What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brock Purdy MVP (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Locking it up today. Dak had a terrible meaningful game. Tyreke hurt. Not enough from Mahomes or Allen. Purdy is winning this. Congrats to those who got big odds anytime this year

Locking it up today. Dak had a terrible meaningful game. Tyreke hurt. Not enough from Mahomes or Allen. Purdy is winning this. Congrats to those who got big odds anytime this year
I disagree ... Several others in contention in my eyes. Dak, Allen, Goff, Tua, Hurts.

I disagree ... Several others in contention in my eyes. Dak, Allen, Goff, Tua, Hurts.
Only if Purdy gets hurt or tanks these last few weeks. They all have black marks and have been inconsistent. One could argue that Purdy and CMC should finish 1-2.

Last edited:
Um Lamar. He’s arguably doing a lot more with a lot less on the offensive side of the ball than all of the other candidates. Keep in mind that I’m not saying that Lamar should win it—but he absolutely needs and deserves to be in the conversation.

Um Lamar. He’s arguably doing a lot more with a lot less on the offensive side of the ball than all of the other candidates. Keep in mind that I’m not saying that Lamar should win it—but he absolutely needs and deserves to be in the conversation.

Lamar and Purdy face off next week, both facing each others tough defense, winner probably secures MVP. Although there have been a lot of potential MVP matchups the last month and the frontrunner has usually fallen.

Lamar and Purdy face off next week, both facing each others tough defense, winner probably secures MVP. Although there have been a lot of potential MVP matchups the last month and the frontrunner has usually fallen.
Absolutely. I think Purdy has a great chance of winning it—but a lot of people in here seem to be crowning him when there is a lot of football left. Secondly—when does strength of schedule come into play? Are we ready to crown the MVP because he led a stacked team to a win over a decimated Arizona Cardinals? While Dak may have lost his real chance of MVP today, I personally don’t think that Purdy did anything to lock it up today. It’s very possible that C-Mac strengthened his case more than Purdy.

Absolutely. I think Purdy has a great chance of winning it—but a lot of people in here seem to be crowning him when there is a lot of football left. Secondly—when does strength of schedule come into play? Are we ready to crown the MVP because he led a stacked team to a win over a decimated Arizona Cardinals? While Dak may have lost his real chance of MVP today, I personally don’t think that Purdy did anything to lock it up today. It’s very possible that C-Mac strengthened his case more than Purdy.
We just gonna ignore when Brock obliterated Dallas and Philadelphia?

We just gonna ignore when Brock obliterated Dallas and Philadelphia?
Frisco has had maybe 2-3 signature wins and they have 2-3 games where they were inexplicably bad. I can name a few teams that have a few signature wins. Secondly—go through the 49ers schedule and look at their talent. It’s no real surprise that they are where they are. I’m not hating on Purdy—the dude is a legit MVP candidate and is quite possibly the favorite. However, with that said—I think we have to be honest about the fact that he is on a stacked team that has had the luxury of playing a relatively mediocre strength of schedule. If you replaced Brock Purdy with Baker Mayfield—I would bet that the Niners still have close to as many wins as they have now. If you replaced Lamar Jackson with Baker Mayfield, the Ravens go from being contenders to maybe missing the playoffs. I’m using Baker as the example here as I consider him to be an average to above average qb. In any case, I just don‘t think that the MVP race is decided yet—and especially when the dude that everybody is crowning in here himself said that CMC is the real MVP. You replace Purdy with an average QB—the niners are still contenders. You replace CMC with an average NFL running back—and I believe the Niners drop off considerably.

How has he been doing a lot more?

He’s had a bigger hand in leading his team to the exact same record as Purdy as he doesn’t have anywhere close to the offensive talent around him. Purdy arguably has the best or one of the best receiving cores in the league in regards to top to bottom talent (aiyuk, deebo, kittle and even c-mac is one of the best pass catching rb’s in the league). Purdy also has by far the best pure running back in the league.

Lamar has led his team to the same record with a mediocre receiving core that has been missing Mark Andrews. He’s also led them to the same record with a squad of backup running backs for most of the year. Lets not forget that a very similar niners team with Jimmy Garropolo at the helm was a championship contender. Put Jimmy G at quarterback for this Ravens team and there is a great chance that they aren’t even a playoff team:

Perhaps I should have phrased it “Lamar has led his team to the same record with a LOT LESS talent around him”.

He’s had a bigger hand in leading his team to the exact same record as Purdy as he doesn’t have anywhere close to the offensive talent around him. Purdy arguably has the best or one of the best receiving cores in the league in regards to top to bottom talent (aiyuk, deebo, kittle and even c-mac is one of the best pass catching rb’s in the league). Purdy also has by far the best pure running back in the league.

Lamar has led his team to the same record with a mediocre receiving core that has been missing Mark Andrews. He’s also led them to the same record with a squad of backup running backs for most of the year. Lets not forget that a very similar niners team with Jimmy Garropolo at the helm was a championship contender. Put Jimmy G at quarterback for this Ravens team and there is a great chance that they aren’t even a playoff team:

Perhaps I should have phrased it “Lamar has led his team to the same record with a LOT LESS talent around him”.
LJax just doesn't have MVP stats. Yeah the team has been great and he plays a big part but stats are a component of the MVP award. I don't think LJax has a shot with 17 TD and 7 INT

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet but I think is worth mentioning; the NFL loves a good/positive story. Purdy was the actual last pick in the draft, which already is viewed as a big deal, aptly named Mr. Irrelevant. The fact Mr. Irrelevant is not only starting QB, but starting QB for the odds on favorite team to win the Super Bowl, leads the league in most QB stats, and is within reach of breaking 49ers franchise record for passing yards and TDs, and the NFL record for most games in a season with over a 130 passer rating,... the narrative is just too good for the NFL to not push and for voters to not jump on. Not to mention, there is also a bit of controversy/debate tied to it, just like in this thread. How much is it Purdy vs. the team? What does MVP really mean? Purdy is playing excellent, but is he that integral to the teams success? Hot button topics that will keep the the talking heads occupied and get lots of clicks online and watch time on the air. I think it's too good to pass up for the NFL/the voters who all benefit from the aforementioned clicks/airtime.

Users who are viewing this thread