What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

Saw a couple of reviews for C923 and all are really good. I can get as many B523 for $80 I want and we have tons of private barrel picks all over the state - most are 80 or 90.
At least in my area, I don't see as many private barrel picks as I do the standard "batch" barrel proofs. But I was on the hunt for the C923 for at least a month before I found a place that had some. Many stores have a backlog supply of ECBP but the latest releases are more unicorn-ish. I spoke with a store manager a couple weeks ago about my search for the C923. He had no idea that there was a difference in batches and that they were labeled as such. His supply was all from '22 and he was perplexed when I didn't want one of those.

Not that it was asked...but my favorite ECBP batches are C919, B520, and now C923 (which just might be the best I've had so far). I had been mildly disappointed in the Covid Era releases. That being said, Heaven Hill still puts out a quality product 3 times a year and I realize that I am being somewhat nitpicky about it.

It’s always interesting when you know more about the product than the store owner.

I have C919, B520, C920, A121. B520 and C920 are both fantastic. Definitely planning on getting C923 once I see it.

What would you Elijah Craig guys say is/are the biggest difference(s) between the barrel proofs and the small batch?

I celebrate almost all of Heaven Hill's basic line, including Mellow Corn, have had the small batch a couple of times and liked it. I try to splurge only once a year so I'm interested in how they compare. TIA.

@Joe Bryant posted this last year and I got a text for this year

Our Special 2023 raffle is LIVE. Tickets: $20.23

The most prizes with the lowest raffle ticket cost. Our Special Year End 2023 Bourbon to Build Raffle has 23 prizes including Pappy, Blanton's, Weller, and more.

Check it out for this unique way to support our work in South Central Kentucky.

Visit our site for more information or for ticket(s).

https://habitatbg.org/bourbon-to-build-special-2023-access-page.html Reply STOP to opt-out

What would you Elijah Craig guys say is/are the biggest difference(s) between the barrel proofs and the small batch?

I celebrate almost all of Heaven Hill's basic line, including Mellow Corn, have had the small batch a couple of times and liked it. I try to splurge only once a year so I'm interested in how they compare. TIA.
Sarcasm not intended at all: But it is the proof that probably makes the biggest difference and the age of the barrels used. Small batch is proofed-down to 94 and pulls from barrels 8 to 12 years. Which that in and of itself, is pretty good considering the price value. Until this release year, barrel proof was age stated as 12 years - so no barrels under the age of 12 could be used in the batch. The barrel proof is much tastier in my opinion. Certainly the cost difference is a consideration. But I am okay to pay in the $70s for the difference.

Sarcasm not intended at all: But it is the proof that probably makes the biggest difference and the age of the barrels used. Small batch is proofed-down to 94 and pulls from barrels 8 to 12 years. Which that in and of itself, is pretty good considering the price value. Until this release year, barrel proof was age stated as 12 years - so no barrels under the age of 12 could be used in the batch. The barrel proof is much tastier in my opinion. Certainly the cost difference is a consideration. But I am okay to pay in the $70s for the difference.
I didn't realize the Small Batch was blended from 8-12 year old barrels. I've been hesitating to get the 1.75L handle, but I won't any more. ~$70 isn't bad for something I'd buy myself for my birthday. Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

I just like to mix bourbon with other stuff like coke, dr. pepper, ale-8-one. I realized I've been doing this with pricier stuff like Woodford & Maker's the whole time. I got this big cheap bottle of Very Old Barton for $9 at Total Wine and it tastes good too.

I don't really drink bourbon for the taste itself, other than the occasional old fashioned, so I've been wasting money on this stuff for no reason really.

So I'm just getting into Bourbon. I've had a couple of drinks, but none where I've said - "I need to have that in the house!"

Any suggestions on a couple non-pricey ones to start with (less than $30)? Family has approached me asking for gift ideas, and I thought I might throw one or two out out there to see what I can get over the holidays.

