What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bracie Smathers April 22nd and final mock of 2013 (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Final version with projected trades

1 Kansas City - OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M

Reasoning: Didn’t extend but only franchised OLT Brandon Albert so they have him for one year if they don’t wind up trading him. Take their franchise left tackle to protect the blind side for seeable future.

2 Jacksonville DT Sharriff Floyd Florida

"He's my favorite player that I've seen on tape," Greg Cosell said. "He's an explosive athlete playing defensive tackle. He has really light feet. He's so gifted physically that he can play anywhere on the line, and I think he will become, like J.J. Watt, a much better pass rusher in the NFL than he was in college football."

Mike Mayock, analyst for the NFL Network, has Floyd as the No. 2 player in the nation behind Fisher.

"His ability to get up the field and disrupt the pass game is unique for a defensive tackle, and if you can get a defensive tackle that can affect the pass game, you've got something special," Mayock said. "And he's stout enough to play the run."

OK, so why Floyd over a pass rushing DE? Here’s why. Three years ago the Jags finished 26th in the league in defense. One year later they finished 6th after drafting DT Tyson Alualu in the first round and pairing him with DT Terrance Knighton but last year both struggled and Knighton is in now in Denver so there is a hole at the DT position.

Add that at 297 lbs Sharriff ran a 4.9 forty and the best 10 yard split (1.70) of any defensive lineman so he has unique physical skills. He’s been my favorite player in this draft all along and the fact he’s from Florida certainly won’t hurt the Jags who have lots of empty seats to fill.

3 Oakland - DT Star Lotulelei, Utah

They really want to trade down and it could happen but the Raiders have a glaring need. They have already lost two defensive tackles in free agency, Desmond Bryant andTommy Kelly, one defensive end, Matt Shaughessy, and they haven’t re-signed DT Richard Seymour and their other starting DE, Lamar Houston, is in the last year of his contract. Addressing the defensive line is crucial so Lotulelei is one of the best player available and he fills a dire need.

4 Philadelphia - DE Dion Jordan, Oregon

"He's a physical freak, a specimen," said Eagles linebacker Casey Matthews, a former teammate at Oregon.

"I think is two years away from being an Aldon Smith-type player," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said, citing the 49ers' Pro Bowl pass rusher. "He's got frightening athletic skills, and he's a year away. He would be a situational pass rusher year one. And if he puts 20 pounds on, I think he's going to be a perennial all-pro. I really like the kid…”

Dion Jordan is a 3-4 OLB/DE not a 4-3 DE. This is the perfect fit for him. The Eagles signed Connor Barwin but Barwin isn’t a freak like Jordan is. They also have Trent Cole who would be making the transition from a 4-3 DE to a stand-up 3-4 OLB. Cole is 30 years old and coming off of surgery to address ‘multiple’ tendon tears in his hand. Kelly brought along many of his Oregon staff so they are intimately familiar with Jordan and how to use him so they can put him in sub packages until he’s ready to take over as a starter.

5 Detroit - OT Eric Fisher, Central Michegan

Lost OLT Backus to retirement and ORT Cherlus to free agency. They drafted Riley Rief in the first round last year but he didn’t step-up and isn’t a good fit for the blind-side. Fisher is a franchise left tackle. BPA meets dire need.

*TRADE*

6 Cleveland trades pick to San Diego - OT Lane Johnson

There is a drop off after the third OLT is off the board making Johnson likely to go next to Arizona prompting San Diego to make the move-up the board to nab him. Phil Rivers lacks mobility. He has missed having a solid pass protector manning his blind-side since Marcus McNeil was in his prime. It hasn’t been a shock that Phillip has struggled the last couple of years with poor blind side protection. He isn’t the same QB when pressure forces him out of the pocket. This single move could fix both the OLT and QB positions for San Diego who sends Cleveland their 2nd round pick #45 to Browns as compensation.

7 Arizona - OG Chance Warmack Alabama

The Cards offensive line (OLT Nate Potter, LG Darvn Colledge, C Scott Wedge, RG Adam Snyder, RT Bobby Massie) is the worst in the league. They ranked dead last rushing the football, top rusher ran for only 357 yards. They have a dire need which matches the BPA of the draft in Warmack. Durability (never missed a snap) and dependability (only missed 7 out of his 728 assignments - success rate 99%) Four year starter, simply a perfect player that fits dire need. With Geno Smith and the top-three OLTs off the board coach Arians could be tempted to over draft his QB but with Warmack there he has to take him.

8 Buffalo - QB Geno Smith West Virginia

This quarterback class is better than everybody thinks it is,” Nix said, via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News. “It’s better than the publicity they get.

“Five or six of those guys — maybe seven — do a lot of things good and do them good enough to win. This is not a standard answer. I’ve said this from the start, that two or three of these guys will be franchise quarterbacks. I believe that.”

Buffalo GM said last fall he was going to get a QB and in the off-season a private conversation he was having with a fellow GM was recorded where he said basically the same thing days before he cut his starting QB Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Geno Smith has all of the physical tools, nice, size, strong arm, decent overall accuracy, and he can run too.

Smith’s completion percentage has gone up steadily each year from 64.8 to 65.8 to 71.2 the last three years. His TD to INT ratio has increased each year from 24-7 to 31-7 to 42-6 which ties in well with his film-rat reputation. Then he smoked a 4.59 forty at the combine which really opened some eyes.

He has some issues but hat allows the Bills to land him at eight without having to pay to move-up to get their franchise QB.

9 NY Jets - OLB/DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, people around the NFL believe the Jets "would love" to draft LSU DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo with the No. 9 pick.

Schefter's report aligns with a recent one from SI's Peter King, who wrote Monday morning that Jets coach Rex Ryan is "awfully smitten" with Mingo. Mingo would give New York the explosive outside rusher Ryan has lacked throughout his head-coaching tenure. The Jets need players who can sack QBs and score TDs.

Schefter reported the Jets like Mingo and Adam is one guy I have learned to pay attention to for anything draft related. His report came out prior to the Revis deal so they could switch to Milliner but last year they ranked 2nd in the league in pass defense without Revis so Rex Ryan knows he has DBs to run his scheme. Rex hasn’t had a pass rusher like Mingo so I believe they would take the pass rusher over the cornerback.

10 Tennessee - OLB/DE Ziggy Ansah, BYU

The Titans gave up a club record 471 points last year. One of the weaker spots was the D-Line and in particular was undersized (245lbs) DE Kamerion Wimbley. Ansah is much bigger and has loads of upside. Interesting, the one area that the Titans didn‘t address in free agency was their pass rush. .Ziggy has size, speed, and dominated the Senior Bowl against top notch competition. He might be the best 4-3 DE of this draft class.

*TRADE*

11 San Diego Trades pick to ClevelandCB Dee Milliner. Alabama

Milliner’s stock has taken a small tumble as he did get called back to Indy to address medical issues with his injured shoulder. Milliner won’t be available up until training camp and even may miss some camp. Cleveland would probably prefer one of the pass rushers over Milliner but will need to address corner at some point so with Milliner dropping it fits need. If Mingo or Ansah were to fall they would likely be the pick but I’m not sure they would pull the trigger on Jarvis Jones here but that is also a high probability.

12 Miami - OT D.J Flucker, Alabama

A few weeks back Fluker was overweight and would never have been a consideration for the first round but the kid has worked his butt off, literally. He’s lost over twenty pounds. That proves the Flucker will work and that is an indication he can make it in the NFL. He is physically gifted with the longest reach of the OTs in this draft. The Phins may not be able to pull of the trade move up for one of the OLTs that they like or get OT Brandon Albert by draft day so that may force this selection. Miami knows that they can’t go into the season with Jonathan Martin as the only blind side option to protect Ryan Tannenhill. The loss of Jake Long created a hole. Early indications pointed to them moving-up for an OT but reportedly they are not sold on Lane Johnson and it would cost too much to move up for either Joeckel or Fisher so they might be forced to stay put and reach for Flucker.

*TRADE*

*13 New York Jets (originally from Tampa Bay) trade pick to Atlanta Falcons - CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State

Falcons’ Dimitroff: If there’s a player I like, I’ll trade up and get him

Falcons General Manager Thomas Dimitroff is not going to come right out and confirm the reports that

he’s trying to trade up in the first round of the draft, because general managers never come right out and say what their draft plans are. But Dimitroff isn’t exactly hiding his interest in a trade, either.

“If you feel that you want to package picks to go up and get the player that you feel can help the team, well, then you use your draft picks as fodder to go after that player,” Dimitroff said, via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Dimitroff isn’t naming any names of specific players he wants, but he is openly discussing the possibility of a trade.

“We’ve been open about it,” Dimitroff said, via ESPN.com. “I think it’s very clear we’re open for big deals if they come across our table and we’re interested.”

There’s been speculation that the Falcons are looking for an offensive playmaker, a cornerback or help on the defensive line. Whatever Dimitroff wants, if there’s a player he wants badly enough, he’ll go get him.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently suggested that the Falcons might try to trade up for a cornerback like Alabama’s Dee Milliner, Florida State’s Xavier Rhodes

Their has been a lot of talk about the Falcons moving up and I think Rhodes will slip into their range and Demitroff will make a deal. The Jets are reportedly interested in moving down with one of their picks and I would surmise it would be to get a QB later in the first round.

14 Carolina - DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri

He could be a dominant player as a 3-technique in the 4-3 scheme.

This has been mocked many times and makes a lot of sense to solidify the interior of the Panthers D-Line to help protect the investment made at the linebacker position.

15 New Orleans - OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia

After extensive tape study, NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones is the most NFL-ready pass rusher in the draft.

He compares Jones to Terrell Suggs. Cosell acknowledges Jones isn't as "purely athletic" as Dion Jordan or Barkevious Mingo, but believes Jones is ready to be an impact pass rusher from day one. We tentatively expect Jones to be drafted in the teens, but it wouldn't be surprising if he cracked the top ten.

He relies more on his explosive hands and savvy than pure athleticism or burst.

Jarvis Jones was the highest ranked player on Kiper’s board in early January and nothing has changed how he played the game to put him there. A spinal condition is a concern as is a slow forty but this guy can play. Rob Ryan lucks out.

16 St. Louis - WR Tavon Austin

I took a long look at every catch made by the Rams two rookies last year and I was under whelmed. St. Louis lost WR Danny Amendola and those second year guys don’t look like can do the job let alone do what Austin can do. I would like have taken Jonathan Cooper here but I feel the hole at WR trumps O-Line. According to Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, the Rams are "likely" to draft either Tavon Austin or DeAndre Hopkins with the No. 16 overall pick.

17 Pittsburgh - S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

Top ranked safety fits what the Steelers have done in the draft recently and historically. Troy-P won’t ever be replicated but he has to be replaced at some point. In the meantime the Steelers can use Vaccaro in a number of ways. BPA and meets a need.

18 Dallas - OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina

. I thought this one over for a long time and it seems Jerry Jones like name players with his top pick. The interior of the Dallas O-line needs help and they are still looking at Eric Winston to help boost their RT position so adding two guys to the line could make provide impact. Jerry likes name players. Cooper has that sort of first round name cache to be a first round pick at a position that rarely has that sort of buzz especially when using a first round pick.

19 NY Giants - DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State

The Giants have only drafted three DEs in the last six years. Outside of taking JPP in the first round in 2010 the only other DEs taken were forgettable names drafted in the sixth (Adrian Tracy 2010) and seventh rounds (Robert Henderson 2008). When the Giants won the Super Bowl two years ago they rang up 48 sacks. Last year that number plunged to 33. The G-Men have let this area slide. Werner is the second highest ranked DE on many boards and fills a need.

20 Chicago - TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame

Despite the addition of Marcellus Bennett via free agency, the Bears would benefit from a young, versatile, pass-catching tight end. Marc Trestman has acquired a reputation as an offensive innovator. In the recent off season program WR Brandon Marshall was going over the playbook and simulating formations with free agent TE Martellus Bennett so that gives a clue that the TE will be utilized by this offense and Eifert could turn into a weapon in the hands of someone like Trestman.

21 Cincinnati - WR Cordarrelle Paterson, Tennessee

Bengals HC Marvin Lewis has coached the Bengals to two-consecutive playoff games but Nati hasn’t won a post season contest in 22 years. The Bengals set a club record with an amazing 51 sacks last year, they’ve got a stud #1 WR, they’ve built up their O-Line, they’ve found a QB, and even picked up a thousand yard RB in last year’s free agency period. Defensively their loaded in the front seven and the injured corner taken with their top pick last year should be back healthy so its like getting a bonus first round pick this year. The Bengals have talent but haven’t broken through. Its frustrating to Marvin Lewis. “We’ve got to find a way to push over the hump.” The only weak area I can spy is at wide receiver. They like Sanu but they need to exploit having AJ Green taking coverage to his side of the field. Dalton doesn’t have a rocket arm but he can get it to AJ Green so he should be able to find Cordarrelle who could be the missing piece that will push Cincinnati over the hump.

22 St. Louis (from Washington) - OT Justin Pugh, Syracuse

The Rams addressed WR with their top pick and have added OT Jake Long in free agency but wisely move to fill a add more talent to their offensive line.

23 Minnesota - LB Manti Te’o

Manti will be a solid MLB. I like his coverage abilities in the middle of the field so I think he’s more than only a two-down backer. Best player at his position and fits need.

Lions GM Martin Mayhew says he "couldn't find anybody to say anything negative about" Manti Te'o when he visited Notre Dame.

"Just a great leader in their program and a great football player for them over the years," Mayhew said. "They have so much respect for him, and I do too after meeting with him. He's just a great young man." Mayhew also insisted Te'o is "very smart" despite his infamous internet duping. Whereas the Lennay Kekua hoax once appeared destined to define Te'o's draft stock, it's now little more than an absurd footnote.

The Vikings lost middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley in free agency. They’ve yet to replace him. And they realize they need to.

“We know we have to get one. That’s no secret,” linebackers coach Mike Singletary said Sunday, via Ben Goessling of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “When we do, we just have to teach him as much as we can, as fast as we can. It’s going to be a lot of work.”

24 Indianapolis - CB D.J. Hayden, Houston

Colts reportedly were/are interested in Pugh but he went a few picks earlier so they address a need at cornerback.

After acquiring Davis last year, the Colts have used the fringes of free agency to check off boxes. They signed Greg Toler during their first-day drunken-sailor act, and he’s been good when he’s been well. But he’s not so good that they can ignore this position.

Hayden wasn’t even a consideration a few weeks ago but he is getting a clean bill of health after nearly dying on the practice field last November. The Colts can use help in the secondary and if the reports of Hayden rising up draft boards are true then he’s likely on the Colts radar.

25 Minnesota Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina.
Kevin Williams is wearing down and needs to eventually get replaced and Sly's name keep getting slotted here. Great size but lacking production.

26 Green Bay - DE Margus Hunt, SMU

"They need another big body on both sides of the line," another personnel man said, referring to the Packers. "I think they're on life support now up front (on defense). If I'm prioritizing this, I'm looking at both lines."

Talk about a big body, Hunt possesses an incredible combination of size, length, and speed. At 6’8 he blocked 17 kicks, two shy of the all-time NCAA record. He accumulated 31 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, eight sacks, and one interception on his way to earning first team All-Conference USA honors. He has displayed impressive progression through his career and figures to be heavily coveted by 3-4 teams to play defensive end.

Probably the most intriguing player in the draft.

27 Houston - WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee

Andre Johnson isn’t getting any younger and the Texans let go of WR Kevin Walter. They have the defensive MVP and have added Ed Reed to further strengthen their D. They need to address the wide receiver position. Andre Johnson said he wants to play five more seasons in the NFL.

Johnson turns 32 in July.

Z-Report Says:

The Texans are fairly particular about the type of WRs they will draft this early which means they will likely pay attention to size, speed, ability to grasp the offense quickly and willingness to block. Justin Hunter has #1 WR size, speed and athletic traits, but drops were a major issue for him at Tennessee.

I think Houston will take a shot and Hunter appears to be worthy of the selection.

28 Denver - Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M.
With Elvis Dumervil possibly gone they would need a pass rusher. Von Miller has been coaching up Moore through the draft proccess so I'm sure he has mentioned Damontre a few times to the Broncos.

Last year, Moore was one of the most dominant defensive players in college football. As a 20-year-old junior, he totaled 12.5 sacks - one of the larger totals in the country. Perhaps even more impressive than that, Moore led his team with 85 tackles - four more than the next closest defender. He had 21 tackles for a loss, two passes broken up, a blocked kick and a forced fumble. Moore also played through an ankle injury during the season.
While Moore (6-4, 250) was playing well on the field, he was creating a bad reputation for himself off of it. In June of 2011, Moore was arrested and accused of possessing less than two ounces of marijuana. Aside from the public incidents, Moore became known for not being a hard worker and a guy that looks to party. A guy with his talent would never fall this far without concerns of some sort so if the Broncos green light Moore then I think he’ll be the pick.

*TRADE*

29 New England Trades to Jacksonville - QB EJ Manuel, Florida State
Manuel’s stock has risen to the point that he has been invited to New York City to attend the draft. Someone is likely to move-up. Minnesota addressed one need and can probably move-down to fill their other top needs and pick up an extra pick next year. I think Jacksonville won’t wait any longer so they make a deal and it happens here. Jacksonville is having trouble filling empty seats. They need a dynamic leader, Gabbert and Henne don’t cut it but at the combine Manuel nailed his visit with the media. Manuel had a solid Senior Bowl, including the week of practice. At 6’5 and 237 lbs he’s got great size and in his Pro Day his people not only showcased is big arm they also highlighted his mobility. He has his flaws but he’s the only QB from this class who can run the read-option. Oh and I’ll throw this out there, one thing pointed out by Chip Kelly is he likes QBs with large hands. Manuel has 10.38 inch hands which were the largest of the 2013 QB class. Jacksonville trades-up from the second round to New England's first round selection, 29th pick of first round giving their 2014 second-round pick. Reasoning - Jacksonville needs a QB has to move in front of the Jets if they want to get their guy. New England is forward thinking with draft trades and can find starters in this year's second round.

*TRADE*

30 Atlanta - Trades pick to New York Jets - QB Matt Barkley, USC

The Jets made a trade last year to get a QB and do the same thing this year but this time they will play Barkley and let him challenge Sanchez for the starting job. He has the drive and character that Sanchez seems to lack. A strong leader, three-time team captain. Ran pro-style offense and made checks, gets rid of ball quickly. He’s been touted as the most ready-to-start of the rookie crop of quarterbacks so he could provide Mark Sanchez a challenge to start in training camp.

31 San Francisco - FS Eric Reid, LSU

Tall, 6’1, with solid frame, 213 lbs, athletic, 4.53 40 yard dash, 40.5 inch vertical, and 134 inch broad jump, aggressive will thumb ball carrier. Scouts have been raving about Eric Reid’s intangibles since the beginning of the draft process. As a junior he was named the captain of Louisiana State. He is a student of the game that has a reputation for his film study. He is a two SEC Academic Honor Roll student-athlete who stood out during his white board sessions at the combine and during team visits. Anything he lacks physically he makes up in intangibles.

Donte Whitner brings a load but he’s getting older and is a liability in coverage. Reid is a big thumping safety but he’s younger and has the athleticism and speed that Whitner lacks, and he brings intangibles that would make any coach want to work with him.

32 Baltimore - LB Alec Ogeltree. Georgia

Ogletree carries some risk because of his off-field issues, but he's an explosive linebacker with outstanding cover skills. His background as a safety is evident in the tape I studied. He can mirror tight ends all over the field. He does need to do a better job of using his hands to take on/shed blocks, but that can be taught.

I’m hearing Minter falls to the second round. Ogletree has the physical gifts to be a starter as a rookie and the Ravens are known to take chances on character guys.

Cleveland getting Milliner at 11....?

Ill trim my sack in happiness if that goes down.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/22/dee-milliner-may-not-be-ready-for-start-of-camp/

Dee Milliner may not be ready for start of campPosted by Josh Alper on April 22, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
Cornerback Dee Milliner said that a late March recheck of his surgically repaired shoulder went “very well,” but the injury may still impact his readiness for training camp this summer.

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Milliner may not be ready for the start of camp after having an operation to fix a torn labrum. If that winds up being true, Milliner’s busy schedule of meetings with teams ahead of the draft may be part of the reason for the delayed start to his NFL career.

“We haven’t been able to do the rehab like I want to because I’ve been going to different teams,” Milliner said. “But once the draft is over, I’ll be able to start to rehab it and try to get back on track.”

The Alabama product was installed as the draft’s top cornerback early in the process, but his perch on the top got a little shakier when Mike Mayock of the NFL Network ranked D.J. Hayden of Houston ahead of him in his final list of prospects. In his Monday Morning Quarterback column this week, Peter King also mentions hearing of teams starting to have some doubts about Milliner related to his shoulder.

This is a time for disinformation and misdirection, so one must take everything with a grain of salt until we see whether or not these whispers add up to a draft day drop for Milliner.

If the Vikings take Teo with both Ogletree and Brown still on the board I will hurl.

I like the trade down by Cleveland with the Chargers. I actually think something very much like this is going to happen.

Are you projecting Pugh at 22 as an OT or OG?
Good question.

He's got short arms so he might have to move inside eventually but I think he's got a shot to go in the first round so anyone who drafts him that high will give him a shot outside first.

My first impression of him was that he used his arms well, it's his feet that are the issue.

There is a less than 0% chance the Jets will draft another USC quarterback. I think that would increase to about 0.1% if Barkley was there in the 3rd, or if they traded down from their own 2nd.

I like Reid to the Niners but I think they go DL.

Good question.

He's got short arms so he might have to move inside eventually but I think he's got a shot to go in the first round so anyone who drafts him that high will give him a shot outside first.
This means Saffold moves into guard. Seeing as he pitched a hissy fit over being moved to RT, I don't see this happening at all.

Reid or Ogletree make more sense here.

There is a less than 0% chance the Jets will draft another USC quarterback. I think that would increase to about 0.1% if Barkley was there in the 3rd, or if they traded down from their own 2nd.

I like Reid to the Niners but I think they go DL.
I think their is less than a zero percent chance that the Jets don't make a move to land a QB and if they trade-down in the first rounda as I have projected then I feel they will take their QB at the bottom of the first round.

Per the Niners pick.

I wanted to go DL but felt Reid was BPA and met a need.

Good question.

This means Saffold moves into guard. Seeing as he pitched a hissy fit over being moved to RT, I don't see this happening at all.

Anyone who drafts Pugh in the first would likely give him a shot outside before plugging him inside.

Saffold has had injury concerns and they signed Jake Long for a reason and that is because they could not count on him manning the blind side. If anything it makes sense to get Pugh prepaired as a backup at RT.

