What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brady Quinn Trade (Last Year's) (1 Viewer)

pmcdade

Footballguy
If the season were to end today, the irony is that Dallas, who thought they were getting a deal trading away the 22nd pick in the draft since Cleveland's pick in '08 would likely be a much higher pick, is actually likely to end up with.... the 22nd pick.

So, since the pick values of the two years are identical... Cleveland basically spent a 2nd round pick to get an extra year of Quinn with the team. To evaluate, what do people think of the following:

1) Would Quinn be taken before 22 THIS year?

2) With the Anderson situation it appears that Cleveland may have wasted this pick... but is Anderson with his poor completion percentage, and recent Cinci debacle really the answer?

3) What is the real value of getting a pick this year instead of next... a 2nd?

To me it is a great deal for Cleveland. Dallas did the trade thinking Cleveland's pick was going to be a top 10 pick. And Cleveland got to get Brady Quinn a taste of the NFL.

This is the way trades are supposed to work. Both teams benefitted greatly. As a Browns fan, it could have been a LOT worse... See San Francisco and New England.

Quinn looked good in the preseason. I think his value went up considerably because of that.

This is the way trades are supposed to work. Both teams benefitted greatly. As a Browns fan, it could have been a LOT worse... See San Francisco and New England.
Yes they did, Dallas didn't really need anyone at that spot this year that they didn't get anyway, and now they get another 1st. I'm not sure what they'll go after, perhaps OL, NT or FS? They're in a very nice position. Despite Quinn not playing this year, Cleveland still did well. Backup QBs are very important in this league (right Panther fans?) and Quinn still could be the franchise QB. 1) I don't know. Ryan, Brohm, and Woodson all probably would go higher, Brennen may be close. Personally, I like Flacco as well. 2) DA isn't the long term answer :confused:3) a 2nd seems like a fair price.

Quinn looked good in the preseason. I think his value went up considerably because of that.
I know this will never happen... but Cleveland should look into trading away Quinn for a 1st. I honestly think that a team trading anything above #15 pick for Quinn is getting a better deal than actually drafting a rookie. As stated above; we saw Quinn in the pre-season and he looked darn good for a rookie... and the kicker is he already signed to a franchise friendly deal; so theres no hold out... Quinn comes in day 1 of camp and begins learning.I think either way... Quinn or Anderson has to go.. but it will most likely be Cleveland trading Anderson's rights away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this will never happen... but Cleveland should look into trading away Quinn for a 1st. I honestly think that a team trading anything above #15 pick for Quinn is getting a better deal than actually drafting a rookie. As stated above; we saw Quinn in the pre-season and he looked darn good for a rookie... and the kicker is he already signed to a franchise friendly deal; so theres no hold out... Quinn comes in day 1 of camp and begins learning.
I kind of disagree. Quinn has a year under his belt with Rob Chudzinski's offense with no playing time. Unless he goes to a team with a very similar offense, trading for Quinn will be like trading for a rookie as that year of development kind of becomes nill. Alex Smith never got a fair shake to develop as he had to adjust to three different offensive coordinators. Quinn does have the mental makeup and physical attributes to be an above average NFL QB, but I believe that the only way this year is valuable to Quinn is if he stays in Cleveland continuing to play in Chud's offense. That said, I agree with you that Anderson is the one to go. Brady Quinn has been Cleveland's bell cow since the draft, his jersey is the #11 seller overall in the NFL, and he is set to be the face of the franchise for years to come. Not to mention he had a great year of practice and has the coaching staff's confidence. Quinn's throw to Jurevicius in the preseason (the TD that was called out of bounds that Romeo didn't challenge) could be the nicest throw I've seen this season.

If the season were to end today, the irony is that Dallas, who thought they were getting a deal trading away the 22nd pick in the draft since Cleveland's pick in '08 would likely be a much higher pick, is actually likely to end up with.... the 22nd pick. So, since the pick values of the two years are identical... Cleveland basically spent a 2nd round pick to get an extra year of Quinn with the team. To evaluate, what do people think of the following:1) Would Quinn be taken before 22 THIS year?2) With the Anderson situation it appears that Cleveland may have wasted this pick... but is Anderson with his poor completion percentage, and recent Cinci debacle really the answer?3) What is the real value of getting a pick this year instead of next... a 2nd?
It's tough to speculate, but I'm going to say that if Quinn had the season he had in 2006 and were coming into this draft, he'd be a top 5 pick. It's likely he'd be the #1 pick. I don't think the pick was wasted. It worked out very well for the Browns. I think a 2nd is fair to get the pick a year ahead.

