What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boy CNN tried to make the Atlanta shootings all about race (2 Viewers)

Dude, it's just like the drug trade.  The cartel's don't get busted.  The middle level dealers do.
Could be....I just think the actually ones trafficked are much younger.  Maybe these were trafficked years ago and now are put out to pasture in the massage parlor business.  

Could be....I just think the actually ones trafficked are much younger.  Maybe these were trafficked years ago and now are put out to pasture in the massage parlor business.  
I'm not talking about the specific spas involved in this Atlanta incident.  The post you responded to was talking about the Asian massage parlors in general, and I know they're a hotbed for trafficking and prostitution.  I'm just speaking in general terms.  There may be legit ones out there but there are a lot of fronts as well. 

Eight weeks after eight people were killed at three metro Atlanta spas, grand juries in both Fulton and Cherokee counties indicted the alleged gunman Tuesday, the district attorney’s offices said. Fulton prosecutors also plan to seek the death penalty and pursue hate crime charges, according to court filings.
Link

Guess the people who said there was no evidence it was a hate crime were wrong.

Link

Guess the people who said there was no evidence it was a hate crime were wrong.
That's all it takes to prove it was a hate crime?  Hell, I would have bet the family farm that the screaming liberal Fani Willis would "seek" hate crime charges.  There was no doubt about that.  lolz, you're not having a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all it take to prove it was a hate crime?  Hell, I would have bet the family farm the screaming liberal Fani Willis would "seek" hate crime charges.  There was no doubt about that.  lolz, you're not having a good day.
No :lmao:  ? You okay?

ETA: Missed the "lolz" Phew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, evidence.  As a prosecutor you are required to present evidence at a hearing in order to pursue a charge.   The fact that the prosecutor is charging him with a hate crime means that the prosecutor believes he can meet the evidentiary burden at that hearing.  
I'd like to see what this "evidence" is.  Some guy in a crowd who said, "Hey, that's racist"?

Yes, evidence.  As a prosecutor you are required to present evidence at a hearing in order to pursue a charge.   The fact that the prosecutor is charging him with a hate crime means that the prosecutor believes he can meet the evidentiary burden at that hearing.  
The prosecutor isnt charging him with a hate crime. There is no such thing in GA. 

It is a sentencing enhancement. 

djmich said:
He's white.  Not all of the victims were white.  Case closed duh 
I recall reading that the shooter saying he has a sex addiction and that he was trying to eliminate temptations

Hate Crime: At the federal level, a crime motivated by bias against race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or disability.

-fish- said:
georgia adopted a hate crime law last year.  its a separate charge
I am aware it was adopted last year. I believe it is house bill 426. This has a link to it. 

If I am reading that correctly it is a sentencing enhancement. First the person needs to be found guilty of the crime. Then it is decided if the motivation for the crime was one of the listed biases. Then if that is the case the judge adds on to the sentence. 

The prosecutor doesn't make a charge(even though that is how several articles have referred to it but some have called it a sentencing enhancement) and as far as I can tell and would only present something regarding a hate crime if he is found guilty of the underlying crime. At that point we would see if she has evidence showing motivation. 

She does not have to present any evidence until that time. There is no grand jury or an indictment even.

I fully realize i might be misunderstanding what I am reading there(i had to read it a couple times and I did not look up the notice section it mentioned) and am open to hearing where i goofed it up. 

I am aware it was adopted last year. I believe it is house bill 426. This has a link to it. 

If I am reading that correctly it is a sentencing enhancement. First the person needs to be found guilty of the crime. Then it is decided if the motivation for the crime was one of the listed biases. Then if that is the case the judge adds on to the sentence. 

The prosecutor doesn't make a charge(even though that is how several articles have referred to it but some have called it a sentencing enhancement) and as far as I can tell and would only present something regarding a hate crime if he is found guilty of the underlying crime. At that point we would see if she has evidence showing motivation. 

She does not have to present any evidence until that time. There is no grand jury or an indictment even.

I fully realize i might be misunderstanding what I am reading there(i had to read it a couple times and I did not look up the notice section it mentioned) and am open to hearing where i goofed it up. 
You're correct that it's a sentencing enhancement with a second trial phase.  There is a separate presentation of evidence, so I was mistaken as to the pre-trial evidentiary hearing.   Regardless of whether that comes before or after the main trial, the point is the same.   There is also the "Bias Crime Report" that establishes evidence of a hate crime that is submitted by the investigators that the prosecutor relies on to determine whether to make the charge.   So in response to the previous question, the answer remains yes, the charge is supported by evidence.

Is rape considered a hate crime?  If yes I can see a legitimate hate crime argument on those grounds, gender.  Think the race card is much murkier.

Is rape considered a hate crime?  If yes I can see a legitimate hate crime argument on those grounds, gender.  Think the race card is much murkier.
The crime itself isn't the driving factor.   The Georgia law states that the hate crime enhancement attaches if the trier of fact determines beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant "intentionally selected any victim or group of victims or any property as the object of the offense because of such victim's or group of victims' actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, mental disability, or physical disability."

Right, what I'm saying is that how can the crime of rape, which is based on sex, not therefore be a hate crime.  Or, how can the crime of killing someone because you don't want to have sex with them anymore, then not be a hate crime.

The crime itself isn't the driving factor.   The Georgia law states that the hate crime enhancement attaches if the trier of fact determines beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant "intentionally selected any victim or group of victims or any property as the object of the offense because of such victim's or group of victims' actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, mental disability, or physical disability."
Pretty sure all rape victims were intentionally selected because of their sex/gender.  If a person rapes a woman, it is because she is a woman.  

Right, what I'm saying is that how can the crime of rape, which is based on sex, not therefore be a hate crime.  Or, how can the crime of killing someone because you don't want to have sex with them anymore, then not be a hate crime.
If you target an individual because of who they are as an individual, you wouldn't meet the description as set forth in the law.   If you were a rapist that randomly targeted women, that may qualify.   

Users who are viewing this thread