What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (4 Viewers)

Added a splash of water for the third sip, and that took all the fun out of it.
I am not sure what your version of "splash" is, but it may be best to be talking about drops instead. Literally add a small drop and see what that does for you. Add 2 drops and see... explore rather than instantly dilute it too far. How much water (if any) to add will be a personal preference and that preference may very well change from whiskey to whiskey.

Finishing up last spot on the trip from a few weeks ago. After Heaven Hill, we went for the full tour at Bardstown Bourbon. It definitely has the "new money" vibe and looks like what it is: what you get if you start a new distillery and pour tons of money and influence into it.

The facilities were top-notch. The restaurant was outstanding. Tour was excellent as well. They clearly (and smartly) see this as advertising/public relations and the woman giving our tour was excellent. I was with my 80-year-old Aunt who has a little trouble walking longer distances and I asked if it would be possible for some assistance and they jumped instantly to get a golf cart for her and couldn't have been more accommodating. Turns out the tour guide plays Dynasty Fantasy Football so maybe we do a Footballguys event there. Excellent spot and I'd recommend for sure. Was for sure super nice but didn't have that mega-millions this is a marketing company trying to be a bourbon company vibe from Heaven Hill.

Last edited:
Finishing up last spot on the trip from a few weeks ago. After Heaven Hill, we went for the full tour at Bardstown Bourbon. It definitely has the "new money" vibe and looks like what it is: what you get if you start a new distillery and pour tons of money and influence into it.

The facilities were top-notch. The restaurant was outstanding. Tour was excellent as well. They clearly (and smartly) see this as advertising/public relations and the woman giving our tour was excellent. I was with my 80-year-old Aunt who has a little trouble walking longer distances and I asked if it would be possible for some assistance and they jumped instantly to get a golf cart for her and couldn't have been more accommodating. Turns out the tour guide plays Dynasty Fantasy Football so maybe we do a Footballguys event there. Excellent spot and I'd recommend for sure. Was for sure super nice but didn't have that mega-millions this is a marketing company trying to be a bourbon company vibe from Heaven Hill.
I believe this is the company that ruined/made an amazing romantic evening for my wife and I in DC.

We were traveling DC down the Appalachian trail to Asheville for a little road trip getaway for a couple weeks. Started first night of the trip with some sort of "chef's kitchen" reservation at Gravitas (Matt Baker's DC restaurant) where 2 people/night get to sit in the kitchen and have the executive chef serve and explain the dishes and you can watch the kitchen operate and there's a full wine pairing and its was like 7-10 courses or something.

Anyway we get there and it looks dead and closed, but people are clearly working, and there's a Bardstown Bourbon giant trailer behind like an F350 on the street. So we go in the door, and we're very nicely dressed and someone is like, "you're early! The party doesn't start for another hour!" We looked so confused that she immediately got someone to help.

So we tell them about our reservation and the host is like "YES! So sorry, we are going to honor this for sure but we have to apologize about noise tonight. We're so glad you're here (blah blah)...We are doing a launch party for this new bourbon brand, so it'll be an interesting evening for sure. So Sorry about the atmosphere!"

But then it was the greatest thing ever. All the kitchen staff were just doing the mass like 120+ sets of al the same food, but then kept coming over to us and saying how excited they were to do the custom chef's menu for us and how it was gonna be so fun because they had a ton of freedom that day. And then the bar manager brought us apology fancy cocktails. And then every course that went to the party, the kitchen staff snuck us a piece of too.

And then the bourbon people came over towards the end and offered us cocktails of our choice with their bourbon, and neat pours as well, and were apologetic that they ruined our romantic evening.

As we repeatedly told everyone who apologized, nothing was ruined - one of the best dining experiences I've ever had and though I haven't seen their bourbon in Dallas yet, I'd totally grab a bottle if i did.

Idk i don't think i've told anyone that story but thought maybe some here would find it amusing.

Did you get a chance to go into the vintage library during your tour? Pretty awesome room.

I believe this is the company that ruined/made an amazing romantic evening for my wife and I in DC.

We were traveling DC down the Appalachian trail to Asheville for a little road trip getaway for a couple weeks. Started first night of the trip with some sort of "chef's kitchen" reservation at Gravitas (Matt Baker's DC restaurant) where 2 people/night get to sit in the kitchen and have the executive chef serve and explain the dishes and you can watch the kitchen operate and there's a full wine pairing and its was like 7-10 courses or something.

Anyway we get there and it looks dead and closed, but people are clearly working, and there's a Bardstown Bourbon giant trailer behind like an F350 on the street. So we go in the door, and we're very nicely dressed and someone is like, "you're early! The party doesn't start for another hour!" We looked so confused that she immediately got someone to help.

So we tell them about our reservation and the host is like "YES! So sorry, we are going to honor this for sure but we have to apologize about noise tonight. We're so glad you're here (blah blah)...We are doing a launch party for this new bourbon brand, so it'll be an interesting evening for sure. So Sorry about the atmosphere!"

But then it was the greatest thing ever. All the kitchen staff were just doing the mass like 120+ sets of al the same food, but then kept coming over to us and saying how excited they were to do the custom chef's menu for us and how it was gonna be so fun because they had a ton of freedom that day. And then the bar manager brought us apology fancy cocktails. And then every course that went to the party, the kitchen staff snuck us a piece of too.

And then the bourbon people came over towards the end and offered us cocktails of our choice with their bourbon, and neat pours as well, and were apologetic that they ruined our romantic evening.

As we repeatedly told everyone who apologized, nothing was ruined - one of the best dining experiences I've ever had and though I haven't seen their bourbon in Dallas yet, I'd totally grab a bottle if i did.

Idk i don't think i've told anyone that story but thought maybe some here would find it amusing.
Their product hasn't actually come of age yet (or at least it hadn't as of a year ago when I was there). They put together and market a couple blends with whiskey sourced from elsewhere. I think the Discovery 6 is fantastic, albeit overpriced. When I was there, I asked the woman who was leading our tasting where they were sourcing their whiskey from. She said "I'm not allowed to tell you." I asked if she would let us know if we guessed it right. She replied "Gobble Gobble". :lmao:

I am not sure what your version of "splash" is, but it may be best to be talking about drops instead. Literally add a small drop and see what that does for you. Add 2 drops and see... explore rather than instantly dilute it too far. How much water (if any) to add will be a personal preference and that preference may very well change from whiskey to whiskey.
In this case it was just a few drops. I often mix up my common phrases and what sounds right in my head doesn't always mean the same thing to others. I usually have a glass of water next to me and will add some drops, not very scientific and it will vary from 2-4 drops to more, which I would consider a 'splash' when it's going into what's left of the 50-70ml left in the glass. Been too lazy to check and see if we have an eyedropper in the house. Overall, I've found that only a small amount of the whiskies I've tried improve with any water, but I keep trying, just to be consistent.

That's a great story. And sounds exactly like something they'd do. It's a new company that's clearly super well financed and aggressive. They started with hiring Steve Nally as their master distiller. He's in the Bourbon Hall Of Fame Master Distiller. I have no idea but my guess is they made him an offer he couldn't turn down. It's fantastic instant credibility. If I were starting a distillery and had a huge budget, that's exactly what I would have done. Smart.

They're also doing a super smart business angle where they're bottling for other brands leveraging their assets and resources. The facilities are awesome but not insane like Heaven Hill. It looks like exactly what it seems to be - a super aggressive relatively new startup with tons of money and talent behind it. I'll be surprised if they don't continue to rise.

That's a great story. And sounds exactly like something they'd do. It's a new company that's clearly super well financed and aggressive. They started with hiring Steve Nally as their master distiller. He's in the Bourbon Hall Of Fame Master Distiller. I have no idea but my guess is they made him an offer he couldn't turn down. It's fantastic instant credibility. If I were starting a distillery and had a huge budget, that's exactly what I would have done. Smart.

They're also doing a super smart business angle where they're bottling for other brands leveraging their assets and resources. The facilities are awesome but not insane like Heaven Hill. It looks like exactly what it seems to be - a super aggressive relatively new startup with tons of money and talent behind it. I'll be surprised if they don't continue to rise.
While on your tour of Bardstown Distillery, did you get to see the "Man-Cave" conference room on the lower level of one of the rickhouse's? Now THAT would be a perfect place to hold a draft night!!

As prices move around im finding Four Roses Small batch to be a great value right now and available almost anywhere.
If you haven't done so already, do yourself a solid and try Four Roses Small Batch Select for a few dollars more. It's usually pretty available, even in some grocery stores etc. I find it to be fantastic and probably enjoy it more than 4RSB.

While on your tour of Bardstown Distillery, did you get to see the "Man-Cave" conference room on the lower level of one of the rickhouse's? Now THAT would be a perfect place to hold a draft night!!

Yes! We did. That's what got me thinking on it. Our guide is into Fantasy Football and we talked about maybe a Footballguys Event. That could be super fun.

Tonight, I'm experiencing Copper Still, a single barrel Indiana straight bourbon whiskey aged at least 3 years, coming in at 90 proof and with a mash bill that contains 36% rye.

First thought: I had a $5 off coupon from Total Wine that was set to expire in a few days, though it was only good for specific brands only found at Total Wine. I've tried a couple of these brands and found them to be pretty much cheap knockoffs of other brands. That said, the 36% rye was intriguing, so I picked it up. I nearly left it on the shelf in favor of Old Grand-Dad 114, which was a few dollars more and I couldn't have used the coupon for it. Calling it 'Indiana' straight bourbon makes me think it's sourced from MGP, which isn't a bad thing. I'm on kind of a roll in going up the rye ladder, from sub 20% Wild Turkey 101 and Old Forrester to 27% Old Grand-Dad Bonded to this. Here goes nothing...

First sniff: Similar to the Old Grand-Dad but not as strong, which is counterintuitive to me due to the higher rye content, but whatever.

First sip: A blast of heat, then vanilla and chocolate and entirely chocolate aftertaste reminiscent of Yoohoo. The aftertaste is about the same, watery chocolate.

Second sip: Before the sip I took another sniff and the first words I could put together were 'dusty' and 'corn'. The actual sip was more of the same but there was a slight burn on the way down., and again watery chocolate for the aftertaste.

Added more than a few drops of water before the third sip, which only took away the burn while the main notes of vanilla and chocolate remained. I liked it just fine without the water but wanted to be consistent with my other first tries.

Knee-jerk thoughts: Interesting. I want to hold against it the fact that it's only available at Total Wine, but honestly it's pretty easy to drink and at ~$30 for 750ML and 90 proof, it's a good bang for the buck. Will have to match it up against Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch.

So I finally got my hands on a bottle of the base Buffalo Trace KSB and... I think I like the Elijah Craig better as a ~midrange go-to. Might still switch in the Knob Creek 9 or some BT every now and then if I get bored, but mostly I'll stick with the EC I think.

Still debating between Evan Williams White or Wild Turkey 101 for a cheaper option, but I like them both.

Haven't really started into the higher-end stuff, but honestly might not. Seems like it's a pretty deep rabbit hole and requires a pretty deep pocket.

FWIW, if you find that you really like some of the bourbons you try and really don't like others, it's worth looking up the mash bills. All of the ones I mentioned above are very very close to each other in the big picture. I don't care for Rye at all. So after tasting a few that were a little bit more rye forward, I snap-cut out anything over like 15% rye. And all of the ones above are in the 10-12% rye range IIRC. But I didn't know that when I was first tasting them -- I only found that all the ones I liked were similar afterwards.

After 15 years of nothing but Jack Daniels products I dropped out of the club and started searching for new drinks. Ventured into Knob Creek last year and am really starting to open up space in the cabinet for others.

Russell's Reserve 10 year 90 proof is the new favorite. Love the strength and flavor.

Makers Mark Cask Strength 112.5 proof is a close 2nd. More strength, but less flavor than RR.

Coopers Barrel Reserve 100 proof is close to Maker's, but even less flavor.

Don't really care for Elijah Craig Small Batch 94 proof, but it wasn't the worst.

Jack Daniels Bonded 100 proof is dead last and I can't really stand it straight.

ABC State limits our selections. May have to travel to really explore the better options.

Woodford Reserve and Larceny are on the list next.

Last edited:
After 15 years of nothing but Jack Daniels products I dropped out of the club and started searching for new drinks. Ventured into Knob Creek last year and am really starting to open up space in the cabinet for others.

Don't really care for Elijah Craig Small Batch 94 proof.

Russell's Reserve 10 year 90 proof is the new favorite. Love the strength and flavor.

Makers Mark Cask Strength 112.5 proof is a close 2nd. More strength, but less flavor than RR.

Don't really care for Elijah Craig Small Batch 94 proof, but it wasn't the worst.

Jack Daniels Bonded 100 proof is dead last and I can't really stand it straight.

ABC State limits our selections. May have to travel to really explore the better options.

Any experience with Wild Turkey products? The 101 is fairly common and a good bang for the buck, imo.

Any experience with Wild Turkey products? The 101 is fairly common and a good bang for the buck, imo.
Russell's is made by Wild Turkey. I'll give the 101 a shot if it's available here. I've been making picks in pairs, so I'll add that one this week if I can find it.

Russell's is made by Wild Turkey. I'll give the 101 a shot if it's available here. I've been making picks in pairs, so I'll add that one this week if I can find it.
Won't be surprised if you don't like the WT101 as much as the Russell's, but if money is every an issue, the 101 is a nice alternative.

My issue with Russels…it was great as a $25-30 bottle. Now its basically $40 or more and I find better values. Even if I prefer it overall.

As prices move around im finding Four Roses Small batch to be a great value right now and available almost anywhere.
If you haven't done so already, do yourself a solid and try Four Roses Small Batch Select for a few dollars more. It's usually pretty available, even in some grocery stores etc. I find it to be fantastic and probably enjoy it more than 4RSB.
Well here...its more than just a few $$s more. Small Batch is around $34...the Small Batch Select hits at $65 at one store...maybe $59 at another. Takes it away from the value bourbon range to me. I don't mind spending for quality though and may check it out...but seems there are other options in that $60-70 price range too.

Won't be surprised if you don't like the WT101 as much as the Russell's, but if money is every an issue, the 101 is a nice alternative.
You're right. WT101 is smooth, but lacks the flavor that Russell's has.

Also tried Larceny 92 proof small batch tonight. Right on par with WT101. Smooth, but not much flavor. Gets a slight edge over WT101.

Stood in line for about an hour today because Alabama likes to allocate the rare products to certain stores. Didn't realize there was a lottery as well so you are guaranteed to be one of the first 50 in the store.

I was about #25 of the "walk-ups".

Still left with Weller Reserve and Larceny Barrel Proof from the allocated selection.

Grabbed WT Rare Breed and KC120 on the way out as well.

Will definitely have to remember to sign up for the "lottery" next time.

I prefer Blantons, but it’s hard to get. Less so in restaurants however

Have a couple of buddies who are bourbon junkies and collect different brands. One guy has at least 40-50 bottles ranging from 30 to 1000 dollars a bottle.

We do blind testings all the time to see if we can actually tell the difference between say a 200-300 dollar bottle and a 30-50 dollar bottle. More times than not we have liked the 30-50 dollar bottle better than the way more expensive brands.

A brand that is one of my favorites and I think very underrated is 10 Year Old Russell's. For around 40 bucks a bottle I like this better than the higher end stuff.

Also as Jen Psaki would say I have been circling back to the basic Makers Mark, the one I started out on. After not having it for a couple years really enjoyed it again.

Last edited:
Have a couple of buddies who are bourbon junkies and collect different brands. One guy has at least 40-50 bottles ranging from 30 to 1000 dollars a bottle.

We do blind testings all the time to see if we can actually tell the different between say a 2-300 dollar bottle and a 30-50 dollar bottle. More times than not we have like the 30-50 dollar bottle better than the way more expensive brand

A brand that is one of my favorites and I think very underrated is 10 Year Old Russells. For around 40 bucks a bottle I like this better than the higher end stuff.

Also as Jen Psaki would say I have been circling back to the basic Makers Mark, the one I started out on. After not having it for a couple years really enjoyed it again.

I think the most bang for your buck is in the 50-80 range if you find some bottles you like. But I realize even that is a little pricey for some folks.

I’ve reached a point now that I have so many bottles that I plan to only buy $50-100 for a while because I like to have 1-2 nice pours over double that of cheaper stuff.

We do blind testings all the time to see if we can actually tell the different between say a 2-300 dollar bottle and a 30-50 dollar bottle. More times than not we have like the 30-50 dollar bottle better than the way more expensive brand

A brand that is one of my favorites and I think very underrated is 10 Year Old Russells. For around 40 bucks a bottle I like this better than the higher end stuff.

I think the most bang for your buck is in the 50-80 range if you find some bottles you like. But I realize even that is a little pricey for some folks.

I’ve reached a point now that I have so many bottles that I plan to only buy $50-100 for a while because I like to have 1-2 nice pours over double that of cheaper stuff.

I agree, but lets be real. With many bourbons and even vodkas people are swayed by the package and perceived high end quality. We did a vodka taste and let our friends see the bottles. Put Smirnoff in a Grey Goose bottle, and Grey Goose in a Smirnoff bottle and people chose the Grey goose as superior even though it was Smirnoff.

The same holds true for bourbon. My one buddy put 25.00 Buffalo Trace in a Papi Van Winkle bottle that goes for around a grand a bottle, and a couple of our friends raved at how great it was and so much better it was that the other stuff.

I agree, but lets be real. With many bourbons and even vodkas people are swayed by the package and perceived high end quality. We did a vodka taste and let our friends see the bottles. Put Smirnoff in a Grey Goose bottle, and Grey Goose in a Smirnoff bottle and people chose the Grey goose as superior even though it was Smirnoff.

The same holds true for bourbon. My one buddy put 25.00 Buffalo Trace in a Papi Van Winkle bottle that goes for around a grand a bottle, and a couple of our friends raved at how great it was and so much better it was that the other stuff.

Absolutely - and some of my favorite bottles are ones most people aren’t familiar with. I’ll probably never pay over 150-200 for a bottle with so much good stuff to be had below that range.

Maybe some of the VanWinkle magic rubbed off on it? I should’ve saved the bottle from the last bottle of Elmer T. Lee I had and strategically placed it on the shelf to see if it improves everythign around it.

Weller Special Reserve has a decent flavor. Something weird about it, but it's pretty good. Russell's 10 year still the winner so far in my purchases lately.

Picked these up on my way home from
Florida. Nothing too special but not stuff I typically see in Michigan. I think was priced reasonably

Whistlepig PiggyBack Rye
Willett
Willett family estate small batch rye
Rowan’s Creek
Blade and Bow

They did have some rare stuff too (old rip, pappy, stagg jr, Weller) but priced too high for my tastes, especially after a Disney trip

Florida. Nothing too special but not stuff I typically see in Michigan. I think was priced reasonably

Whistlepig PiggyBack Rye
Willett
Rowan’s Creek
Blade and Bow

They did have some rare stuff too (old rip, pappy, stagg jr, Weller) but priced too high for my tastes, especially after a Disney trip
I was in Daytona a week ago. And I visited many liquor stores that were in the area of where I was staying. I was mildly disappointed with the selections. For the most part, I noticed they had Elijah Craig Barrel Proof A123 and Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof that both seem to be unicorns here in SE Michigan.

Whistlepig PiggyBack Rye
Willett
Rowan’s Creek
Blade and Bow

I was in Daytona a week ago. And I visited

many liquor stores that were in the area of where I was staying. I was mildly disappointed with the selections. For the most part, I noticed they had Elijah Craig Barrel Proof A123 and Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof that both seem to be unicorns here in SE Michigan.
Very tough for visitors to find Weller and BTAC stuff here. ABC (private not State owned) has the exclusive on those lines and only sells them through their frequent shopper program.

Whistlepig PiggyBack Rye
Willett
Rowan’s Creek
Blade and Bow

many liquor stores that were in the area of where I was staying. I was mildly disappointed with the selections. For the most part, I noticed they had Elijah Craig Barrel Proof A123 and Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof that both seem to be unicorns here in SE Michigan.
Very tough for visitors to find Weller and BTAC stuff here. ABC (private not State owned) has the exclusive on those lines and only sells them through their frequent shopper program.
Forgot to clarify I got these in Tennessee near the Ky border. Looks like I probably overpaid a bit but oh well

Whistlepig PiggyBack Rye
Willett
Rowan’s Creek
Blade and Bow

I almost feel fortunate to have gotten into whiskey during this crazy cycle, in that I was always going to have to stick to brands on the cheaper end anyway, and for the most part, the lower end brands have remained affordable. For example, I've really fallen for WT101, and just replaced my empty 1.75L bottle with a full one for $40 including tax. The downside is that now I'm spending too much time agonizing over cheap brands; on the same trip, I picked up a 1.75L of Very Old Barton for $25 + tax and started to move toward the register a couple of times but kept going back to the shelf because I didn't know enough about to commit to getting that much of something I wasn't sure I was going to like, so I went home and re-read articles and re-watched reviews on channels who's hosts I trust. Just seemed weird to me to act like that over something so cheap.

Tried the Larceny Barrel Proof (125 proof) and it has good flavor and smooth. Love the strength.

Next up:

Devil's River Single Barrel (121 proof) - Will be my first Texas Whiskey/Bourbon
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked (90 proof)

Had to pass on Angel's Envy this time, but I have my eye on it for next up after these two.

Last edited:
Tried the Larceny Barrel Proof (125 proof) and it has good flavor and smooth. Love the strength.

Next up:

Devil's River Single Barrel (121 proof)
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked (90 proof)

Had to pass on Angel's Envy this time, but I have my eye on it for next up after these two.
I know it’s not a Bourbon, but the Angel’s Envy Rye is probably the best Whiskey I’ve tasted so far. Nice caramel/butterscotch flavor to it. Order it neat, no water needed.

In this case it was just a few drops. I often mix up my common phrases and what sounds right in my head doesn't always mean the same thing to others. I usually have a glass of water next to me and will add some drops, not very scientific and it will vary from 2-4 drops to more, which I would consider a 'splash' when it's going into what's left of the 50-70ml left in the glass. Been too lazy to check and see if we have an eyedropper in the house. Overall, I've found that only a small amount of the whiskies I've tried improve with any water, but I keep trying, just to be consistent.
It is very easy to use a straw to add your drops of water after a try or two. I have stainless steel reusable straws that are pretty thin and perfect.

I know it’s not a Bourbon, but the Angel’s Envy Rye is probably the best Whiskey I’ve tasted so far. Nice caramel/butterscotch flavor to it. Order it neat, no water needed.

Thanks. I'm a novice but lots of Rye's are a little more spicy than I like. I do like the Bulleit Rye as it's more mild. (Which may be sacrilege, I don't know. I just know what I like). How? does the Angel Envy compare there on the spiciness level?

New to the whole bourbon/whiskey thing (generally a beer and/or gin guy), but I'm starting to really get into it, thanks in part to some help from @AAABatteries. So far my go-to is the "regular" Angel's Envy, but I'm finding that I generally enjoy ryes, and @JShare87's comments confirm all the good things I've heard about the Angel's Envy version, so that's probably next on my list to try. I did pick up two different Barrell expressions last week (Dovetail and Seagrass), and despite them being pretty high proof, they're both pretty drinkable.

Thanks. I'm a novice but lots of Rye's are a little more spicy than I like. I do like the Bulleit Rye as it's more mild. (Which may be sacrilege, I don't know. I just know what I like). How? does the Angel Envy compare there on the spiciness level?
It's finished in Rum casks so it is not spicy at all. If anything I find it way too sweet...almost a dessert whiskey.

New to the whole bourbon/whiskey thing (generally a beer and/or gin guy), but I'm starting to really get into it, thanks in part to some help from @AAABatteries. So far my go-to is the "regular" Angel's Envy, but I'm finding that I generally enjoy ryes, and @JShare87's comments confirm all the good things I've heard about the Angel's Envy version, so that's probably next on my list to try. I did pick up two different Barrell expressions last week (Dovetail and Seagrass), and despite them being pretty high proof, they're both pretty drinkable.
Some of my favorite "rye's" would include:
Barrel Seagrass
Pikesville
Sagamore Spirit - Sherry Finish
Whistlepig 12

The Pikesville's are usually in that $50 range. Sagamore & Seagrass probably closer to $80-90 range. The Whistlepig 12 will cost you...but it is so good. All four of those I really enjoy and I "think" they are obtainable.

I like the WIllet 4 Year but I had to get that in Bardstown at their distillery. I used to be able to get EH Taylor Rye, but I haven't even seen one in Michigan for 5 years now.

Barrel Seagrass
Pikesville
Whistlepig 12

The Pikesville's are usually in that $50 range. Sagamore & Seagrass probably closer to $80-90 range. The Whistlepig 12 will cost you...but it is so good. All four of those I really enjoy and I "think" they are obtainable.

I like the WIllet 4 Year but I had to get that in Bardstown at their distillery. I used to be able to get EH Taylor Rye, but I haven't even seen one in Michigan for 5 years now.
Maybe dumb question, but what's the difference between the Whistlepig 12 ($145 at Total Wine) and the Whistlepig 12 "Bespoke Blend Barrel Select" ($170)?

I am by no means an expert. The AE Rye has little to no spice. Like another poster said, it is almost dessert-like.

And one more question - when someone references Old Forester "full proof," which one are they talking about?

And one more question - when someone references Old Forester "full proof," which one are they talking about?

Old Forester does a Single Barrel, Barrel Proof bourbon and rye. Bourbon is frequently store picks and can be found if you search. The OF SBBP Rye is one of my favorite pours ever. I’d pay $150 for a bottle if I saw one. If you ever come across it pick it up for your GB AAA. ;)

Barrel Seagrass
Pikesville
Whistlepig 12

Good list - Sagamore has some outstanding stuff they are doing. Their Double Oaked is great. I have a Manhattan finished one from them that I love.

Pikesville is great - one of my favorites for the price.

I told grue to get the Seagrass - it’s not for everybody but if it hits your palate then it’s fantastic.

I’ve had the WP 12 before and wasn’t blown away - need to have it again.

EHT Rye is harder to find than SB, SiB and BP. I’d love to find a bottle but I’ve given up hope and don’t really hunt for stuff much any more.

I’ve had the WP 12 before and wasn’t blown away - need to have it again.
The WP12 that I have (my only one ever) didn't blow me away at first - at least for the price. But after it had been opened for a while, I really enjoy it. I have been really nursing it too (since I probably will not drop the coin for another).

I am by no means an expert. The AE Rye has little to no spice. Like another poster said, it is almost dessert-like.

AE finished Rye was my first finished rye many years ago - I’ve pretty much determined of all the varieties of whiskey out there that finished products are my favorite and in particular finished ryes. I think I own about 6-8 of them.

Users who are viewing this thread