What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Business TravelGuys (3 Viewers)

Making a career change soon and will need to do lots of short trips in suit attire. Anyone have a garment bag for suits they like for travel? Also, the new place seems to love chartered plane travel. Pretty excited about that part.
LOOK AT YOU!!
Haha. I'm sure I'll be with the pleebs at the big airport plenty.
there's a lovely middle ground called JSX that is just the best airline ever.

Making a career change soon and will need to do lots of short trips in suit attire. Anyone have a garment bag for suits they like for travel? Also, the new place seems to love chartered plane travel. Pretty excited about that part.
LOOK AT YOU!!
Haha. I'm sure I'll be with the pleebs at the big airport plenty.
there's a lovely middle ground called JSX that is just the best airline ever.

Wow, never heard of that...looks pretty sweet.

You should practice working the phrase "wheels up" into conversation.

"Hey, yeah, call me tomorrow, but make it before 12, because I'm wheels up at 12:30"

There's never a bad time to let people know you have a private flight scheduled.

Ok... so... garment bags for one- or two-day suit travel. Carry-on or smaller. Anyone have recommendations?

My earlier question seems to have gotten off track. LOL

Ok... so... garment bags for one- or two-day suit travel. Carry-on or smaller. Anyone have recommendations?

I generally just use the cheap bag that Indochino sends with the suit, carry it, and ask the flight attendant to hang it in the front closet. All that goes in it is suit pants and jacket. Everything else just in my regular carry on which has dress shirt, evening clothes, gym clothes, dress shoes, gym shoes, etc.

ETA: sometimes I literally just carry the jacket through airport on my arm and ask FA to hang that. Suit pants nicely rolled in the carry on in that case.

I generally just use the cheap bag that Indochino sends with the suit, carry it, and ask the flight attendant to hang it in the front closet. All that goes in it is suit pants and jacket. Everything else just in my regular carry on which has dress shirt, evening clothes, gym clothes, dress shoes, gym shoes, etc.

ETA: sometimes I literally just carry the jacket through airport on my arm and ask FA to hang that. Suit pants nicely rolled in the carry on in that case.
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense and is actually something I found on the innerweb. Wear the jacket and/or the suit on both flights. Use the carry-on for everything else.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense and is actually something I found on the innerweb. Wear the jacket and/or the suit on both flights. Use the carry-on for everything else.
Yeah I try hard not to wear it because:
1. I'm a messy eater
2. I like to travel in gym shorts and be uber comfy
3. Rolling the pants keeps them nice and fresh looking, and carry/hang the jacket has always worked in my ~6 years doing this

I'm looking for one also. Most of my trips don't require more than one suit, but periodically, I'll have an extended conference where I will bring 2-3. I will then put them in the garment bag so my other suitcase can carry the 2-3 pairs of size 13 :pickle:shoes I need for the trip.

On a related note, I'm interested in hearing more about your experiences @Instinctive with Indochina. I had a former co-worker recommend them to me but I have been too lazy to follow up. I have a few upcoming conferences, and I will need an extra suit or two, so I was looking at my options. Have used Suit Supply in the past. They are fine, but the Indochina option sounds interesting also.

I'm looking for one also. Most of my trips don't require more than one suit, but periodically, I'll have an extended conference where I will bring 2-3. I will then put them in the garment bag so my other suitcase can carry the 2-3 pairs of size 13 :pickle:shoes I need for the trip.

On a related note, I'm interested in hearing more about your experiences @Instinctive with Indochina. I had a former co-worker recommend them to me but I have been too lazy to follow up. I have a few upcoming conferences, and I will need an extra suit or two, so I was looking at my options. Have used Suit Supply in the past. They are fine, but the Indochina option sounds interesting also.
freaking love Indchino. You need a little lead time (6 weeks i think?). I have used them twice:

1. I did all measurements at home with my fiancee - wedding suit, two nice jackets for new job starting that year, normal blue suit
2. I did a round last year for a couple more casual jackets, a more casual suit, and a more woolen winter suit because i spend more time needing to wear suits these days as I get more senior. For this, i went into one of their little shops and had them update my measurements and i also got to be more hands on, feel the fabrics, etc - i was being picky to get something very breathable for TX and DC summers so wanted more hands on. Took a little over an hour.

Have had zero issues with durability, love the fit (also makes me feel great that 6 year old pre-wedding purchase suits still fit HAHA), customer service has always been great (one in part two the jacket felt a little off so i took it back in and the guy was like "well it looks like they did make it right, but nobody should have you in an unstructured shoulder so I'm gonna get this remade anyway".

Very very pleased. If you do go that way also appreciate if you DM me i think they still do a referral thing that gives you an intro discount and me some credit. Check to see if there's a better intro offer but if not, would love to share my code :)

freaking love Indchino. You need a little lead time (6 weeks i think?). I have used them twice:

1. I did all measurements at home with my fiancee - wedding suit, two nice jackets for new job starting that year, normal blue suit
2. I did a round last year for a couple more casual jackets, a more casual suit, and a more woolen winter suit because i spend more time needing to wear suits these days as I get more senior. For this, i went into one of their little shops and had them update my measurements and i also got to be more hands on, feel the fabrics, etc - i was being picky to get something very breathable for TX and DC summers so wanted more hands on. Took a little over an hour.

Have had zero issues with durability, love the fit (also makes me feel great that 6 year old pre-wedding purchase suits still fit HAHA), customer service has always been great (one in part two the jacket felt a little off so i took it back in and the guy was like "well it looks like they did make it right, but nobody should have you in an unstructured shoulder so I'm gonna get this remade anyway".

Very very pleased. If you do go that way also appreciate if you DM me i think they still do a referral thing that gives you an intro discount and me some credit. Check to see if there's a better intro offer but if not, would love to share my code :)
Just made an appointment for measurements this Saturday. Feel free to share the code via PM. I'll give you props!

I'll take the code too. I'll be refreshing my suits/jackets locally soon, but may use Indochino for some additional.

Sidenote, would like to know what fabrics you chose for DC/TX summers.

I'll take the code too. I'll be refreshing my suits/jackets locally soon, but may use Indochino for some additional.

Sidenote, would like to know what fabrics you chose for DC/TX summers.
I snagged stuff based on fabric weight (the ones i got aren't made anymore i don't think, their collections change year to year)

Key here is fabric weight. Mine were both around 230-250. Both like 95/5, one's 5% was cashmere, one spandex. I think my wool light blue winter version is some discontinued one from 2018, but the weight on it was like 400.

It was really worth it for me to touch them. because multiple weights around 200 felt really different based on wool vs cotton and what was mixed in.

Are you guys all east coast bankers? I don't think I've seen a suit in a meeting in 10 years. And do you wear ties as well? Not meant as a diss at all, I bet you all look sharp as hell!

Of course I'm west coast based and have spent my career in tech sales, but even my customers and prospects, across industries and often up to the SVP/C-level almost never have suits let alone sport coats. Only exception I can think of is banking, and I guess I just haven't had a banking prospect or customer in my patch for a while.

Related note with more trips coming up this year (the above plus trips to Kona and Guadalajara in the Fall) I finally bit the bullet and got the AMEX Platinum Card today, largely for access to Centurion lounges. Flying out of a regional airport now I have to use a couple of different airlines and usually have to connect through SEA, DEN, IAH, LAX, or SFO, and they have locations in each of those. I also tend to purposefully schedule 2-3 hour layovers as too many times I've missed a connection home with so few daily options into EUG, so it'll be nice to be able to take advantage of those.

Sitting in the PHX lounge now after spending a couple of hours in one in DEN yesterday - I can't believe I've traveled all these years without lounge access!

Are you guys all east coast bankers? I don't think I've seen a suit in a meeting in 10 years. And do you wear ties as well? Not meant as a diss at all, I bet you all look sharp as hell!

Of course I'm west coast based and have spent my career in tech sales, but even my customers and prospects, across industries and often up to the SVP/C-level almost never have suits let alone sport coats. Only exception I can think of is banking, and I guess I just haven't had a banking prospect or customer in my patch for a while.
I work as a management consultant. I do the vast majority of my work with the DoD, and the rest with F100-500 firms. I am generally meeting with folks who are at least an 0-5, often have a star, or are an SES. And private sector the core client is almost always someone in the C-suite (and then day to day with an n-1 or 2 team). So when we do big briefs, readouts, etc - I'm generally in a suit.

It would be odd and looked on very poorly to meet with an admiral on a workday on base and not wear a suit. And it's required at the Pentagon (or so I've always thought, and never seen someone not in uniform or in a suit there).

Banking seems like a nightmare. Hours like law. Which also - I think you have to wear a suit to court appearances.

ETA: far more common is the day to day work, where I prefer jeans but sometimes wear slacks, and generally like to have a suit jacket to dress it up as needed.

Anyone's company use Navan?

My company is migrating over to them for all business travel.

I've been using a corporate AMEX and ExpenseWire for about 3-4 years now and have gotten used to the combo working fairly well, but I'm being told Navan is going to simplify things even more.

I hate change though. :lol:

We do, it's fine. Kind of annoying to have a separate expense solution, we use Coupa for that, but it does integrate and bring over the receipts for what you book in Navan. Not sure if Navan has it's own expense functionality and we just don't use it.

Our company has rolled out the Navan rewards program, which encourages you to pick cheaper hotel options in exchange for awards dollars you can use to book personal hotel travel. But they're like $2-$10 a stay usually, so you'd have to travel a lot for it to make it worth anything. Notwithstanding 6 trips over the next 6 weeks (PHX, SF, SF, Durham, Jacksonville, Cancun), I'm usually about a twice a quarter traveller.
To the bolded, it does, and that's the main reason we're switching over to it.

For those of us with corporate AMEX cards, our charges would auto-import into ExpenseWire and I would just have to upload receipts to back up the expense, and then assign it to a project (or projects).

But it sounds like we won't even have to keep our receipts with Navan... it'll all be integrated/seamless.
We have Rydoo for expenses, and it is SO SLOW - I feel for my EA because a year and a half ago doing them myself I hated. She's amazing very grateful she will do them for me. It does integrate into the corporate AmEx and autopopulate, it's just edits that always seem super laggy.

We only need receipts for certain things - hotel folios and anything that isn't a restaurant/bar, car rental, or other transit (parking, uber, etc). Basically means if you want to grab groceries and eat a little healthier at hotel you need a receipt.
I work for a tax credit syndicator... meaning we line up investors and owners of affordable housing. We have like 20+ funds that we have to assign charges to, and within them, projects that we visit. When I didn't have the corporate AMEX that autopopulated to our expense report system, it would take me a good 2 hours to do an expense report. The AMEX was a game-changer and cut that time in half or more. I would still have to collect receipts, sometimes having to go back to hotel websites to retrieve folios, take pics of restaurant and gas receipts and email to myself.... kind of a pain.

This Navan system reportedly has everything integrated and receipts won't be necessary. Just use the Navan Visa card and then go online and assign it a fund/project.

I’ve had a corporate Amex before, and it was indeed super convenient for expenses. But I also got no miles/points/cash back at all. I can see at some point that tradeoff might be worth it. But much like “unlimited vacation”, a corporate card is usually used because it ultimately benefits the company, not the employee.
When I first started at this company we weren't traveling at all (Covid), but then we eventually started doing a bit and I was using my personal credit card. But it was a pain in the butt to reconcile everything, get reimbursed, pay my credit card payment in relation to business expenses, etc.

It was just easier to have the corporate AMEX. It was integrated into our expense report provider and I just went in and matched up charges with the projects I was visiting and would upload a receipt.

I still have all of the rewards programs (airlines, hotels, rental cars). Just not getting credit card points. The tradeoff for me is worth it.

Yeah I try hard not to wear it because:
1. I'm a messy eater
2. I like to travel in gym shorts and be uber comfy
3. Rolling the pants keeps them nice and fresh looking, and carry/hang the jacket has always worked in my ~6 years doing this
If I'm not visiting a project site the day I travel, I am all about joggers, slip on Sketcher-type shoes and a t-shirt (and hat). If I'm visiting a site, it's jeans, polo and dress tennies.

I definitely love being as comfortable as possible while on a plane.

West coast construction risk management here. I haven't put a suit on except for a wedding or job interview in over a decade. I hate how stuffy they feel. The next time I wear one I'll probably be in a wood bed. :unsure:

West coast construction risk management here. I haven't put a suit on except for a wedding or job interview in over a decade. I hate how stuffy they feel. The next time I wear one I'll probably be in a wood bed.

I wore one to a Zoom job interview about 5 years ago. I hadn't interviewed in 10 years and didn't know if I should or not, so figured better safe than sorry.

Of course after I got the job, my Sales Director ribbed me a little about it! "I appreciated the effort, but that was unnecessary!". Funny follow up was that we finally met in person a few weeks later and right before I got the offer. I had run a 100K trail race that weekend and my feet were all blistered and messed up so I couldn't get shoes on, had to wear slides. I gave him a heads up and asked for forgiveness, and he loved telling that story to others during my time there!

I am in banking. Transitioning to a role that will include coast to coast board and industry group presentations. The current minimum dress seems to be suit/blazer no tie. But it definitely varies geographically. The old guard in banking are still wearing white (or occasionally blue) shirts, with ties, and dark suits. The younger guard (myself included) tend to opt for the blazer/suit in more modern colors, with no tie, as a compromise. It continues to loosen as well. Some banks wear nothing more than polos and chinos. Some wear polos with jeans and boots.

I don't mind wearing suits. I don't like ties.

Damn straight I look sharp as hell! :blush:

I attend a lot of events and conferences and I will usually wear a suit to most of them. Usually no tie, but if I'm giving a presentation or attending a formal dinner, I'll wear it. I'm involved in high-end, luxury travel, so the dress code for many events tends to be a step or two above casual business attire.

Still looking for a good garment bag...

OK, two trips booked using the Navan system and I have to say it's not half bad. The real benefit will come once the expense report is generated, because all of the "splitting" is done on the front end, and any charge I make for the "trip" once it's set up with splitting things up by project is automatically split.

Searching for flights is easy, same with rental car. Hotel searches are a little cumbersome but not terrible.

Got two Texas trips planned in the next month or so... San Antonio (and thereabouts) for 3 nights in May and then Dallas (and thereabouts) for 2 in June.

OK, two trips booked using the Navan system and I have to say it's not half bad. The real benefit will come once the expense report is generated, because all of the "splitting" is done on the front end, and any charge I make for the "trip" once it's set up with splitting things up by project is automatically split.

Searching for flights is easy, same with rental car. Hotel searches are a little cumbersome but not terrible.

Got two Texas trips planned in the next month or so... San Antonio (and thereabouts) for 3 nights in May and then Dallas (and thereabouts) for 2 in June.

Yeah it's pretty annoying that we use Coupa for expenses instead of Navan's built in functionality. And I agree, Navan's UI is pretty easy use.

FWIW - California has a proposed bill to force CLEAR to get their own security lines and not "cut" in front of TSA Pre-Check customers.

Well that would suck....SFO and SMF are the reasons I got Clear in the first place. I don't even have it (or need it) at the home airport here in EUG.

FWIW - California has a proposed bill to force CLEAR to get their own security lines and not "cut" in front of TSA Pre-Check customers.

Well that would suck....SFO and SMF are the reasons I got Clear in the first place. I don't even have it (or need it) at the home airport here in EUG.
I mean if the reasoning "lets wealthier people skip the line" is true, it's idiotic and so wildly on brand for California as to be laughable.

If digging deeper it's more about the obnoxious logistical challenge and the fact that it seems to constantly clog the TSA lines, then that makes way more sense.

The current set up is pretty silly. They cordon them off then walk them to the front like they are going to the bottle service section of the club :lol:

At least be a little more subtle about it.

The current set up is pretty silly. They cordon them off then walk them to the front like they are going to the bottle service section of the club :lol:

Next, California will ban first class because it lets wealthier people be more comfortable on the flight. And they board first and everyone else walks by them, which isn't very subtle.

Well that's just dumb. I'm far from wealthy but when you travel a lot, it's worth the fee and my company allowed me to expense it. The issue I have with it is my primary airport in Orlando is starting to have really long lines in clear. Too many people have it.

Well that's just dumb. I'm far from wealthy but when you travel a lot, it's worth the fee and my company allowed me to expense it. The issue I have with it is my primary airport in Orlando is starting to have really long lines in clear. Too many people have it.

I've stopped using CLEAR in a lot of airports because the regular TSA precheck line ends up being quicker.

Next, California will ban first class because it lets wealthier people be more comfortable on the flight. And they board first and everyone else walks by them, which isn't very subtle.

Is CLEAR some status symbol? I wasn’t aware.

I've stopped using CLEAR in a lot of airports because the regular TSA precheck line ends up being quicker.

Yeah totally depends on the airport, it seems. I only signed up because I was stuck in a TSA line at SMF that was barely moving, while the Clear people were cutting to the front. I was in danger of missing my flight so I ran over and signed up for the trial, and then found out that my AMEX covers the annual fee so I kept it.

Leave it to CA to hone in on the issues that are truly making a difference :thumbup:

I kid...sorta. Never understood the CLEAR line thing. I have Pre-Check and it's fine for my limited travel (once or twice a quarter). I kinda loathe air travel these days because it's just so miserable an experience but if you know what to expect and come prepared you can at least make it through the really ****ty parts without wanting to commit mass murder.

Leave it to CA to hone in on the issues that are truly making a difference :thumbup:

I kid...sorta. Never understood the CLEAR line thing. I have Pre-Check and it's fine for my limited travel (once or twice a quarter). I kinda loathe air travel these days because it's just so miserable an experience but if you know what to expect and come prepared you can at least make it through the really ****ty parts without wanting to commit mass murder.
TSA PreCheck (or CLEAR, I imagine) are absolute musts if you travel more than a couple times a year. I don't loathe air travel only because I relish the opportunity to go out and see the rest of the country once or twice a month. Had I not signed up for PreCheck I'd be less enthusiastic about it. Having to stand in line for maybe 5 minutes tops and then not take shoes/belt off and not have to pull all my electronics out is huge. It affords me the time to sit at the gate and catch up on email/social media. Best $75 I've ever spent even with my company not allowing us to expense it.

TSA PreCheck (or CLEAR, I imagine) are absolute musts if you travel more than a couple times a year. I don't loathe air travel only because I relish the opportunity to go out and see the rest of the country once or twice a month. Had I not signed up for PreCheck I'd be less enthusiastic about it. Having to stand in line for maybe 5 minutes tops and then not take shoes/belt off and not have to pull all my electronics out is huge. It affords me the time to sit at the gate and catch up on email/social media. Best $75 I've ever spent even with my company not allowing us to expense it.
I tell anybody that will listen that it's a life changing event if you've had to schlep through plebe security lines. It's like traveling in the before time when whole families would meet wear travelers at the gate as they exited planes and you could smoke on the other side of the curtain :lmao:

I tell anybody that will listen that it's a life changing event if you've had to schlep through plebe security lines. It's like traveling in the before time when whole families would meet wear travelers at the gate as they exited planes and you could smoke on the other side of the curtain :lmao:
Yeah Global Entry, which includes precheck, is a lifechanger. If for no other reason than in precheck I don't have to take all 3 laptops and phones and put them in separate bins. It's funny you use the time to be at the gate - I mostly use it to spend the absolute minimum amount of airport time I can. My typical goal is to get out of the car and not stop moving or sit down again until I am on the plane.

Yeah Global Entry, which includes precheck, is a lifechanger. If for no other reason than in precheck I don't have to take all 3 laptops and phones and put them in separate bins. It's funny you use the time to be at the gate - I mostly use it to spend the absolute minimum amount of airport time I can. My typical goal is to get out of the car and not stop moving or sit down again until I am on the plane.
I used to carry my personal Chromebook along with my work laptop AND iPad. Since dropped the Chromebook out of the equation as I feel OK doing more "personal" things (ie, this forum) on my work laptop. But yeah, not having to pull the laptop and iPad out along with the shoes going off is a game-changer for sure.

And I guess my anxiety gets the best of me when it comes to timing. I typically am on the first flight out of Orange County (they have an overnight curfew, so the first planes take off at 7am), so that means I'm up at 4:30am or so for those trips. I could probably wake up an hour earlier and still be OK, but I'd just rather be early and not have to scramble to find a parking spot (not always easy at this particular airport) and make it through TSA and get to the gate. I'd rather get a Vitamin Water, catch up on email, make sure my Out-of-Office is on, etc.

I used to carry my personal Chromebook along with my work laptop AND iPad. Since dropped the Chromebook out of the equation as I feel OK doing more "personal" things (ie, this forum) on my work laptop. But yeah, not having to pull the laptop and iPad out along with the shoes going off is a game-changer for sure.

And I guess my anxiety gets the best of me when it comes to timing. I typically am on the first flight out of Orange County (they have an overnight curfew, so the first planes take off at 7am), so that means I'm up at 4:30am or so for those trips. I could probably wake up an hour earlier and still be OK, but I'd just rather be early and not have to scramble to find a parking spot (not always easy at this particular airport) and make it through TSA and get to the gate. I'd rather get a Vitamin Water, catch up on email, make sure my Out-of-Office is on, etc.
Oh yeah - tons of variables involved. Like if I miss a flight, I'll just go to the lounge and take the next one. I aim to miss around 5% of flights. Anything less and I'm surely spending too much time getting to airports early. And I am always ubering, never driving myself.

For DCA, I have the timing down so good that I know when to leave the office to within 5 minutes to get there, through security, buy a beef stick and bottle of water, snag a rice bowl or salad, and get a five guys milkshake right before walking on the plane. A weekly Wed/Th ritual for a week of getting stuff done. LOL.

In my personal life, I get there way earlier. Treat the wife to the lounge experience and feel all special, etc.

Nobody here in Eugene has precheck, it's amazing. Totally agree, if you travel even just 2 or more times a year, it's worth it. In the morning the regular security line can be 100+ people, while there are never more than 2-3 in the precheck line.

Oh yeah - tons of variables involved. Like if I miss a flight, I'll just go to the lounge and take the next one. I aim to miss around 5% of flights. Anything less and I'm surely spending too much time getting to airports early. And I am always ubering, never driving myself.

For DCA, I have the timing down so good that I know when to leave the office to within 5 minutes to get there, through security, buy a beef stick and bottle of water, snag a rice bowl or salad, and get a five guys milkshake right before walking on the plane. A weekly Wed/Th ritual for a week of getting stuff done. LOL.

In my personal life, I get there way earlier. Treat the wife to the lounge experience and feel all special, etc.

I'm 27-30 minutes from driveway to gate, depending on where I park if I drive myself. If an afternoon/evening flight I like to get there early enough to grab a cocktail, mornings I try to time it right as boarding starts.

Flying out of a regional airport I can't take the risk of missing flights, there just aren't many backup options. I've been stranded overnight a couple of times trying to get home because I missed a connection.

I don't have the status (yet) to be lounge-worthy.:cry: My boss has an AMEX that gets us into some when we travel together but that is rare.

