What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Calvin? (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Calvin Johnson declined to comment on whether he has been playing with a partially torn PCL in his right knee.
Johnson initially injured his knee in Week 5, and the crew at Deadspin received a tip via email from a person who "guaranteed" Megatron partially tore his PCL. That anonymous "guy on the internet" has a close friend who underwent knee surgery with the Lions' team doctor that week. Anyways, Johnson responded on Tuesday by saying, "Y'all will have to ask me those questions on Thursday. I don't want to talk about that stuff." Megatron isn't guaranteed to play this week in the season finale. He also may not even require offseason surgery.

Source: MLive.com

Arrrghhh This is a very tough call for those of us still playing for keeps. I'm pretty much playing for league championship (Most wins after 17 weeks is champion; total points is tie breaker). I'm in 1st @ 11-5 playing the 2nd place team @ 10-6; he has me by over 100 points so I have to win this game. It's either 1st or 3rd place for me at this point.

Megatron's situation really worries me. This game is completely meaningless and if he does have a partially torn PCL, I don't see them playing him in a game with nothing on the line. Even if that report is erroneous, they still might shut him down early:

Johnson needs only 8 receiving yards to become the first player in NFL history with three consecutive 1,500-yard seasons
I could see them letting him play the 1st quarter to grab that record and then shutting him down if they are concerned at all about his knee. He is the most dominant player in the NFL right now so it's hard to see the Lions risking further injury past that point.

But then again, how can you bench Mega if he is going to play?? Even in my scenario described above, he could turn 1 or 2 quarters of play into one hell of a performance. MIN is absolutely atrocious against WR's FF wise being ranked 31st; they allow an extra 10.5 points over the league average to WR's (45.9 ppg). Hell, the last 4 weeks they have given up the following points to WRs:

Arrghhh. This is a very difficult decision.I am quite curious what other Mega owners are thinking on this subject...

I have Keenan Allen sitting on my bench and am considering giving him a whirl against a KC defense (In SD) he has already torn up once: 9 rec / 124 yards

He is clearly not healthy, and since this week's game is now meaningless, the obvious smart move is for him not to play. No point in him making the injury any worse. The season is over, they ain't going to the playoffs, so let Megatron start healing now and getting ready for next season.

smapdi said:
I could see them letting him play the 1st quarter to grab that record and then shutting him down if they are concerned at all about his knee. He is the most dominant player in the NFL right now so it's hard to see the Lions risking further injury past that point.
That would have to be the most irresponsible thing of all time if that was the case.

It would be irresponsible for an actual REAL record, but for this would just be god awful.

smapdi said:
That would have to be the most irresponsible thing of all time if that was the case.

It would be irresponsible for an actual REAL record, but for this would just be god awful.
I can think of more irresponsible things one could do. If the story is true, he's played with it since October. Obviously, he knows how to avoid letting it lead to further injury. And while not exactly a first page of the record book record, it's every bit as impressive and would be an eye-catching addition to his resume for everything from salary to commercial fee negotiation. I don't see the big deal if he wants to do it for himself after playing through it all for the team to this point.

Rotoworld:

Calvin Johnson (knee) is listed as questionable for Week 17.
Megatron didn't participate in practice at all this week, and we're not expecting him to play in the meaningless finale against Minnesota. Should Johnson be inactive, the Lions would likely start Nate Burleson and Kris Durham at receiver, with Kevin Ogletree entering to play outside in three-wide sets.

Source: Tim Twentyman on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Calvin Johnson is recovering from a finger operation, as well as his previously-reported right knee scope.

GM Martin Mayhew made the disclosure at new coach Jim Caldwell's introductory press conference on Wednesday. Both operations correct longstanding issues. Johnson's knee cost him two games in 2013, while his finger has been an issue dating back to 2012. Megatron has picked up a ton of nicks and bruises during his seven-year career, but has missed only six games. He should be 100 percent well ahead of training camp. The operations aren't a concern for Johnson's Dynasty-league value.

Source: Tim Twentyman on Twitter

The finger has been a quietly talked about issue since 2012 like that blurb says, I wonder if we can attribute some of the stupid drops he's had over the last couple seasons to that injury.

The finger has been a quietly talked about issue since 2012 like that blurb says, I wonder if we can attribute some of the stupid drops he's had over the last couple seasons to that injury.
Let's hope so. He will always have some 'drops' because Stafford has zero touch. Every pass is a rocket regardless of proximity. He also rarely puts no air under his deep passes. Most are high line drives that are hard to catch especially down the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread