What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bring on the blues jams - Official Allman Brothers Band Countdown - #1 In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (1 Viewer)

1. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (Idlewild South/At Fillmore East – Dickey)

Studio Version

Live at Fillmore East, March 13 1971

Acoustic Version, from An Evening With…Second Set

Live at Fillmore West, January 31, 1971

The top spot in the countdown is not just my favorite Allman Brothers song. It’s my all-time favorite piece of music by any band.

After heaping so much praise on “Whipping Post,” how can I possibly rank another song ahead of it? It was a tough call. At their best, I consider both songs to be equally amazing and both would challenge for the top spot in my ranking of the greatest songs ever. But when pitting them head-to-head, “Liz Reed” gets the slight edge for me because I find it to be more consistently great. There are a couple performances of “Whipping Post” that I have heard over the years that were merely very good, but not over-the-top amazing. I don’t think I have ever heard a version of “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed” that didn’t blow me away.

This was the first instrumental that Dickey wrote for the band and it remains the best. He wrote it for a girl that he was in a relationship with at the time. She just happened to be the girlfriend of Boz Scaggs. To hide the relationship, Dickey took the name “Elizabeth Reed” from the headstone of someone buried at Rose Hill Cemetery (see the write-up for “Little Martha”).

For me the studio version of this song is almost an afterthought. I mean, it’s incredible and one of the reasons Idlewild South is in contention for my favorite ABB album. But there are so many great live versions of this song, each of which seems like the definitive version of the song, that you almost forget that a studio version exists.

Of course, as with many songs in the Allman catalog, it begins and ends with At Fillmore East. The version heard on the original album comes from the first show on March 13. The 1992 album The Fillmore Concerts spliced together that version and the version from the second show on March 12, causing considerable confusion. Both the March 12 and March 13 versions are outstanding, but are better appreciated as distinct performances rather than spliced together. I highly recommend getting the Fillmore East boxed set to hear all the original versions.

What do I love about this song? Basically everything. The chord progression is beautiful. The drums are locked in the entire time. It might have my favorite bass line of any song ever written. Even Gregg gets in on the action with an awesome organ solo incorporating a number of really cool riffs.

Ultimately, though, it’s about those guitars. Recording after recording of this song features some of the most amazing guitar work you will ever hear. Something about the chord structure must lend itself to people channeling their inner Duane, because every person that plays a solo on this song seems to absolutely kill it.

Of course, no one kills it more than Duane himself. Starting at around 7:50 on the original Fillmore recording, Duane unleashes what I consider to be the greatest guitar solo ever played. It is otherworldly. I have listened to it hundreds of times and am still blown away every time.

I said in an earlier entry (for “Ramblin’ Man”) that when you listen to a Duane solo, he would routinely improvise for five minutes without ever getting stuck on the same idea. He would explore so much ground during a solo, yet everything still seemed to make sense and fit the tune. An article about his playing from Guitar World says it better: “Through his studio work, Duane had developed a great sense of rhythm as well as a keen understanding of economy, in terms of phrasing. This understanding resulted in improvised solos that remained cohesive and conversational no matter how long they stretched out or how far they roamed from the original starting point.” I think this is really seen on the amazing solos he did for “Liz Reed.”

Given that it is his song, I should also mention that Dickey also has incredible solos on many versions of this tune. My favorite is one I alluded to in the “Les Brers” entry. During this version from Fillmore West (January 29, 1971) you can hear a melody very similar to the “Les Brers” theme around 4:25-4:30.

While the versions of this song featuring Duane obviously stand out, there are many great renditions from later lineups as well. A particular favorite of mine is the acoustic version from An Evening With…Second Set, which was recorded at the R&R Club in Los Angeles in 1992 during a show played with the Indigo Girls. As @Pip's Invitation previously mentioned, there are also ultra-jammy versions of this song with run times over 40 minutes, such as this one from the Fox Theatre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of all the monstrous “most classic of classic rock” songs out there, Whipping Post is one of the few I never get tired of. There is so much going on in each passage. And the experimentation in all the live performances doesn’t hurt. 

I have to agree with its ranking — the only reason Whipping Post is not the Allmans’ greatest song is that they also wrote the greatest rock instrumental of all time.
In the early/mid 90s I saw them play in the parking lot between Giants Stadium and the Race Track (no idea why it was in that location) - and the guy and his girlfriend that drove me there wanted to leave before the encore in order to beat the traffic. I was so convinced it would be Whipping Post that I said "no way, you guys can leave and I'll find a ride home" - they stayed, the Bros played "Whipping Post" and everyone was very good with the decision to stay. 

Thanks for the thread @turnjose7.  I’ve been super busy so have just been skimming but am planning to catch up and read and listen more soon when things clear up.  Turns out I don’t know nearly as much Allmans as I thought, lots to learn.

Studio Version

The top spot in the countdown is not just my favorite Allman Brothers song. It’s my all-time favorite piece of music by any band.

After heaping so much praise on “Whipping Post,” how can I possibly rank another song ahead of it? It was a tough call. At their best, I consider both songs to be equally amazing and both would challenge for the top spot in my ranking of the greatest songs ever. But when pitting them head-to-head, “Liz Reed” gets the slight edge for me because I find it to be more consistently great. There are a couple performances of “Whipping Post” that I have heard over the years that were merely very good, but not over-the-top amazing. I don’t think I have ever heard a version of “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed” that didn’t blow me away.

This was the first instrumental that Dickey wrote for the band and it remains the best. He wrote it for a girl that he was in a relationship with at the time. She just happened to be the girlfriend of Boz Scaggs. To hide the relationship, Dickey took the name “Elizabeth Reed” from the headstone of someone buried at Rose Hill Cemetery (see the write-up for “Little Martha”).

For me the studio version of this song is almost an afterthought. I mean, it’s incredible and one of the reasons Idlewild South is in contention for my favorite ABB album. But there are so many great live versions of this song, each of which seems like the definitive version of the song, that you almost forget that a studio version exists.

Of course, as with many songs in the Allman catalog, it begins and ends with At Fillmore East. The version heard on the original album comes from the first show on March 13. The 1992 album The Fillmore Concerts spliced together that version and the version from the second show on March 12, causing considerable confusion. Both the March 12 and March 13 versions are outstanding, but are better appreciated as distinct performances rather than spliced together. I highly recommend getting the Fillmore East boxed set to hear all the original versions.

What do I love about this song? Basically everything. The chord progression is beautiful. The drums are locked in the entire time. It might have my favorite bass line of any song ever written. Even Gregg gets in on the action with an awesome organ solo incorporating a number of really cool riffs.

Ultimately, though, it’s about those guitars. Recording after recording of this song features some of the most amazing guitar work you will ever hear. Something about the chord structure must lend itself to people channeling their inner Duane, because every person that plays a solo on this song seems to absolutely kill it.

Of course, no one kills it more than Duane himself. Starting at around 7:50 on the original Fillmore recording, Duane unleashes what I consider to be the greatest guitar solo ever played. It is otherworldly. I have listened to it hundreds of times and am still blown away every time.

I said in an earlier entry (for “Ramblin’ Man”) that when you listen to a Duane solo, he would routinely improvise for five minutes without ever getting stuck on the same idea. He would explore so much ground during a solo, yet everything still seemed to make sense and fit the tune. An article about his playing from Guitar World says it better: “Through his studio work, Duane had developed a great sense of rhythm as well as a keen understanding of economy, in terms of phrasing. This understanding resulted in improvised solos that remained cohesive and conversational no matter how long they stretched out or how far they roamed from the original starting point.” I think this is really seen on the amazing solos he did for “Liz Reed.”

Given that it is his song, I should also mention that Dickey also has incredible solos on many versions of this tune. My favorite is one I alluded to in the “Les Brers” entry. During this version from Fillmore West (January 29, 1971) you can hear a melody very similar to the “Les Brers” theme around 4:25-4:30.

While the versions of this song featuring Duane obviously stand out, there are many great renditions from later lineups as well. A particular favorite of mine is the acoustic version from An Evening With…Second Set, which was recorded at the R&R Club in Los Angeles in 1992 during a show played with the Indigo Girls. As @Pip's Invitation previously mentioned, there are also ultra-jammy versions of this song with run times over 40 minutes, such as this one from the Fox Theatre.
Yep, greatest rock instrumental of all time, though I prefer it when they keep the drum/percussion solo to less than 5 minutes. It just sends chills down my spine whenever it comes on. 

Thanks for putting this together, it was a great Reed. 

I saw the Allmans three times and it should have been more. Here is what I got:

Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, PA 8/26/91

1.Hot 'Lanta

2.Statesboro Blues

3.Blue Sky

4.End Of The Line

5.Nobody Knows

6.Kind Of Bird

7.Low Down Dirty Mean

8.Melissa

9.Come On In My Kitchen

10.Midnight Rider

11.Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad

12.Hoochie Coochie Man

13.Get On With Your Life

14.In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

15.Revival

Encore:

16.Jessica

17.Whipping Post

Blues Traveller opened.

Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, PA 8/22/92

1.Don't Want You No More

2.It's Not My Cross To Bear

3.Statesboro Blues

4.Blue Sky

5.Nobody Knows

6.Don't Keep Me Wonderin'

7.Black Hearted Woman

8.Seven Turns

9.Midnight Rider

10.Southbound

11.Melissa

12.Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad

13.Hoochie Coochie Man

14.Get On With Your Life

15.Jessica

16.Revival

Encore:

17.One Way Out

18.Dreams

19.Whipping Post

Tom Cochran opened.

Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, PA 5/25/95

Set I:

1.Don't Want You No More

3.Ain't Wastin' Time No More

4.Ramblin' Man

5.Good Clean Fun

6.Sailin' 'Cross The Devil's Sea

7.The Same Thing

8.Soulshine

9.Can't Get To Heaven on a Ten Dollar Bill

10.End Of The Line

Set II:

11.You Don't Love Me

12.Hoochie Coochie Man

13.Back Where It All Begins

14.Stormy Monday

15.I Know I Oughta Leave

16.Jessica -> 

17.Mountain Jam ->

18.Jessica

Encore:

19.One Way Out

20.Whipping Post

The 1995 show was just jaw-dropping, and I should have gone to see them more after that, but a lot of factors contributed to that not happening. First, I wasn't sure if they'd ever be able to top my show from '95. Second, Warren left soon after and I didn't expect them to be anywhere near as good without him. Third, in the late '90s I was in the doldrums of my first marriage and didn't get to many shows. Fourth, once I get separated/divorced in the early '00s, I was going to a lot of different shows and the Allmans weren't a priority because I had already seen them three times (and Phish was the only major band that I would try to see on every tour that came to the Northeast). I probably should have tried to revisit them once Warren returned, but I never got around to it. 

bold choice at the top, and it immediately flashed me back to stoned arguments i had at the time. there was always more than one bud who insisted they were best as a jam band against my preference for the bluesrock tunes. i held firm cuz ABB was about the only Southern thing i liked (long story - hippie-hassled ever time i crossed the Mason-Dixon), so much so that i flew down for a job interview @ Capricorn Records in '74. got lost in Macon in my rental car and ended up in sharecropper country - which made SBronx look like Del Boca Vista - and was so thoroughly shocked that i doint remember saying a cogent word at the meeting. 

anyway, that disagreement with my buds held me against the whole instrumental aspect until somebody at a party put Mahavishnu Orchestra (an alltime Top10 band for me) on after Fillmore East and i was like "this is the same frikkin territory, maaaan". one of the first mixtapes i ever made had IMoER on after Meeting of the Spirits and made it an eternal love of mine. so, even though Whipping Post is one of a halfdozen tunes where i say "THAT is just the best song ever" after each time i listen to it, i cant argue with your choice for the top spot.

thanks for your loving & thoroughgoing tour of the Allmans - didnt think it would hold up in the wake of all the other countdowns but it did. goodonya -

I saw the Allmans three times and it should have been more. Here is what I got:

Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, PA 8/26/91

1.Hot 'Lanta

2.Statesboro Blues

3.Blue Sky

4.End Of The Line

5.Nobody Knows

6.Kind Of Bird

7.Low Down Dirty Mean

8.Melissa

9.Come On In My Kitchen

10.Midnight Rider

11.Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad

12.Hoochie Coochie Man

13.Get On With Your Life

14.In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

15.Revival

Encore:

16.Jessica

17.Whipping Post

Blues Traveller opened.

Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, PA 8/22/92

1.Don't Want You No More

3.Statesboro Blues

4.Blue Sky

5.Nobody Knows

6.Don't Keep Me Wonderin'

7.Black Hearted Woman

8.Seven Turns

9.Midnight Rider

10.Southbound

11.Melissa

12.Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad

13.Hoochie Coochie Man

14.Get On With Your Life

15.Jessica

16.Revival

Encore:

17.One Way Out

18.Dreams

19.Whipping Post

Tom Cochran opened.

Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, PA 5/25/95

Set I:

1.Don't Want You No More

3.Ain't Wastin' Time No More

4.Ramblin' Man

5.Good Clean Fun

6.Sailin' 'Cross The Devil's Sea

7.The Same Thing

8.Soulshine

9.Can't Get To Heaven on a Ten Dollar Bill

10.End Of The Line

Set II:

11.You Don't Love Me

12.Hoochie Coochie Man

13.Back Where It All Begins

14.Stormy Monday

15.I Know I Oughta Leave

16.Jessica -> 

17.Mountain Jam ->

18.Jessica

Encore:

19.One Way Out

20.Whipping Post

The 1995 show was just jaw-dropping, and I should have gone to see them more after that, but a lot of factors contributed to that not happening. First, I wasn't sure if they'd ever be able to top my show from '95. Second, Warren left soon after and I didn't expect them to be anywhere near as good without him. Third, in the late '90s I was in the doldrums of my first marriage and didn't get to many shows. Fourth, once I get separated/divorced in the early '00s, I was going to a lot of different shows and the Allmans weren't a priority because I had already seen them three times (and Phish was the only major band that I would try to see on every tour that came to the Northeast). I probably should have tried to revisit them once Warren returned, but I never got around to it. 

Wow, thanks for sharing. Those are some great setlists. 

bold choice at the top, and it immediately flashed me back to stoned arguments i had at the time. there was always more than one bud who insisted they were best as a jam band against my preference for the bluesrock tunes. i held firm cuz ABB was about the only Southern thing i liked (long story - hippie-hassled ever time i crossed the Mason-Dixon), so much so that i flew down for a job interview @ Capricorn Records in '74. got lost in Macon in my rental car and ended up in sharecropper country - which made SBronx look like Del Boca Vista - and was so thoroughly shocked that i doint remember saying a cogent word at the meeting. 

anyway, that disagreement with my buds held me against the whole instrumental aspect until somebody at a party put Mahavishnu Orchestra (an alltime Top10 band for me) on after Fillmore East and i was like "this is the same frikkin territory, maaaan". one of the first mixtapes i ever made had IMoER on after Meeting of the Spirits and made it an eternal love of mine. so, even though Whipping Post is one of a halfdozen tunes where i say "THAT is just the best song ever" after each time i listen to it, i cant argue with your choice for the top spot.

thanks for your loving & thoroughgoing tour of the Allmans - didnt think it would hold up in the wake of all the other countdowns but it did. goodonya -

Thanks for the nice words. 

In terms of Mahavishnu Orchestra, I saw John McLaughlin (with his more recent band, the 4th Dimension) in a double-billing with Jimmy Herring and the Invisible Whip (who I referenced in a few of these entries) several years ago. It was a killer show. Each band did their own set and then they came together to play a full set together as well. I already mentioned the show included "Les Brer in A Minor" and it also included "Meeting of the Spirits." 

Studio Version

Yes Yes Yes. We we separated at birth? I feel the exact same way. This is definitely my favorite ABB song and on my short list of all time favorite tunes. Excellent job with this list.

@Pip's Invitation

That ‘95 set list is awesome. 
Did you track that down using Setlist or another site?  I saw a bunch of shows but my memory is a little hazy on some and would love to revisit. 
I found it on a site called hittintheweb.com. But I think the setlist.com ABB pages are pretty detailed also.

That ‘95 show was the middle of a 5-show run at the Tower. I wish they had continued to do runs there in addition to the Beacon. The acoustics at the Tower are unbelievable and a number of officially released live albums have been recorded there. 

Audience recordings of that show exist. I had one on cassette back in the day. 

Thanks for the nice words. 

In terms of Mahavishnu Orchestra, I saw John McLaughlin (with his more recent band, the 4th Dimension) in a double-billing with Jimmy Herring and the Invisible Whip (who I referenced in a few of these entries) several years ago. It was a killer show. Each band did their own set and then they came together to play a full set together as well. I already mentioned the show included "Les Brer in A Minor" and it also included "Meeting of the Spirits." 
On the next countdown I am planning, I will have something to say about Meeting of the Spirits.

Great thread, lots of songs I haven't heard in a long time and a few I never heard, along with all my faves. Loved reading about these guys, thanks. 

37. No One to Run With (Where It All Begins – Dickey)

Studio Version

I’m a sucker for any song with a Bo Diddley beat, so I am naturally drawn to “No One to Run With.” This song was written by Dickey and his friend John Prestia in the 1980’s, but because he didn’t have as much going on musically then (the Allman Brothers were broken up at that time), he set it aside. He brought it back to the band 10 years later and it became a centerpiece for the 1994 album Where It All Begins, serving as the single release from that album and reaching #7 on the mainstream rock charts. It also was featured on the soundtrack to the movie “The Cowboy Way.” Full disclosure: I have never seen that movie, and based on the reviews I don’t plan to. Doesn’t seem like many would recommend it.

The song, on the other hand, has a lot to recommend it. I already mentioned the Bo Diddley beat. The melody on the chorus is one of my favorites and Gregg sings it really well. I have 

If I had one criticism of this song it would be that I feel like the lead guitars are holding back a little bit on the studio version. However, this was a popular one in concert (their most commonly played song among those that were brought into the lineup following the 1990s reunion), and there isn’t any holding back on live versions like this. Warren’s slide on that performance and the whole outro jam are awesome.
My all time favorite AB song, love the story it tells. Crazy LOVE the drums on this. 

Blues is one of those things ... good blues is awesome.  live blues is awesome.  but bad recorded blues is awful.

Side note  ... Check out one of my favorites ... Michael Coleman.  He died about 8 years ago.  Dude was a master.  Shake Your Booty is a phenomenal album.  Saw him in Chicago at random, and every trip back to the windy city I found where he was playing.  Just incredible sound live.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tg_bkC4jUk 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB9DQHAdGck

Hard to find much of his stuff online.  He was mostly a local.

12. One Way Out (Eat a Peach – cover)
This is one of my favorite live songs they play. I think my favorite performance of it was in 1990 in Orlando at the Cheyenne Saloon, which was a small indoor venue. It was crowded and hot inside from the body heat. I remember when this song came it felt like the saloon was shaking from the music and the audience groovin'. Here is a pic of what some of the Cheyenne Saloon looked like. The flags must have been for whatever function was going on in the pic (or Florida being Florida), and people usually stood and watched the band where those women with the cowboy hats are going around in a circle. It was a neat place, and fun seeing the ABB there. 

I read all that I missed over the last week, and I like the songs you chose and your comments. Thanks for taking us down that road that goes on forever.  🍑 🍄

One last contribution to this thread. Putting together the list inspired me to go back and take a deep dive into the rest of the material in my library with a connection to the Allman Brothers. So to close out the thread, I have put together a list of my 100 favorite songs from the greater "Allman Brothers Family." 

