What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (5 Viewers)

10/11 days ago?  Allowed me to purchase 1 bottle.  All the ORVW and BTAC stuff was unavailable, i'm assuming due to the time of year it is.  They had Blantons for $60 but i've seen overpriced Blantons if I wanted to get I could...but i've never seen the Birthday Bourbon here in SWFL, although i'm somewhat new to the addiction  hobby of collecting Bourbons so it was a pretty easy choice to go with the Old Forester.

They invited me to shop the vault again this last Friday but for wine only.  Mostly Cabs, no Bordeaux that I saw, some looked pretty rare but I didn't know what I was looking at enough to back that assertion.  Up to $700/bottle from what I recall.
Yeah, I got the wine one Friday.  I've gotten that invite a few times and passed every time. Just not my jam.  I had one for Bourbon a couple weeks ago where I grabbed Rhetoric 25. That must have been the one you got BB in...I just didn't recall seeing it.

Some Barrel can be good, but like [icon]said it is sourced and different each batch. I have some Batch 5 that I like 

Decent haul today.  Got to total wine just as the allocated stuff was rolling out.  Thanks to a fellow random hunter who pointed the guy rolling the juice out I was able to grab 2 Elmer T Lee single Barrell, 2 blantons a calumet farms 14, an eagle rare and a caribou single Barrell off allocated.  Pretty decent for my neck of the woods to get these at retail.

cheers

Decent haul today.  Got to total wine just as the allocated stuff was rolling out.  Thanks to a fellow random hunter who pointed the guy rolling the juice out I was able to grab 2 Elmer T Lee single Barrell, 2 blantons a calumet farms 14, an eagle rare and a caribou single Barrell off allocated.  Pretty decent for my neck of the woods to get these at retail.

cheers
Houston?

@[icon] Sadly, I'm not a huge fan of the Rhetoric 25.  Part of that may be that I was expecting it to be barrel strength so it lacked the viscosity and mouthfeel I like but it turns out it's only 91 proof so that's on me.  It was definitely smoothed out as you would expect from something that old. None of the typical warm undertones I prefer like vanilla or caramel or rich fruits.  The best flavor I can come up with is tobacco.  Maybe that's what the experts refer to as "over-oaked".  It was absolutely better than the 25 year gimmick at the Heaven Hill tasting but nothing I would buy again.

@[icon] Sadly, I'm not a huge fan of the Rhetoric 25.  Part of that may be that I was expecting it to be barrel strength so it lacked the viscosity and mouthfeel I like but it turns out it's only 91 proof so that's on me.  It was definitely smoothed out as you would expect from something that old. None of the typical warm undertones I prefer like vanilla or caramel or rich fruits.  The best flavor I can come up with is tobacco.  Maybe that's what the experts refer to as "over-oaked".  It was absolutely better than the 25 year gimmick at the Heaven Hill tasting but nothing I would buy again.
Damn. Did it get dry / toothpicky on ya? 

Good writeup! You're way better at that than me :)  

Top Shelf Sampler: Confirming everyone is okay With Customizing Pack from Options? Wanted to be sure to give you guys what you want since it's kinda pricey. 

1) @top dog - OK
2) @Megla - OK
3) @CGRdrJoe
4) @Desert_Power
5) @kutta
6) @acarey50

Don't submit options yet but this is an image the current tentative list:

From Left to Right:
1) 1992 ceramic decanter Old Commonwealth from JP Van Winkle Distillery (link to image since it's decanted)
2) 12yr Van Winkle Lot B - 2017 Release
3) EH Taylor Special Release "Four Grain"  2018 Release
4) Willett Family Estate 11yr #438
5) Willett Family Estate 12yr  #3656
6) BTAC George T Stagg - 2019 Release (124.9pf) 
7) BTAC William Larue Weller - 2018 Release (125.7pf)
8 )BTAC Thomas H Handy Rye - 2017 Release (127.2pf)
9) Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12yr Squat - 2014 Release
10) Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon - 2016 Release

To put this in perspective, I'd say these bottles generally range from ~$400 to over $1000, with an average of around $600 or so. Leaning toward a $90 price point. 

NOTE: I'll also be including a special mystery pour in ALL 3 groups. 
So I cracked open the first of my selections. The 1992 ceramic decaner of Old Commonewealth.  The first thing that caught my eye on this one was the light color of the whiskey. By far the lightest of the samples I got. First impressions on the first sip was "WOW. @[icon] knows his friggin whiskeys!" It is smooth as hell. Almost has a cinnamon? type taste to it. 

Excellent bourbon.

So I cracked open the first of my selections. The 1992 ceramic decaner of Old Commonewealth.  The first thing that caught my eye on this one was the light color of the whiskey. By far the lightest of the samples I got. First impressions on the first sip was "WOW. @[icon] knows his friggin whiskeys!" It is smooth as hell. Almost has a cinnamon? type taste to it. 

Excellent bourbon.
Glad you like! It's very unique bourbon. Pretty different than the "Van Winkle" flavor profile many think of today. It was distilled by Julian van Winkle III at the Old Commonwealth Distillery in Lawrenceburg. A little bit of history here: http://www.ellenjaye.com/oldrip.htm

Enjoy! 

Everyone is paid up and addresses are in hand. Thank you to those who threw a few extra bucks in.

THE GOOD NEWS:

As a thank you I'm going to insert a sampler bottle of this (Blantons Straight from the Barrel) in the pack of one of those "extra" folks. No joke, Blantons SFTB is orders of magnitude better than regular Blantons. IMO it's in my top 3 commercially available bourbons. I've been very lucky to get many bottles brought home from Germany via Military buddies over the years. Most of those bottles have been consumed or given as gifts. 

I'm ALSO going to throw a special treat in another... a sample of the illustrious, elusive "California Gold".  This is one of the harder bottles of bourbon to get your hands on... as it can only be procured direct for the Mad Scientist behind it. This is generally ONLY available via one secret Facebook group. It is somewhat of a legend in the bourbon world...

THE BAD NEWS:

My weekend did NOT go according to plan, had some stuff pop up so I've not had a chance to pour and pack these. Hoping to knock that out tonight / tomorrow and get them all out via USPS tomorrow.  

:banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
Spectrum and Bucket list samplers are OTW via USPS Priority Mail! 

Heads up: BE CAREFUL not to wipe the numbers off the bottles. They're on there in sharpie but if your hands are wet (especially with alcohol) they will come right off and you won't know what you drank. 

Bucket List Folks: you've got a pretty strong lineup of all bourbons with one Barrel proof offering. 

Spectrum Folks: As requested there is a big range here. I won't go into detail so I don't ruin the surprise but there is one pretty rare/discontinued item in there. You've got two high/barrel proof offerings in there and not everything is bourbon so be prepared for the unexpected. :)  

Everyone got a 6th bottle wifh a question mark on it. That is the same "'mystery bottle" that the Top Shelf folks got. Intrigued to see how perceptions of that go. 

No spoilers on who got the two special bottles :)  It was totally random (had the GF drop in open envelopes) 

I'll repost the survey links (unless someone wants to dig them up and bump them?). I very much look forward to feedback and seeing what you guys like and don't like, 

Wheeeeeee!!!! ;)  

icon, I am so glad you are having fun with this...I am and recieved a bottle surprisingly/fbg's so...duh of ...bourbon...in t shirt exchange

Just missed an OFC 1994 at list price. It was in my cart and as I contemplated my marriage somebody snatched it. Probably for the best.  Anyone had it? @[icon]

Just missed an OFC 1994 at list price. It was in my cart and as I contemplated my marriage somebody snatched it. Probably for the best.  Anyone had it? @[icon]
I was too late!  8 minutes after the email (damn job meeting) and I missed it!!  By the time I got there all I could buy was that sweet, sweet $500 Whistlepig.  ugh.

I was too late!  8 minutes after the email (damn job meeting) and I missed it!!  By the time I got there all I could buy was that sweet, sweet $500 Whistlepig.  ugh.
Yeah, I passed on the Whistlepig Samurai Chemist stuff as well.  Not a fan of rye in general. And I generally pass on the products that are intentionally/artificially high priced from the blender/distiller. I may be wrong on that one but it's in the same category for me as Kentucky Owl and some of the other similar ones that reek of marketing fluff.

Just got back from Zion, went to mailbox, and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It's not there. 
If I want I can go down to my P.O. real early and get it/look for it. I work there, so if it has been sorted/scanned, I can get it before it get to my carrier.  I can get my liquor at 4am legally.

Edit: my guess is that it will come in on the 2:30 am truck from Pittsburgh. Maybe I'll go down there then and see. 

I recieved my saucy package today...from one of my favorite towns it appears. I am sure that isn't so surprising with my site name and image lol...

Finished up my bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked tonight while grilling some ribeyes.

Needed to clear space so I have an excuse for a new bottle.

I am too dumb to understand exactly what I'm drinking (bourbon, whiskey, rye), but these are bottles I've bought over the last few months in the $25 - $50 range that were tasty:

Templeton Rye
The Glenlivet 12 YR Single Malt Scotch
Four Roses Small Batch
Sonoma Distilling Company Bourbon Whiskey

I am too dumb to understand exactly what I'm drinking (bourbon, whiskey, rye), but these are bottles I've bought over the last few months in the $25 - $50 range that were tasty:

Templeton Rye
The Glenlivet 12 YR Single Malt Scotch
Four Roses Small Batch
Sonoma Distilling Company Bourbon Whiskey

How did you like the Four Roses Small Batch?

Grocery store has Four Roses Small Batch (priced at $42 but on sale and my ####### cut the sale prices off of my picture) and Four Roses Small Batch Select (regular price $70). I was thinking of picking up one of those.

They also had Jefferson's Reserve ($70 for 750ml) and Calumet Small Batch ($70, but down to $53 - that one I didn't cut the price off the pic)

Users who are viewing this thread