that traded for my picks ended up with 1.16, 2.16, etc.

Hard to flip those in the way you describe. And by getting more picks than 0 in the rookie draft this year through trade of future assets, I added youth and talent to my roster for another run.

I also just dealt my 2025 1st & 2026 picks for Deebo + McLaurin + a LB, beefing up for another run.

And if it things break bad and my record sucks by the deadline, I’ll move Conner, Stevenson, Cooper, TMc, & Deebo for as many future early picks as possible.

Your strategy only really works if the team you’re getting the picks from finishes in the bottom.

But I agree, it’s a good strategy.

Last edited:
Well that's the thing is your trade partners were willing to give you later round pucks for your future picks, which should be valued towards the end of those rounds.

For the NFL I heard this year that some team front offices value future picks at 10% of current season value.

To me that sounds too extreme. But I think you are getting more for your future picks than you should here.

It's all about price. At the right price point I am a buyer or seller of picks.

I am certainly going to use some form of time value discount for future season picks.

There are roster limits...but there are no limits on future picks owned. It's a cheat code. When you stack up enough future picks you eventually control the league. After enough years you will have acquired young assets and so many future picks that you can buy any player you want to dominate. it takes patience, but i've seen it happen.
I played for years with a guy that went to hard in the paint with it...to the point where he was doing things like trading 1.08 and 1.09 for 1.06 because he had so many picks at draft day he was trading them away like candy to just turn around and move up a couple spots with them.
These are contradictory to some degree. In my experience the draft pick hoarder is always like your second statement. They get so many picks that they can't do anything with them and end up trading them for more future year picks and then start the cycle again the following year.

That guy is always playing for "next year" and next year never comes.

Our league really values rookies and draft picks. Right now you couldn't sell a vet for proper value. Mid-season though, everyone is in on that vet to fill the hole in their roster. Our league is very active and will trade a ton during the draft and during the year.

Just know your league and whos willing to do what. Mid-season is the time to accumulate picks when selling players. Right now it costs a fortune to move up in the draft or buy a pick especially this year.

2024 NFL draft was a record for # of picks going in the first round that have fantasy relevance. As a result I have found everyone is valuing 2024 picks very high. With 6 QBs often taking up the first 15 picks in a SF draft that just means WRs and RBs go later and those late 2nds or even early 3rds still have a lot of value.

If you managed to stack 2024 picks you are laughing.

I sold all my 2024 picks last year to gear up for a title run, and then got smacked in the semi's by the eventual champ and finished 3rd. Going into this rookie draft with no picks, so I decided I'd flip my 2025 1st a player to get my 2024 1st back. The guy I'd given it to has hoarded picks and is now looking to consolidate or defer them so he's not drafting 12 guys in a 5 round draft. So now I'm doing like you HSG, looking at dealing 2025 picks to shore up the edges of my roster for another run, but trying to pick up a young player or pick while I can because of an aging team (Tyreek, Evans, Chubb, Sutton, Ridley)...

2024 NFL draft was a record for # of picks going in the first round that have fantasy relevance. As a result I have found everyone is valuing 2024 picks very high. With 6 QBs often taking up the first 15 picks in a SF draft that just means WRs and RBs go later and those late 2nds or even early 3rds still have a lot of value.

If you managed to stack 2024 picks you are laughing
Well said. The flip-side of that is 2025 could be below average since so much talent came out this year.

And using the strategy suggested would be fantastic if the wheel stops and you’re loaded with 2024 picks, but what if it’s 2025? Maybe notsomuch.

As for me I still managed to keep my first round pick which was 1.12 as I won. But I sold my 2024 2nd, my 2025 1st, 3rd, and 4th as well as my 2026 3rd and 4th in an attempt to win it all. And I did manage to win so it was worth it.

Having said that I sure wish I had my 2024 2nd and a bit more future pick/ammo to move into the 2nd round in this 2024 draft. So many good players will fall in the 2nd and Its going to be really hard for me to sit back and just watch. I've already talked to the managers with 2.01 to 2.06 and no one is willing to budge. They all know how stacked this draft is at the top of the 2nd. I would have to massively overpay and I don't have teh future fire power to do it.

My team is pretty stacked but seeing QBs like Nix/Penix sitting there in the 2nd round is wild and I wish I could snag some of that value. When was the last time you saw a top 12 drafted QB sitting at the 2.02-2.05? Unreal value but I can't seem to get back into the early 2nd without backing up the truck....

If you managed to stack 2024 picks you are laughing
Well said. The flip-side of that is 2025 could be below average since so much talent came out this year.

And using the strategy suggested would be fantastic if the wheel stops and you’re loaded with 2024 picks, but what if it’s 2025? Maybe notsomuch.
We never really know what the future will look like. If you went back 1 year and looked at some 2024 mock drafts it looks nothing like our current ADP/drafts. So much changes in a year.

Having said that if you really need an RB and miss out on Brooks or Benson I would be actively trading into the 2025 1st round to get RBs. Supposedly a lot of quality RBs coming out next year. if you need QBs this is the year to do it. Or even 2nd round (fantasy) WRs are pretty solid this year.

Our league really values rookies and draft picks. Right now you couldn't sell a vet for proper value
I feel like now is the time to buy vets, and prior to the deadline is the time to sell vets.

All depends on how your team is doing.

That’s another aspect of Dynasty that I think a lot of folks miss…your roster is not a static thing. Your team being competitive or it’s not is both a theory and a reality, and that changes as the year goes on.

Folks work hard on roster builds with their favorite players or players they think they bought low on, or they’re obsessed with youth, etc.

You can both love your build and be realistic about whether it has a chance to win or not. If a team keeps falling short, flipping some assets, or acquiring them at the trade deadline can be a good way to inject some life.

Your future draft currency won’t help you win a ship this year. If you’re in a championship window, I see no issue in spending it now to get a leg up on your competition.

And you can always sell those players for picks later. Just don’t wait too long if they’re old. Even that sometimes surprises - I sold Evans the year before Brady retired thinking “this is the last time I’m gonna see a potentially early 1st for him. His hammies keep having issues and he’s only getting older.”

Yeah, so…a couple years later and Evans is still balling, and his hammies somehow haven’t been a problem. You could probably still get a 1st for Evans.

As for me I still managed to keep my first round pick which was 1.12 as I won. But I sold my 2024 2nd, my 2025 1st, 3rd, and 4th as well as my 2026 3rd and 4th in an attempt to win it all. And I did manage to win so it was worth it.

Having said that I sure wish I had my 2024 2nd and a bit more future pick/ammo to move into the 2nd round in this 2024 draft. So many good players will fall in the 2nd and Its going to be really hard for me to sit back and just watch. I've already talked to the managers with 2.01 to 2.06 and no one is willing to budge. They all know how stacked this draft is at the top of the 2nd. I would have to massively overpay and I don't have teh future fire power to do it.

My team is pretty stacked but seeing QBs like Nix/Penix sitting there in the 2nd round is wild and I wish I could snag some of that value. When was the last time you saw a top 12 drafted QB sitting at the 2.02-2.05? Unreal value but I can't seem to get back into the early 2nd without backing up the truck....
That’s the price you paid to win it all. I already paid that price last year, so I feel like “in for a penny, in for a pound!”

Like many, I try to look at my team in 2-3 year chunks, and plan around that.

Ya can’t win every year. You’re lucky to win 1 year in a 16-team format. I’m playing with house money right now, and if I don’t win for the next 3-4 in here, it was still worth it.

Having said that if you really need an RB and miss out on Brooks or Benson I would be actively trading into the 2025 1st round to get RBs. Supposedly a lot of quality RBs coming out next year. if you need QBs this is the year to do it. Or even 2nd round (fantasy) WRs are pretty solid this year.
Yep - I’m feeling like if it’s not working, I’m going to target 2026 picks.

Not because I have any intel on the 2026 draft, but because managers totally undervalue future picks 2 years out, & I can more easily get more for my assets that way.

Also those 2026 picks will look sexier before the 2025 draft if I want to get crazy & use em to get back into the draft again.

But I also don’t mind standing pat - losing at FF is just a part of FF. It’s something we should talk about more on these forums. For all the winning folks talk about, I’d be willing to bet that most folks here with multiple leagues also lose a lot. It’s inevitable - injuries, bad luck, etc. I have a few leagues - doing a complete rebuild in one of them made me a lot more zen about losing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread