What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

California’s water supply is shrinking rapidly (1 Viewer)

Some of this support could be federal but we also have a 100 billion dollar surplus this year here.  
Newsom talked about his plans for this money and did not mention water security at all.  It isn't a priority on the state level.

Newsom talked about his plans for this money and did not mention water security at all.  It isn't a priority on the state level.

He's already got a priority plan: More abortions and a check for $400 to each registered car owner.  Although, CA senate democrats only want to give a $200 check to low income citizens only.

CA PrioritiesTM:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Cali is in a challenging hydro/climate /geo location to be producing as much ag as it does --  But human induced climate change is real, not solely linked to natural cycles and is accelerating this problem faster that anyone anticipated.  

CA was talking about drought/using too much water decades before anyone talked about man impacting climate change though.

This is really more than just a California problem and a crisis for the entire Southwest.  The Colorado river sysem is in crisis and the Colorado River Compact needs to renegotiated to deal with the new realities of the western mega-drought. Lake Powell is at 25% capacity and Lake Mead isn't much better.   

The West is clearly going through a period of Aridification due to climate change and the country needs to wake up to that reality. 

This is really more than just a California problem and a crisis for the entire Southwest.  The Colorado river sysem is in crisis and the Colorado River Compact needs to renegotiated to deal with the new realities of the western mega-drought. Lake Powell is at 25% capacity and Lake Mead isn't much better.   

The West is clearly going through a period of Aridification due to climate change and the country needs to wake up to that reality. 
Great points.  Points that have also been brought up multiple times in this thread yet largely ignored because, ya know, California bad. 

Great points.  Points that have also been brought up multiple times in this thread yet largely ignored because, ya know, California bad. 

Sure, and as I recommended, desalinization plants in CA could help neighboring states as well by reducing CA's reliance on shared water sources.  But, CA selfish.  :shrug:

Sure, and as I recommended, desalinization plants in CA could help neighboring states as well by reducing CA's reliance on shared water sources.  But, CA selfish.  :shrug:
Not selfish, plain stupid.  

But the point I was making is others where just using this to spout their anti-California rhetoric.  This is bigger and more important then that and ultimately will effect everyone.  

California's population is about triple that of Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona combined.  

And?  Does that change the drought conditions in AZ or Or?   
No, but the population difference means that anything done in CA will pay off dramatically with other populations since many water sources are shared.  CA needs to lead here.

I keep seeing that this drought is a 1200 year event.  Here is an interesting article about the Fresno area and how the drought there is anything but unusual.  Looks like, at least in the central valley, that this is pretty normal.  The worst dry spell was in 1450-61 and was about 4x longer than the current drought.

I'd love to see the backup data on the "1200 year" event to see if that is backed up by historical data and where they claim this even is.  If not the central valley then where?

I keep seeing that this drought is a 1200 year event.  Here is an interesting article about the Fresno area and how the drought there is anything but unusual.  Looks like, at least in the central valley, that this is pretty normal.  The worst dry spell was in 1450-61 and was about 4x longer than the current drought.

I'd love to see the backup data on the "1200 year" event to see if that is backed up by historical data and where they claim this even is.  If not the central valley then where?
I’m not 100% sure if I’m accurate, and I don’t have the time to jump on Google right now, but if I remember from past readings it’s from Northern California and parts of southern as well. So much of California’s water comes from Northern California as well as the Sierra Nevada melt. Those have been extra dry.  

Don't know the specifics of drought recurrence calculations, but for flooding, there can be multiple 100 year floods in any given year ---

Don't know the specifics of drought recurrence calculations, but for flooding, there can be multiple 100 year floods in any given year ---

I have done a lot of work around this and yes you are correct.  It's just probably essentially so you can have 10 1:100 year events in one year

That being said, there is no doubt from the statistics of the last 50 years, that what we consider the 1:10, 1:100 and the 1:10,000 events are drastically accelerating.  Our latest research shows 1:100 scale event is occurring every 4 or 5 years right now...

I have done a lot of work around this and yes you are correct.  It's just probably essentially so you can have 10 1:100 year events in one year

That being said, there is no doubt from the statistics of the last 50 years, that what we consider the 1:10, 1:100 and the 1:10,000 events are drastically accelerating.  Our latest research shows 1:100 scale event is occurring every 4 or 5 years right now...
Interesting. Thanks.  So the frequencies of BOTH can be seen accelerating due to climate change.

Interesting. Thanks.  So the frequencies of BOTH can be seen accelerating due to climate change.

Absolutely across the Country and through different events.  The trend is not only obvious but remarkable

Large parts of the country are pretty much hosed. Looks like the plan is to not do anything meaningful until there is no other choice.

Then it will be the government’s fault  :mellow:
Even the PNW is hurting. The summers are getting very warm and very dry the last decade and snowpacks are melting faster and sooner.  Freshettes are starting in March now and ending in April. 

This is happening across the country too.  check out the news on some of the USA's biggest aquifers.

I just drove 2000 miles from AR to CA 

after OKC ... there isn't much until you get past the Mojave desert and through the sierra's .... like 1200 miles ..... and when you get to the San Joaquin valley .... its really something IMO to see THAT many fruit and nut tree's and agriculture being grown in an area that gets so little rain annually. Totally dependent on irrigation

I mean the non-agri lands right next to the orchards/farms?   very dry, very little grass etc ..... and its always been that way for the most part, that's just the ecosystem of the area

Well looks like the Colorado Monsoon season is getting started a bit early this year.  A bit of good news for the West's drought but it likely won't make up for years of lower participation and the bad winter the west had.

California approves desalination plant as historic drought hits water supplies

The Doheny Ocean Desalination Project in Southern California could be functioning within the next five years and supply water for thousands of people.
www.cnbc.com
www.cnbc.com

"The megadrought gripping the Western U.S. has generated the driest two decades in the region in at least 1,200 years"

I didn't know we kept rain records for 1200 years ?? lol

but how ironic .... a state led by people who claim saving the earth should be the #1 goal ....

What are the environmental impacts of desalination?

Most forms of desalination are energy-intensive. Desalination has the potential to increase fossil fuel dependence, increase greenhouse gas emissions, and exacerbate climate change if renewable energy sources are not used for freshwater production.

Desalination surface water intakes are a huge threat to marine life. Mature fish, larvae, and other marine life can be significantly injured or killed when they become trapped or sucked into open water surface intake pipes.

The State Water Resources Control Board estimates that open ocean intakes used by coastal power plants in California kill 70 billion fish larvae and other marine life on an annual basis. These same open ocean intakes are being proposed for use at desalination plants throughout California. Brine waste also poses a potential threat to marine life and water quality, as it contains dangerously high concentration of salts and other minerals. Because of its high density and salinity, brine waste can accumulate in and around disposal areas smothering bottom dwelling species and significantly altering coastal ecosystems. Why isn’t desalination the solution to our water problems? Desalination’s energy-intensive process is expensive and environmentally harmful, making it a costly strategy to bolster regional water supplies. The average price per Ocean-Water Desalination: A Solution or a Problem? Desalination plant in Lanzarote, Canary Islands. acre foot of desalinated water is often 2-4 times more expensive than other water sources. Ocean desalination is not efficient. It requires roughly two gallons of ocean water for every one gallon of freshwater produced. This means one large desalination facility is not going to solve regional water supply problems.

The carbon footprint for seawater of reverse osmosis (RO) desalination has been calculated between 0.4–6.7 kg CO2eq/m3 [9]. This means that desalinating 1000 cubic meters of seawater could potentially release as much as 6.7 tons of CO2.Feb 12, 2018

Do desalination plants contribute to global warming?

The process involves removing salt from seawater and filtering it to produce drinking quality water. But the fossil fuels normally used in the energy-intensive desalination process contribute to global warming, and the toxic brine it produces pollutes coastal ecosystems.Jan 11, 2021

what? no left comebacks on how evil these water plants are ? killing animals and the environment, spewing CO2, sucking fossil fuels to run .... I mean how could anyone support those thing !

its the double standard effect ........... the left fought tooth and nail to get rid of plastic straws and yet,

Apr 14, 2021 — A separate study reports that 3.4 billion face masks or face shields are discarded every day.

think about those numbers ........... but dang it, ban plastic straws !!

what? no left comebacks on how evil these water plants are ? killing animals and the environment, spewing CO2, sucking fossil fuels to run .... I mean how could anyone support those thing !

its the double standard effect ........... the left fought tooth and nail to get rid of plastic straws and yet,

Apr 14, 2021 — A separate study reports that 3.4 billion face masks or face shields are discarded every day.

Not sure why I’m even bothering to reply as you‘re not looking for discussion you’re just looking to score points. But “the left” is exactly why we don’t have more of theses desalination plants here and are the reason the Huntington Beach plant got denied a few months ago. If you read the pages in this thread you will see that exact discussion.

Not sure why I’m even bothering to reply as you‘re not looking for discussion you’re just looking to score points. But “the left” is exactly why we don’t have more of theses desalination plants here and are the reason the Huntington Beach plant got denied a few months ago. If you read the pages in this thread you will see that exact discussion.

hey i think they're a good idea - costly, not environmentally friendly really, but the problem with CA is it uses way way more water than it naturally has ......... either get more coming in, or stop using the water that's there (plus a lot more)

its clear CA isn't going to stop using water, so desalination it is right ? just hypocritical to say "save the earth" at the same time masks are dumped by the millions and de-sal plants are built

Currently there are 11 desalination plants in California, and 10 more are proposed. /// In the last three decades, the cost of desalination has dropped by more than half.

De-sal, however, is plagued by some serious environmental problems. There are two types of desalination – thermal, which heats up water and then captures the condensation, and reverse osmosis, which forces sea water through the pores of a membrane that are many times smaller than the diameter of a human hair. This traps salt molecules, but allows the smaller water molecules to go through. Both require a great deal of energy, and greenhouse gas emissions created by the power needed – especially in the Middle East, where fossil fuels generate electricity – are a significant contributor to global warming.

There are ecological impacts as well. It takes two gallons of sea water to make a gallon of fresh water, which means the gallon left behind is briny. It is disposed of by returning it to the ocean and – if not done properly by diffusing it over large areas – can deplete the ocean of oxygen and have negative impacts on sea life.

Tree ring data. It's quite accurate on showing wet and dry years. (It's also how we know the Maya were essentially wiped out by drought 800 years ago, as well.)

tree rings don't equate to inches of rain because there are other environmental conditions affecting tree growth rings like temperature

but yes, tree ring data does in general show wet/dry years .... and/or growing seasons but its not nowhere near like keeping track of rainfall

There's only a few of us left that don't have you on ignore. ;-)

There's only a few of us left that don't have you on ignore. ;-)
hard to believe

You probably dont believe in dinosaurs or glaciers or even jesus

I do believe in dinosaurs .... I've seen them

I believe in glaciers, they were once all the way down into north America before the earth warmed and melted them, did you know ?

Jesus is faith -

and I believe CA is using wayyyyy more water than its ecosystem can provide .....

Users who are viewing this thread