This was much more difficult since there is so much material out there. To try to bring some order to the list, I set the following ground rules:

1) Included tracks had to feature a former member of the Allman Brothers who performed with the band for at least a period of 2 years (so stuff featuring Warren, Derek, Chuck, etc, is all fair game, but Jimmy Herring's work with Widespread Panic  is NOT included). Furthermore, the Brother had to have a significant role in the work (which is obviously a judgment call on my part). Just as an example, though, "I Pity the Fool" is one of my favorite Tedeschi Trucks Band songs, but since it is close to being a Susan solo song and features very little Derek, I did not include that. Similarly, The Black Crowes are one of my favorite bands, but the stuff Chuck did with them is not eligible since he was mostly a supporting musician on those recordings (and obviously nothing Chuck has done with The Rolling Stones is eligible). 

2) I did not include anything Grateful Dead-related with one exception. Oteil's work with Dead and Company and Warren's work with The Dead and Phil Lesh and Friends was not eligible. The lone exception is "Patchwork Quilt." I included this because I think of it as more of a Warren solo composition. 

3) I only included songs released on albums in a group's official discography (mainly studio albums or contemporary, mass-produced live albums). So songs played in concerts released as any kind of "Instant Live" or anything like that are not included.

4) I did not include any song that was featured on the Allman Brothers list. So even though there are amazing Great Southern versions of many of Dickey's songs, or great Gov't Mule versions of songs like Soulshine, those were not eligible (for this reason, Gregg and Dickey are much less frequently represented in the list than Warren and Derek). 

The list is below. I included links to the top 25 songs. If you are interested beyond that, you will need to seek them out yourself. 

