What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BROWNS 2007 THREAD (1 Viewer)

I'm rooting for a Steelers matchup, no matter where. We have to slay the bully, and what better way than in the playoffs.

6-12 inches possible Saturday night into Sunday

Saturday Night: snow. Lows in the lower 20s. Chance of snow 90 percent.

Sunday: snow showers. Breezy with highs around 30. Chance of snow 90 percent.

I'm still tailgating. :lmao:
Jamal Lewis time. Looks like the snow is going to force a change in our game plan. Originally it appeared we held an advantage with our tall receiving corps over the smallish Buffalo secondary. Braylon Edwards 6'3, Joe Jurevicius is 6'5, and Tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. 6'4 over Buffalo starting safety Jim Leonhard 5'8 and right cornerback Terrance McGee 5'9 who would be matched against Jurevicius. The Bills have allowed 18 touchdown passes so if the weather permits we have to try a few jump balls. You can bet the Bills will try to stop Jamal Lewis if the weather impacts the passing game but if they load the box with strong safety Donte Whitner we'll have one WR in one-on-one coverage. I think we all were psyched to see Jam Blam and Thank you Mam 31 yards into the endzone last week. So I took at look at his numbers to see if he was coming on and he is. I then put his numbers up against DA to note any corresponding trends and found a few of interest.

Jamal had only 2 TDs in the first seven games but has 9 in the last six games. He has two of his three games of rushing over 100 yards in the last three games. Jamal had his big 216 yard rushing game in week two against the Bengals. Take out that game and Lewis rushed for only 300 yards in the other eight games earlier this season. Over the last four games Jamal has rushed for 400 yards for a neat 100 yards per game average. Forecast calls for snow Sunday.

Its not just Jamal in a vacuum, their was a trade off from DA's TD tosses to Jam's TD runs. In the six game stretch from September 16 to October 28 when DA took over as starter for Charlie Frye DA threw for a TD in every game and 16 touchdowns over that stretch and also ran for two TDs. Jamal only scored two TDs over that same stretch and also Lewis started the first game against the Steelers so he only scored twice in seven games. Over the last six games where Jamal has blown up for his 9 TDs, DA's TD numbers have gone down to 9 passing and 1 rushing TD. DA had two games where he did not throw a TD but of the four games he passed for a TD he threw for at least two.

Lewis got injured in the fifth game against the Pats. Over a five game stretch after he got hurt he only ran for 144 yards. Right now, Lewis is healthy and producing. Their is a semblance of balanced attack. In the four games that DA started which he did not attempt 30 passes the Browns are undefeated. In the eight games where DA has had to throw at least 30 passes the Browns only won only half of those games. DA has only had three games where he was picked off at least twice. The Browns lost every one of those contests. In those three contests Jamal Lewis only ran for 129 yards or 43 yards per game. Jamal rushed for 672 yards in the other 10 games where both he and DA started or ~75 yards a game. In the three game that Lewis has crested 100 yards the Browns are undefeated.

Jamal Lewis healthy and coming on strong late in the season he is helping to provide an effective running game. The magic formula appears to get our running game going and limit DA's passing attempts. Just in time for the snow and for a post season playoff surge. :lmao:

I'm still tailgating. :shrug:
Jamal Lewis time. Looks like the snow is going to force a change in our game plan. Originally it appeared we held an advantage with our tall receiving corps over the smallish Buffalo secondary. Braylon Edwards 6'3, Joe Jurevicius is 6'5, and Tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. 6'4 over Buffalo starting safety Jim Leonhard 5'8 and right cornerback Terrance McGee 5'9 who would be matched against Jurevicius. The Bills have allowed 18 touchdown passes so if the weather permits we have to try a few jump balls. You can bet the Bills will try to stop Jamal Lewis if the weather impacts the passing game but if they load the box with strong safety Donte Whitner we'll have one WR in one-on-one coverage. I think we all were psyched to see Jam Blam and Thank you Mam 31 yards into the endzone last week. So I took at look at his numbers to see if he was coming on and he is. I then put his numbers up against DA to note any corresponding trends and found a few of interest.

Jamal had only 2 TDs in the first seven games but has 9 in the last six games. He has two of his three games of rushing over 100 yards in the last three games. Jamal had his big 216 yard rushing game in week two against the Bengals. Take out that game and Lewis rushed for only 300 yards in the other eight games earlier this season. Over the last four games Jamal has rushed for 400 yards for a neat 100 yards per game average. Forecast calls for snow Sunday.

Its not just Jamal in a vacuum, their was a trade off from DA's TD tosses to Jam's TD runs. In the six game stretch from September 16 to October 28 when DA took over as starter for Charlie Frye DA threw for a TD in every game and 16 touchdowns over that stretch and also ran for two TDs. Jamal only scored two TDs over that same stretch and also Lewis started the first game against the Steelers so he only scored twice in seven games. Over the last six games where Jamal has blown up for his 9 TDs, DA's TD numbers have gone down to 9 passing and 1 rushing TD. DA had two games where he did not throw a TD but of the four games he passed for a TD he threw for at least two.

Lewis got injured in the fifth game against the Pats. Over a five game stretch after he got hurt he only ran for 144 yards. Right now, Lewis is healthy and producing. Their is a semblance of balanced attack. In the four games that DA started which he did not attempt 30 passes the Browns are undefeated. In the eight games where DA has had to throw at least 30 passes the Browns only won only half of those games. DA has only had three games where he was picked off at least twice. The Browns lost every one of those contests. In those three contests Jamal Lewis only ran for 129 yards or 43 yards per game. Jamal rushed for 672 yards in the other 10 games where both he and DA started or ~75 yards a game. In the three game that Lewis has crested 100 yards the Browns are undefeated.

Jamal Lewis healthy and coming on strong late in the season he is helping to provide an effective running game. The magic formula appears to get our running game going and limit DA's passing attempts. Just in time for the snow and for a post season playoff surge. :shrug:
Is the snow storm going to be over by game time Sunday? In other words will there be enough time to get the field cleaned? Will this storm affect the passing game wind etc?

Who do you all want to win this weekend? Jacksonville or Pittsburgh? I'm torn, do we go after Jacksonville's wild card spot or the division. The more I think about it, the more I hope Pittsburgh loses so we have a shot at the division. It could then be week 1 of the playoffs Cleveland vs Pittsburgh in Cleveland.
oh, that would be sweet. ;)
I'll root for the division, and most importantly the home playoff game, until that becomes impossible.Another question is, do you want to play at Pitt or at SD, assuming Pitt wins the division?
I want to play Pitt. Playing Pitt makes the game that much more exciting. As bad as SD has been playing, I think they are a dark horse, they have to much talent on that team, and it seems the only thing holding them back is Rivers. Our D makes all QB's look great.
Be careful what you wish for. :)

I'm still tailgating. ;)

Jamal Lewis healthy and coming on strong late in the season he is helping to provide an effective running game. The magic formula appears to get our running game going and limit DA's passing attempts. Just in time for the snow and for a post season playoff surge. :)
If in fact the Browns play on a snow covered field, it will not benefit Lewis. He takes short choppy steps and has trouble getting going when the field conditions are bad. He has been running strong of late though.

Who do you all want to win this weekend? Jacksonville or Pittsburgh? I'm torn, do we go after Jacksonville's wild card spot or the division. The more I think about it, the more I hope Pittsburgh loses so we have a shot at the division. It could then be week 1 of the playoffs Cleveland vs Pittsburgh in Cleveland.
oh, that would be sweet. :shock:
I'll root for the division, and most importantly the home playoff game, until that becomes impossible.Another question is, do you want to play at Pitt or at SD, assuming Pitt wins the division?
I want to play Pitt. Playing Pitt makes the game that much more exciting. As bad as SD has been playing, I think they are a dark horse, they have to much talent on that team, and it seems the only thing holding them back is Rivers. Our D makes all QB's look great.
Be careful what you wish for. :mellow:
I think we know exactly what we're wishing for. Thanks.