So I'm just getting into Bourbon. I've had a couple of drinks, but none where I've said - "I need to have that in the house!"

Any suggestions on a couple non-pricey ones to start with (less than $30)? Family has approached me asking for gift ideas, and I thought I might throw one or two out out there to see what I can get over the holidays.
Sub $30...I'd say Buffalo Trace, which is difficult to find in some areas. Evan Williams Bottle in Bond (white label) and Wild Turkey 101 are solid and easy to find.

If you like Crown Royal (a blended Canadian whiskey) try Knob Creek, it tastes similar to me.

Sub $30...I'd say Buffalo Trace, which is difficult to find in some areas. Evan Williams Bottle in Bond (white label) and Wild Turkey 101 are solid and easy to find.
Agreed on Wild Turkey 101, Id add Woodford Reserve as well

Ran into the owner of my local store over Thanksgiving break who never seems to be there when I go in. Complimented him on two recent store picks (Elijah Craig and Clyde Mays Single Barrels) and we got to chatting and he started pulling bottles out of the back room. Nothing too crazy, but I scored an Eagle Rare 10, Weller Special Reserve, and McKenna 10 all near MSRP. Anything from the BT distillery is hard as heck to find here, even BT itself you need an employee that will hold it for you because it never makes it to the shelves.

Had to turn down the $140 Blanton's and $150 EHT Small Batch he offered, but nice to know they're actually out in the wild somewhere.

I'll add Old Forester 100 to the list.

Made the right call on the turn downs, thats quite a mark up.
Indeed. I picked up a Blantons for $70 about a month ago. It was an allocated drop and I got there about 90 minutes in so I was surprised it was still there.
I've tried Blanton's but it's been a pour here and there at a bar, never owned a bottle of it. I think $75 is probably my limit, just based on how hard it is to find, it's usual markup, etc. I know that's more than "what it's really worth" but I've justified $75 in my head and I'd be ok paying that. Problem is, I can never find it for less than $120.

Stumbled into a shop yesterday while driving home from a different part of the state, and found 4 bottles of Bookers behind the counter that the guy said were $110 each. Seems like I probably should have picked one of those up, but I know very little to nothing about Bookers.

I was lucky to get a bottle of Blanton's at MSRP, the bottle is cool and all, but the whiskey is not worth MSRP in my mind. I recently was able to try Blantons SFTB, and that was amazing...I'd go over MSRP for that.

Had to turn down the $140 Blanton's and $150 EHT Small Batch he offered, but nice to know they're actually out in the wild somewhere.
140 Blanton's - pretty typical for the past couple of years (not worth it)
150 EHT Small Batch - wow!! I love EHT brand but that is a ridiculous price for small batch. I feel $70 is too excessive but that's about where I draw the line.

Good call on passing on those!! Stay tight and friendly with the store owner though!

Made the right call on the turn downs, thats quite a mark up.
Indeed. I picked up a Blantons for $70 about a month ago. It was an allocated drop and I got there about 90 minutes in so I was surprised it was still there.
I've tried Blanton's but it's been a pour here and there at a bar, never owned a bottle of it. I think $75 is probably my limit, just based on how hard it is to find, it's usual markup, etc. I know that's more than "what it's really worth" but I've justified $75 in my head and I'd be ok paying that. Problem is, I can never find it for less than $120.

Stumbled into a shop yesterday while driving home from a different part of the state, and found 4 bottles of Bookers behind the counter that the guy said were $110 each. Seems like I probably should have picked one of those up, but I know very little to nothing about Bookers.

Sometimes Bookers are good, but they seem to vary on releases. I think the MSRP on Bookers is between 80-90 so that price wasn't too far off. Whether or not you think it's worth it is the consumer choice mark point. Personally I wish they were MSRP'd down closer to 70 and then of course not marked up. I generally enjoy Booker's offerings...just not the value/cost.

I've recently discovered a love for Bulleit.

What are some good Canadian options whilst in the great white north?

Hey Bourbon guys, looking for some help. A buddy of mine did me a big favor this year and him and his wife are bourbon fans. I'd like to get them a holiday gift of a nice bottle or bottles that's more of a splurge that they probably wouldn't get for themselves.

Bottles that I made a note of that I think he mentioned liking in the past were Elmer T Lee & Heaven Hill... I think maybe also Weller 12 and Kentucky Owl? Doesn't have to be those, just giving as an example of his / their taste.

What would you recommend as a nice gift in the $500-$1000 range?

Just to add a degree of difficulty, I'm in PA and we still have some dumb alcohol laws. I'll probably have to go out of state (NJ, DE, NY, MD, etc) or order online.

TIA!

Last edited:
Hey Bourbon guys, looking for some help. A buddy of mine did me a big favor this year and him and his wife are bourbon fans.
I'd like to get them a holiday gift of a nice bottle or bottles that's more of a splurge that they probably wouldn't get for themselves.
Bottles that I made a note of that I think he mentioned liking in the past were Elmer T Lee & Heaven Hill.
What would you recommend as a nice gift in the $500-$1000 range? TIA!

If you are spending that much I’d check out the BTAC lineup as you can get one of them in that range - assuming you can find it. Highly sought after and well thought of. I think the William L. Weller is considered the best of the 5 - the other bourbons in the lineup are George T. Stagg and Eagle Rare 17. Probably couldn’t go wrong with any of those. Now, here’s the thing - they are $125 MSRP but you’ll have to pay in your range for them since you aren’t a bourbon guy so I assume you don’t have a liquor store contact or made a good relationship with an owner.

Beyond that you may be looking at special releases versus a yearly release.

If you are planning to spend that much I would find - reputable liquor store in your area and talk to the owner about it - but since you don’t know your stuff maybe check back here before spending secondary prices money on it. Good luck.

Ended up going to my normal store today to buy a few bottles of whiskey for some customers as Christmas gifts. Picked up a Bookers (2023-03 batch), an EC Toasted, a Macallan 12 Sherry Cask, and Old Elk store pick, and their most recent Four Roses store pick (OBSQ) that just came in this week, and pulled the trigger on a Booker's for myself as well after reading up on it the last couple days.

AND AND AND

Since I bought all this and I've been talking shop with the owner now twice in 3 weeks, he offered me a discount from $140 down to $90 on his Blanton's store pick. I know, I know, still too pricey, but I felt like I shouldn't pass down the gesture, it gets me my first Blanton's bottle ever, and I'm ingratiated a little more with the owner by walking out with 3 of his picks at once (and I've tried and enjoyed 3 previously, which I've told him).

He also pulled out a case of Blood Oath Pact #7 but they were $300 each so definitely out of my price range (and finished in wine casks which isn't my cup of tea), but cool to see in the wild as I've never seen one in person before. Nice wooden slider box/case - would make a cool gift but I don't like these customers that much haha

Hey Bourbon guys, looking for some help. A buddy of mine did me a big favor this year and him and his wife are bourbon fans.
I'd like to get them a holiday gift of a nice bottle or bottles that's more of a splurge that they probably wouldn't get for themselves.
Bottles that I made a note of that I think he mentioned liking in the past were Elmer T Lee & Heaven Hill.

If you are spending that much I’d check out the BTAC lineup as you can get one of them in that range - assuming you can find it. Highly sought after and well thought of. I think the William L. Weller is considered the best of the 5 - the other bourbons in the lineup are George T. Stagg and Eagle Rare 17. Probably couldn’t go wrong with any of those. Now, here’s the thing - they are $125 MSRP but you’ll have to pay in your range for them since you aren’t a bourbon guy so I assume you don’t have a liquor store contact or made a good relationship with an owner.

If you are planning to spend that much I would find - reputable liquor store in your area and talk to the owner about it - but since you don’t know your stuff maybe check back here before spending secondary prices money on it. Good luck.
These are the pricier online selections at the "local" aka "closest outside of PA" place that the local bourbon guys like... Bourbon Street
Rare Hare 1953
750 ML (Standard)
$599.99

E H Taylor Barrel Proof
750 ML (Standard)
$499.99

Barrell Bourbon Gold Label
750 ML (Standard)
$499.99

This is the "local" aka "closest outside of PA" place that the local bourbon guys like... Bourbon Street

1,000 bottles of 50ml fireball. WALA.

These are the pricier online selections at the "local" aka "closest outside of PA" place that the local bourbon guys like... Bourbon Street
Rare Hare 1953
750 ML (Standard)
$599.99

E H Taylor Barrel Proof
750 ML (Standard)
$499.99

750 ML (Standard)
$499.99

$500 for EHT BP. Run away from this store.

Rare Hare 1953
750 ML (Standard)
$599.99

E H Taylor Barrel Proof
750 ML (Standard)
$499.99

750 ML (Standard)
$499.99

Open to better options... that aren't Fireball.

Rare Hare 1953
750 ML (Standard)
$599.99

E H Taylor Barrel Proof
750 ML (Standard)
$499.99

750 ML (Standard)
$499.99

The problem with the range you are looking to spend is 1. There’s not a lot of bottles that are MSRP in this range. 2. Finding anything in a reputable store in that range probably means you need to know them already - because any bottle in that range is not going to go to some guy walking in off the street unless you just get lucky.

Take that bottle I mentioned - EH Taylor Barred Proof - it’s impossible to find. I think it’s MSRP of around $100. But you will see it on the shelf - if at all- for $250-$500. If you are willing to pay that then that’s a really good bottle of bourbon, that any bourbon fan would be happy to own. But just know you are way overpaying.

You may not care about that and just want to get a nice bottle without much hassle. That one fits the bill actually. It’s just not worth $500.

That’s why I mentioned BTAC. It’s similarly not worth it but have the wow factor for the gift you are wanting to give and it’s possible to find a bottle for $800-$1000. But again, you would be way overpaying - but it’s what the secondary markets demands because people with Chet money will pay it.

Rare Hare 1953
750 ML (Standard)
$599.99

E H Taylor Barrel Proof
750 ML (Standard)
$499.99

750 ML (Standard)
$499.99

The problem with the range you are looking to spend is 1. There’s not a lot of bottles that are MSRP in this range. 2. Finding anything in a reputable store in that range probably means you need to know them already - because any bottle in that range is not going to go to some guy walking in off the street unless you just get lucky.

Take that bottle I mentioned - EH Taylor Barred Proof - it’s impossible to find. I think it’s MSRP of around $100. But you will see it on the shelf - if at all- for $250-$500. If you are willing to pay that then that’s a really good bottle of bourbon, that any bourbon fan would be happy to own. But just know you are way overpaying.

You may not care about that and just want to get a nice bottle without much hassle. That one fits the bill actually. It’s just not worth $500.

That’s why I mentioned BTAC. It’s similarly not worth it but have the wow factor for the gift you are wanting to give and it’s possible to find a bottle for $800-$1000. But again, you would be way overpaying - but it’s what the secondary markets demands because people with Chet money will pay it.
Thanks, I know I'm not getting anything at retail. Willing to pay market, would just rather not get ripped off. Doesn't need to be a single bottle, just looking to put together a gift that he would like and would maybe be a bit of a splurge or a chance to try something new instead of his regular rotation at home.

Rare Hare 1953
750 ML (Standard)
$599.99

E H Taylor Barrel Proof
750 ML (Standard)
$499.99

750 ML (Standard)
$499.99

Is this the same thing? Is "Jr" different?...
Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Single Barrel Bourbon

No - EH Taylor has, from least expensive to most:

Small Batch, Single Barrel (that one), Barrel Proof and then a ton of expressions that most are above your range that you’ll never see.

The first two in that list aren’t really what you are looking for even if every bourbon lover would be happy to own them. I would not pay $200 for a EH Taylor Single Barrel and give it as a gift - way too much for not a fantastic bottle and doesn’t have quite the panache that the barrel proof bottle does.

You could really get down a rabbit hole with this. Another suggestion is to ask the person what distillery they like (assuming this isn’t some big surprise). Almost every distillery (and definitely the big boys) will have a special release or allocated bourbon close to your range that will fit the bill.

Also, you don’t happen to live near KY do you? I’m thinking you are PA, no? If you could get to the distillery you could find a bottle or two that might be more special because of limited releases.

Also, you don’t happen to live near KY do you? I’m thinking you are PA, no? If you could get to the distillery you could find a bottle or two that might be more special because of limited releases.
Unfortunately in this case PA, instead of the land of bourbon, I'm in the land of blue laws.

Unfortunately in this case PA, instead of the land of bourbon, I'm in the land of blue laws.
If you’re on Facebook see if there any bourbon groups in your area you can join.
I’m in several and most of them are moving bottles for a little over MSRP or they are doing raffles.

@Lehigh98 for example there is a ‘23 ETL asking $230 tonight.
I think it’s awesome you’re looking to repay a forward and hope you can find some nice bottles.

@Lehigh98 , you've gotten some good advice, so now I'm going to offer mine.

Don't get hung up on a dollar amount. Knowing what they like is a great start and perhaps instead of trying to wow them with cost, impress them with your attention to detail, i.e., taking notice of what they like.

Of the brands you mention they like, their 7-year Bottled-in-Bond got good reviews this year, as well as one of its sister labels, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C923. They won't cost what you're willing to spend, but they don't have to.

Also, of the brands listed here, I don't know anything about the Rare Hare, but the E.H. Taylor is a solid choice since you're willing to splurge, and I've heard good things about Barrell Bourbon in general, so that's probably a worthy choice as well.

Whatever you choose, let us know.

Just wanted the world to know a couple of things:

1. Going on a tour of the Sagamore Spirit distillery tomorrow as an early birthday present. Looking forward to hopefully getting to try the double oaked.
2. I think my 'best' bourbon quest has ended with Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Just picked up my first bottle as another early birthday present, and it's everything I think I've been looking for in a bourbon.

Going on a tour of the Sagamore Spirit distillery tomorrow as an early birthday present. Looking forward to hopefully getting to try the double oaked.
Went with my wife, daughter, one of my sons and his gf. We were the first tour group of the day (noon). The guide was entertaining and informative, we got to see the whiskey in all its stages from grain to glass with some history thrown in (rye whiskey was a thing before bourbon, for example), but the highlight for me was the tasting at the end. They had their 'core' collection (the basic rye at 83 proof, the cask strength at 112.2 proof, the double-oaked at 96.6 proof) as well as an exclusive to the distillery (only on sale at the gift shop) Doppelbock, 5-year-old rye aged another 1.5 years in German-style doppelbock beer casks (link provided for the curious who are willing to spend $79+ s&h). My honest opinion of it is that it's tasty and like all the Sagamore products I've tried, it doesn't have the typical baking spice-style bite normally associated with rye, meaning it drinks lower than its actual proof of 94. My caveat is that I'm very judicious about how much I spend on whiskey and as much as I would like to have a bottle, ~$80 is a little too much for my budget. They also had a sample of a ginger-rye canned cocktail they make that makes a fine Moscow Mule, a favorite of my wife's.

As for the tasting itself, even though no one knew each other (besides the people they came with, that is), we all pretty much split along the same lines: those of us that liked whiskey (my wife and son were already on record as not liking whiskey and were only there to humor me, my daughter forgot her ID and couldn't drink, and I didn't know my son's gf's preferences) mostly chose the double oaked as our favorite, a fairly even split between the cask strength and the doppelbock as 2nd and 3rd place, and the basic offering as the least favorite. Since my wife barely touched the whiskeys in the flight, she traded her double-oaked to me for my sample of the canned cocktail.

Overall, I have nothing negative to share about my experience. It was my first distillery tour, so I have nothing to compare it to. That said, I think they're doing things right at Sagamore; 2 of their 3 core offerings are worthy additions to any whiskey collection, they are fully engaged with the local farming community as well and are committed to being a sustainable grain-to-glass operation. Even though $50 for whiskey makes me pause, I think the double-oaked is absolutely worth it, and I can get it at my local Total Wine for $54 ($11 less than the price at the distillery, wtf) and will look for any opportunity to splurge in the name of supporting local business.

Last edited:
Anybody been to the Jack Daniel's distillery for a tour/tasting? Looking at a short trip to Chattanooga between Christmas and New Years just to get away and see the mountains a bit, and it looks like less than 2 hrs drive to the distillery. Mainly curious to see whats available during the tastings and if they have any good bottles available in their gift shop - is JDSBBP the best I'd be able to snag? Wouldn't mind picking up a JD 10 or 12 yr if they sell at/near MSRP

Anybody been to the Jack Daniel's distillery for a tour/tasting? Looking at a short trip to Chattanooga between Christmas and New Years just to get away and see the mountains a bit, and it looks like less than 2 hrs drive to the distillery. Mainly curious to see whats available during the tastings and if they have any good bottles available in their gift shop - is JDSBBP the best I'd be able to snag? Wouldn't mind picking up a JD 10 or 12 yr if they sell at/near MSRP
Interesting - that I was considering doing this very thing for the same reasons. I have yet to even see a JD 10 or 12 year in Michigan. I am seeing on occasion the JDSBBP though.

Interesting - that I was considering doing this very thing for the same reasons. I have yet to even see a JD 10 or 12 year in Michigan. I am seeing on occasion the JDSBBP though.

I've seen the JDSBBP on shelves more and more lately, more so the rye than the whiskey, but beyond that the 10 and 12 yr bottles are one's I'll likely never own.

JD10 - MSRP ~$70, around me it's ~$300
JD12 - MSRP ~$80, around me it's ~$400

I won the lottery for Stagg Straight Bourbon Barrel Proof. Hope it's good.
You'll be very happy with it.

I was a little worried about the 132 proof. I had a barrel proof Bookers a few years ago and it was absolutely disgusting to me for some reason. I had a real aversion to it.

But this Stagg is fantastic. Sweet, but not overly. It is almost like a spicy cherry, and then you get a strong bite of almost cinnamon on the tongue that really lingers on the finish. Enjoyed it more each sip.

Here is a list of Ohio's winter bottle lottery if anyone is interested.
  • George T. Stagg (750 ML) - $124.99
  • Thomas H. Handy (750 ML) - $124.99
  • William Larue Weller (750 ML) - $124.99
  • Eagle Rare 17 Year-old (750 ML) - $124.99
  • Sazerac Rye 18 Year-old (750 ML) - $124.99
  • Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year (750 ML) - $99.99
  • Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year (750 ML) - $110
  • Pappy Van Winkles Family Reserve 15 Year (750 ML) - $170
  • Pappy Van Winkles Family Reserve 20 Year (750 ML) - $279.99
  • Pappy Van Winkles Family Reserve 23 Year (750 ML) - $399.99
  • Double Eagle Very Rare (750 ML) - $2000
  • Daniel Weller (750 ML) - $499.99

What’s this now?

What’s this now?
Ohio does a lottery for residents for special bottles. You win the ability to purchase 1 bottle. You can choose which bottles you want to try and win, but you can only win 1.

What’s this now?
Ohio does a lottery for residents for special bottles. You win the ability to purchase 1 bottle. You can choose which bottles you want to try and win, but you can only win 1.

That's how I got the Stagg -- entered for like 20 different bottles. Do it every year for like last 10 years, and this was my first win. Pennsylvania here.

Are you offering to enter and sell at MSRP to one of us if you win?

Users who are viewing this thread