100) Glory Road – Warren Haynes and Railroad Earth (Warren) 
99) All My Friends – Gregg Allman – (Cowboy cover)
98) Reap What You Sow – Otis Rush with Duane Allman 
97) Joyful Noise – Derek Trucks Band (Derek)
96) Gonna Move – Derek Trucks Band (Derek) – (Paul Pena cover)
95) Mahjoun – Derek Trucks Band (Derek)
94) Fixin’ to Die – Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit (Oteil) – (Bukka White cover)
93) Lay Your Burden Down – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
92) Coal Tattoo – Warren Haynes and Railroad Earth (Warren) 
91) Rain in Spain – Sea Level (Chuck, Lamar, Jaimoe)
90) Thelonious Beck – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
89) Demons – Gregg Allman
88) Push Push – Herbie Mann with Duane Allman
87) Thorazine Shuffle – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
86) Birth of the Mule – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
85) Time to Confess – Gov’t Mule (Warren) 
84) Slow Happy Boys – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
83) Sahib Teri Bandi – Derek Trucks Band (Derek) – (Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan cover)
82) Far Away – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
81) Which Way Do We Run – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
80) Laugh About It – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek)
79) I Believe I’ll Make a Change – Jaimoe’s Jasssz Band (Jaimoe) – (Junior Mack/Sparks Brothers cover)
78) Yield Not to Temptation – Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit (Oteil) – (Bobby Bland cover)
77) Fallen Down – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
76) Unring the Bell – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
75) Learn How to Love – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek)
74) In My Life – Warren Haynes
73) Rollin’ Stone – Johnny Jenkins and Duane Allman – (Muddy Waters cover)
72) Revolution Come, Revolution Go – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
71) Multi-colored Lady – Gregg Allman
70) I’ll Be the One – Warren Haynes
69) I Know – Derek Trucks Band (Derek) – (Smith/Taylor cover)
68) All I Do – Derek Trucks Band (Derek)
67) Volunteered Slavery – Derek Trucks Band (Derek) – (Rahsaan Roland Kirk cover)
66) Chevrolet – Derek Trucks Band (Derek) – (Young Brothers/Memphis Minnie cover)
65) Forevermore – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
64) Compared to What – Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit (Oteil) – (Eugene McDaniels cover) 
63) Right on Time – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek) 
62) That Did It – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek) – (Pearl Woods cover)
61) I’ve Got News for You – Gregg Allman – (Ray Alfred cover)
60) Already Free – Derek Trucks Band (Derek) 
59) Mule – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
58) For My Brother – Derek Trucks Band (Derek) 
57) Days Is Almost Gone – Derek Trucks Band (Derek) 
56) Anyday – Derek and the Dominos (Duane)
55) On a Real Lonely Night – Warren Haynes Band (Warren)
54) Hey Jude – Wilson Pickett with Duane Allman – (Beatles cover)
53) Banks of the Deep End – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
52) Spanish Moon – Gov’t Mule (Warren with Derek) – (Little Feat cover)
51) Lay of the Sunflower – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
50) These Walls – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek)
49) My Only True Friend – Gregg Allman 
48) Out of the Rain – Gov’t Mule (Warren) – (Tony Joe White cover)
47) Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground – Gov’t Mule (Warren) – (Blind Willie Johnson cover)
46) Don’t Know What It Means – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek)
45) Funny Little Tragedy – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
44) Revolution – Derek Trucks Band (Derek)
43) Crash on the Levee – Derek Trucks Band (Derek) – (Bob Dylan cover)
42) Good Time Feelin’ – Dickey Betts and Great Southern (Dickey)
41) Down Don’t Bother Me – Derek Trucks Band (Derek) 
40) Bring on the Music – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
39) Blind Man in the Dark – Gov’t Mule (Warren)
38) Sweet Feelin’ – Gregg Allman Band (Gregg with Chuck) – (Clarence Carter Cover)
37) Patchwork Quilt – Gov’t Mule (Warren) – (semi-cover, Phil Lesh and Friends)
36) Your Wildest Dreams – Warren Haynes Band (Warren)
35)  Basically Frightened – Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit (Oteil)
34) John the Revelator – Gov’t Mule (Warren) – (traditional)
33) River’s Gonna Rise – Warren Haynes Band (Warren)
32) I Want More-Soul Sacrifice – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek) – (partial cover, Santana)
31) It Hurts Me Too – Gov’t Mule (Warren) – (traditional)
30) Gonna Send You Back to Georgia – Gov’t Mule (Warren with Derek) – (Hound Dog Taylor cover)
29) Queen of Hearts – Gregg Allman Band (Gregg with Chuck)
28) Man in Motion – Warren Haynes Band (Warren) 
27) Crying Over You – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek)
26) Steady Rollin’ Man – Dickey Betts and Great Southern (Dickey) – (Robert Johnson Cover)
25) Sick of My Shadow – Warren Haynes Band (Warren) 
24) These Days – Gregg Allman – (Jackson Browne cover) 
23) Layla – Derek and the Dominos (Duane) 
22) I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free – Derek Trucks Band (Derek) – (Billy Taylor cover)
21) Devil Likes It Slow – Gov’t Mule (Warren with Jimmy) 
20) Raven Black Night – Gov’t Mule (Warren) 
19) Midnight in Harlem – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek) 
18) Darling Be Home Soon – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek) – (Lovin’ Spoonful cover)
17) The Real Thing – Warren Haynes
16) Bound For Glory – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek)
15) Leavin’ Trunk – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek) – (Sleepy John Estes cover)
14) Beautifully Broken-When Doves Cry – Gov’t Mule (Warren) – (partial cover, Prince)
13) Uptight – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek with Oteil) – (Stevie Wonder cover)
12) D Minor Blues – Derek Trucks Band (Derek) 
11) B.B. King Medley – Hour Glass (Duane and Gregg) – (B.B. King cover)
10) Trane with Eternity’s Breath and St. Stephen Jams – Gov’t Mule (Warren) – (partial cover, multiple) 
9) Look on Yonder Wall – Gov’t Mule (Warren with Chuck) – (James “Beale Street” Clark cover) 
8} Have You Ever Loved a Woman – Derek and the Dominos (Duane) – (Billy Myles cover)
7) Key to the Highway – Derek and the Dominos (Duane) – (traditional) 
6) Railroad Boy – Gov’t Mule (Warren) – (traditional)
5) Sco-Mule – Gov’t Mule (Warren) 
4) Keep on Growing – Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek) – (Derek and the Dominos cover)
3) Goin’ Down Slow – Duane Allman – (St. Louis Jimmy Oden cover)
2) Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad? – Derek and the Dominos (Duane)
1) Afro-blue – Gov’t Mule (Warren with Derek and Jimmy) – (Mongo Santamaria cover)

Just a few comments on these. "Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad" is probably my second favorite Duane guitar performance, trailing only "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed." The contrast between the blazing high energy Duane on that song and the slow, soulful Duane on "Goin' Down Slow" is one of my favorite things on this list. 

Check out Victor Wooten's bass performance on "Sco-Mule." One of my favorites ever. Also check out Mike Mattison's vocals on "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free." The last verse especially just stops me in my tracks. I also love Warren's vocal on "The Real Thing." Maybe my favorite by him. 

Thanks for the recommendation. Wasn't familiar with this before. Might see about getting his live album.

And yes, would love any further discussions of blues. 
I highly recomend Christone "Kingfish" Ingram for some very transitional type Blues. Jesse Cotton Stone for someone on on the come and maybe Johnny Rawls and Zac Harmon for some soul Blues.

I might need to rethink my entry for "Jessica" with respect to the live version from An Evening With. I'm reading Chuck Leavell's autobiography Between Rock and a Home Place and he cites a quote from Butch Trucks that I had surprisingly never heard before:

"It's Dickey's name on it, but that's Chuck's song. The fact that it won a Grammy for a live version all those years later, well, it's ludicrous. I use that f***ing thing for a doorstop. Those f***ers ignored us for all those years. I don't want to sound too arrogant, but we were the most influential band, the most popular draw, with the No. 1 album at that time. Innovative. Original. These ***holes just ignored us. To get something 20 years later is pretty silly. It's almost an insult." 

Tell us how you really feel, Butch. 

BTW, in case you were wondering, the book is just ok. Some interesting stuff in it but not terribly well-written and gets kind of repetitive. There are much better books about the ABB and its members out there. 

That is not true, however, for the movie Chuck Leavell: The Tree Man. One of the most fascinating documentaries I have seen in a long time. I can't recommend it highly enough. 

Got my tickets for Gov't Mule tomorrow. Was on the fence about going but set lists for the last couple of shows have been really good so looking forward to it
A friend of mine saw them last night (or maybe the night before) in Wisconsin. She said it was a fantastic show. Trombone Shorty opened.

Have seen Gov't Mule a couple of times at the Capitol Theater in Westchester NY, always put on a great show IMHO. They do some fun covers.

Great show. Band sounded really good.

Set 1
MR. MAN
MR. HIGH AND MIGHTY
INSIDE OUTSIDE WOMAN BLUES
BROKE DOWN ON THE BRAZOS > TRIBUTARY JAM
AIN’T NO LOVE IN THE HEART OF THE CITY
THORNS OF LIFE
DRIVING RAIN
STONE COLD RAGE

Set 2
LARGER THAN LIFE > IF 6 WAS 9 > LARGER THAN LIFE
NO NEED TO SUFFER
TRANE > RUMBLE > SEX MACHINE > ST. STEPHEN JAM
IF HEARTACHES WERE NICKELS
STREET CORNER TALKING
THORAZINE SHUFFLE

E
COME ON IN MY KITCHEN > GONNA SEND YOU BACK TO GEORGIA

Was glad to hear "Broke Down on the Brazos" and "Driving Rain," both of which I have always loved. The "Trane" jam was amazing. It also included "Third Stone from the Sun," much like the version from the Roseland Ballroom album, but I think last night's "St. Stephen" part may have been even more fiery. But I would say, unexpectedly, that the unexpected highlight was "Larger Than Life." It's never been one of my favorite Mule songs but Warren was killer on it.

Users who are viewing this thread