Irish said:

I'm still tailgating. :goodposting:

Jamal Lewis healthy and coming on strong late in the season he is helping to provide an effective running game. The magic formula appears to get our running game going and limit DA's passing attempts. Just in time for the snow and for a post season playoff surge. :thumbup:
If in fact the Browns play on a snow covered field, it will not benefit Lewis. He takes short choppy steps and has trouble getting going when the field conditions are bad. He has been running strong of late though.
Agreed, was just telling this to my buddy today on the phone about Jamal.As far as the passing game goes, it matters most on how breezy it actually will be, not if there is snow or rain. Strong winds will be a negative for the Browns because of the advantages Bracie mentioned.

Irish said:

I'm still tailgating. :thumbup:

Jamal Lewis healthy and coming on strong late in the season he is helping to provide an effective running game. The magic formula appears to get our running game going and limit DA's passing attempts. Just in time for the snow and for a post season playoff surge. :hophead:
Agreed, was just telling this to my buddy today on the phone about Jamal.As far as the passing game goes, it matters most on how breezy it actually will be, not if there is snow or rain. Strong winds will be a negative for the Browns because of the advantages Bracie mentioned.
Wouldn't short choppy steps give you better footing during poor field conditions?

If everything goes Cleveland's way this weekend, might we see a lot of Jamey Wright in week 16 vs. CINCI?
Maybe even Jason Wright.
Wouldn't short choppy steps give you better footing during poor field conditions?
That's what I was thinking too. Besides he played in Balt so he's no stranger to the snow and I don't recall the Ravens switching to another back because Jamal wasn't getting it done in bad weather.

Irish said:

I'm still tailgating. :lmao:

Jamal Lewis healthy and coming on strong late in the season he is helping to provide an effective running game. The magic formula appears to get our running game going and limit DA's passing attempts. Just in time for the snow and for a post season playoff surge. :shrug:
Not sure, maybe. We're commenting on him getting going, hitting the hole quick/hard. If you can't get going, does it really matter how good your footing is in regards to slippage/cutting?Anyways, we're all probably blowing this out of proportion. JLew should be fine. I heard 4-8 inches this morning, but we won't know for sure until tomorrow.

So what about Jamey Wright possibilities in week 16?Feed me.
Did they sign somebody new? Eric WrightKenny WrightJason Wright and now Jamey Wright?
I'm sure we're talking RB here since this is the shark pool.If the Browns clinch a spot this week with a win and a Titans loss, I think Wright will still have little value in week 16, maybe a solid half worth of play week 17. The Browns will still be trying to win the division, which the Steelers cannot wrap up this week if the Browns win. Also, Jax is in the sights for the 5-seed, although I'm not sure that matters much unless the Browns want to pick their opponent (doubtful).

I don't think the Browns can afford to rest anyone. Even if they clinch, they need to stay sharp by playing.

It's funny that we're actually talking about the words "clinch" and "rest" with the Browns. :thumbup:

Kosar said:
I don't think the Browns can afford to rest anyone. Even if they clinch, they need to stay sharp by playing.It's funny that we're actually talking about the words "clinch" and "rest" with the Browns. :thumbup:
i know. seems like with the way everything else has gone, it would go down to the wire week 17 trying to get in.

been thinking about the game.

if the weather is going to be as bad as it's supposed to be (still clear right now, calm before the proverbial storm, i guess?), i think the game will come down to one thing:

turnovers. as cliche as it sounds, i think this will be the difference. we could see a game where neither offense can get much going, with lots of punts.

a single play, maybe a sack of a quarterback with the ball squirting out, and being returned for a touchdown could be huge.

been thinking about the game.if the weather is going to be as bad as it's supposed to be (still clear right now, calm before the proverbial storm, i guess?), i think the game will come down to one thing:turnovers. as cliche as it sounds, i think this will be the difference. we could see a game where neither offense can get much going, with lots of punts.a single play, maybe a sack of a quarterback with the ball squirting out, and being returned for a touchdown could be huge.
What a great game, and a great win, even though they had to give us the heart attack once again!Amazingly, no turnovers in this game. Unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I move for banning Irish from making any more Browns-related analysis before games. :P :confused:

I move for banning Irish from making any more Browns-related analysis before games. :o :own3d:
Jamal and the OLine just wore the #### out of the Bills defense. I think he had 10+ carries in the 1st Q alone and didn't do much on them. Then he was nails.

Like the focus:

"Our playoff game is Cincinnati," insisted linebacker Willie McGinest, referring to next week's road assignment.
Trot Nixon of the Browns, except Willie plays more (and better of late imo).How many times was there a big play yesterday and when they focused in through the snow, it was none other than Andra Davis? Glad to see him looking like his old self. He was in the backfield all day causing havoc.

I move for banning Irish from making any more Browns-related analysis before games. :no: :bye:
:yucky: I was thinking the exact opposite. That his short steps would be perfect for bad weather.

Like the focus:

"Our playoff game is Cincinnati," insisted linebacker Willie McGinest, referring to next week's road assignment.
Trot Nixon of the Browns, except Willie plays more (and better of late imo).How many times was there a big play yesterday and when they focused in through the snow, it was none other than Andra Davis? Glad to see him looking like his old self. He was in the backfield all day causing havoc.
His best game of the year IMO. Actually the DLine played decent as well. Once again, there was very little pressure on the opposing QB. Good thing the weather was bad. Not getting close to the QB helped them stuff the run though.

Good luck Browns fans. As a Bills fan we both have to be happy that we have a meaningful game in December. I'm making the trip up to Cleveland with a group to watch. While I'm a huge Bills fan, I wish I was more optimistic. I think we should be able to stop Jamal Lewis if our D can split their gaps but you guys have a great O-line. I'm more worried about you guys picking up easy third downs as the Bills have one of the worst in NFL history actually. I think Winslow is going to tear us apart and Edwards is going to destroy McGee. Our special teams has been so poor because the rash of injuries. If we have any chance we are going to need both Lynch and Jackson to pound the ball and sustain long drives to keep the ball away from you. Trent Edwards has to do well in the cold and hit his touch passes and tightends to hopefully set up Evans and Parrish downfield. Hopefully it's a great game. I'm sitting way up in the 500's somewhere.
:shrug: Get down there early for some good pre game festivities.
I'll be there at 8am just like in Buffalo. I figured you guys knew how to tailgate just as well as us.I was very dissapointed at the Steelers tailgate. I went to the Week 2 game there. There was no place to go to the bathroom. I like the woods in Buffalo much easier. The food and posture of the Steelers fans wasn't nearly as crazy as we get (tailgated in the lot next to the Pirates stadium)Hopefully I don't get to much crap wearing my OJ Simpson or Posluzney or Lynch jersey. I'm just there to root on my team and hope for an upset because as a season ticket holder the past 5 seasons this is the first time we have a meaninful game above .500
:confused:

been thinking about the game.if the weather is going to be as bad as it's supposed to be (still clear right now, calm before the proverbial storm, i guess?), i think the game will come down to one thing:turnovers. as cliche as it sounds, i think this will be the difference. we could see a game where neither offense can get much going, with lots of punts.a single play, maybe a sack of a quarterback with the ball squirting out, and being returned for a touchdown could be huge.
What a great game, and a great win, even though they had to give us the heart attack once again!Amazingly, no turnovers in this game. Unbelievable.
well, there was that botched punt for a safety, but that could've had nothing to do with the weather.oh, and i'm pretty sure i was starting to have a heart attack too at the end.

did anybody see the Browns' opponents for next year? could be a pretty tough schedule:

HOME:

Houston Texans

Indianapolis Colts

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

AFC West

AWAY:

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Redskins

AFC East

Oh yeah...IT'S MID-DECEMBER AND THE CLEVELAND BROWNS ARE IN 1ST PLACE!!!
In before Steeler fan that will remind you they have the tie breaker.Should be an interesting two weeks though. I could easily see both teams winning out. If you knew one of these teams would lose one game, and I had to guess at which, I'd say the Steelers.Short week @STL, healthy STL offense + @BALis tougher than@CIN + vSFThe playoff home game is now inching into our sites, which was nowhere near thinkable a two weeks ago (or even after the 2nd Pitt game).

The Browns still need to finish a game they are leading. This heart attack stuff has got to stop with two games remaining. I don't care how bad Cinci and SF are playing, they cannot give up the plays they have been giving up at the end of the game. They should be in sole possession of 1st place, but let the Steelers come back and beat them a few weeks ago. They did the same thing with the Raiders. They've got to finish these games off and not allow their opponents a second chance at snatching victory from the hands of defeat.

I love this team! They played well in the bad weather, but the ending was enough to make me feel uneasy. If they can put Cinci and SF away, and keep it that way, they will be better prepared for the playoff games that ARE coming up.

did anybody see the Browns' opponents for next year? could be a pretty tough schedule:HOME: Houston Texans Indianapolis Colts Dallas Cowboys New York Giants AFC West AWAY:Jacksonville Jaguars Tennessee Titans Philadelphia Eagles Washington Redskins AFC East
NFC E > NFC WAFC S > AFC ESo, yeah I agree. I think we match up well with most of those teams. We also avoid NE and SD if Pitt wins the division this year.

The Browns still need to finish a game they are leading. This heart attack stuff has got to stop with two games remaining. I don't care how bad Cinci and SF are playing, they cannot give up the plays they have been giving up at the end of the game. They should be in sole possession of 1st place, but let the Steelers come back and beat them a few weeks ago. They did the same thing with the Raiders. They've got to finish these games off and not allow their opponents a second chance at snatching victory from the hands of defeat.I love this team! They played well in the bad weather, but the ending was enough to make me feel uneasy. If they can put Cinci and SF away, and keep it that way, they will be better prepared for the playoff games that ARE coming up.
true, but i think they are starting to learn these lessons. aside from a few veterans (who are a bit long in the tooth) most of these guys have never won much before.at least the Buffalo game they didn't get a bunch of stupid penalties to allow the Bills back into it.

congrats Browns fans...no other fans in the world deserve some good news more that you guys...Hope to see you in the playoffs.

The Browns still need to finish a game they are leading. This heart attack stuff has got to stop with two games remaining. I don't care how bad Cinci and SF are playing, they cannot give up the plays they have been giving up at the end of the game. They should be in sole possession of 1st place, but let the Steelers come back and beat them a few weeks ago. They did the same thing with the Raiders. They've got to finish these games off and not allow their opponents a second chance at snatching victory from the hands of defeat.

I love this team! They played well in the bad weather, but the ending was enough to make me feel uneasy. If they can put Cinci and SF away, and keep it that way, they will be better prepared for the playoff games that ARE coming up.
true, but i think they are starting to learn these lessons. aside from a few veterans (who are a bit long in the tooth) most of these guys have never won much before.at least the Buffalo game they didn't get a bunch of stupid penalties to allow the Bills back into it.
True on the bolded part, which was a nice change this week.I think the vets need to instill some fear into the younger guys to get them to play harder and not allow those late long completed passes or stupid penalties. The Cinci games scares me the most out of the final two games, as they are not playing at home. We can't allow 85 and Housh to get behind our DB's late in the game if it is a close game.

The best thing about yesterday's game was not having to watch Daven Holly give up completion after completion.

Like the focus:

I couldn't believe that was No. 54 making those plays. Awesome.

been thinking about the game.

if the weather is going to be as bad as it's supposed to be (still clear right now, calm before the proverbial storm, i guess?), i think the game will come down to one thing:

turnovers. as cliche as it sounds, i think this will be the difference. we could see a game where neither offense can get much going, with lots of punts.

a single play, maybe a sack of a quarterback with the ball squirting out, and being returned for a touchdown could be huge.
well, there was that botched punt for a safety, but that could've had nothing to do with the weather.oh, and i'm pretty sure i was starting to have a heart attack too at the end.
True, but that play wasn't technically a turnover:Interesting tid-bit here:

No touchdowns, no turnovers

Sunday's low scoring affair also marked just the third time in NFL history that a game had no touchdowns and no turnovers. Strangely, the Bills were part of one of the others as well. Their 9-6 win over Indianapolis in 1997 also had no touchdowns and no turnovers. The only other game was a 6-3 New England win over Miami in 1988.

Users who are viewing this thread