I don't have the status (yet) to be lounge-worthy.:cry: My boss has an AMEX that gets us into some when we travel together but that is rare.
Nice. We have priority pass from a credit card, but usually its Admirals Club. I think it's like the 250k or 400k LP reward each year. Somewhere between 2-5 flights/week often long ones add up quick!

Nice. We have priority pass from a credit card, but usually its Admirals Club. I think it's like the 250k or 400k LP reward each year. Somewhere between 2-5 flights/week often long ones add up quick!
Yeah I don't travel enough to be even close to that. I'm 1 or 2 trips a month. Granted many of my miles are on United so I'm racking up points with them.

I'm telling you guys the AMEX Platinum is worth the annual fee, and I'm also typically just a 1-2 trips a month traveler. But I can't stick to one airline flying out of a regional, and don't travel enough to get status on any one airline anyway, so the only way to get lounge access is through a card. It's a hefty $695 annual fee, but I've already easily consumed $300 worth of food and drink in the past 5-6 weeks (I've had more trips than normal), and have a couple of long layovers (lounge visits) coming up in May. Along with that, each year you get:
  • $240 in streaming credits (will use all of this)
  • $189 CLEAR credit (same)
  • $200 Uber credits (as it's monthly, I may only use $150ish)
  • $100 Global Entry or PreCheck (every 4 years)
  • $200 hotel credit (but only for their collections, I probably won't use this one)
  • $200 airline fee credit (will probably only realistically use $50-$100 of this each year, it's for incidental fees like wifi and checking luggage, and only on 1 airline that you choose)
AMEX also offers a bunch of shopping and travel deals. I stayed at an Omni Resort for a conference last month, and I got $150 back in statement credit on my spend there (while work obviously reimbursed me for the full folio amount). Just have to check out the deals once a month and add any to your card that you might use.

So just those first three I personally get to almost $600. If I use any of the next three or they have deals on spend I'd have anyway I can come out way ahead. And that doesn't count any of the food/drink in the lounges, which includes both the Centurion and Priority Pass lounges. That's real savings when traveling on your own dime, and it lets me use my whole per diem on dinner and drinks when I get to where I'm going while traveling for work.

I have no idea how easy it'll be to transfer and use the points, as I just finished my first month with the card so haven't had the opportunity to look into that yet. But from my initial research, it sounds like if you're willing to spend some time and dig into offers across partner airlines, you can find some pretty smoking deals. With the spend and the sign-up bonus I'll have about 90,000 points to use in a couple of months, which looks to be worth between $900 and $2,500, depending on how I use them.

I'm sure you road warriors are laughing at me, but this is still a new and exciting world for me!

Yes I think it varies by airport. The airports we have gone thru, TSA lines are getting longer.

Yes I think it varies by airport.

Totally. In DEN, for instance, the TSA people told me not to do CLEAR-plus-TSA and it would be much better to go through regular TSA. And for a while in SEA skipping CLEAR was the way to go. Then you have the airports where you have to make a choice...for instance, I've gone through PHX a few times lately, and they don't have a line for both, so you have to choose between CLEAR and TSA precheck. Well, I don't want to take all my computers out and deal with the liquids thing, so I go TSA.

When I first got CLEAR, it was like the world's best-kept secret. I got it for free at first due to Delta status, and my family got discounts. I can't tell you the number of times we said how happy we were to have it. By now, though, we're all canceling at renewal in July. Too many people have it now, or too many airports have messed up the benefit of it.

My typical goal is to get out of the car and not stop moving or sit down again until I am on the plane.
Yes, I like flying private too! :wink:

I err on the side of early, because in getting to the gate there's several segments that can break down. If I need to listen to music or read for 45 minutes waiting for a plane, I would rather do that than run to catch a flight after traffic delays or whatever, and then my carryon has to be checked because I'm the last one on, and now I have to wait for Checked luggage with all the amateurs.

Which had happened more than once to me

Users who are viewing this thread