Love the mock Bracie, but I'm really hoping that the Jags don't trade up into the first round. They have soooo many needs that every draft pick for the next few years is vital.

FWIW, it could always be a smokescreen, but the Bills have seem to made clear that they prefer both Barkley and Nassib over Geno.

GroveDiesel said:
FWIW, it could always be a smokescreen, but the Bills have seem to made clear that they prefer both Barkley and Nassib over Geno.
Can't see Bills interest being a smoke screen with Nassib 's relationship with Marrone .Nice effort ......Only things I'd question would be the order of the LB's chosen ....and the trades at the end of the 1st seem forced , although I see the scenarios are warranted, just improbable .

Bracie Smathers said:
Brady Marino said:
Good question.

Anyone who drafts Pugh in the first would likely give him a shot outside before plugging him inside.

Saffold has had injury concerns and they signed Jake Long for a reason and that is because they could not count on him manning the blind side. If anything it makes sense to get Pugh prepaired as a backup at RT.
That's why it doesn't make sense for the Rams. They're not looking to "groom" anyone with their 1st round pick. They want their 1st rounders to play right away because of need.

Mr. Brownstone said:
Love the mock Bracie, but I'm really hoping that the Jags don't trade up into the first round. They have soooo many needs that every draft pick for the next few years is vital.
If the Jags find their QB then giving up a #2 next year will be well-worth the cost.

Its a big 'IF' but if they have a guy whom they feel can be their-guy then I don't think they'd risk letting him drop any further and getting two guys from Florida would help to fill seats and getting a young quarterback always generates a sense of excitement and optimism.

GroveDiesel said:
Buddy Nix was talking QB long before he hired Marone and I honestly don't think Nassib is a first round pick.

Barkely is a legitimate name but I think Geno is the top rated quarterback and if he falls and the Bills don't have to move or give-up anything then I just can't see them letting him slide by their pick when Nix has been beating the QB drum since last fall.

I just can't see Buffalo lettnig the top rated quarterback in this draft slip thru their fingers when finding a quarterback is without question their number-one priority.

If they don't take Geno then they had better be darn sure he won't turn into a solid starting QB and then how can they skip taking Barkley or Nassib with their top pick?

I don't see Nassib as a first round pick, he could go there but I simply could not project that pick at eight.

Barkely is a real possibility but I went with the top rated QB.

The other option is to 'not-take' a QB and that would put them in desperation mode to move-up to try and catch a falling QB and their is no guarantee that the guy they want will fall unless its Nassib and even though I can't see it, well I never thought Ponder would go in the first round or Tannenhill would go as high as he did last year so its a gamble that I don't think the Bills can take.

Maybe the Jets are just trying to goad the Bills into taking Nassib but...

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg is "very high" on Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib, and the Bills are worried the Jets will poach him.

As Sal Pal alluded to, the Jets "control the first round" to some extent with the Nos. 9 and 13 selections, either or even both of which could be used as trade bait for a coveted player such as Tavon Austin or if a top-five player surprisingly falls. Both the Jets and Bills have QB needs and are very high on Nassib. "I know one thing for sure in talking to people around the league," Paolantonio reported. "The Buffalo Bills want Ryan Nassib. But they're very concerned the Jets will take him later in the first round. So the Bills may be forced to take him at No. 8."

GroveDiesel said:
Buddy Nix was talking QB long before he hired Marone and I honestly don't think Nassib is a first round pick. Barkely is a legitimate name but I think Geno is the top rated quarterback and if he falls and the Bills don't have to move or give-up anything then I just can't see them letting him slide by their pick when Nix has been beating the QB drum since last fall. I just can't see Buffalo lettnig the top rated quarterback in this draft slip thru their fingers when finding a quarterback is without question their number-one priority. If they don't take Geno then they had better be darn sure he won't turn into a solid starting QB and then how can they skip taking Barkley or Nassib with their top pick? I don't see Nassib as a first round pick, he could go there but I simply could not project that pick at eight. Barkely is a real possibility but I went with the top rated QB. The other option is to 'not-take' a QB and that would put them in desperation mode to move-up to try and catch a falling QB and their is no guarantee that the guy they want will fall unless its Nassib and even though I can't see it, well I never thought Ponder would go in the first round or Tannenhill would go as high as he did last year so its a gamble that I don't think the Bills can take.
There are quite a few "experts" that have Nassib rated as the #1 QB over Geno Smith, including Cosell, Daniel Jeremiah, Gruden etc. Nassib is also a much better fit for what the Bills want to do offensively. Smith struggled quite a bit in cold weather and windy conditions as well. Just the way Nix has talked about the QBs and the things he's said, I just don't think they have Smith as the #1 QB on their board, much like many others. I do think that they're going to go QB at the #8 pick just because if they wait until the 2nd round it's very likely both of the QBs they think can be franchise QBs will be gone. And there's no way Nix is trading away a future #1 to move from the 2nd to the bottom of the 1st to get that guy. That's not his style. It's a good mock and I appreciate the effort. I also agree that the Bills will be going QB at the #8 pick, I just think all evidence points to a different one.

