What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

I tend to stay on the sweeter / basic bourbons and looking to stretch out into something a little more oaky.

Any recommends for a good intro to the oak scene ($50 or less-ish)

Typically, the higher age the more oak you will get so maybe consider something with some age on it. I don't have a great recommendation as I stick to either sweet or spicy (high rye) bourbons.

I tend to stay on the sweeter / basic bourbons and looking to stretch out into something a little more oaky.

Typically, the higher age the more oak you will get so maybe consider something with some age on it. I don't have a great recommendation as I stick to either sweet or spicy (high rye) bourbons.
Yeah, I wish I was a Knob guy as they have some easily obtainable steps up in age. I've heard mixed reviews on Tin Cup, so kind of steered clear of that one as well.

Yeah, I wish I was a Knob guy as they have some easily obtainable steps up in age. I've heard mixed reviews on Tin Cup, so kind of steered clear of that one as well.

I like KC and yep, their aged stuff is fairly cheap by comparison. I really dislike TinCup - it’s American whiskey anyway and not bourbon.

ETA - although I don’t know for sure the mash bill on it so maybe it’s technically bourbon but they label themselves American Whiskey and it’s very malty to me - not a fan.

I like KC and yep, their aged stuff is fairly cheap by comparison. I really dislike TinCup - it’s American whiskey anyway and not bourbon.

ETA - although I don’t know for sure the mash bill on it so maybe it’s technically bourbon but they label themselves American Whiskey and it’s very malty to me - not a fan.
FWIW everything I got on a quick scan says they're ~2/3 corn on the mashbill but could be outdated

Obviously not the only requirement for bourbon though

Finally had a chance to down a Buffalo Trace and really enjoyed it. But damn is it hard to find.

Looking online I see it for sale in CA for like half the price of what I'd have to pay on Caskers, and it looks like you can get it easily too. Can someone unpack that for me? Why is it so cheap and available there? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Finally had a chance to down a Buffalo Trace and really enjoyed it. But damn is it hard to find.

Looking online I see it for sale in CA for like half the price of what I'd have to pay on Caskers, and it looks like you can get it easily too. Can someone unpack that for me? Why is it so cheap and available there? Or am I misunderstanding something?

No insight on the online pricing but the distribution can really vary by state. Here in Georgia I can buy all the Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare I want but we essentially never have any of the Weller line or EHT line unless you want to pay ridiculous price. I’m fine about Weller as I’m not a fan of their wheated mashbill but EHT is incredible.

It’s all based on what is allocated to each state. Some get lots more than others. Here in KY, it is actually a little tough to find, unless you go to the actual Buffalo Trace gift shop, but it can be found on the shelves, unlike most of the other BT products. I’ve heard it’s easier to find in Georgia too, among other places.

MSRP is really only like $30 though. I’m a huge fan of just about all things Buffalo Trace, but I would never pay much more than that. Plenty of fine bourbons out there for the same or less $$.

It’s all based on what is allocated to each state. Some get lots more than others. Here in KY, it is actually a little tough to find, unless you go to the actual Buffalo Trace gift shop, but it can be found on the shelves, unlike most of the other BT products. I’ve heard it’s easier to find in Georgia too, among other places.

MSRP is really only like $30 though. I’m a huge fan of just about all things Buffalo Trace, but I would never pay much more than that. Plenty of fine bourbons out there for the same or less $$.
Yeah. Here in TN its not impossible to find and when the local liquor stores get their allocations…BT typically lasts longer than everything else. Blantons goes quick. Eagle Rare starting to go faster than it used to and also jumped to $45. Both of those, while I love them…starting to be way overpriced retail. BT still a great value.

Here in SE Michigan, Buffalo Trace is fairly common and can be seen many places for right around $30. Sometimes store pick varieties of BT are available too. Years ago Eagle Rare, Blantons, EHT products were readily available and relatively cheap (compared to today's prices). Now I never see any of them and even Eagle Rare is becoming a rare find. Weller has always been a tough find, however I used to occasionally land an Antique 107.

Last edited:
When I first started drinking whiskey (all types) just 3 years ago, Buffalo Trace was available and sub-$30, and now it's at least $35 if I can find it. Eagle Rare is just that now, and the local hole-in-the-wall liquor store near my house is selling Blanton's for $200. I keep hoping against hope that there's not a trickle-down effect on the lower end, as I've settled on Wild Turkey 101 and Evan Williams Bottled in Bond as my staples.

Also, I recently created a spreadsheet to keep track of the whiskies I've tried and my notes about them, and was surprised to see that in just the last 12-13 months, I have already had 20 different bourbons. Didn't seem like a lot as I was buying them but looking at it as a whole 20 feels like a large number, especially as I've mostly kept to only drinking on weekend nights or nights I don't have to wake up early the next morning.

Last Christmas, I had quite the haul of whiskies, though they were mainly scotches. As 2022 saw me dive mainly into American whiskies, my haul was, as Don Draper once said, "simple but significant", as I received just 2 (plus 2 minis). My son and his girlfriend came through with Woodford Reserve Double Oaked (albeit 'just' a 375ml bottle) and Evan Williams 1783. Mrs. Steiner added the minis as stocking stuffers, 1 Early Times and 1 Rebel Yell.

I've had the Woodford and Early Times before and both were everything I remembered them to be. The Rebel Yell is wheated, and as such was fairly mellow all the way through, though it had a bitter final note that I didn't care for even with a splash of water. As for the 1783, I'm already a fan of Evan Williams bottled in bond and have seen reviews of the 1783 that piqued my interest. In my first try, it checked all the boxes I had for a bourbon: no punch in the mouth on the first sip, a solid but not overwhelming combination of vanilla, caramel and oak that seemed in harmony with each other, and a solid kick at 90 proof. My second try last night, however, saw my palate confusing the 1783 with the Bottle in Bond, which I like but also need a splash of water to kill the afterburn.

Final totals for 2022--I tried 33 different whiskies for the year: 20 bourbon/American, 12 Scotch, 1 Irish. The scotches I tried reinforced my preference for Islay, though I got a better understanding of speysides. The only Irish I tried was Jameson Black Barrel; I don't dislike Irish whiskey, just don't find it as interesting as scotch and bourbon. The bourbon/American journey I took this year provided me with a revelation of sorts; as I got into bourbon/American whiskeys, I equated rye with 'spicy' notes that were mostly just bite, which I wanted to avoid. However, my favorites so far--Woodford Double Oaked, Wild Turkey 101 Evan Williams Bottled in Bond and 1783 all have at least 12% or more rye, whereas the ones I didn't like as much, such as Four Roses and Elijah Craig, have a lower rye content. I suppose this opens the door to trying rye even wider than before, though I'd still like to sort out my bourbon preferences a little more.

P.S.: In my preparations for this post, I stumbled upon this site that gives the mash bill of a large number of whiskeys. I found it very interesting that 3 of my top 4 have the same mash bill, so there's another rabbit hole I'm going to fall into in the coming year.

Interesting enough, I was not into the 1783. Ive been a fan of EW's other stuff, but that one just didn't do it for me the first time. I had heard good things about it...especially at that price point as a cheaper option (and something to sip when other options are not available).
To me...still love the EW Single Barrel as a great option at a lower price point.

Interesting enough, I was not into the 1783. Ive been a fan of EW's other stuff, but that one just didn't do it for me the first time. I had heard good things about it...especially at that price point as a cheaper option (and something to sip when other options are not available).
To me...still love the EW Single Barrel as a great option at a lower price point.
I liked the 1783 better with a splash of water, though I thought the difference was negligible the first time. The second time made me think water is a necessity. I haven't seen the single barrel at any my usual haunts. The website I linked in my last post shows the single barrel and the black label have the same mash bill (not as much rye as the BiB or 1783 but close), so it would be interesting to try them side by side, especially as the black label is dirt cheap.

Also have to revise a comment from my last post. While the mash bill for Four Roses (yellow label) is hard to find, their other offerings seem to be even higher in rye than the brands I like, so maybe there's a 'sweet spot' in rye content that I haven't quite found. The other Four Roses offerings all seem to start at 20% rye and go up from there, so maybe my next step is to find something around 15% rye.

Have scrolled through the thread and see lots of bourbon tour recommendations, so curious if anyone is using a "tour guide" to set up these events or doing it all on your own? Have a group of folks interested in potential trip, so just looking to understand the best/easiest way to move forward, as I am thinking tour bus/guide as the safest path for all.

Thanks in advance!

Have scrolled through the thread and see lots of bourbon tour recommendations, so curious if anyone is using a "tour guide" to set up these events or doing it all on your own? Have a group of folks interested in potential trip, so just looking to understand the best/easiest way to move forward, as I am thinking tour bus/guide as the safest path for all.

Thanks in advance!
I did on own, but it depends on what you are doing. I was mostly in Louisville where almost everything downtown is in walking distance. (I did a little bit in Bardstown where needed to drive, but I kept it really easy on the drinking there.)

If heading out to where things are more distant and may want to hit three or so on a day, tour would probably be the way to go.

I can still get BT here under $30, sometimes $25. It's not always available, but you can usually find a bottle somewhere. ER definitely getting harder to find, but it'll linger for a few days if you catch a delivery. It doesn't fly off the shelves like the allocated stuff. Yet.

EHT SB isn't really available, but I have found a bottle here and there over the last year, to the point that I still have 4 stashed after finishing off a bottle last weekend. I got them all at reasonable prices (1 sub-$45 and the others sub-$40). I'll likely never land any seriously allocated stuff, but I would love to find an Elmer T Lee and a WFP at some point. I just refuse to pay the secondary market prices on principle, especially when I can hit a couple of local places and get pours for $15-$20. That'll have to do. I absolutely love Elmer T Lee. At the point bar prices are significantly better than "retail"...

I can still get BT here under $30, sometimes $25. It's not always available, but you can usually find a bottle somewhere. ER definitely getting harder to find, but it'll linger for a few days if you catch a delivery. It doesn't fly off the shelves like the allocated stuff. Yet.

EHT SB isn't really available, but I have found a bottle here and there over the last year, to the point that I still have 4 stashed after finishing off a bottle last weekend. I got them all at reasonable prices (1 sub-$45 and the others sub-$40). I'll likely never land any seriously allocated stuff, but I would love to find an Elmer T Lee and a WFP at some point. I just refuse to pay the secondary market prices on principle, especially when I can hit a couple of local places and get pours for $15-$20. That'll have to do. I absolutely love Elmer T Lee. At the point bar prices are significantly better than "retail"...

It’s still nearly impossible to find any EHT product in Georgia that isn’t at an insane price. I can get basically all the Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare I want at good prices.

It’s still nearly impossible to find any EHT product in Georgia that isn’t at an insane price. I can get basically all the Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare I want at good prices.
It is here, too, if you don't either have people willing to look out for you or treeeeeemendous luck. I've had a bit of both the last year+. It's just a half-step above everything else wrt availability. I can get a phone call that says, "There's a EHT if you want it." I'm never getting that call for an ETL or a WFP. You have to be the first person in line at a release or spend thousands of dollars at a single place that uses that to help determine their allocations. And that ain't me. I spend it, mostly on wine, but I spread it around too much.

Picked up some Larceny Small Batch 92 to try for a weekend sipper. For like $28, this is pretty good stuff! Right up there with Buffalo Trace for the price point, IMO.

Just a heads up, BTAC which usually ships in December with the Van Winkle was delayed this year.
In my neck of the woods, I think it's shipping next week.

Sazerac just had a major breakup with RNDC (their biggest distributor), so there may be a little disruption there as well as they align with Breakthru and SGWS in several states.

Found a WSR at our local version of Kroger for $27 after tax. No, it's neither special nor reserve, but tough to pass up when you find it like that.

Only about a year and a half into bourbon and it seems like my timing couldn't have been worse; not only are the 'better' brands getting more expensive, they're also even harder to find where I live. I once saw Buffalo Trace in a local store at ~$27, but I was still learning scotch and didn't want to confuse my palate(!), so I left it alone. That was about 3 years ago and I haven't seen it again anywhere near me, and that same store where I once saw the Buffalo Trace recently had Blanton's on the shelf behind the register for $200.

Also, for those of you who aren't ashamed of their bargain basement preferences, would you mind sharing your thoughts on Old Grand-Dad Bottled in Bond, Ancient Age and Mellow Corn? I'm not ashamed to admit I've found a level of comfort with some cheaper brands; not only have I found enough of them enjoyable, but their low price keeps my wife happier than she would be if I were spending more. My expectations aren't high; I'm considering the Ancient Age as strictly an option as a second pour, the Old Grand-Dad to keep me from getting tired too soon of the Wild Turkey and Evan Williams, and the Mellow Corn just because it's a cheap oddball. TIA...

Only about a year and a half into bourbon and it seems like my timing couldn't have been worse; not only are the 'better' brands getting more expensive, they're also even harder to find where I live. I once saw Buffalo Trace in a local store at ~$27, but I was still learning scotch and didn't want to confuse my palate(!), so I left it alone. That was about 3 years ago and I haven't seen it again anywhere near me, and that same store where I once saw the Buffalo Trace recently had Blanton's on the shelf behind the register for $200.

Also, for those of you who aren't ashamed of their bargain basement preferences, would you mind sharing your thoughts on Old Grand-Dad Bottled in Bond, Ancient Age and Mellow Corn? I'm not ashamed to admit I've found a level of comfort with some cheaper brands; not only have I found enough of them enjoyable, but their low price keeps my wife happier than she would be if I were spending more. My expectations aren't high; I'm considering the Ancient Age as strictly an option as a second pour, the Old Grand-Dad to keep me from getting tired too soon of the Wild Turkey and Evan Williams, and the Mellow Corn just because it's a cheap oddball. TIA...
Mellow Corn really isn't Bourbon. It's corn whiskey. Hipsters love it. I don't hate it. Frankly, it's a bargain at its price point for a 2-4 year old BIB product, regardless of mash bill.

Wild Turkey 101 and some of the Evan Williams stuff seemed like decent value to my ignorant palate.

I'm not very good at identifying tasting notes, either; I just know what I like. I like both of those but I don't want to tire of them, so I'm still looking decent to good brands out there that are ~$30 or less. My plan is to alternate between those two (and/or another similar brand) for my first pour of the night, and then go to something 'lesser' (like the $20/1.75L Ancient Age?) for my next pour. Right now, I'm alternating between the two as my first and second pours, but that's just running me out of both of them too quickly.

Mellow Corn really isn't Bourbon. It's corn whiskey. Hipsters love it. I don't hate it. Frankly, it's a bargain at its price point for a 2-4 year old BIB product, regardless of mash bill.

The high corn content was a bit of a red flag for me at first, but the BiB is what kept me from moving on from it. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep it on the radar for after I get my hands on at least the Old Grand-Dad and probably have to resupply my WT 101 and/or EW BiB.

I did a tasting at Heaven Hill last February. Mellow Corn was one of the samples. I thought it was awful. I would have spit it out if I was at home.

FWIW, if you find a bourbon you like take the time to dig around on the Internet and find the mash bill.

Turns out ALL of the ones I've tried and liked -- Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Evan Williams, Knob Creek and Wild Turkey 101 -- are low rye. And most of the other brands from the same distillery share similar mash profiles.

Knowing that I don't like wheats or ryes or Tennessee/charcoal filtration cuts this down to size quite a bit. So I've got a pretty long list of bourbons from 5 distilleries (Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill, Jim Beam, Michtner's and Wild Turkey) that I'm a lot more comfortable dropping some coin to try.

Toured Castle and Key recently and it was super fun. VERY old building that's been slowly renovated. I'm a bourbon noob but would give it thumbups for sure.

Toured Bulleit the next day. Brand new facility and tasting was well done. Super nice bar area to hang out in after that was very nice.

FWIW, if you find a bourbon you like take the time to dig around on the Internet and find the mash bill.

Turns out ALL of the ones I've tried and liked -- Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Evan Williams, Knob Creek and Wild Turkey 101 -- are low rye. And most of the other brands from the same distillery share similar mash profiles.

Knowing that I don't like wheats or ryes or Tennessee/charcoal filtration cuts this down to size quite a bit. So I've got a pretty long list of bourbons from 5 distilleries (Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill, Jim Beam, Michtner's and Wild Turkey) that I'm a lot more comfortable dropping some coin to try.

Small point but I’m not sure I would classify all those as low rye. Definitely not high rye but 10-15% is a decent amount of rye in a bourbon. I personally go High Rye > Low rye > wheaters. But I’ll drink them all.

Toured Castle and Key recently and it was super fun. VERY old building that's been slowly renovated. I'm a bourbon noob but would give it thumbups for sure.

Toured Bulleit the next day. Brand new facility and tasting was well done. Super nice bar area to hang out in after that was very nice.

What Castle and Key are doing is super cool but those first two batches they put out were garbage at the price point.

But your overall point is an excellent one and I should have said that. With the variety in mash bills and finishes somebody should be able to find something they like. Kind of like Scotch regions. Find one you like and sample more in the general vicinity before you branch out too much. Unless you are stupid (like me) or have money to burn (not me).

Was planning the next trip to the region and was looking at the Bulliet tasting which their website describes as "A fully immersive sensory experience that explores our classic Bulleit portfolio with the use of lights, sound, and scent bulbs." Is this like a bourbon spa, or what? I wasn't sure what to make of that.

My affinity for WT101 has prompted me to want to try the Rare Breed and the Longbranch, so I really get what you're saying, and you're right, it will make it easier to choose a direction, and I may have to go back and try Elijah Craig again, since Heaven Hill produces that and the Evan Williams line, which I liked more.

This is the website I linked earlier, and it goes along with what you're saying. The only Buffalo Trace product I've had so far is Benchmark 8, which wasn't bad, and I think I will go ahead and pull the trigger on the Ancient Age. The bad news is that the only size I can find around me is 1.75L, but the good news is that it will run me about $20. It should be fine enough for what I plan for it, and knowing it's from a distillery I've already tried, some of my anxiety about it has been alleviated.

After that, and restocking my WT101 soon, I'll probably roll the dice with the Old Grand-Dad Bottled in Bond, unless I find the 114 first.

FWIW, here's the list I came up with today of Bourbons I'd eventually like to give a shot. Criteria are 75-78% Corn, 10-13% Rye, no Wheat, and the remainder Barley; and generally <$75 or so for a bottle.

If you see two or three on this list you like odds are decent you'll like many of the others -- at least until you get to the bottom shelf stuff. Or you try a couple from a particular distiller and don't like them.

The higher priced ones I'll probably try in a bar or a plane-sized sample, but most of them I'd like to give at least a 375ml fighting chance. The ones with a + are the ones I've tried and liked at the price point.

Buffalo Trace Ancient Age
Buffalo Trace Benchmark 8
Buffalo Trace Blantons
Buffalo Trace Buffalo Trace+
Buffalo Trace Eagle Rare
Buffalo Trace Rock Hill Farms
Heaven Hill Elijah Craig+
Heaven Hill Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
Heaven Hill Evan Williams Barrel Proof
Heaven Hill Evan Williams Black Label+
Heaven Hill Evan Williams Single Barrel
Heaven Hill Evan Williams White Label
Heaven Hill Heaven Hill
Heaven Hill Henry Mckenna
Heaven Hill Henry McKenna Single Barrel
Heaven Hill J.W. Dant
Jim Beam Bakers
Jim Beam Devil's Cut
Jim Beam Jim Beam
Jim Beam Jim Beam Black
Jim Beam Jim Beam Distiller's Select
Jim Beam Jim Beam Double Oak
Jim Beam Jim Beam Single Barrel
Jim Beam Knob Creek+
Jim Beam Knob Creek Single Barrel
Jim Beam Old Crow
Michter's Michter's US1
Wild Turkey KY Spirit
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Wild Turkey Russels' Reserve
Wild Turkey Wild Turkey 101+

Have to admit I'm Jim Beam curious after my dive into things today. Didn't know they made Knob Creek and that the base product, Jim Beam, had the profile I like. Would be awesome to find a $15-20 fifth I enjoyed as much as I do the higher-priced stuff.

Any thoughts on that one? Don't think I've ever had it.

Have to admit I'm Jim Beam curious after my dive into things today. Didn't know they made Knob Creek and that the base product, Jim Beam, had the profile I like. Would be awesome to find a $15-20 fifth I enjoyed as much as I do the higher-priced stuff.

I think our tastes may be really close. I really like Buffalo Trace and Evan Williams. I prefer EvN Williams to Beam, and I have a soft spot for Beam since my grandma‘s nightcap of choice was a high ball with Beam and 7-up, and after grandpa passed and I turned 21, I was the only one she’d ask to pick up a 1.75 when she ran out.

I'm about a year or so longer into it than you but agree with the sentiment. I've found that I like both Makers Mark and Old Forester. Both are reasonably easy to get, not that expensive and have private selection/store picks that are available. It's really all I need.

Don't have specific tasting notes, but I thought the 'standard' Jim Beam sipped pretty easily. FWIW, I had Knob Creek 9 several months before trying the Beam and didn't recall any similarities. I've also had the Devil's Cut version of Beam, which I liked more than the regular.

Also, regarding your list, I'm nearing the end of my first 1.75L of Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond (which I think is the 'white label' you're referring to), and I'd say it compares favorably to the black label, with the same palate turned up a half-step, and their 1783 label is pretty much a clone of both.

Old Tub is their bottom tier offering. A shade over $20, 100 proof, NCF BIB and the same mash bill as KC.

Last edited:
Michter's Michter's US1

My nephew gave me this one for Christmas - brought it back from a trip to Kentucky. I haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to it. Also got a bottle of Widow Jane 10 year from my neighbor. Its a bit sweet but has a strong bite at the end. I wouldn't say its a fantastic bourbon by any means but I've managed to go through half the bottle (with some help) in one month so can't complain.

Users who are viewing this thread