What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cameron Meredith - WR - NE Patriots (1 Viewer)

It's looking like Meredith is this year's out of nowhere dynasty WR asset.  Willie Snead last year... 
Probably sounds ridiculous to make this comp but he reminds me of when Terrell Owens became Terrell Owens.  Just seems  same guy out there (when Owens was still young and not and egomaniac)

Probably sounds ridiculous to make this comp but he reminds me of when Terrell Owens became Terrell Owens.  Just seems  same guy out there (when Owens was still young and not and egomaniac)
Not ridiculous.  I see it when I watch him play.  He's a beast.

:popcorn:  like what I see. Howard and Meridith seem to be my two best pickups so far this year. Both on chi. LOL. Who would thunk. Give Hoyer honorable mention.

All 3 Chicago players look legit for nfl and fantasy. Things change fast around here.

This situation is really interesting to me because it shows how weird the Dynasty value market can get when things are in turmoil.

For instance, if I ask myself these questions:

1. Would I trade Meredith for Kevin White right now?  No
  2. Would I trade Meredith for Alshon Jeffery?  Hmmm... I would certainly pause to think about it, and that might go something like this...
Jeffery is 2.5 years older than Meredith, at the end of his contract with the Bears, and has had repeated soft tissue injury issues.  Jeffery contract FUD, age, injury risk... plus the fact that Meredith looks like one of those big possession WRs who are also blessed with good speed...  Of course Jeffery could luck out and get signed by a WR-needy team with a good offense and a lot of cap room (Tampa Bay?  Carolina? New England?  Cinci?), but I don't like to bet on that because usually the smart, "good" organizations don't sign a lot of FAs to big money.

According to consensus, Alshon is a top 15-20 Dynasty asset and Kevin White is top 30-35 (I don't agree with the latter)...

So... what is the current value of Cameron Meredith?

Well if he keeps playing like this and White can get healthy he might be taking Jeffery's spot next year. Chicago isn't exactly getting a good return on their investment with Jeffery. 

This would not happen.

I own him a few different places and I'm excited, but come on.
I'm just guessing that a few owners are going to like him better than guys like Sterling Sheppard, Doug Baldwin, CJ Anderson, and other older players at the end of the third round ADP.

Like I said earlier, I can't say I'd trade him for Alshon straight up, right now, and Alshon is still a 2nd-3rd round consensus Dynasty pick as far as I know.

He's done awesome so far, but only two games. Three is a trend. Also Hoyer is a big part of this chemistry going on. Take him away and I don't know if Cutler could check down so consistently and often to give him these big games. Cautiously optimistic he has a continued good season. I needed that 3rd WR bad as I focused more on RBs in the 1st 5 rounds.

If Hoyer stays in at QB and Cam2 continues this production for the ros, then once he has a nice body of work I think this would translate to any QB going forward next year, but right now he really needs Hoyer to stay in at QB as this is a vulnerable time for him during his breakout.

I guess I could firmly put him in the Allen Hurns category for value, wherever that may be.  It is a funny thing because the numbers don't lie and based simply on that, he's looking like a top 15-20 Wr in th league and the opportunity is great to keep that going.  With that being said, i bet if you offered him in dynasty to the Sammie Watkins owner, you'd get laughed at (although your guy is putting up 15-20 and Watkins hasn't ever shown he can stay on the field for a month).  Its a very perception-based thing where we don't always make the right decisions.  

Charles/Ware.

Nuk Hopkins/Brandon Marshall

a lot of us would make the incorrect decision. 

I'm just guessing that a few owners are going to like him better than guys like Sterling Sheppard, Doug Baldwin, CJ Anderson, and other older players at the end of the third round ADP.

Like I said earlier, I can't say I'd trade him for Alshon straight up, right now, and Alshon is still a 2nd-3rd round consensus Dynasty pick as far as I know.
Um no

Well, the owner in my league is asking for a 2017 1st +.  I would love to have him on my team and could use the WR help, but that's pretty rich. 

each week he gets 10+ targets and 6-7 catches or more .... that will only cost you MORE to get this young WR (if you want him)

as with any player, you never know ..... I love to pick up guys, ride their hotness and sell high, I sold Hurns (I thought he'd not get the TD's this year) and Snead (there are a lot of WR's in NOS) and guys like that .....

Meredith I'm not looking to sell really. Why? Opportunity ..... he's going to play and with Jeffrey leaving (likely) .... just too good not to keep

i'm a bears fan, i like meredith and i think he's doing great. i even picked him up in my league this year and am hopeful he continues to outplay my ####ty WR corps. but i think some of this hype is a bit premature isn't it? yeah he's 2 for 2 with very good games, but it's just 2 games.

you gotta know when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em

Meredith may be the next consistent 80-100 catch WR .... he may fizzle, most likely something in between

but his value is only to go up IMO with the situation in CHI

i'm a bears fan, i like meredith and i think he's doing great. i even picked him up in my league this year and am hopeful he continues to outplay my ####ty WR corps. but i think some of this hype is a bit premature isn't it? yeah he's 2 for 2 with very good games, but it's just 2 games.
Being completely serious here.  That's what they said about Arian Foster.  And then after that first year they said "let's see it again". Then after that second year, some still doubted.   I'm not saying Meredith is the next big thing but just mentioning that we can't just use lack of history to judge the talent. It's a catch-22. People cry "show us again and again" and then when they do, people say "yeah, he's old now...lost his sexiness". But in the meantime, the people who were quick to know enjoy a few great years. 

Just Recieved OBJ for my Meredith in my dynasty.  

I'm kidding. I countered with OBJ and a 2017 2

:hifive: Kittensmittens

In a league with kittenmittens, huh?
:D

I was really just trying to figure out what his value is so I appreciate the contrary opinions... Seems to me it's not that far from Kevin White prior to the season but it's controversial.    I'm not sure I would take him in the 3rd,  but there is always somebody willing to take Cordarrell Patterson at the end of the 2nd round in startups circa 2014 off-season.  If 10% of people would do it,  there is probably one in your league...  There seems to be a decent amount of dynasty owners who won't draft anyone older than 25 in a startup.  I'm down on Jeffery as well... can't trust him.  

FWIW Dynasty trade Twitter voted 56% Meredith to 44% Jeffery straight up traded for each other.   Only 9 people voted so SSS,  but a 3rd option in the poll was Even Value and I find it interesting that 0 voted for that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably wouldn't be looking to sell a dude whose seen 28 targets in the span of two weeks. He also has somehow already tied Jeffery with 5 RZ targets. 

SameSongNDance said:
I probably wouldn't be looking to sell a dude whose seen 28 targets in the span of two weeks. He also has somehow already tied Jeffery with 5 RZ targets. 
and he's got more TDs (1) than jeffery

sad fact that might explain this alshon comment after the game " "We've got to score (expletive) touchdowns." Alshon is 10th in receiving yards this season, but of the top 50, the only others without scores are john brown (46) and gary barnige (50)

Still sitting on the Waivers in my league with tight roster limits. I think everyone was skeptical he was a one-week wonder. That and like I said the league has very tight roster limits and there are transaction fees so waiver moves come with a cost. Anyway I'm debating how much of my remaining FAAB to spend on him since I have a WR need behind my big 3. We have $50 total to begin the year and I have $40 left. Right now I'm leaning toward a $14 bid which is a relatively hefty sized bid in this league. 

Still sitting on the Waivers in my league with tight roster limits. I think everyone was skeptical he was a one-week wonder. That and like I said the league has very tight roster limits and there are transaction fees so waiver moves come with a cost. Anyway I'm debating how much of my remaining FAAB to spend on him since I have a WR need behind my big 3. We have $50 total to begin the year and I have $40 left. Right now I'm leaning toward a $14 bid which is a relatively hefty sized bid in this league. 
I think he has a great skill set match for Hoyer, but keep in mind that they have the Vikings and a bye week after this week if you're concerned about a tight roster.  Longer term, it's a good add. 

I think he has a great skill set match for Hoyer, but keep in mind that they have the Vikings and a bye week after this week if you're concerned about a tight roster.  Longer term, it's a good add. 
Good point but other than the two Vikings matchups the rest of the schedule looks pretty sweet and this week's matchup is beyond wonderful. Green Bay's secondary is putrid. 

The bigger question though, is what if Cutler returns? Sure, Hoyer has thrown for 300 yds in the last couple of games, but no TDs. If Cutler comes in, does Meredith still see those targets?

The bigger question though, is what if Cutler returns? Sure, Hoyer has thrown for 300 yds in the last couple of games, but no TDs. If Cutler comes in, does Meredith still see those targets?
Then I think his value takes a big hit just like we saw with White. Cutler loves him some Alshon.  

Do you really think that would happen?  It is hard to believe.  Cutler was averaging 180 yards and 0.5 TDs per game.  Hoyer is averaging 329 and 1.5 TDs.  They seem like a different team now.  But I guess crazier things have happened.

I really feel like Chicago has been trying to wash their hands of Cutler for a long time now it's just that they haven't had a competent replacement. Hoyer is getting the job done even if he didn't throw a TD pass last week.

Cutler is done unless Hoyer gets hurt.

I really feel like Chicago has been trying to wash their hands of Cutler for a long time now it's just that they haven't had a competent replacement. Hoyer is getting the job done even if he didn't throw a TD pass last week.

Cutler is done unless Hoyer gets hurt.
Hoyer gonna trick another team into giving him starter money? Must have taken Fitzpatrick's Mastermind class ....

Interesting poll final results of dynasty trade Twitter...  Trade Jeffery for Meredith Straight up. 

38% want Jeffery

57% want Meredith 

5% call it even. 

That's dumb. Where are these voters coming from? Whose followers?
#dynastytrades.

also don't know if people are that high on Meredith or that low on Jeffery.   This is a situation with wide ranging opinions of value.   Somebody is probably dumb given the divergent opinions,  and it's a good situation to take advantage if youre confident in who is wrong. 

#dynastytrades.

also don't know if people are that high on Meredith or that low on Jeffery.   This is a situation with wide ranging opinions of value.   Somebody is probably dumb given the divergent opinions,  and it's a good situation to take advantage if youre confident in who is wrong. 
I would, except the Jeffery owner in every league I'm in would laugh if I approached them with Merideth as the main piece on my side of any potential deal.

I would, except the Jeffery owner in every league I'm in would laugh if I approached them with Merideth as the main piece on my side of any potential deal.
Just because people laugh or scoff at trades doesn't make them right.  Meredith is the better answer. I would criticize a person trying to trade Meredith away more than I would criticize a person trying to trade away White or Jeffery.  

Sometimes you "win" the trade that nobody will make with you ;).

Seriously though, I don't know what the right answer is.

For how I play Dynasty, I have to make a decision on Meredith.  This is mostly obvious, but...

Basically I own a controversial asset that I got for the low cost of preemptively using 1 roster spot, from waivers.  The decision is do I value him more than the best offer I can get?  That depends on how high I am on this particular player, but it also depends on the market for that player in terms of what other owners will give up to get him.

If I believe he will be better than what other owners think, and I like him?  I keep him unless I get a really good offer of a similarly valued player but with more stable value.

If I believe he is just a flash in the pan?  Sell Immediately for whatever I can get and still get a profit because he was "free".

If you like the player and will only move for a great offer, that's where it gets tricky figuring out what a "great" offer is.  I think some of us in this thread - including me - are there right now.

Edit: If this reads as condescending to anyone it isn't meant to be. 

Agreed 100% with that post, that's also the thought process I always use when a waiver find gains some value in dynasty. 

Which is exactly why a guy inspiring that (reasonable) thought process shouldn't be mentioned with a stable long-term asset like Alshon just because he's frustrating some people right now. 

Agreed 100% with that post, that's also the thought process I always use when a waiver find gains some value in dynasty. 

Which is exactly why a guy inspiring that (reasonable) thought process shouldn't be mentioned with a stable long-term asset like Alshon just because he's frustrating some people right now. 
Yeah I was the one who brought up Alshon.   It was during my own valuation process (basically going down the adp and asking myself who I'd rather have) and Alshon was the first player to give me pause (probably cause I am overly down on him).   I think just this thread shows that Meredith has really polarized value right now tho so i think it's a good idea to shop him around just to see what others think.   There could be an owner in your league who values him way more than you do.   My favorite trades are when both owners think they are fleecing the other guy. 

2 targets, 1 catch for 13 yards this week and value goes down

10 more targets, 8 more catches, 100 yards and another TD and his value goes up

Buy now? I am ... while I can still afford him

Has Minnesota next week then bye so I think the buy window is after next week.

His value is going to take a hit from Minny but after that schedule looks great.   Fantasy bears luck out in that 2nd Minny game is week 17.

To answer your question, yes, buy.  I don't think a poor week would necessarily hurt him. If Chicago comes out and lays an egg across the board, it wouldn't move the needle much. the worst thing that could happen for Meredith (outside injury, of course), is a scenario where the Bears put up a lot of points and it ends up being a 8/120/2 day for Jeffery and a 6/76/1 for Miller and a nice day for Howard and then you look at Meredith and its 4/32/0. THAT would make people over analyze.  

With that being said, it is just that: over analyzing. All players have the ugly days. It happens. But in reality, the way they are playing, you kind of feel like a 5-6 catch/65 yard night is about his floor right now.  When you see floors like that, you kind of know the price will creep up before down, especially as the heavy bye weeks creep in.  If you can get him at a decent price, by all means....

Has Minnesota next week then bye so I think the buy window is after next week.

His value is going to take a hit from Minny but after that schedule looks great.   Fantasy bears luck out in that 2nd Minny game is week 17.
I think you're right in what is likely but just to consider all the scenarios: what IF Meredith rolls out against the Vikes and goes 8/112/1?  Then we have the opposite effect where people start thinking "if he can do that agains the Vikes, then...."

Again, not likely, but they will have extra rest between those games and it does seem like there are always those games where what happens is exactly opposite of what is expected.  Maybe Vikes come in with the attention on Jeffrey and Meredith peppers them in per with a good game. 

Users who are viewing this thread