The 22 this year will also make more $$$ then the 22 last year. Good trade for both teams, actually. Cleveland got the guy they wanted, and Dallas was able to do the same (Spencer) PLUS pick up a 1st.

Not for Dallas. I'm not bashing them as at the time I too thought that pick would be top 10 if not top 5. But all they did was defer the use of the same pick for one year, which is a net loss in value due to what amounts to discount rate for picks. The clear advantage in this trade, as it's turned out, was to the Browns.EDIT - nevermind, I forgot about the other pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the season were to end today, the irony is that Dallas, who thought they were getting a deal trading away the 22nd pick in the draft since Cleveland's pick in '08 would likely be a much higher pick, is actually likely to end up with.... the 22nd pick. So, since the pick values of the two years are identical... Cleveland basically spent a 2nd round pick to get an extra year of Quinn with the team. To evaluate, what do people think of the following:1) Would Quinn be taken before 22 THIS year?2) With the Anderson situation it appears that Cleveland may have wasted this pick... but is Anderson with his poor completion percentage, and recent Cinci debacle really the answer?3) What is the real value of getting a pick this year instead of next... a 2nd?
It's tough to speculate, but I'm going to say that if Quinn had the season he had in 2006 and were coming into this draft, he'd be a top 5 pick. It's likely he'd be the #1 pick. I don't think the pick was wasted. It worked out very well for the Browns. I think a 2nd is fair to get the pick a year ahead.
Ya, if Quinn was solid this year in college, I think he'd be a top 3 QB this year with a good possibility at first selected.

what was the full trade? How many slots did Dallas slide down?

Could have been a lot worse for Cleve - I never like dealing a future 1st - you never know if you have a fluke year and could end up drafting top 10 - See SF!

Wonder if teams could deal a 1st rd pick with Top 10 protection like they do in the NBA - that would make it a lot easier to deal IMO - not sure if there is a rule against that - anyone know?

Ya, if Quinn was solid this year in college, I think he'd be a top 3 QB this year with a good possibility at first selected.
I don't see how any of the guys coming out this year would grade above Quinn. We'll never really know for sure who would have been drafted first, but I don't see how Quinn would not be the #1 QB taken in this upcoming draft.

what was the full trade? How many slots did Dallas slide down?Could have been a lot worse for Cleve - I never like dealing a future 1st - you never know if you have a fluke year and could end up drafting top 10 - See SF! Wonder if teams could deal a 1st rd pick with Top 10 protection like they do in the NBA - that would make it a lot easier to deal IMO - not sure if there is a rule against that - anyone know?
Part of the lure of trading for future picks is the chance that the team bombs and you're rewarded with the high pick (Like New England is with the Joe Staley trade). There's no rule about "protection," there are loads of trades with conditional picks. I'm not sure about football, but hockey GMs use the conditional pick all the time for players that may have a better year than expected, a free agent that signs a long-term deal with the trader, or simply making the team.

what was the full trade? How many slots did Dallas slide down?

Could have been a lot worse for Cleve - I never like dealing a future 1st - you never know if you have a fluke year and could end up drafting top 10 - See SF!

Wonder if teams could deal a 1st rd pick with Top 10 protection like they do in the NBA - that would make it a lot easier to deal IMO - not sure if there is a rule against that - anyone know?
Part of the lure of trading for future picks is the chance that the team bombs and you're rewarded with the high pick (Like New England is with the Joe Staley trade). There's no rule about "protection," there are loads of trades with conditional picks. I'm not sure about football, but hockey GMs use the conditional pick all the time for players that may have a better year than expected, a free agent that signs a long-term deal with the trader, or simply making the team.
This is a good point and I do not see why it is not done more often in Football (i.e. we'll trade away our 1st rounder, but it is protected if we land in the first 5 picks...done in basketball a lot). I do think it is done in football, but tends to be with headcase (i.e. Ricky Williams) or injured (i.e. Trent Green) players. I think Ricky had a performance clause in the trade (if he did well, it was a 1st, etc.) and I even think Trent Green had one, but could be mistaken based on how many games he played.

Users who are viewing this thread