What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

California will soon be the world's 5th largest economy. (1 Viewer)

California has money, schools, people, and ingenuity aplenty to become its own thriving country, with only one small missing ingredient it needs to get from the United States, Tim. 

Water. 
CA has plenty of water for agriculture. unfortunately, CA is seemingly incapable of creating the needed reservoirs and reclamation systems to harvest it.   

well, that and saving the Delta Smelt. stop worrying about that fish and 90% of the "water problem" goes away. 

But I think I would make "Going to California" our new anthem. 

Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair

CA has plenty of water for agriculture. unfortunately, CA is seemingly incapable of creating the needed reservoirs and reclamation systems to harvest it.   

well, that and saving the Delta Smelt. stop worrying about that fish and 90% of the "water problem" goes away. 
I wish I could like this twice.

In the spirit of compromise, we will surrender most of that land, along with the cities of  Bakersfield and Fresno, so long as we maintain control of the agriculture and highways.
Sorry, the U.S. will need land and air easements in perpetuity to access their land.  This will negate California's ability to control those roads and airlanes.  Likely this will require California to cede additional land to the U.S.  Conversely, the U.S. might well determine to deny California access to roadways going over U.S. soil.

Sorry, the U.S. will need land and air easements in perpetuity to access their land.  This will negate California's ability to control those roads and airlanes.  Likely this will require California to cede additional land to the U.S.  Conversely, the U.S. might well determine to deny California access to roadways going over U.S. soil.
Hmm. Well I'm sure we'll find a way to work this out. 

In the meantime, do you like my new anthem? 

Hawaii is definitely part of our new country. 
Only by persuasion or conquering.  The Mexican Navy can help you with that, if you strike a treaty.  Of course without U.S. sovereignty and protection Mexico might decide to go with the Reconquista and take you guys over.  Also, Spain may renew centuries old claims to your land.

I confess I would love to see the process happen as an intellectual exercise. It would be fascinating to watch a county being born.  What political system would they adopt, to whom grant citizenship, who would be eligible for office, would citizenship even have meaning in California?  How would they tackle compromises between expediency and harsh realities and shared principles?  How would they integrate to the world community.  The amount we could all learn from such an effort would be very valuable.

In the spirit of compromise, we will surrender most of that land, along with the cities of  Bakersfield and Fresno, so long as we maintain control of the agriculture and highways.
if you want to control agriculture, you're gonna need everything from Stockton to Bakersfield, and I5 east to the Sierra Foothills. 

Ceding Fresno & Bako is not in your interest.  

Hmm. Well I'm sure we'll find a way to work this out. 

In the meantime, do you like my new anthem? 
Not sure I would go with that.  Mamas and the Papas, Beach Boys, Eagles, the Grateful Dead, so many Candidates.  I would throw my early support behind Estimated Prophet by the Dead or California Dreaming by the Mommas and Pappas.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want to control agriculture, you're gonna need everything from Stockton to Bakersfield, and I5 east to the Sierra Foothills. 

You notice I deliberately wrote the cities of Bakersfield and Fresno, not the surrounding land areas. We keep the rest of Kern County. That way we get rid of all those annoying Trump fans, but keep the farmland. 

I got this! 

You notice I deliberately wrote the cities of Bakersfield and Fresno, not the surrounding land areas. We keep the rest of Kern County. That way we get rid of all those annoying Trump fans, but keep the farmland. 

I got this! 
You're doing such a good job, Sergeant- why should I get in your way? .... I mean like, so many positive waves... maybe we can't lose, you're on!

I got this! 
riiiigghhht. 

because there are no "annoying Trump fans" in Visalia, Coalinga, Sanger, Clovis, Merced, Madera, Ripon, Manteca, Ceres, Turlock, Los Banos, Chowchilla, Kerman, Dos Palos, Mendota, Kingsburg, Caruthers, Hanford, Tulare, Delano, etc. 

It does if it continues to get water rights treatment from the federal government that it currently gets.  If it leaves the U.S. with its middle finger in the air, the amount that's allocated to surrounding states in water rights agreements skyrockets and much less even makes it to California.  

California's right to about 4.5 million acre feet of water from the Colorado is a lynchpin of its water distribution for the state. 

It does if it continues to get water rights treatment from the federal government that it currently gets.  If it leaves the U.S. with its middle finger in the air, the amount that's allocated to surrounding states in water rights agreements skyrockets and much less even makes it to California.  

California's right to about 4.5 million acre feet of water from the Colorado is a lynchpin of its water distribution for the state. 
SoCal? yes. for the whole state? not really. 

again, turn on the spigot from the Delta and CA has plenty of water. 

SoCal? yes. for the whole state? not really. 

again, turn on the spigot from the Delta and CA has plenty of water. 
I realize it's regional, but so is California's population. SoCal is about 25 million people. 

As noted above, if you cut out Southern California I think it would make a much better country anyway. 

If California left they would likely be considered to have renounced their rights under all current compacts.  Those with secondary and tertiary rights to the water would jump in and lay claim to it.   Water is valuable enough on the front range of the Rockies that we already pump it up out of the Colorado and over the continental divide.  This would accelerate.  Users in Utah and Arizona would jump on the rest and the Colorado would cease to flow much beyond.

You know, Nevada, Colorado, Northern California, Washington, Oregon could be a great Consolidated States of Weedistan. Maybe add in Alaska. 
Maybe we could plant coca trees as well, and poppy fields. We could win the international drug war by bringing it back home, to the new international community.  Columbia, Afghanistan, Peru, Thailand, Mexico, they would all be screwed.

If California left they would likely be considered to have renounced their rights under all current compacts.  Those with secondary and tertiary rights to the water would jump in and lay claim to it.   Water is valuable enough on the front range of the Rockies that we already pump it up out of the Colorado and over the continental divide.  This would accelerate.  Users in Utah and Arizona would jump on the rest and the Colorado would cease to flow much beyond.
Exactly. 

The USA can keep the Dodgers and maybe evwn the Lakers. Don't need them dragging down our fine new nation. 

BTW, here's how my daughter ranks the schools she is applying to, in terms of her preference:

1. UC San Diego & UC Santa Barbara

2. UCLA and UC Berkeley

3. UC Irvine (my alma mater).

4. Chapman University

5. Cal State Fullerton

6. Cal State Long Beach.

She's applying to all 8; we'll see who accepts her...
If she's that bright, why not go further afield? 

Also, Chapman? Wtf?

If she's that bright, why not go further afield? 

Also, Chapman? Wtf?
Not sure what you mean. With the exception of Berkeley, she wants to stay in So Cal. Who wouldn't? It's paradise here every day of the week. (And you should see these campuses at Santa Barbara and La Jolla!) 

Chapman is a good school, not as good as the UCs. My daughter wants to teach and it's an excellent school for that. Rather expensive though.  :(

Not sure what you mean. With the exception of Berkeley, she wants to stay in So Cal. Who wouldn't? It's paradise here every day of the week. (And you should see these campuses at Santa Barbara and La Jolla!) 

Chapman is a good school, not as good as the UCs. My daughter wants to teach and it's an excellent school for that. Rather expensive though.  :(
If I went to school in SoCal I would have never gone to class

I grew up in SoCal. Both parents still live there. Lots of friends still in the Southland. Went to Cal, lived in NorCal for 8 years.

SoCal isn't the be all end all utopia. It's nice, comfortable (if you can afford it), and not challenging IMO. Being young and bright to me means challenging yourself and your conceptions of the world.  Isn't that one of the greatest luxuries you could have? Expand your mind...  see the world.

If you do that, you'd only get half of the ag. Possibly less than half

You really need to go all the way to Red Bluff. 

Users who are viewing this thread