Maybe the Jets are just trying to goad the Bills into taking Nassib but...

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg is "very high" on Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib, and the Bills are worried the Jets will poach him.

As Sal Pal alluded to, the Jets "control the first round" to some extent with the Nos. 9 and 13 selections, either or even both of which could be used as trade bait for a coveted player such as Tavon Austin or if a top-five player surprisingly falls. Both the Jets and Bills have QB needs and are very high on Nassib. "I know one thing for sure in talking to people around the league," Paolantonio reported. "The Buffalo Bills want Ryan Nassib. But they're very concerned the Jets will take him later in the first round. So the Bills may be forced to take him at No. 8."
Honest question for Andy or anyone.

Do you feel that Ryan Nassib is a first round quarterback?

Unfortunately I tipped my hand and I don't want to sway what others think about him so give your honest assessment of Nassib.

I will give mine.

I looked at all of the top quarterbacks and I saw flaws in all of them but at least with Geno and EJ I saw unique skills. Barkley was solid but not spectacular but the initangibles of leadership and running a Pro-set offense and ability to check at the LOS and some impressive games in his career convince me someone will pull the trigger in the first round for him.

Geno has rare skills but a couple of flaws, same with EJ but EJ seems to possess obvious leadership skills whereas Geno seems to shy away from that role.

Nassib showed some ball placement and timing but I didn't see much at all to make me think he's a first round talent or enough for me to project him as a starting NFL QB let alone a quality starting NFL QB.

What do others think of Nassib?

I feel that there are teams that feel Nassib is a first round QB.
I feel that teams 'SAY' that they feel Nassib is a first round QB and their are obvious reasons why they'd want to stragically put out that sort of information but the question is do YOU think he's a first-round talent?

I feel that there are teams that feel Nassib is a first round QB.
I feel that teams 'SAY' that they feel Nassib is a first round QB and their are obvious reasons why they'd want to stragically put out that sort of information but the question is do YOU think he's a first-round talent?
Again, that's not really the question.

Compared to first round QB talents of years past? No, I don't think he's very good.

Is he talented enough to be taken in the first round by a team that desperately needs a QB? I think he probably is.

What are these rare talents Geno has? The only thing I see from him is a strong arm. But his deep ball accuracy is still not that great. For all the talk about Barkley's mediocre arm, he actually throws a better deep ball than Geno. Smith isn't very accurate on his intermediate throws either. He pulls the trigger way too late and has little anticipation. He also seems to struggle making the right reads. Lastly, his footwork isn't all that great.

Nassib throws his intermediate throws with just as much velocity as Smith. And they're much more accurate. Furthermore, he makes better pre-snap reads and throws with anticipation, something almost entirely lacking for Geno. Geno throws a better deep ball, but that's about it. I'll take accuracy, anticipation, footwork and ability to read defenses over pure arm strength every time.

As far as Nassib being a first rounder, he is this year IMO. Everyone knows it's a relatively weak draft in general. Maybe in other drafts he's not a first rounder because of some of the questions in his game, but this draft doesn't have Luck and RG3 or Julio Jones and AJ Green or Clowney, etc.

I said before I'd rather see Buffalo punt the QB position entirely this year. Heck, I'd be OK with trading this year's first straight up for a 1st and 2nd next year and a 2nd this year. But that's not realistic. I don't love Barkley and I don't love Nassib, but I think that both of them possess just about everything it takes to be an elite NFL QB other than the big arm. In today's NFL, teams can still be very successful without the deep ball. The most important throws in the NFL are the intermediate out, the intermediate crossing route and the short slant. Both Barkley and Nassib can make those throws and make them well.

12 Miami - OT D.J Flucker, Alabama

A few weeks back Fluker was overweight and would never have been a consideration for the first round but the kid has worked his butt off, literally. He’s lost over twenty pounds. That proves the Flucker will work and that is an indication he can make it in the NFL. He is physically gifted with the longest reach of the OTs in this draft. The Phins may not be able to pull of the trade move up for one of the OLTs that they like or get OT Brandon Albert by draft day so that may force this selection. Miami knows that they can’t go into the season with Jonathan Martin as the only blind side option to protect Ryan Tannenhill. The loss of Jake Long created a hole. Early indications pointed to them moving-up for an OT but reportedly they are not sold on Lane Johnson and it would cost too much to move up for either Joeckel or Fisher so they might be forced to stay put and reach for Flucker.
What the fluck?

Just kidding. Great Mock.

Matt Waldman thinks that if Nassib can become a better deep ball passer, he can be not just a very good QB, but an elite one. And I believe he has the arm to do it as demonstrated by the velocity of his intermediate throws. IMO, his deep ball struggles stem more from a footwork problem than lack of arm strength or accuracy. If he can stay more balanced rather than lifting his back foot, he could significantly improve his deep ball.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/02/28/boiler-room-syracuse-qb-ryan-nassib/

I kinda got rooked into the Geno-Smith VS Ryan Nassib thing so I went back and checked out some things.

First both have been criticized as 'system' QBs.

Smith hails from Dana Holgorsen who installed his own brand of the Airraid offense, which was invented and developed by Hal Mumme and Mike Leach.

... for Holgorsen's purposes, the Air Raid can be distilled into three principles: simplicity, repetition, and freedom.

Simplicity means that the offensive package — often thought of as the playbook, which for NFL teams could run to hundreds of pages — gets reduced to the bare essentials. For Holgorsen and the rest of the Air Raid spawn, there is no written playbook. Throwing the ball against a variety of coverages and fronts is hard enough, but overloading your players with sight reads, multiple protection schemes, and shifting assignments makes the whole endeavor nearly impossible for 18- to 22-year-old players. This simplicity makes repetition possible. Indeed, Holgorsen installed his core offensive package at West Virginia in a measly three days; the rest of spring practice and fall camp was spent repeating those three days over and over to perfect the scheme, with additional wrinkles judiciously added.

Freedom is the final element. Holgorsen allows his players a staggering degree of freedom at the line, not just to get out of bad plays but also to find the right ones. This is rather shocking: Sure, maybe Peyton Manning or Tom Brady have the green light to make these calls, but college kids? In Holgorsen's offense, however, it makes sense. The quarterback must succeed for the team to go, and he knows his own strengths better than anyone, including the coach. Moreover, there are things that only the quarterback can see at the line. He's right in the action; he can make adjustments and respond to the defense in ways his coach, who's stuck on the sideline, cannot. Many spread, no-huddle teams nowadays have their offenses line up and then look toward the sideline to receive additional instruction. This allows coaches to get a look at the defense, but defenses also make adjustments during this time, so the offense rarely gains the upper hand. The Air Raiders skip that step and rely on the quarterback to make smart decisions. So far, West Virginia's Geno Smith has done an excellent job — good enough to average 336 passing yards with seven touchdowns, 8.5 yards per pass attempt, and only one interception this season.

Holgorsen has found ways to modify the basic Air Raid framework and fit it to his liking. For starters, while Leach used four wide receivers and a single running back on nearly every play at Texas Tech, Holgorsen's offense uses more variation, specifically in the number of running backs. Holgorsen's "Diamond" backfield set involves a single running back behind the quarterback and two blocking backs to either side of the quarterback, one of whom often motions to one side or the other. Its purpose is to force the defense to cover the inside to protect against a power run, thereby opening up individual matchups on the outside.

The 'Diamond' formation sounds very-much like the 'Pistol' which is currently in vogue in the NFL.

Geno has all of the physical attributes of an NFL QB especially his arm. Also he smoked a 4.59 forty yard dash at the Combine so that qualfies as a 'rare' physical skill that few starting NFL quarterbacks possess.

-----------------------------

The offense run by Marone is a hurry-up shotgun with bunched sets and four-wides with a back lining up in the backfield where he splits or goes out as the ball is snapped.

In watching more tape of Nassib he wasn't helped at all by his WRs who had many drops but I noticed another flaw that I didn't see with him earlier and that is he is terrrible when faced with pressure up the gut. He's fine when pressure comes from the outside where he steps-up in the pocket but collapses like a house of cards with pressure up the gut.

That sort of offense has simple reads and Ryan was operating from the gun so he was making very easy reads much of the time and usually only reading one-side of the field.

Couldn't help noticing the same long-ball issues.

My biggest issue with Geno is he pulls the ripcord too early and bails, not extending the play. ALSO when he takes off he doesn't keep his head/eyes up to continue looking downfield. Add he has 'rare' speed but it wasn't utilized, I think that sort of speed can be harnessed but he has to get drilled on that pocket pressence.

Nassib will have to learn how to operate under center which is another can of worms all by itself.

Bottom line If I'm Buddy Nix and Geno fell in my lap I tell Marrone that he's your new QB, now go fix the issues he has and add wrinkles to exploit his speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread