What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

Feels like there was a big drop of Buffalo Trace here recently. Went a solid week with it available at my local store. Picked up 3 bottles. My wife's head of security picked me up a bottle of EH Taylor Rye somewhere. Wouldn't take money for it so I picked up an Old Forrester gift set that with 1897, 1910 and 1920 in it. Was the only one like that I've seen around recently and was $10 more than the EH Taylor. 😆

Feels like there was a big drop of Buffalo Trace here recently. Went a solid week with it available at my local store. Picked up 3 bottles. My wife's head of security picked me up a bottle of EH Taylor Rye somewhere. Wouldn't take money for it so I picked up an Old Forrester gift set that with 1897, 1910 and 1920 in it. Was the only one like that I've seen around recently and was $10 more than the EH Taylor. 😆
It's NEVER available around here (SE Wisconsin). A local bar/restaurant just did a barrel pick, though, so I'll be getting one of those bottles in a couple of weeks.

I’d love to get my hands on EHT Rye but never even seen one in Georgia.
I found it once a dump of a liquor store in Myrtle Beach about 6 years ago. I had gone in there to see if they had ginger ale for my wife to mix her Jameson in.

TD - "Hey. You have any ginger ale"
Annoyed Clerk - "Sir. This is a LIQUOR store..."
TD - "Oh. You don't sell soda in here too?"
Clerk - "Nope. Its a LIQUOR store."

I was just about to leave when I looked up and saw the bottle behind the counter in the corner of the shelf.

TD - "Hey can I see that EH? How much is it?"
Clerk - "$70 (or whatever it was I can't remember honestly)"
TD - "Damn. You are gonna make me buy this now!"
Clerk - "Well sir, you don't HAVE to buy it"

One and only time I've ever found one in the wild. Found a single barrel 2x and a number of small batch but not the Rye.

Odd i found similar to the point I was in picking up beer and a bottle of Evan Williams BIB and Buffalo Trace was on the shelf so I grabbed a bottle as I like to keep a couple bottles of it . Same store a week later was an email blast that an allocation of Buffalo Trace was in (including the 1.75 l).

Scored a bottle of McKenna BIB 10-year Single Barrel today. Any good?
You're the one with the bottle...you tell us! ;) I've never had it, otherwise I would give you an opinion. With regard to the Knob Creek I would agree with AAA. You'll notice the oak and and a lingering spicy finish. Nothing wrong with sipping, but Knob Creek products are generally economical and make a good choice for cocktails.

Scored a bottle of McKenna BIB 10-year Single Barrel today. Any good?
As with the case in all single barrel bourbon's...some are better than others. I have read about McKenna being extremely good and not-so-good in the opinions of many. However the 2 particular McKenna's that I have personally had, have been good to very good. I would not pay allocated prices for it, but it is worth the MSRP.

Went and visited my sister in Minneapolis this past weekend. Snagged a bottle of the new Booker's "Charlie's Batch" at MSRP, and when I bought it, the guy in the liquor department told me (unsolicited) that they had one bottle of Buffalo Trace left in back, and he asked if I wanted that, too. No mark-up, so I took it.

Tomorrow night I get my barrel-pick bottle of BT, so it'll be interesting to see if there's any noticeable difference between the two.

Tomorrow night I get my barrel-pick bottle of BT, so it'll be interesting to see if there's any noticeable difference between the two.
So like I said, I'm new to the bourbon game, but the bar that did the barrel pick had the most insane bourbon list that I've ever seen:

Page 1

Page 2

They were giving free samples of their NULU Toasted Rye private barrel, so I tried that, and then I paid for 1-ounce pours of EHT Small Batch and Elijah Craig 18.

Ran the London Marathon today and took the opportunity to hit a local wine/spirits store and snag this unicorn.

Grabbed a couple other bottles, too, but this was the crown jewel - pun intended.
I finished the bottle of Blanton's Gold I imported from the UK 7 or 8 years ago about a month ago. As I was about to pitch the bottle in the trash I stopped because it was so nice looking. I wound up listing it on ebay and got $30+ shipping for the empty bottle.

Isn't that because someone is going to fill it with something a lot cheaper and then sell it as Blanton's Gold?

Ran the London Marathon today and took the opportunity to hit a local wine/spirits store and snag this unicorn.

Grabbed a couple other bottles, too, but this was the crown jewel - pun intended.
I finished the bottle of Blanton's Gold I imported from the UK 7 or 8 years ago about a month ago. As I was about to pitch the bottle in the trash I stopped because it was so nice looking. I wound up listing it on ebay and got $30+ shipping for the empty bottle.

Isn't that because someone is going to fill it with something a lot cheaper and then sell it as Blanton's Gold?
I can't imagine anyone would buy an opened bottle. I assumed they were using it for a decanter or decoration. But maybe I'm naive.

Noah's Mill is the drink tonight. Most expensive bottle I've had to date and it doesn't disappoint at all. Easy drinker at 114 proof, but still has enough to satisfy those that like the heat. Not as much oak flavor as I'm used to with the mainstream bourbons, but it's definitely there amongst the other flavors. Taste a little hint of cinnamon, first time I've been able to taste in any whiskey I've had that's not named Fireball (oh come on, you've had it too...). Vanilla is there as well. Good flavors!

Top 5 in flavor, but price keeps it out of the daily-sipper category for sure.

Last edited:
Next up on the whiskey journey: Larceny

First thought: After learning that several labels that I like--Evan Williams (I celebrate all three of their bourbon labels, Black, Bottled-in-Bond and 1783/Small Batch), Elijah Craig and Mellow Corn--all come from the same distillery, Heaven Hill, I decided to give their wheated bourbon a chance, though I did hedge my bets a little and went with the trial sized. I've had two other wheaters: Bernheim and Maker's Mark and while I didn't hate them, they just didn't do much for me.

First sniff: Smells like Evan Williams Black/Bottled in Bond/Small Batch, maybe a little sweeter

First sip: Evan Williams Small Batch but a with a little less bite. Easy finish.

Second sip: Near carbon copy of the first sip.

Knee-jerk thoughts: Not sure why I'm surprised that I like this so much; it's familiar and easy on the palate. I see more of this in my near future, especially at a mere $22.99/750ml.

So, I have so many bottles that I’ve moved in to the stage where I’m only buying out of necessity or something a little special/more expensive.
  • Was gifted a bottle of Slane Irish for my birthday
  • Emerald Giant Cask Strength- Redwood Empires Rye, which I’m a big fan of, at cask strength. Fabulous. Paid $80
  • My buddy found the Emerald Giant and Lost Monarch cask strength- liked EG so much I had him pick me up another and the LM - $75 each - both are very good. Really pleased with the purchase
  • Jack Daniel’s barrel proof rye - I missed out on the special release JD rye that everyone raved about. When they announced this new regular release I had already decided it was an instant buy. Haven’t cracked it yet. Paid $75
  • Can’t remember if I mentioned the Chattanooga Cabernet Finished that I picked up but it’s a nice bottle - think it was around $55

Had a bachelor party in Nashville this past weekend, and I was able to snag a bottle of EHT Small Batch and another bottle of Blanton's. The catch was that I had to buy 1.75L bottles of two other Buffalo Trace products, Benchmark Old No. 8 and Wheatley vodka, which I didn't mind terribly because the Benchmark (a "younger Buffalo Trace") was fine for the guys to use as a mixer, and my wife and her Polish friends can drink the vodka.

I forgot to get a receipt, and I don't remember exactly how much I paid for what, but it was $180 total, so probably just a little over MSRP.

Time for another stop along my whiskey journey: Woodford Reserve.

First thought: I'm already a fan of the double oaked, though it comes on a little strong to me as well, so I'm hoping their standard offering still brings what I like in a less aggressive way.

First sniff: Rye? Wanted to say 'astringent' but it doesn't smell like chemicals and isn't burning my nose hair and I finally got a hint of mint that I associate with rye.

First sip: a flash of heat, then burnt caramel and Wild Turkey 101-esque cherry/vanilla and then bitter on the end.

Second sip: while I got a hint of brown sugar on the nose this time, this sip skipped any enjoyable notes and went straight to bitter, sour and a little watery. The longer it lingered, the more it tasted like what I imagine what water that was used for boiling hot dogs tastes like.

Knee-jerk thoughts: Maybe this is why we hear about their double oaked a lot and this one not at all. I admit I had my hopes up a little, anticipating a slightly turned down oaky brightness, but I think that bitter note I tasted instead was the oak, and it tasted tired or oversaturated. Fortunately, the bottle I got was only 200ml, so I learned a cheap lesson. The double oaked is definitely a different animal than this, and I doubt this experience will damage my enjoyment of the other.

In the unlikely event that anyone can get their hands on a bottle of Penelope Rio for me, I’d be eternally grateful. From what I hear, the entire state of Wisconsin got three cases.

Jack Daniel’s barrel proof rye - I missed out on the special release JD rye that everyone raved about. When they announced this new regular release I had already decided it was an instant buy. Haven’t cracked it yet. Paid $75

Cracked this open yesterday - holy crap it’s so good. My buddy picked up a bottle and seeing as they are single barrels he grabbed the highest proof one they had - 135. Mine was 133. We did a quick A-B and both agreed my bottle was slightly better but both were outstanding. I’ll instantly go buy 2 backups if/when I see them.

In the unlikely event that anyone can get their hands on a bottle of Penelope Rio for me, I’d be eternally grateful. From what I hear, the entire state of Wisconsin got three cases.
The Total Wine near me had some of their other expressions on the shelves, I'll keep an eye out.

Jack Daniel’s barrel proof rye - I missed out on the special release JD rye that everyone raved about. When they announced this new regular release I had already decided it was an instant buy. Haven’t cracked it yet. Paid $75

Cracked this open yesterday - holy crap it’s so good. My buddy picked up a bottle and seeing as they are single barrels he grabbed the highest proof one they had - 135. Mine was 133. We did a quick A-B and both agreed my bottle was slightly better but both were outstanding. I’ll instantly go buy 2 backups if/when I see them.
The SBBPR was initially a limited release, but they announced it’s gonna be part of their regular lineup, right? So it should become pretty easy to get?

The SBBPR was initially a limited release, but they announced it’s gonna be part of their regular lineup, right? So it should become pretty easy to get?

Correct and yes, it should, but will get bought up like crazy by folks early only like the bourbon was. It was somewhat hard to find around here the first year and still isn’t easy to find but it’s common to see it.

JD BP Rye is definitely on my radar. As-is JD Single Barrel BP and JD 12 Year (new release). All seem to be unicorns in my environs.

Sorry if Honda. Had one of the best tasting experiences I've had on the Trail yesterday at Fresh Bourbon in Lexington.

Their tasting room is near downtown. You enter and are in a small gift shop. It's a fraction the size of the big places. When the tasting is ready, they open the curtain to walk back to the bar and it's a beautiful bar with crystal chandeliers and rosewood. The bartender did a great job of explaining the different flavor notes. They just have one bourbon right now and you sampled a neat pour with pairing of fruit, pecan, honey and chocolate to get the comparable tasting thing. Take a bit of a raisin and then a sip of bourbon to see how it affects the taste of the bourbon and such. Then they also have a sample of items to pair with a smell like coffee, cinnamon, rosemary and such where you do the same thing, taking a smell of coffee and then a sip of bourbon to see how that impacts the taste of the bourbon. Super interesting. They do the smell thing at Bulleit and the taste thing at Woodford Reserve but it was interesting to do both.

Then you build an Old Fashioned with the ingredients they have. They have 6 different bitters that you can sample and then you build your cocktail with 2 of the bitters you like.

And then they'll make another cocktail for you.

The owners were there and they were fantastic. As was the bartender and beverage manager.

It was by far the best and most personable experience I'd had at a bourbon tasting.

Tour today at Bulleit. I've done this one several times and it's really good. We just did the tasting today but it's always well done.

And then a nice bar after for cocktails. It's a really well done space. If I were to start a bourbon company, I'd make it just about like this.

Made a run through bourbon country over the 4th week on our way down to Clarksville, TN to see our son who moved there earlier this year. Did a couple tours and bought a TON of liquor along the way. The Makers facility was awesome and absolutely beautiful. I appreciated their tradition in every bottle being hand dipped and their huge love of the wife who had such an impact on the product. We toured Rabbit Hole and Buffalo Trace the next day. Rabbit Hole was cool because of how small it is and modern. Totally different approach than Makers or BT.

Spent a night in Cincinnati, OH, then Nashville (apparently I ordered pizza at midnight? I have no idea what happened here) followed by a night in Clarksville and a last night in Louisville. Was a blast. Ended up with the following bottles:

2 x EH Taylor Small Batch - This was what Buffalo Trace had on our tour date.
Willet
1792 Full Proof
Old Forester 117 Sereis
Buffalo Trace
Engraved Angels Envy Single Barrel
Follesrunn Rabit Hole
Leadslingers Thin Blue line bourbon
Leadslingers Bourbon Whiskey
Patton Boubon (the last 3 were bottles for my son who is both Military and Police)
Heavens Door
Old Glory Tennessee Whiskey
Makers Mark hand dipped bottle (wife dipped it)
Teeling Irish Wishkey
Green Spot Irish Wiskey (I know these aren't bourbons, but the wife loves Jameson. So these made there way in the rotation)
2 x Sazerac Rye Whiskey

And some more I can't think of off the top of my head. Was a good time.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's still overpriced, but our Costco had the Barrel Gray Bottle on sale for $150. I don't think I've ever spent that much on a bottle, but spur of the moment went for it. Will likely wait to bring it out when doing a tasting type thing with friends - if I can wait.

Scored a 1.75L Buffalo Trace for $58 just now at an ABC store limited drop . $25/750L is pretty solid. Definitely feels like BT is becoming easier to get at a ~decent price.
I saw 4 750ml bottles at a store a month ago while in search for something else. I bought all 4 thinking I found something. As I continued my search at other stores everyone had BT.

Time for a special mid-week bonus stop on my whiskey journey: Ezra Brooks 99.

First thought: Don't know that I'll ever be done exploring the bargain basement. Don't know a whole lot about it, Seen reviews that give it favorable verdicts.

<<It does have an honest to goodness cork. Not common for sub-$25 whiskey. Could be a good sign.>>>

First sniff: Burnt cinnamon? Also a hint of rye.

First sip: Light oak, vanilla, no cinnamon. Not a taste per se, but this is lighter than what I've been drinking lately--Larceny, WT101, Old Forrester 86, etc.

Second sip: More of the same but also more sour; maybe cherry?

Knee-jerk thoughts: 99 proof, $21.99+tax. The lingering aftertaste is giving me WT101 vibes. In the store, I saw 1.75L for $37.99+ tax. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the price vs proof factor, because I sort of like it and look forward to figuring this out further.

I've really become Team Wild Turkey over the last 2-3 years.

Rare Breed and Russell's Reserve Single Barrel are absolutely elite.
Wild Turkey 101 has become my favorite bourbon to mix.

Haven't had as much of their allocated/special stuff. But the readily found stuff is fantastic.

I've really become Team Wild Turkey over the last 2-3 years.

Rare Breed and Russell's Reserve Single Barrel are absolutely elite.
Wild Turkey 101 has become my favorite bourbon to mix.

Haven't had as much of their allocated/special stuff. But the readily found stuff is fantastic.
I am onboard with Wild Turkey team as well. RRSB is one of my favorites. I have not had a bad one yet.

Just for kicks, a couple weeks ago I poured WT101 just for sipping and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. And this is a standard, always-on-the-shelf $20 to $30 offering. One of the interesting takeaways I get from Wild Turkey Distillers, all of their mashbill recipe's are the same for their many different brands of bourbon (75/13/12 - Corn/Rye/Barley). It's just a matter of aging, where stored, and proofing. IMO a very quality brand!!

Our local store had an allocated drop today when I stopped by today. They had Knob Creek 12, Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel, and Henry McKenna Single Barrel bonded (I think). They were in the $60-$75 range. I bought a $13 bottle of Benchmark 8.

In my defense I did load up with four bottles of Eagle Rare and two of Buffalo Trace a couple of weeks ago so the bourbon fund is a little tapped right now.

Still loving the Emerald Giant CS. Fantastic stuff. Went and grabbed a backup of JDSBBP rye because I was seeing it harder to find and was able to grab the last bottle at one of my local places.

Tried Willet Family Estate Bottled Small Batch Rye tonight. 103.6 proof. WAS FREAKING HORRIBLE. Might have been the worst rye I've ever had. The after taste was almost like medicine.

Tried Willet Family Estate Bottled Small Batch Rye tonight. 103.6 proof. WAS FREAKING HORRIBLE. Might have been the worst rye I've ever had. The after taste was almost like medicine.

I have a bottle from a couple years back - haven’t had it in a while but my recollection was it’s definitely kind of medicinal but not in a bad way. I definitely didn’t get the hype.

I used that in a Manhattan last night. I prefer it in that over straight.

I have a bottle from a couple years back - haven’t had it in a while but my recollection was it’s definitely kind of medicinal but not in a bad way. I definitely didn’t get the hype.
It was by far the worst bourbon or rye I've ever tasted. And that's saying a lot. I've had Rebel Yell and Ten High before. :oops:

I'm going to give the bottle to my brother who is working on an accelerated aging process with wood chips and ultrasonic sound to see if he can make it into something drinkable.

Our local store had an allocated drop today when I stopped by today. They had Knob Creek 12, Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel, and Henry McKenna Single Barrel bonded (I think). They were in the $60-$75 range. I bought a $13 bottle of Benchmark 8.

In my defense I did load up with four bottles of Eagle Rare and two of Buffalo Trace a couple of weeks ago so the bourbon fund is a little tapped right now.
For my palate, the Knob Creek 12 is good and every Henry McKenna Single Barrel I've ever had has been good as well. But for my money (and opinion), the Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel is overrated. And that opinion is coming from an EC Barrel Proof fan.

Time for another stop on my whiskey journey: Redwood Empire Pipe Dream

First thought: I'm turning into a real sucker for youtube reviews. At $29, it was favorably priced at the honey hole near my parents' house. I browse there much more often than I buy, so I coughed up a few extra dollars.

First sniff: Not a very strong smell, but what I did get was caramel and vanilla and nothing to burn the nostrils.

First sip: Caramel, vanilla, something medicinal at the end. Not much burn for 95 proof.

Second sip: If Wild Turkey ever makes a 101 Lite offering, this would be it.

Knee-jerk thoughts: It's not bad, just not worth the extra few dollars to me. Maybe it will grow on my in successive tries, but it's not doing it for me tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread