What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car Insurance / Wreck Question (1 Viewer)

coopersdad

Footballguy
Question for anyone that has any expertise or experience, sorry for so long.

Son's car was back ended in OK at the end of June. Driver did not have license (30 year old), but car did have insurance (via Grandma). Small local insurance company in OKC area.

Rear quarter panel and bumper need to be replaced, but he was able to drive it back to Fort Worth area.

Call insurance and all is good. They accept liability, yada yada, tell me to find a place to get it repaired.

I start w/ the local Service Kings, but they are so full (and back order of supply chain) that they will not deal with small insurance companies.
I try several local shops in our community. None of them will deal with the small agency either.
Call back insurance company and explain the issue............they ask if I can bring the car to OKC. "no" in no uncertain terms.

I ask them to provide me w/ a list of shops in my area that they'll deal with and I finally get set up w/ a MAACO shop about 35 miles away, however they can't get the car in for almost 8 weeks. MAACO contacts the insurance company who sends them a check to order the parts and sets up my drop off date on 8/19.

When I drop it off I get told "we'll be right on it". Get a ride to the ENTERPRISE agency down the street. I get the full Seinfeld treatment of "we don't have a car" for you, please be patient. 2 hours later I finally get a shoe box with wheels, but I don't care, it just has to get me to and from work for a bit.

Today (almost 2 weeks later) I get a message from Enterprise telling me that the insurance agency will stop paying for the car next Friday. I'm like "what"? So I call MAACO to find out the status and they tell me that "almost" all the parts have arrived so they should be able "go downhill" starting next Tuesday. I ask "no way that's done by Friday" and I explain the rental issue. They say "we'll call them next Tuesday and explain things regarding the supply chain, and it should be taken care of".

Obviously I can't get ahold of the insurance company before next Tuesday, but is there anything I need to do or worry about getting an extension on the "shoebox"?

edit to add.........I'm pretty sure I can just contact my insurance and get it covered there as I have rental coverage insurance.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Son's car was back ended in OK at the end of June. Driver did not have license (30 year old), but car did have insurance (via Grandma). Small local insurance company in OKC area.

Rear quarter panel and bumper need to be replaced, but he was able to drive it back to Fort Worth area.

Call insurance and all is good. They accept liability, yada yada, tell me to find a place to get it repaired.

I start w/ the local Service Kings, but they are so full (and back order of supply chain) that they will not deal with small insurance companies.
I try several local shops in our community. None of them will deal with the small agency either.
Call back insurance company and explain the issue............they ask if I can bring the car to OKC. "no" in no uncertain terms.

I ask them to provide me w/ a list of shops in my area that they'll deal with and I finally get set up w/ a MAACO shop about 35 miles away, however they can't get the car in for almost 8 weeks. MAACO contacts the insurance company who sends them a check to order the parts and sets up my drop off date on 8/19.

When I drop it off I get told "we'll be right on it". Get a ride to the ENTERPRISE agency down the street. I get the full Seinfeld treatment of "we don't have a car" for you, please be patient. 2 hours later I finally get a shoe box with wheels, but I don't care, it just has to get me to and from work for a bit.

Today (almost 2 weeks later) I get a message from Enterprise telling me that the insurance agency will stop paying for the car next Friday. I'm like "what"? So I call MAACO to find out the status and they tell me that "almost" all the parts have arrived so they should be able "go downhill" starting next Tuesday. I ask "no way that's done by Friday" and I explain the rental issue. They say "we'll call them next Tuesday and explain things regarding the supply chain, and it should be taken care of".

Obviously I can't get ahold of the insurance company before next Tuesday, but is there anything I need to do or worry about getting an extension on the "shoebox"?

edit to add.........I'm pretty sure I can just contact my insurance and get it covered there as I have rental coverage insurance.

Thanks.

Sorry for the "you should have", but yes you should have used your company from the beginning and have them subrogate to recover expenses from the at fault driver's company. I would recommend you contact your company to ask them to intervene from here.

Thanks.

Sorry for the "you should have", but yes you should have used your company from the beginning and have them subrogate to recover expenses from the at fault driver's company. I would recommend you contact your company to ask them to intervene from here.
I’ve always understood it as that whenever you go through your insurance that’s a knock against you even if it’s not your fault. It’s still a accident.

Thanks.

I’ve always understood it as that whenever you go through your insurance that’s a knock against you even if it’s not your fault. It’s still a accident.

It will show on the claims record as a "Collision" claim, but it will also show as "Not At Fault" if the other company accepted liability on behalf of their client. And it should not impact rates with your company.

Always contact your insurance carrier first. Handling claims is their job and what you pay them for. It's a waste of time dealing with the other driver's insurer especially when you don't have any experience with the process.

update..................so the insurance company kept me in the rental on their dime. Car was supposed to be ready last Friday. Nope.

Then it was supposed to be ready on Tuesday afternoon. So on Monday afternoon I called to make sure that they were going to be ready AND that they had tested the reverse camera and put in my son's bass box in the trunk and hooked it up.

Get a call from them yesterday morning "did you provide your old bumper to us? and did you have reverse sensors in it?". No, I say, you ordered the part and Yes it had reverse sensors. He says he'll get back w/ me.

12pm a lady calls from the front desk and introduces herself. Says that the lady that I've been dealing w/ is no longer with the company, and that there was an issue with the bumper (they ordered the wrong one) and that they were going to manually fix the one that they have. I say "no", you'll need to get the proper part and use it. They now say that it "might" be done on Friday if they can find all the parts.

And yes, next time I will go straight through my insurance company and let them deal w/ this crap.

update..................so the insurance company kept me in the rental on their dime. Car was supposed to be ready last Friday. Nope.

Then it was supposed to be ready on Tuesday afternoon. So on Monday afternoon I called to make sure that they were going to be ready AND that they had tested the reverse camera and put in my son's bass box in the trunk and hooked it up.

Get a call from them yesterday morning "did you provide your old bumper to us? and did you have reverse sensors in it?". No, I say, you ordered the part and Yes it had reverse sensors. He says he'll get back w/ me.

12pm a lady calls from the front desk and introduces herself. Says that the lady that I've been dealing w/ is no longer with the company, and that there was an issue with the bumper (they ordered the wrong one) and that they were going to manually fix the one that they have. I say "no", you'll need to get the proper part and use it. They now say that it "might" be done on Friday if they can find all the parts.

And yes, next time I will go straight through my insurance company and let them deal w/ this crap.

Man I hate dealing with repair shops. They’re always trying to skimp on the repairs.

Whatever you do- DO NOT sign off until EVERYTHING is in the condition you want. Take your time looking at every single thing at every angle.

Users who are viewing this thread