What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bradie James and Courtney Watson... (1 Viewer)

aposulli

Footballguy
I'm new to IDP so bear with me...

Here's what I know...

Bradie James is young and appears to be maturing well on the statsheet.

I thought he was the replacement for Dat Nguyen.

It appears they did both play last year at the same time, So I was wondering if James was seeing PT at JLB with Nguyen in the MLB?

The Cowboys depth chart according to FBGs is...

B.James (MLB), S.Shanle (JLB), D.Ware (WSLB), A.Ayodele (SSLB)

So are the 'Boys gonna remain in 3-4 and if so, will James remain in on Nickel packages?

Courtney Watson interestingly appears as the only full-time starter on the updated depth charts....

Are we to suspect that maybe the Saints draft a LB? They might be trading down, and that seems to be a position of need.

Anyway, I'm more interested on gaining any info on this guy in particular, as I know nothing besides the fact that he graded out well coming out of college. And taking a glance at his bio, it appears he is injury prone.

I am in a 2LB league (see below) and currently have no room for pickups, but I was wondering if these guys are worth cutting anyone on my roster, including Danny Clark.

IMO -

You have James pegged, he is a 3 down starting ILB for Dallas. Watson is not a starter in all probability for NO. I personally would not take James or Watson over Clark, but I bet some will tell you take James over Clark ...

I will be surprised if anyone says take Watson over CLark ...

Welcome to IDP. You'll never go back.

It appears they did both play last year at the same time, So I was wondering if James was seeing PT at JLB with Nguyen in the MLB?

So are the 'Boys gonna remain in 3-4 and if so, will James remain in on Nickel packages?
The JLB or "Jack" position is designed to protect smaller linebackers in a 3-4 alignments. The RILB normally is free to make plays in this scheme anyway, but my understanding is that a scheme including a JLB maximizing protection of that position still more.Bradie James has near perfect measurables with regard to size 6'2", 240) and speed. The JLB slot was put in specifically for Dat Nguyen; Bradie played the MLB position in the scheme all season.

This season, I think you're most likely to see an alignment like

LOLB Singleton/Burnett

LILB James

RILB Ayodele

ROLB Ware

Ayodele is plenty big enough to handle inside backer in a 3-4 scheme so they may scrap the Jack schemes. It's also possible that James moves to the RILB or more WLB spot as Ayodele has experience on the strong side and may be better suited to take on blockers.

I think James is likely to be on the field in the nickel package as well, but I'm not positive. IIRC, it was hit or miss last season. Ayodele played some nickel in Jacksonville but not much. The Cowboys did sign Rocky Boiman, who has a reputation as a good nickel backer.

Courtney Watson interestingly appears as the only full-time starter on the updated depth charts....

Are we to suspect that maybe the Saints draft a LB? They might be trading down, and that seems to be a position of need.

Anyway, I'm more interested on gaining any info on this guy in particular, as I know nothing besides the fact that he graded out well coming out of college. And taking a glance at his bio, it appears he is injury prone.
That a defensive minded HC like Jim Haslett couldn't put together a decent corps of LB during his stint in NO is laughable. Yet there was venerable old Ron McKinnon playing MLB last year.Courtney Watson was solid but nothing special before tearing his MCL mid season. McKinnon was more productive and that is telling. Buckwoldt was solid at WLB. The Saints drafted Alfred Fincher who then promptly busted up a wrist. He returned midseason, but wasn't impressive and couldn't crack the starting lineup. There are no rumblings about any of these guys that I've seen thus far this offseason. Anthony Simmons was signed to compete during camp but he's a complete wildcard. Simmons had a wrist injury severe enough to keep him out over a full season which can't bode well for leverage and tackling. But if he's healthy he's a deep sleeper and the Simmons of 2002-03 is better than anything the Saints currently have rostered. Expect the Saints to look at LB again in this draft.

