What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

I started a Louisville distillery trip thread here last month, but thought I’d ask the bourbon aficionados here…

Spending a night in Bardstown in the coming weeks. Don’t think time for a tasting before heading to Lincoln’s birthplace followed by Maker’s Mark that afternoon, before heading to Louisville.

But I do think time to quickly see and visit a distillery to hit the shop in the morning and see if anything should pack in the suitcase to bring back… should I hit Heaven Hill or Willett? Something else in Bardstown? (I live in an ABC state, so assume my local selection is pretty weak).

For Louisville part, I’ve got booked tastings at Evan Williams, Michter’s, Rabbit Hole, and Angels Envy. 
I think Willett is probably the pick there. When I went their tour was booked but the place looked great and I've heard great things.  Heaven Hill is interesting but somewhat homogeneous...you won't see anything there that you won't see at every other distillery. I enjoyed the Barton 1792 tour but mostly because it was no frills and very industrial.  I believe they are discontinuing tours at the end of this month.

I think Willett is probably the pick there. When I went their tour was booked but the place looked great and I've heard great things.  Heaven Hill is interesting but somewhat homogeneous...you won't see anything there that you won't see at every other distillery. I enjoyed the Barton 1792 tour but mostly because it was no frills and very industrial.  I believe they are discontinuing tours at the end of this month.
Thanks - I was leaning Willett, and this seems consistent with that. I don’t get those at my local ABC, and was thinking about seeing if could get some of their rye, as fan of Manhattan and Sazarecs.

I heard the same thing about the Barton tour. 

Regarding the gift shop: I was in the gift shop at Barton a couple years ago and if memory serves,  you could get Very Old Barton, 1792 small batch, and the bourbon creme, the latter probably being the only relatively hard thing to find.

I heard the same thing about the Barton tour. 

Regarding the gift shop: I was in the gift shop at Barton a couple years ago and if memory serves,  you could get Very Old Barton, 1792 small batch, and the bourbon creme, the latter probably being the only relatively hard thing to find.
I forgot about that. They also sell a chocolate bourbon cream there that is very unique.  Generally not a fan of sweet liqueurs but that stuff is awesome and not sold anywhere else.

Back from my trip and thought I'd give some of my thoughts on what I experienced. Just going in order of what I visited. Spent one night in Bardstown and two nights in Louisville.

Bardstown area:

• Heaven Hill - I did not do a tour or tasting, but went into the gift shop. Visitor center is pretty massive (renovated in 2021 for anyone who has done earlier trips). Gift shop had a pretty good selection of stuff (particularly for stuff like shirts, glasses, etc), but whiskey selection was pretty standard and I did not see much whiskey that looked rare to me. If I make it back there, I'd probably try to do a tour there.
  • Willett - Again, I did not do or tour or tasting, but went into the gift shop. I was looking for the 4 year family estate rye, but they had none there (except for mini's, like you'd find on an airplane); a pretty good selection of some of their stuff, but I did not want to buy without tasting. I did eventually find a bottle of rye in a liquor shop, which I brought back with me. As above, would like to do a tour some time.
  • Maker's Mark - Tour was fantastic and a pretty picturesque setting. Nice that they were there to greet you at tour check-in with ability to purchase a drink before the tour begins. Paid the money for a bottle of 46 to "dip" in the wax myself.
  • Other Bardstown thoughts: 1792 was indeed closed to the public. Not many good food options in the town itself. Grabbed dinner at the bourbon bar at Talbott Tavern (oldest bourbon bar, opened in 1779). Food was so-so, but pretty good selections (I had some Preservation Rare Perfection 15 year) and knowledgeable/friendly bartender.  On a non-bourbon note, I did enjoy my side trips to the Lincoln birthplace and boyhood home at Knob Creek, and glad I was able to cross those off the bucket list.
Louisville:

• Evan Williams - Probably the weakest one that I went to, but timing worked out as they opened at 10am and able to get an extra tour out of the day. Interesting videos, with a bit of a biography of Evan Williams himself and early distilling in Louisville.
  • Michter's - Probably my favorite one that I went to in Louisville. Loved their stuff. Brought home some Sour Mash, mostly because not available by me. I'm going to work their rye into my rotation.
  • Rabbit Hole - Newer one; pretty modern distillery. Good tour and enjoyed their stuff too. Would have brought some home (probably the Dareinger) as I can't find in Virginia ABC stores, but their bottles are rectangular and thought a bit too wide for my protectors designed for wine bottles. Another one that had bar that could buy a drink at while waiting for a tour. Also a bar for upstairs after the tour; good view of Louisville from there. 
  • Angel's Envy - This one was a good one, but I may have been a bit too hungover from day before to enjoy properly. Tasting was pretty standard with just their bourbon and rye, that are all pretty widely available.
  • Other Louisville thoughts: Dinner at Doc Crow's one night. Great selection of bourbons and good Southern food. Solid location near Old Forester (which I would have liked to have done, but tours were all booked for the weekend, even when we looked a couple of months ago).

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I see this thread again, I remembered I wanted to give an update of my own...

The latest stops on my tour through the bargain basement, I have tried:

Jim Beam (white label, the basic one?): Not bad, didn't move the needle.

Maker's Mark (again the basic offering): A little more interesting than the Beam but not much.  Again, not bad, just not moving the needle.

Bernheim Wheat Whiskey: I'm really starting to like the little store in Beltsville, MD that's between my parents' house and mine;  besides beating Total Wine on prices, they're generally more interested in matching customers up with what they're looking for instead of pushing more expensive and/or store brands. The same guy who talked me into the Smooth Ambler Contradiction last year talked me out of a more expensive brand into this one. Not a favorite but it definitely gets better after the first sip.

Benchmark: I saw a sign for it in the front window of the liquor store closest to my house and since I never heard of it I looked it up. The consensus on it was that it wasn't bad, especially for the price ($8.99 for 750ml at the not Total Wine, $20.49 for 1.75L at Total Wine). It has a bit of a burn on the way down that a splash of water fixes, and is just interesting enough otherwise on the palate to get the job done. I'll probably get a big bottle to have for after my taste buds have been dulled enough by the first round of something better.

At this point I think I've sampled enough of the basement (there are a few others I'll probably try but I feel I've suffered enough) to settle on something that's at the top of my normal price range and I'll be happy with: the Smooth Ambler Contradiction. At ~$30, it's just cheap enough that I can get away with keeping it on hand, especially as I'm trying to limit myself to one purchase per month, and the other brands in my regular rotation are closer to $20 and even a little less.

Finally, I want to bring up again this place in Beltsville, MD where I'm going to be buying more over Total Wine. It's called Lax Wine and Spirits.  They also have a store in DC for those who are based there and/or northern VA. It's straight up Route 1 from the Capital Beltway, so it's not bad to get to despite being a congested area.  I stood up and took notice when I saw they were selling Laphoroiag 10 for $40 while my Total Wine was selling it for $53. They have been consistently lower on the brands they both sell, and while they don't carry a lot of the brands that Total Wine does (since TW usually 'sponsors' many of the brands available only in their stores), and they don't do memberships where you earn points with purchases, it's a great alternative. In addition to the money I saved on the Laphroiag, I also saved $5 on 750ml Jameson Black Barrel. I've been visiting my parents just about every weekend since before I knew this place existed and now it's a part of my routine to stop there on my way home. Not sure if any of you are in that neck of the woods but if you are, give it a shot.

@Don Quixote

Nice  review of your  tours.  I agree Makers grounds and tour is top notch. 
The one thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the tiny samples for the tasting. At first I thought the glasses hadn’t been filled.  I’m curious if that’s standard or were they more generous when you were  there?

I also visited 4 Roses and while  the grounds and tours are just ok the tasting experience was top notch. 👍 

4 or 5 samples large enough for several sips, water and oyster crackers to cleanse your palate and an eye dropper to add a splash of water to your sample if desired.  

@Don Quixote

The one thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the tiny samples for the tasting. At first I thought the glasses hadn’t been filled.  I’m curious if that’s standard or were they more generous when you were  there?

I also visited 4 Roses and while  the grounds and tours are just ok the tasting experience was top notch. 👍 

4 or 5 samples large enough for several sips, water and oyster crackers to cleanse your palate and an eye dropper to add a splash of water to your sample if desired.  
I thought Maker’s was average for pours. I got a couple of sips out of each one. Here’s pic I took. Glasses were pretty big relative to alcohol in it.

I drove by Four Roses and that one looked good. Will have to work it into a future trip. (ETA: It looks like I drove by the bottling facility rather than the distillery, but they do tastings at the bottling facility too.)

@Don Quixote

I agree with BOTH of your tour-takes. I just got back from doing several tours/tastings. You were spot on with both of those reviews. 

Did Four Roses have any "special" offerings in the gift shop the day you were there? I was only allowed to purchase one Single Barrel Barrel Proof Select on my visit.

I haven't posted much recently - trying to lose a little weight (with mixed results).

Had a recent whiskey tasting at my house - will list that drink list plus some new-ish bottles I've tried or opened:

• Knob Creek Rye (store pick) - solid rye;  was $50.  Think it needs a little more time being open but it's solid and I enjoy it
  • Old Pepper Rye (store pick) - good, didn't love it.  Had a note that I didn't care for, kind of grassy
  • Mythology (birthday gift!) - this was very unusual;  it's a bourye blend but was very rye forward.  If I had drank it blind I would have sworn it was a rye.  Enjoyed it a lot but was kind of throne off as it wasn't nearly as sweet as I was expecting
  • Henry McKenna - 10 year - just solid.  I know the price has gone up but if you can still get it for MSRP I would do it.  Just really good bourbon
  • Four Roses SB Barrel Strength - had this before but got my own bottle;  I love this bottle, delicious
  • Early Times BiB - got the new offering after it switched to Sazerac;  still really good for the price point but not as good as Brown-Forman offering
  • Redbreast 12 and Lustau - had these back on St. Patrick's Day, not sure I talked about it in here.  Really, really good Irish
  • West Cork Barrel Strength Irish - this one surprised me;  not a ton of barrel proof Irish out there and this one delivered.  Really enjoyed it a lot
  • Green Spot - tad overpriced but it's really, really good.  Would have to be considered for daily Irish sipper if it wasn't so pricey
  • Compass Box Glasgow Blend (store pick) - got this for a buddy and it didn't disappoint, still not a huge Scotch fan but this I could drink all the time
  • Aberlour A’bunadh - this is a sherry finished barrel strength Scotch and it is incredible.  Totally worth what the family paid for it - was a Fathers Day gift
  • Tin Cup American (84 proof) - this stuff was hot garbage;  hated everything about it.  Not even sure I can make a cocktail with it.  Will be gifted or poured down the drain
  • Buffalo Trace Kosher Rye recipe - this was really good;  very hard to find but thankfully got it at MSRP;  wouldn't pay a whole lot more and doubt I would even get another bottle, not because it's good but rather almost all BT stuff is overpriced
  • Benchmark Full Proof - now this BT product I will definitely buy again;  price point is great - like $23 and it delivers big flavor for that price.  
  • Dickel 8 year bourbon - solid;  nothing special, think I paid $30 but it's good
  • 1792 Aged 12 Years - I've been sitting on this bottle thinking I may flip it but finally decided to just open it.  It's super hard to find but I got it for $50.  It's just ok - not bad, not worth the hype or rarity.  If you find it at a decent price and like 1792 you probably won't be disappointed but it's nothing special
I own all of the above.

Couple of others from the tasting that I don't own:

• Rossville Union Rye - MGP barrel proof - I had high hopes for this; very high and honestly was disappointed;  I may have been too many drinks in when I had it or maybe it's just not that good
  • King's American Light whiskey (barrel strength) - this is out of King's distillery in Pigeon Forge, TN - and this stuff was amazing;  it's distillery only and 140 proof, aged 14 years (sourced I'm assuming from MGP);  Outstanding, I may drive up there just to get a bottle
  • Dimple Pinch scotch - I think it's a Lowland;  basic, solid.  Reminded me of Monkey Shoulder.  Cool bottle but pretty unforgettable
Hopefully I'm not repeating too many and I'm sure I'm leaving out a bottle or 5 but thought I'd share.  Have a great weekend guys.

Tin Cup American (84 proof) - this stuff was hot garbage;  hated everything about it.  Not even sure I can make a cocktail with it.  Will be gifted or poured down the drain
You would gift an open bottle of whiskey that you proclaim is "hot garbage"?  Or did someone at the tasting enjoy it?

You would gift an open bottle of whiskey that you proclaim is "hot garbage"?  Or did someone at the tasting enjoy it?
I have a BIL who will drink anything, he will happily drink anything I won't. I have a friend who makes her own wine, he gets every bottle. I don't even sample them anymore. 

I haven't posted much recently - trying to lose a little weight (with mixed results).

Had a recent whiskey tasting at my house - will list that drink list plus some new-ish bottles I've tried or opened:

• Knob Creek Rye (store pick) - solid rye;  was $50.  Think it needs a little more time being open but it's solid and I enjoy it
  • Old Pepper Rye (store pick) - good, didn't love it.  Had a note that I didn't care for, kind of grassy
  • Mythology (birthday gift!) - this was very unusual;  it's a bourye blend but was very rye forward.  If I had drank it blind I would have sworn it was a rye.  Enjoyed it a lot but was kind of throne off as it wasn't nearly as sweet as I was expecting
  • Henry McKenna - 10 year - just solid.  I know the price has gone up but if you can still get it for MSRP I would do it.  Just really good bourbon
  • Four Roses SB Barrel Strength - had this before but got my own bottle;  I love this bottle, delicious
  • Early Times BiB - got the new offering after it switched to Sazerac;  still really good for the price point but not as good as Brown-Forman offering
  • Redbreast 12 and Lustau - had these back on St. Patrick's Day, not sure I talked about it in here.  Really, really good Irish
  • West Cork Barrel Strength Irish - this one surprised me;  not a ton of barrel proof Irish out there and this one delivered.  Really enjoyed it a lot
  • Green Spot - tad overpriced but it's really, really good.  Would have to be considered for daily Irish sipper if it wasn't so pricey
  • Compass Box Glasgow Blend (store pick) - got this for a buddy and it didn't disappoint, still not a huge Scotch fan but this I could drink all the time
  • Aberlour A’bunadh - this is a sherry finished barrel strength Scotch and it is incredible.  Totally worth what the family paid for it - was a Fathers Day gift
  • Tin Cup American (84 proof) - this stuff was hot garbage;  hated everything about it.  Not even sure I can make a cocktail with it.  Will be gifted or poured down the drain
  • Buffalo Trace Kosher Rye recipe - this was really good;  very hard to find but thankfully got it at MSRP;  wouldn't pay a whole lot more and doubt I would even get another bottle, not because it's good but rather almost all BT stuff is overpriced
  • Benchmark Full Proof - now this BT product I will definitely buy again;  price point is great - like $23 and it delivers big flavor for that price.  
  • Dickel 8 year bourbon - solid;  nothing special, think I paid $30 but it's good
  • 1792 Aged 12 Years - I've been sitting on this bottle thinking I may flip it but finally decided to just open it.  It's super hard to find but I got it for $50.  It's just ok - not bad, not worth the hype or rarity.  If you find it at a decent price and like 1792 you probably won't be disappointed but it's nothing special
I own all of the above.

Couple of others from the tasting that I don't own:

• Rossville Union Rye - MGP barrel proof - I had high hopes for this; very high and honestly was disappointed;  I may have been too many drinks in when I had it or maybe it's just not that good
  • King's American Light whiskey (barrel strength) - this is out of King's distillery in Pigeon Forge, TN - and this stuff was amazing;  it's distillery only and 140 proof, aged 14 years (sourced I'm assuming from MGP);  Outstanding, I may drive up there just to get a bottle
  • Dimple Pinch scotch - I think it's a Lowland;  basic, solid.  Reminded me of Monkey Shoulder.  Cool bottle but pretty unforgettable
Hopefully I'm not repeating too many and I'm sure I'm leaving out a bottle or 5 but thought I'd share.  Have a great weekend guys.
I saw the McKenna on sale at the local store... in a hurry and don't recall the price.  What price would you expect to pay?  I'll be stopping by tomorrow and if its priced well, I'll try a bottle.  They had the 10 year and something that looked more upscale. 

Gifted is not the right way to put it.  My drinking buddy has a different pallet than me and drinks cheap whiskey.  Before I’d drink it I would just give it to him.  Also, my FIL is like Dez’s BIL.  He’ll drink anything.

I saw the McKenna on sale at the local store... in a hurry and don't recall the price.  What price would you expect to pay?  I'll be stopping by tomorrow and if its priced well, I'll try a bottle.  They had the 10 year and something that looked more upscale. 
TMK, the 10 year is the high end for McKenna.  They have some lower end.  The 10 year I think is now around $40 but I never see it for that.  I paid $50 and that’s about to top end I would be willing to paid.

Was on Long Island last weekend and picked up a bottle of Blanton's and an Old Fitz 11. Prices are insane.

Added a Redbreast 15 and a Midleton Very Rare from my local Costco for the Irish side.

How do you like the RB15 and how does it compare to the 12?  RB12 CS is probably my favorite Irish after Blue Spot - although comparing those two really isn’t fair.

How do you like the RB15 and how does it compare to the 12?  RB12 CS is probably my favorite Irish after Blue Spot - although comparing those two really isn’t fair.

I have never tried the RB12. But I absolutely love the RB12 CS. That being said, it is neck and neck for me on which I like better between RB12 CS and RB15. They BOTH are sooooooo good. I am still waiting to find a Blue Spot to try.

Had the chance to head out to Old Elk distillery in Ft Collins, CO to go pick a couple barrels for our local club.  Very cool little setup they have going there.  Their master distiller, Greg Metze,  ran MGP for 38 years before looking to try somewhere new. They don't currently distill any product, but are ramping up for it. In the meantime they're an NDP selling barrels from misc places... though seemingly largely MGP (which means Greg technically WAS master distiller on those barrels as well). 

Some Images: https://imgur.com/a/pkApWQk

We had the luxury of having a pilot in the pick crew so the 8 of us flew out in a newly remodeled King Air, landing in Ft Collins Regional Airport. 

We got settled into the hotel (Mariott) and then rolled over the "The Preserve", Old Elk's tasting room / restaurant in the heart of Ft Collins. Very nice tasting room with an excellent menu. I went with the Elk Pot Pie and Shishuto peppers... tasty. We enjoyed a few rounds of cocktails then headed to the warehouse where their barrels / bottling are.  Old Elk picked up the tab for lunch and cocktails which is standard for barrel picks like this. 

Warehouse is a pretty standard NDP setup. Hand bottled currently, though an automated line is in place and getting dialed in. They've got several bays of barrels and a nice tasting bar setup. 

We tasted 4 barrels each of Straight Bourbon, Double Wheat (Wheat Whiskey), and their Wheated Bourbon.  After a couple rounds narrowing it down over the course of a couple hours, including a final blind round of 4 barrels...we settled on two Wheated Bourbon barrels. 

Later on we hit The Still : Whiskey and Steaks for dinner. Was a tasty dinner and their "Meat Pile" appetizer is worth checking out (A pile of 4oz Filets and some rolls). Grab a steak and a roll and go to town :lol:  

Had the chance to head out to Old Elk distillery in Ft Collins, CO to go pick a couple barrels for our local club.  Very cool little setup they have going there.  Their master distiller, Greg Metze,  ran MGP for 38 years before looking to try somewhere new. They don't currently distill any product, but are ramping up for it. In the meantime they're an NDP selling barrels from misc places... though seemingly largely MGP (which means Greg technically WAS master distiller on those barrels as well). 

Some Images: https://imgur.com/a/pkApWQk

We had the luxury of having a pilot in the pick crew so the 8 of us flew out in a newly remodeled King Air, landing in Ft Collins Regional Airport. 

We got settled into the hotel (Mariott) and then rolled over the "The Preserve", Old Elk's tasting room / restaurant in the heart of Ft Collins. Very nice tasting room with an excellent menu. I went with the Elk Pot Pie and Shishuto peppers... tasty. We enjoyed a few rounds of cocktails then headed to the warehouse where their barrels / bottling are.  Old Elk picked up the tab for lunch and cocktails which is standard for barrel picks like this. 

Warehouse is a pretty standard NDP setup. Hand bottled currently, though an automated line is in place and getting dialed in. They've got several bays of barrels and a nice tasting bar setup. 

We tasted 4 barrels each of Straight Bourbon, Double Wheat (Wheat Whiskey), and their Wheated Bourbon.  After a couple rounds narrowing it down over the course of a couple hours, including a final blind round of 4 barrels...we settled on two Wheated Bourbon barrels. 

Later on we hit The Still : Whiskey and Steaks for dinner. Was a tasty dinner and their "Meat Pile" appetizer is worth checking out (A pile of 4oz Filets and some rolls). Grab a steak and a roll and go to town :lol:  

Nice!  I have a bottle of their Wheated Bourbon and it's solid.  I've wanted to try one of their finished products but just never pull the trigger.

Nice!  I have a bottle of their Wheated Bourbon and it's solid.  I've wanted to try one of their finished products but just never pull the trigger.

If I'm being honest I'd only tried their stuff a week or so before the trip (Double wheat) and found it tasty. A couple in our group were pretty well versed in their stuff and they mentioned there is a LOT of variance in their barrels. May indicate they're buying off-profile barrels which can be good and bad. 

I'm not big on finished stuff, but the folks who enjoy it seemed to really like the finished stuff they had on their tasting bar... if that's worth anything :)  

Is Buffalo Trace still had to get in places?  Couldnt find for the last year or 2 in NJ - just found a bottle on vacation and bringing it back.  Never thought it was great bourbon but ill carry it back in checked bag if still hard to find....

Is Buffalo Trace still had to get in places?  Couldnt find for the last year or 2 in NJ - just found a bottle on vacation and bringing it back.  Never thought it was great bourbon but ill carry it back in checked bag if still hard to find....
Regional thing - super easy to find on Georgia, along with Eagle Rare.  For me at a fantastic daily sipper if you can get it under $30.

Impossible in upstate NY, much easier on Long Island.

It's all allocations from Sazerac and then allocations from the distributor.

Kiddnets said:
here in California its a $24 a 750ml bottle for BT which is great value imo but Blanton's runs from $100-$150 a bottle on the "shelf above the cashier" area in the liquor store. 

Learned a tough lesson last weekend: cleanse your palate extra well after having garlic.

My local Total Wine had sample sized Elijah Craig Small Batch, so I picked up a couple to try. Had spaghetti and garlic bread for dinner a couple of hours before trying, but I think the garlic still skewed my taste buds so that it burned more than the Wild Turkey 101 I've come to like. Other than the burn, I really liked the flavor palate, was the balance of oak, vanilla and caramel I've been looking for in a bourbon. Definitely going to try it again soon and see how much it's supposed to burn. 94 proof shouldn't burn as much as 101 proof, right?

Also, the next destination in my bourbon journey will be Evan Williams Bottled in Bond. I've read reviews that both attract and repel my interest. I'd probably pass if it were more expensive, but the overall consensus is positive enough that's I'll take a chance, like I did with WT101.

Learned a tough lesson last weekend: cleanse your palate extra well after having garlic.

My local Total Wine had sample sized Elijah Craig Small Batch, so I picked up a couple to try. Had spaghetti and garlic bread for dinner a couple of hours before trying, but I think the garlic still skewed my taste buds so that it burned more than the Wild Turkey 101 I've come to like. Other than the burn, I really liked the flavor palate, was the balance of oak, vanilla and caramel I've been looking for in a bourbon. Definitely going to try it again soon and see how much it's supposed to burn. 94 proof shouldn't burn as much as 101 proof, right?

Also, the next destination in my bourbon journey will be Evan Williams Bottled in Bond. I've read reviews that both attract and repel my interest. I'd probably pass if it were more expensive, but the overall consensus is positive enough that's I'll take a chance, like I did with WT101.

All 3 of those are solid - I have it WT101 > EC > EW myself but none of those 3 are bad.

All 3 of those are solid - I have it WT101 > EC > EW myself but none of those 3 are bad.
Took the chance on the EW Sunday night and it immediately became an instant favorite. Ended up pouring a second helping, which is unusual when I open a new bottle, and then had to fight the urge to pour a third. When this bottle is empty, I'm going to replace it with a 1.75L bottle like I did with the WT101. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that it stays at the doorway to the bargain basement.

Still sorting out the tasting notes, but I was surprised when I got the slightest rye note and it didn't immediately turn me off. I guess the other tastes I got included oak and more caramel than vanilla (or maybe it was the other way around?). The burn was in the throat and not on the tongue, and like with the Benchmark, a splash of water took it away and left it a little sweeter.

It's taken me almost a full year to get my bearings about bourbon and I like where I am with it now. Really like oakiness, and caramel a little more than vanilla.

Picked up a bottle of Maryland's own Twin Valley Distillery's 1812 Maryland Bourbon and got my first peanut butter note. I've read and watched reviews of other brands where they get that note, but it was new to me. Their other bourbon had a nice oak/vanilla/caramel blend that I liked, and I was hoping for that ballpark with this one. I like peanut butter just fine, but not in my whiskey.

Have just recently discovered Bourbon after staying away from brown liquor pretty much my whole life (learned in high school and college that I don't handle Rye or Wheat very well).

Coincidentally started with Evan Williams (black?), Knob Creek straight KY, and Elijah Craig Small Batch -- all 375s. I'm still in the Old Fashioned 'gateway' stage -- not sure I'll ever evolve to sipping -- but really liked both the EC and KC.

Also remembered that I won a fifth at work a few years ago and dug it out of the cupboard. 2012 Jack Daniels's Single Barrel Select Tennessee Whiskey. Signed by a Master Distiller (can't read the writing) with a big "Presidential Barrel" medal around the top.

Anyone have details on what this is? Google comes up empty on the exact specs above and there are so many "special" bottles I'm having trouble pinning this down.

Have just recently discovered Bourbon after staying away from brown liquor pretty much my whole life (learned in high school and college that I don't handle Rye or Wheat very well).

Coincidentally started with Evan Williams (black?), Knob Creek straight KY, and Elijah Craig Small Batch -- all 375s. I'm still in the Old Fashioned 'gateway' stage -- not sure I'll ever evolve to sipping -- but really liked both the EC and KC.

Also remembered that I won a fifth at work a few years ago and dug it out of the cupboard. 2012 Jack Daniels's Single Barrel Select Tennessee Whiskey. Signed by a Master Distiller (can't read the writing) with a big "Presidential Barrel" medal around the top.

Anyone have details on what this is? Google comes up empty on the exact specs above and there are so many "special" bottles I'm having trouble pinning this down.

Maybe post a pic of the bottle? JD SB Select and it's big brother the SB BP are fairly popular and good whiskey. I have a couple of bottles of the BP (Barrel Proof).

Old Fashioneds are a great way to ease in to neat whiskey drinking. Just keep taking the simple syrup amount down. What's also great about OFs are you can make one out of any spirit. Rum OF are in particular pretty nice (for my palate at least).

I have it WT101 > EC > EW myself but none of those 3 are bad.
Stocked up the 101 on your rec and I'm liking it. For whatever reason I had it in my head that it was not very good -- maybe just the fact that I knew some dudes who drank it in college and assumed it was rotgut?

Also got the Evan Williams Bonded (I'd tried a cheaper EW), but still don't care for that very much.

Not sure how I feel about it, but the lady at the ABC store remembered me. This is the 2nd trio I've bought (also picked up some more Elijah Craig) and she asked me how the first three turned out.

Stocked up the 101 on your rec and I'm liking it. For whatever reason I had it in my head that it was not very good -- maybe just the fact that I knew some dudes who drank it in college and assumed it was rotgut?

Also got the Evan Williams Bonded (I'd tried a cheaper EW), but still don't care for that very much.

Not sure how I feel about it, but the lady at the ABC store remembered me. This is the 2nd trio I've bought (also picked up some more Elijah Craig) and she asked me how the first three turned out.
Don't know what it is about the EW Bonded; the taste goes in a different direction than I what I prefer yet it drinks so easy with a splash of water. I was never tempted to have a 3rd pour in one sitting before, not even when having good stuff like Lagavulin 16. Once I finish my current bottle of EW Bonded I'm going to get the 1.75L for ~$30 to go with my big bottle of WT101. I'll still rotate in other brands from time to time, but I've tried enough to be comfortable with these to as my go-to's. Now I just have to get my scotch sorted out again, but that's for a different thread.

The 81 proof Wild Turkey is pretty bad. The 101 is possibly one of the best values in bourbon - IMO.

ETA - pretty bad may be harsh. It’s not good though.

Is there such thing as a countertop ice maker that makes rocks ice cubes? Got a new bar area setup and would love to have the rocks cubes right over by the bourbon.

Found Nelson Green Brier on sale for 17.99 (normally ~30 locally). Wasn't much interested in it before, but at that price it seemed worth a shot. Found it easy to drink, a little on the sweet side. I like it enough but not at its normal price.

I introduced two friends and one wants to buy the other a bottle of bourbon to say thanks for a favor.

He has offered two choices:

1: I. W. Harper 15 yo. Apparently, it's really hard to get and an excellent bourbon but not overly pricey; and

2: Elmer T. Glee Single Barrel Sour Mash. Another really good bourbon that's available but at a higher price point.

Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on the two?

I introduced two friends and one wants to buy the other a bottle of bourbon to say thanks for a favor.

1: I. W. Harper 15 yo. Apparently, it's really hard to get and an excellent bourbon but not overly pricey; and

2: Elmer T. Glee Single Barrel Sour Mash. Another really good bourbon that's available but at a higher price point.

Never had either one so can't recommend either, so I guess it comes down to the sentiment your buddy wants to convey. The Harper sounds like a better gift for someone who knows something about bourbon, and while the Elmer T. shows thoughtfulness too, overpaying is never a good look. Really just splitting hairs to me.

I've only been at bourbon for a couple of years so take the above for what it's worth. TBH, I'd gladly accept either one and the differences in the "thought behind it" wouldn't really matter in the long run.

Not a huge fan of either but the Elmer T Lee isn't worth the price it commands on the secondary market.

Not a huge fan of either but the Elmer T Lee isn't worth the price it commands on the secondary market.

None of them are.

I'd say it depends on what they are asking for the Elmer - price for that is nuts and as Ron said, totally not worth it. I will say I would expect the Elmer to probably be slightly better for the average bourbon drinker - most 15 year old bourbons as super oaky - also, the average drinker has maybe heard of Elmer whereas Harper doesn't have quite the name recognition.

Had the chance to try Jim Beam Devil's Cut. It reminded me of Jameson Black Barrel; a little sweet but interesting nonetheless, and at 90 proof and sub $20 in some places, it's a decent bang for the buck, though if you already like Evan Williams Bottled in Bond, you probably won't make the switch. Still a nice change of pace, though.

Is Buffalo Trace still had to get in places? Couldnt find for the last year or 2 in NJ - just found a bottle on vacation and bringing it back. Never thought it was great bourbon but ill carry it back in checked bag if still hard to find....
It's been easier to find in IL lately, and at MSRP. When it drops, both of my local spots have a case or two.

I tend to stay on the sweeter / basic bourbons and looking to stretch out into something a little more oaky.

Any recommends for a good intro to the oak scene ($50 or less-ish)

Users who are viewing this thread