What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall Signs with Giants (3 Viewers)

"I wouldn't have been comfortable with it." @BMarshall on being on the #Jets if they acquired Jay Cutler

Same ol piece of garbage. Will never be any different. Just a disloyal divisive turd of a person 
I don't think they got along towards the end of their tenure with the Bears - and I'm sure some of that was on Cutler.

I don't think they got along towards the end of their tenure with the Bears - and I'm sure some of that was on Cutler.
I think Marshall has mellowed some and fits in well here.  Big upgrade from Cruz, IMO.   NYG add a TE in the draft and who needs a RB?

WC at best? The Giants had the 2nd best record in the conference last season, I don’t think that Dallas winning the division is a foregone conclusion
Isn't Dallas having to replace almost their entire secondary this off-season?

Marshall has never gotten along with anyone for long because he's disloyal and will stab you in the back at a moment's notice.  He'll end up alone and broke one day and blame everyone else. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we think Brandon Marshall can have a bounce back year?  Is it possible for 85/1000/7? and if so, solid WR2 numbers?

Do we think Brandon Marshall can have a bounce back year?  Is it possible for 85/1000/7? and if so, solid WR2 numbers?
He was the #3 receiver two years ago and last year had to play with Fitz, Petty, and Smith on one of the worst offenses in the league. 

If the Giants offense rebounds, he could be a borderline WR1 or a solid WR2. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think BM can be a viable FF starter in NY. I think a lot will depend on how Shepherd and Engram do this season. That's his competition for targets. 

Do we think Brandon Marshall can have a bounce back year? Is it possible for 85/1000/7? and if so, solid WR2 numbers?
There's never been a ton of targets behind OBJ granted Marshall is an upgrade over what they've worked with in the past. Still, I'm not sure he will see enough volume to reach 85 catches given his career catch percentage and how others have performed in his role. He's managed all those 100+ catch seasons on monstrous volume and that's obviously out of the question; I think he'd need something like 140-150 targets to catch 85 balls.

I think something like a 75/1000/8 stat line is possible but would be on the higher end of his realistic range this year.

He is a future Hall of Fame WR playing with a likely future Hall of Fame QB for the first time in his career. He is nearing the twilight of his career and he will play second fiddle to OBJ, but I will be surprised if he doesn't get at least 70/1000/6--on the low end.  His style of play depends more on size and route running than on speed so I don't think his skills decline as quickly as some WRs who are more speed dependent. 

Someone will reach for him in my drafts.  He will have some big games but will be inconsistent fighting for targets behind obj.  Pass for me

need2know said:
Someone will reach for him in my drafts.  He will have some big games but will be inconsistent fighting for targets behind obj.  Pass for me
Let's flesh this out some.

2016 - NYG 597 attempts, OBJ 169 targets (28.3%)
2015 - NYG 615 attempts, OBJ 158 targets (25.7%)
2014 - NYG 599 attempts, OBJ 130 targets (21.7%)

In those seasons, guys like Rueben Randle had 127 targets and Larry Donnell had 92. There's plenty leftover for Marshall. The Giants were Bottom 3 in the league in rushing yards, rushing TD, and ypc last season. They are again going to have to move the ball through the air.

People have a tendency to want to allocate last year's targets the same and then see what the new guy gets from the scraps and leftovers. I beg to differ. The targets will go to OBJ and Marshall and everyone else will get the leftovers. I doubt a rookie TE is going to take a ton of targets away from a player that has had six 100 catch seasons.

Assuming OBJ stays healthy and out of trouble (FAR from a given for either of those), if we give OBJ 10 targets a game (160 total) and Marshall 8 targets a game (128), that adds up to 288. Based on 600 attempts, that still leaves  312 targets for Shephard, Engram, Vereen, and role players.

Using Marshall's career averages for catch%, ypr, and TD%, that would put Marshall in line for around 80 catches, 1,000 yards, and 8 TD. That's 228 fantasy points in PPR leagues. In 2016, that would have ranked as WR15. AT MFL, Marshall currently has an ADP of WR34 in PPR drafts.

I don't think projecting Marshall for 128 targets is an outrageous number. Given that Shepard is recovering from an ankle injury, Vereen is coming back from multiple surgeries, and rookie TE's typically struggle, Marshall may be in line for even more targets than I just spelled out.

All this pretty much aligns with my position I posted earlier (borderline fantasy WR1 and solid WR2 numbers).

Let's flesh this out some.

2016 - NYG 597 attempts, OBJ 169 targets (28.3%)
2015 - NYG 615 attempts, OBJ 158 targets (25.7%)
2014 - NYG 599 attempts, OBJ 130 targets (21.7%)

In those seasons, guys like Rueben Randle had 127 targets and Larry Donnell had 92. There's plenty leftover for Marshall. The Giants were Bottom 3 in the league in rushing yards, rushing TD, and ypc last season. They are again going to have to move the ball through the air.

People have a tendency to want to allocate last year's targets the same and then see what the new guy gets from the scraps and leftovers. I beg to differ. The targets will go to OBJ and Marshall and everyone else will get the leftovers. I doubt a rookie TE is going to take a ton of targets away from a player that has had six 100 catch seasons.

Assuming OBJ stays healthy and out of trouble (FAR from a given for either of those), if we give OBJ 10 targets a game (160 total) and Marshall 8 targets a game (128), that adds up to 288. Based on 600 attempts, that still leaves  312 targets for Shephard, Engram, Vereen, and role players.

Using Marshall's career averages for catch%, ypr, and TD%, that would put Marshall in line for around 80 catches, 1,000 yards, and 8 TD. That's 228 fantasy points in PPR leagues. In 2016, that would have ranked as WR15. AT MFL, Marshall currently has an ADP of WR34 in PPR drafts.

I don't think projecting Marshall for 128 targets is an outrageous number. Given that Shepard is recovering from an ankle injury, Vereen is coming back from multiple surgeries, and rookie TE's typically struggle, Marshall may be in line for even more targets than I just spelled out.

All this pretty much aligns with my position I posted earlier (borderline fantasy WR1 and solid WR2 numbers).
Good stuff.  I will look more at him

I don't think it is him, I think it is Manning and the offensive scheme.  That being said, he is not likely to produce this year.  Manning almost never looks at him.

As a Giants fan I'm thrilled with the signing. He could go for 700/3 and still have a really positive impact on this team. It's all upside imo, especially when you factor in the veteran/character locker room presence.
Come again? Character locker room presence? :confused:  Guy is total garbage 

flapgreen said:
Come again? Character locker room presence? :confused:  Guy is total garbage 
Welcome to 2010.

You know I'd happily link to all the stories about how he's turned his life around but your posting history shows me what a waste of time that would be. But it's comical if you know anything about the Giants front office that they would bring in a 33yo WR if there were still character issues. 

Welcome to 2010.

You know I'd happily link to all the stories about how he's turned his life around but your posting history shows me what a waste of time that would be. But it's comical if you know anything about the Giants front office that they would bring in a 33yo WR if there were still character issues. 
Yeah, you're probably right. 

"Tomorrow I'll have surgery ending year 12," Marshall posted on his Instagram account. "I'm filled with mixed emotions. I wasn't able to produce for my team the way I wanted to but this was my greatest year to date. This game has shown me who I really am good and bad. This game has given me the opportunity to grow as a man, father, husband, teammate, leader. ... I'm so thankful for this game."
Class act.

I had high hopes for him and this team in general; what a disaster it turned out to be. 

In 172 career games for the Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins, Chicago Bears, New York Jets and the Giants, Marshall has 959 receptions for 12,215 yards and 82 touchdowns.
https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2017/10/10/New-York-Giants-WR-Brandon-Marshall-joins-Odell-Beckham-Jr-will-have-season-ending-surgery/2021507619550/

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 48m48 minutes ago

Giants now have announced they released Brandon Marshall, the second notable NFC East WR to be released within a week

Chris Mortensen‏ @mortreport 53m53 minutes ago

Gettleman confirms team is releasing Brandon Marshall with "failed physical" designation

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 48m48 minutes ago

Giants now have announced they released Brandon Marshall, the second notable NFC East WR to be released within a week

Chris Mortensen‏ @mortreport 53m53 minutes ago

Gettleman confirms team is releasing Brandon Marshall with "failed physical" designation
As long as that "failed physical" sorts itself out, to where he can pass one, I think he'd be a great flier for some team to pick up. Sure he's not a guy you want to force feed 170 targets anymore, but I think he can still be a very useful part of an offense. I think it'd be a mistake to write Marshall off yet.

As long as that "failed physical" sorts itself out, to where he can pass one, I think he'd be a great flier for some team to pick up. Sure he's not a guy you want to force feed 170 targets anymore, but I think he can still be a very useful part of an offense. I think it'd be a mistake to write Marshall off yet.
He's be a perfect bridge player for the Cowboys. I'd love to see him in Dallas. Makes drafting a WR in round 1 less vital, allowing the boys to build the defense first, clearly the weaker of the two units.

Users who are viewing this thread