I am in a 2LB league (see below) and currently have no room for pickups, but I was wondering if these guys are worth cutting anyone on my roster, including Danny Clark.
We just had some good discussions about Danny Clark and the Raider LB corps a couple days back. Here's the link.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=232718

In most scoring systems, Clark was the higher scorer in 2005. But it wouldn't shock me to see Clark drop a bit and James move up toward LB2 range this year. If James gets moved to RILB and Ayodele plays well next to him, he could really surprise. Unfortunately, I've thought this about James for three seasons now. On the other hand, I strongly doubt Clark outscores James by a mile. I wouldn't move Clark for Watson.

If you can move Clark for anything of value and then pick up James, I like the move. If not, my philosophy is still to go for the bigger potential, particularly if you've got other solid starters rostered.

my small input:

Bradie James is somewhat of an enigma to me. He's been around for a while but hasn't made his mark. I think this is his best shot to determine whether or not he'll ever be a solid ff contributor, bye week fodder, or the scrap heap.

Courtney Watson? I've pretty much given up all hope on him. I've written him off as a bum with a very small chance at being something worthy of notice. But hey, he's a young MLB, lol.

Welcome to IDP. You'll never go back.

The JLB or "Jack" position is designed to protect smaller linebackers in a 3-4 alignments. The RILB normally is free to make plays in this scheme anyway, but my understanding is that a scheme including a JLB maximizing protection of that position still more.Bradie James has near perfect measurables with regard to size 6'2", 240) and speed. The JLB slot was put in specifically for Dat Nguyen; Bradie played the MLB position in the scheme all season.

This season, I think you're most likely to see an alignment like

LOLB Singleton/Burnett

LILB James

RILB Ayodele

ROLB Ware

Ayodele is plenty big enough to handle inside backer in a 3-4 scheme so they may scrap the Jack schemes. It's also possible that James moves to the RILB or more WLB spot as Ayodele has experience on the strong side and may be better suited to take on blockers.

I think James is likely to be on the field in the nickel package as well, but I'm not positive. IIRC, it was hit or miss last season. Ayodele played some nickel in Jacksonville but not much. The Cowboys did sign Rocky Boiman, who has a reputation as a good nickel backer.

That a defensive minded HC like Jim Haslett couldn't put together a decent corps of LB during his stint in NO is laughable. Yet there was venerable old Ron McKinnon playing MLB last year.Courtney Watson was solid but nothing special before tearing his MCL mid season. McKinnon was more productive and that is telling. Buckwoldt was solid at WLB. The Saints drafted Alfred Fincher who then promptly busted up a wrist. He returned midseason, but wasn't impressive and couldn't crack the starting lineup. There are no rumblings about any of these guys that I've seen thus far this offseason. Anthony Simmons was signed to compete during camp but he's a complete wildcard. Simmons had a wrist injury severe enough to keep him out over a full season which can't bode well for leverage and tackling. But if he's healthy he's a deep sleeper and the Simmons of 2002-03 is better than anything the Saints currently have rostered. Expect the Saints to look at LB again in this draft.

We just had some good discussions about Danny Clark and the Raider LB corps a couple days back. Here's the link.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=232718

In most scoring systems, Clark was the higher scorer in 2005. But it wouldn't shock me to see Clark drop a bit and James move up toward LB2 range this year. If James gets moved to RILB and Ayodele plays well next to him, he could really surprise. Unfortunately, I've thought this about James for three seasons now. On the other hand, I strongly doubt Clark outscores James by a mile. I wouldn't move Clark for Watson.

If you can move Clark for anything of value and then pick up James, I like the move. If not, my philosophy is still to go for the bigger potential, particularly if you've got other solid starters rostered.
Thanks for all the info. I did read all the posts about Clark, and I came away a bit skeptical. But I guess if the Raiders stay in a 4-3 this year, he's the MLB.

I would cut all your LBs, including Clark for Watson, James, and Darling. :lmao:

There's a good chance that Watson will even be a starter. In the Saints' recent minicamp, Bockwoldt was playing MLB, Fujita WLB, and Simmons SLB.

James has potential, but we've been saying that for a couple of years now.

Unless the Raiders draft Hawk and upgrade that D, Morrison or Clark will play MLB or WLB...and that defense will be on the field for a long time...

Users who are viewing this thread