What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (3 Viewers)

How did you like the Four Roses Small Batch?

Grocery store has Four Roses Small Batch (priced at $42 but on sale and my ####### cut the sale prices off of my picture) and Four Roses Small Batch Select (regular price $70). I was thinking of picking up one of those.

They also had Jefferson's Reserve ($70 for 750ml) and Calumet Small Batch ($70, but down to $53 - that one I didn't cut the price off the pic)
The Four Roses Small Batch is the most expensive bottle I've purchased ($50 including tax) and it's excellent. Mellow, rich and smooth.

Just wanted to add, there is zero pressure to hurry up and drink all these. Drink them at whatever pace you like. Just try to take notes for the survey.. that's always a fun way to look back at the results and what people tasted. 

Just wanted to add, there is zero pressure to hurry up and drink all these. Drink them at whatever pace you like. Just try to take notes for the survey.. that's always a fun way to look back at the results and what people tasted. 
 Now that I am recovered from the hangover I had drinking these and then dipping into other stuff I am just dying to know what I drank. 

Redwes25 said:
 Now that I am recovered from the hangover I had drinking these and then dipping into other stuff I am just dying to know what I drank. 
I had too many beers this weekend so I chose to wait on my samples for that very reason. :lol:  I plan on partaking this week. Perhaps one a day or something. Will take notes for survey completion. 

1st Friday of the week for me...was going to do 2 random samples, after the 2...felt judgemental haha on to 3...so far...4,2,5...random except saving ? Hmmm thinking 4

h soon behind...and well patience at enjoying myself isn't a strength...js...

JUST realized I got one of the bonus bottles! thanks @[icon]!!  I didn't empty the contents of the bubble envelope, I've just been reaching in and taking one out like a grab bag, so didn't see that there was an extra bottle until I peaked into the bag as I was making tonight's selection.  Sample consumed for today. Notes made.  3 down, 3 to go. 

JUST realized I got one of the bonus bottles! thanks @[icon]!!  I didn't empty the contents of the bubble envelope, I've just been reaching in and taking one out like a grab bag, so didn't see that there was an extra bottle until I peaked into the bag as I was making tonight's selection.  Sample consumed for today. Notes made.  3 down, 3 to go. 
You have a lot more self constraint then I do. 

Got mine yesterday, will start drinking them over the weekend. Anybody have tips on whether I should do one per day or a couple per day or just take a night and try them all back to back?

What's the best site for me to buy a few bottles and have them shipped to my cousin?

I'm in NC he is in Chicago.

Sweet! The Gf was in charge of picking so You can thank her. 😂 

Which did you get? 

Got mine yesterday, will start drinking them over the weekend. Anybody have tips on whether I should do one per day or a couple per day or just take a night and try them all back to back?
I missed out on this due to being on a timeout but any time I’ve done a tasting I like to do a few in one evening/sitting as I feel it gives me a better comparison.  I wouldn’t do all of them at once if it’s more than 3-4.  Maybe back to back evenings?

Supposed to do bourbon tasting tonight at my place but not sure if it will work out as one of the participants came down with COVID this week.  

It just has a single "?" on it. Saving that bad boy for last. 

Also, you forgot to take the headache out of these! :lol:  
Oh no, everyone got the ?. That's a mystery bottle. 

Two people got 7 bottles.  The extra 7th bottle is labeled either SFTB (blantons straight from the barrel) or GOLD (secret California gold blend.. one of the most famous and hard to find whiskeys on the secondary market). 

Last edited by a moderator:
As a thank you I'm going to insert a sampler bottle of this (Blantons Straight from the Barrel) in the pack of one of those "extra" folks. No joke, Blantons SFTB is orders of magnitude better than regular Blantons. IMO it's in my top 3 commercially available bourbons. I've been very lucky to get many bottles brought home from Germany via Military buddies over the years. Most of those bottles have been consumed or given as gifts. 

I'm ALSO going to throw a special treat in another... a sample of the illustrious, elusive "California Gold".  This is one of the harder bottles of bourbon to get your hands on... as it can only be procured direct for the Mad Scientist behind it. This is generally ONLY available via one secret Facebook group. It is somewhat of a legend in the bourbon world...

:banned:
The details on the two special "golden ticket" bottles 

Big League Chew said:
regular blantons are selling for about 250 there
Wow!  prices are getting high.  Local liquor store here lets me know when they get in Blantons and we can buy at 80 or so. 

Actually, he lets my wife know, which I don't truly like to admit but at least she likes the hobby!

Wow!  prices are getting high.  Local liquor store here lets me know when they get in Blantons and we can buy at 80 or so. 

Actually, he lets my wife know, which I don't truly like to admit but at least she likes the hobby!
Yeah i found a hidden liquor store that nobody touches bourbon wise.  So I’m always walking with blantons and trace.  They have some expensive knob creek not sure if they’re any good. Like $80 a bottle

I got the SFTB, thanks @[icon]!!  It's a little ironic since Blantons is my favorite (due mostly to this thread) and I haven't been able to find any in 2 years, so this will be relished.

Big League Chew said:
regular blantons are selling for about 250 there
That is insane. It's pretty readily available for half that, and even that is high. 

$250 is starting to get closer to SFTB territory. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the SFTB, thanks @[icon]!!  It's a little ironic since Blantons is my favorite (due mostly to this thread) and I haven't been able to find any in 2 years, so this will be relished.
Awesome! Love that it seems to have landed in the right place. SFTB is basically Blantons concentrate... uncut, unfiltered, just dump and pull most of the big pieces of char out.  I've had long time bourbon fans (some who own liquor stores) try a taste with me and their faces just light up. It's GOOD. 

Awesome! Love that it seems to have landed in the right place. SFTB is basically Blantons concentrate... uncut, unfiltered, just dump and pull most of the big pieces of char out.  I've had long time bourbon fans (some who own liquor stores) try a taste with me and their faces just light up. It's GOOD. 
are any of the 80-100$ knob creeks any good?

are any of the 80-100$ knob creeks any good?
IMO the best Knob Creeks are 120 proof store picks if you can find them. 

You're getting 14-15 year old bourbon at near barrel proof, for ~$50. They're delicious, and incredible value.  Even if the high proof isnt your style, cut with clean water and you'll be very very happy. 

I'm not very familiar with the Knob Creek 12yr or 15yr varieties as I don't feel the need to pony up the extra for them. Can't really help there, sorry. 

That is insane. It's pretty readily available for half that, and even that is high. 

$250 is starting to get closer to SFTB territory. 
Yea, the local here has it for $95 and I laughed at him, sorry not going to pay that for a 65 dollar bottle, I'll just wait for a Vault invite

I Even if the high proof isnt your style, cut with clean water and you'll be very very happy. 
Any opinion of the Old Limestone water?

I bought several bottles to fill my 2 L barrel when I put 1.75s in there but I've never cut my bourbon with it, I usually pour on the rock(s)

Any opinion of the Old Limestone water?

I bought several bottles to fill my 2 L barrel when I put 1.75s in there but I've never cut my bourbon with it, I usually pour on the rock(s)
I haven't tried it, so my opinion isn't worth much... but My first read is it's a gimmick. Buffalo Trace uses filtered municipal water to proof down their bourbon. 

If I'm proofing down it's generally just a few drops so I'm not sure it would make a big difference anyway. I don't fault anyone for liking it though. Everyone's palate is different. 

Didn't see Blantons at retail for 8 months, had to buy one at $150 just to try it, now i've picked 4 up in 3 weeks at Total Wine.  Is this seasonal or is Blantons ramping up production in the states since they're adding the SFTB and Gold to the US market?  Maybe just good timing for me.

ADHD Whiskey and Bourbon Junkies entertain me on the youtuber (aside from those 2 fellas mentioned above).  Watched some of Bourbon Night too.

Users who are viewing this thread