What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CAR D owners, step inside (1 Viewer)

elbowrm

Footballguy
It's been a great run over the last few weeks, and here's their upcoming schedule with CBS dst points allowed ranking (32=most favorable). Weeks 9, 10, 14, and 16 stick out - otherwise looks good here on out. I'm going to start researching good complementary defenses for those weeks, thought it made sense to enlist the pool to make the analysis more robust.

8: @TB TNF 24

9: ATL 2

10: @ SF 10

11: NE MNF 13

12: @ MIA 24

13: TB 24

14: @ NO 9

15: NYJ 29

16: NO 9

Nice one. Panthers owner here. I know the Titans and Bills have decent run ins maybe either one of them could work in tandem

Stats may say Atlanta is No. 2, but I'm not buying it. Meanwhile, even NE is looking a little bit up-and-down these days. There's always that tipping point when you realize a D is good enough to just ride without obsessing over the matchups, and Carolina may be hitting that point. They've only had one mediocre outing so far this season (Buffalo in Week 2), and while they've been beating up on some bad Ds the past couple weeks, I think they're definitely legit.

Now, I said "without obsessing over matchups", not ignoring them. I still think you have to drop them come playoffs, because playing the Saints twice in three weeks is just pushing your luck. Besides, while it sometimes makes sense to hold on to a D through a bad matchup in order to keep them for the playoffs (I'm doing that with Cinci in another league), by the time you reach the playoffs there's nothing to really hold onto them for.

I could see holding onto them through Week 13, maybe subbing in another D for 10-11 if you have better options. In fact, as long as you have another D, it's also probably worth holding onto them for that Week 15 matchup vs. the Jets.

Raiders week 9: PHI (22); Week 10: @NYG (32) coming off their bye.

Chargers week 14: NYG (32); week 16 OAK (27)

I grabbed them before week 5 and they have been money. I don't think you can play them week 10 or 14 and the Texans play @Arizona and @Jax those 2 games. Texans also play home vs Raiders and home vs Jaguars in week 12. could be a good snag if someone has dropped them

Also a Carolina owner. Our league usually picks over defenses pretty well, but I grabbed the Cardinals before last week. They compliment Carolina very well especially for the questionable games for Carolina and are prob still available on most league waivers. The teams Ariz. has struggled with are against the TE position, so Atl is a bit of a concern this week, but with the WR core of Atl being depleted, it should allow extra help in covering Gonzo. They really have been a different defensive team since gettting Washington back from suspension. Worth a look IMO. Their biggest downside has been Palmer.

Wk 10: Texans

Wk 11: Jags

Wk 13: Eagles

I've been carrying the Titans and Panthers as a tandem for a couple of weeks now. Great schedule with the exception of week 11 I think.

Car + Tenn:

8: Car @TB TNF

9: Tenn @ Rams

10: Tenn vs Jags

11: Car vs NE on MNF or Tenn vs Colts on TNF
12: Car @ MIA or Tenn @ Raiders

13: Car vs TB
14: Car @ NO or Tenn @ Broncos (oof! If you need a week 14 win, might want to hit waivers that week)
15: Car vs NYJ or Tenn vs Cardinals

16: Tenn @ Jags

Looks really promising to me.

Car + Tenn:

14: Car @ NO or Tenn @ Broncos (oof! If you need a week 14 win, might want to hit waivers that week)

Wish I saw this post before doing the research myself. Tenn will be money in the playoffs. Look out for people dropping Tenn on their bye week coming off a bad game vs the Niners.

Car + Tenn:

Wish I saw this post before doing the research myself. Tenn will be money in the playoffs. Look out for people dropping Tenn on their bye week coming off a bad game vs the Niners.
Its actually been a fantastic combo for the whole season. Points used are from one of my leagues:

1: Tenn @ Pitt 13 points

2: Tenn @ Houston 11 points

3: Car vs NYG 25 points

4: Tenn vs NYJ 23 points

5: Car @ Ari 9 points

6: Tenn @ Sea 13 points

7: Car vs STL 20 points

I was streaming a bit more early on so I didn't have this exactly play out as above, but big games from these Ds are the reason why my auction team that went with Rice and CJ Spiller is magically 5-2.

If you've used the ideal CAR/TEN combo this year, your D has scored 114 points in that particular scoring system. The top individual D thus far has 121 points (KC). Not bad for 2 waiver wire pickups. 114 points is more than every non-QB player except for Jamaal Charles.

I know every league scores things a bit differently, but if you can lock up these 2 Ds, you're in fantastic shape the rest of the season.

Car + Tenn:

I have this combo as well

Weeks 11 and 14 scare me a bit so I am trying to add the Cardinals for those weeks

Cards are at the Jaguars week 11 and play the Rams week 14

Car + Tenn:

Weeks 11 and 14 scare me a bit so I am trying to add the Cardinals for those weeks

I don't have the space to carry 3 Ds.

I have this combo in 2 of my 4 leagues (and Tenn w/ SF in another).

With this setup, I'll probably cut Carolina after week 13 and find a good 1 game fill in. Then roll out Tenn the final 2 weeks. This is assuming I don't hang on for a week 14 bye, in which case that becomes irrelevant.

9 pts last night in my standard league. Relatively happy with that, tbh, anything over 8 and I'm happy, anything over 12 and I'm ecstatic.

Was hoping for a few turnover last night, but I'll take the 9 points. I'm worried about their upcoming schedule and playoff schedule. I've been riding them since week 5, but it may be almost time to jump ship.

Freaking garbage TD, at least Tampa's choice of giving up the FG at the end saved me points.

12 points in my league.

With only five bench spots, holding another defense is something I'd rather not do. But this has been a really valuable thread just to start looking long term with teams like the Ravens, Colts and Cardinals in addition to the Panthers.

Car + Tenn:

I don't have the space to carry 3 Ds.

I have this combo in 2 of my 4 leagues (and Tenn w/ SF in another).

With this setup, I'll probably cut Carolina after week 13 and find a good 1 game fill in. Then roll out Tenn the final 2 weeks. This is assuming I don't hang on for a week 14 bye, in which case that becomes irrelevant.
Right now i have carolina paired with dallas but could see using tenn instead of one of them just for that week 15/16 matchup.

I have them in 2 of my 4 money leagues. In the other two, I have KC and Seahawks. I'm pretty happy to have them, they have the potential to make big plays and their front-7 is fierce. No way I'm dropping them under any circumstance. They've been pretty reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beware. They have inflated their stats against very poor offensive teams, which is fine. But they have ATL, NO x2, NE. NYJ and MIA are at least capable. I think paring with another solid DST is a must. The back end of this defense is terrible, and it will show against these teams.

Car + Tenn:

Exactly what happened in my league...TN owner dropped them .. I am hoping to snap them off waiver to match with Carolina

Beware. They have inflated their stats against very poor offensive teams, which is fine. But they have ATL, NO x2, NE. NYJ and MIA are at least capable. I think paring with another solid DST is a must. The back end of this defense is terrible, and it will show against these teams.
jets is a plus match IMO.

My QB is on bye this week, so once that's over I'll be able to drop my backup and pick up a second D. Considering Buffalo, though I'm not sure if I trust them. Surprised no one's mentioned San Diego yet. Here's a potential Carolina/SD pairing.

Week 9: Car vs ATL or SD @ Wash

10: Car @ SF

11: SD @ Miami

12: Car @ Miami

14: SD vs NYG

15: Car vs NYJ

16: SD vs Oak

Week 10 is the only one that scares me a little (SD is playing Denver, so they're definitely out). One possibility would be to get Buffalo for 10/11 (@Pit/NYJ) and then hope SD is still available.

Another team where I like the schedule more than the D is Cleveland, who started off strong but has shown nothing the past two weeks. Between Weeks 12-16, they have plus match-ups in all but one game:

12: Pit

13: Jax

14: @NE

15: Chi

16: @NYJ

I slept on the Raiders and Chargers last week, picked up the Cardinals this week. Week 16 will have to wait.

Anyone nervous about playing Carolina D with Roddy White potentially back? He could give their O a much needed shot in the arm. Also, Matt Ryan tends to rebound nicely and play real well after a dismal outing. Yes they are at home, but am concerned. Think I'm rolling with a well rested Titans D against Clemens and the Rams, playing on a short week.

Anyone nervous about playing Carolina D with Roddy White potentially back? He could give their O a much needed shot in the arm. Also, Matt Ryan tends to rebound nicely and play real well after a dismal outing. Yes they are at home, but am concerned. Think I'm rolling with a well rested Titans D against Clemens and the Rams, playing on a short week.
I'm doing the same

Hope I don't regret it

This is a great point. Just looked and I'm surprised FBG ranks the Panthers higher, granted not by much. Like you say, the Titans DEF has a perfect matchup: backup QB on a struggling offense, coming off a short week. Maybe it is because the Panthers are at home while the Titans are in St. Louis. Awful tough call though, but I'm leaning towards the Titans being the play...but I haven't totally made up my mind.

FWIW, I'm sticking with CAR over TEN this week. I think TEN has more upside, but also more risk--they've been very up and down, and now on the road. I'm a favorite in my matchup, though. If I were an underdog, I'd go with TEN.

Currently have Car do you think I should pick up Buf or Titans? I'll most likely not have the buy so will have to play wk 14 and Buf looks like the best matchup that week. Would just like to take care of it now in case someone else is looking that far ahead

Sticking with CAR this week. HUGE game for them at home. My league is heavy on points for sacks, turnovers, etc. and not as much so on points against, so that's factoring into my decision as well.

Roddy inactive. My league scoring gives negative points for PA, so still rolling with Tenn, but not with the utmost confidence.

FWIW, I'm sticking with CAR over TEN this week. I think TEN has more upside, but also more risk--they've been very up and down, and now on the road. I'm a favorite in my matchup, though. If I were an underdog, I'd go with TEN.
Sticking with CAR this week. HUGE game for them at home. My league is heavy on points for sacks, turnovers, etc. and not as much so on points against, so that's factoring into my decision as well.
My league factors in points allowed, but Roddy White being out for Atlanta does change things for me. And the fact that the Panthers are at home. But also, because to me, the Panthers defense have been more consistently good than the Titans defense. It won't surprise me though if Tennessee defense scores more points. I am going with my first impulse, which is the Panthers defense.

Another great game for the CAR D. I would definitely try to hold them for the favorable games coming up. And if your WW D cupboard is bare I'm not so sure they won't be at least decent vs. @ SF and hosting NE. And after that? MIA and TB! Then NYJ in week 15.

Rolling with Carolina/Buffalo from here on out.
Good grief, I just looked at the Bills' remaining schedule. I'm not sure how I missed that. I think I may have to dump the Titans defense for the Bills!

Week 10 @ Pittsburgh

Week 11 vs. NY Jets

Week 12 BYE (Panthers are at Miami)

Week 13 vs. Atlanta

Week 14 @ Tampa Bay

Week 15 @ Jacksonville

Week 16 vs. Miami

Big mistake by me going with Tenn over Carolina

Tenn negative 8 points in my league

Carolina positive 8 points

I’m pretty sure I will lose because of this decision :wall: :kicksrock:

Do we trust them next week against the 49ers? I know they have a tough stretch coming up, but they've been playing so well lately, it's hard to not give them the benefit of the doubt.

Do we trust them next week against the 49ers? I know they have a tough stretch coming up, but they've been playing so well lately, it's hard to not give them the benefit of the doubt.
Ugh, all you write is so true. But I don't know...SF seems like a very tall order. And then NE after that? My first thought is to take a two week hiatus from the Panthers D until Week 12 when they face Miami.

I'm starting 'em, but I don't trust 'em. In a league in which everyone rosters 2 defenses and my defenses are Carolina + KC. I'm not dropping either no matter their opponent until maybe week 16 if I make it that far.

In a more shallow league I'd be more trigger happy though.

Yeah I feel the same way. I'm guess it depends who you have on waivers. I'm going to try and pick up Buffalo or maybe Houston D to try and hedge my bets a little for next couple of weeks and playoffs.

While it was probably a week too early, I dumped them for a combo of the Titans and Texans down the stretch. Face the Jags 4 times.

Going a step further, If I can fit the Bills and Browns on my roster for single weeks, It's possible to swing a matchup against the Jaguars for 6 of the final 7 games. All 4 of these DST's are waiver worthy IF you have the room down the stretch.

So just what are you CAR D owners doing after a couple days of mulling this over? Starting @ SF? Or benching? Releasing?

Users who are viewing this thread