What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can anyone recommend a good football-related book? (2 Viewers)

One of my brothers used to have a book about Paul Brown back when he coached the Cleveland Browns, some very interesting stuff, can't remember the name of the book though. There's probably a few books about him, so you might be able to find one you might like to read if you do a search.

A book I strongly recommend that is not primarily about Football but has quite a bit in it is:

BOWERMAN and the MEN OF OREGON.

Co-Founder of Nike. You get a biography on this guy from way back in the day. He grew up a football player. Was literally in the trenches in WW2. Learned about track in college from a guy named HAYWARD. Had a Game-Winning INT in the ROSEBOWL for UofO against UCLA's QB... both were dating same girl. She said she'd go with the winner etc.

Helped Develop the OLYMPIC program. Lots of things running related.

Ornery som##### in some ways. Brilliant, kind gentle in other.

This guy was a tinkerer. That's how he designed lightweight track clothes and shoes and got the best out of people.

Was one of the slower runners on the UofO football team.... did knee raises after practice constantly to get better and change technique.

Became the second fastest on the team...fastest was a gold medal olympic sprinter...forgiveable.

You combine this book and good football you'll have a fantastic summer. You might even get inspired and somehow make someone's 53 man roster.

=)

If you're interested crossing genre's Mr Clutch. The Jerry West Story. great account of his life/career from HS to Pro's.

He put up #s that are unreal today before the 3pt line.

Check out Paul Zimmerman's Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football. Also Ron Jaworski has a good X's and O's book out. You're a gambler, no? Get The Smart Money. Great read.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: Not only the best football book ever, maybe the best book ever.

Breaks down every aspect of a pro franchise from an early 80s perspective, and being Dr Z (aka the greatest football writer ever) he goes real deep on the evolution of lineman through the years, rules changes that have affected the type of athletes suited to each position and how teams get built, all in his storyteller manner.

When Pride Still Mattered: A Life Of Vince Lombardi by David MaranissA Few Seconds of Panic: A 5-Foot-8, 170-Pound, 43-Year-Old Sportswriter Plays in the NFL by Stefan FatsisScorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games Are Won by Tobias MoskowitzThe Blind Side by Michael LewisThe Draft: A Year Inside the NFL's Search for Talent by Pete Williams Take Your Eye Off the Ball: How to Watch Football by Knowing Where to Look by Pat Kirwan
Well it looks like I am Matt's little yes man today, but he is right here like he was in the ohter thread. The Vince Lombardi book is great. A few seconds of panic is good because of the insight you get into the politics of a team. Something of the real life most players have.

Snake, by Ken Stabler, is a fascinating read.
He liked the nightlife a little bit, didn't he? :banned:
I've not read that Stabler book but I think Hollywood Henderson's Out of Control:Confessions of an NFL Casaulty is probably similar in that it goes into detail with a lot of the stuff outside of football. The darker side with lots of sex and drugs. I think his book would be especially interesting for Cowboys fans and those who watched the NFL in the era Henderson played.

Great topic. This will keep me reading all summer long!

I really enjoyed the novel PLAYING FOR PIZZA, by John Grisham. Its about a 3rd string QB who is forced to take a job playing for a semi pro league in Italy with hopes to revive his career.

Out of their League by Dave Megyessy (former player) is a good read.
That book is one of my favorites. Others include

"The Pro Football Chronicle"

"Building a Champion"

"One Knee Equals Two Feet"

"Run to Daylight"

"Gridiron Gauntlet"

"Sunday's Fools"

"The Super '70s"

"The First 50 Years"

"The Pro Style"

Users who are viewing this thread