What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Casey Matthews (1 Viewer)

BearsFan

Footballguy
There was some earlier feedback in the Shark Pool PHI thread that Matthews played OK, but I see that he didn't show up on the box score at all, despite starting.

I'd expect my MLB to make at least a few tackles.

How long did he play? I'd think that, as a rookie, they'd want him in there to get the experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
He personally looked tentative to me. Was caught out of position a few times on the limited plays that he did have. I don't think he has the skillset right now to be a 3 down LB'er. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved over to the weak side and Chaney move to MLB before this preseason is over.

He personally looked tentative to me. Was caught out of position a few times on the limited plays that he did have.
The bolded should be expected from most rookies because of the loss of OTAs. Reading into this year's preseason games will be quite a bit different for that reason, especially the early games. I wouldn't overreact to what Matthews did in the first game.

if you have Matthews it would be a good idea to grab Chaney if you can get him late in a draft!!! One of these two will be in the middle and both will play three downs regardless where they land on the field!!

Have yet to see the 2nd game yet.

However from my quick observation Matthews keeps getting flushed out of position, which is horrible.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6591/casey-matthews

Eagles MLB Casey Matthews "looked slow and confused at times, and physically overmatched at others" in Thursday's 24-14 loss to the Steelers, according to ESPN.com's Dan Graziano.

The game was a nightmare for Eagles fans concerned about linebacker and safety. It was obvious to even the casual observer that Matthews and FS Nate Allen -- returning from knee surgery -- were over-matched. Beat writers are already discussing the possibility of moving Jamar Chaney to the middle and inserting Keenan Clayton into the starting lineup. Alternatively, they could kick the tires on Lofa Tatupu.

Haven't seen the game yet, but the Twitter reviews were universally poor.

Definitely had issues last week and the Steelers are a strong power running team. Won't be surprising to find that he struggled more this week.

Matthews has no place in the middle!!! He needs to be moved to the week side and I am not so sure Chaney is the man for the middle either but he would make more sense than Matthews!! I think Tutupa wold be a smart move but I dont know if the can afford to make anymore move!!

If he was named Casey Johnson or Casey Williams, i don't think he would have been drafted let alone pushed into the starters roll. He didn't just struggle a few plays here and there, it was just ugly.

Future reference, stay away from ALL Eagle LBs in IDP leagues lol

Yep, it was a disaster in my opinion. He did not look good out there at all. Seemed a step slow at times to the ball and was blocked out of a lot of plays.

If he was named Casey Johnson or Casey Williams, i don't think he would have been drafted let alone pushed into the starters roll. He didn't just struggle a few plays here and there, it was just ugly. Future reference, stay away from ALL Eagle LBs in IDP leagues lol
:goodposting: I can't add much more. Outside of Jenkins (and Cole) the DL is still poor. granted they started 2 new DTs but it looks like the same-old same-old as last year. The DEs are undersized pass-rushes as well.And then there are the safeties...All in all a poor performance all around. Coleman had a bunch of tackles cleaning up from the front 7. Allen doesn't look too great either. Not much of Dream team so poor down the middle (DT, LB, S)

I wouldn't take too much from one preseason game. Casey is a rookie and will take more than his fair share of lumps while climbing the learning curve to the NFL. To be fair, the entire team on both sides of the ball really stunk- it was like everyone was just going thru the motions. Add the fact that the Steelers were trying to make a statement after they came out flat the week before and it was no surpise at the end result.

The biggest issue I see with Casey, is that the Eagles are in win now mode after bringing in some top free agent talent. If Casey ends up being a huge liability they will need to shuffle things up.

How did Chaney look? Would he succeed if moved back to the middle?
I don't think anyone on the defense looked particularly good- although I was focused primarily on Matthews. Most of them seemed out of sorts and I lay most of the blame on Juan Castillo (DC). The Steelers were able to run at will on the Eagles and got very little pressure on Big Ben or Leftwich. Chaney is considered an option as he played the middle toward the end of last season and did ok. I think they will give it another week, before making any changes- but have been wrong before :wall:

What about Coleman? I thought he looked pretty good cleaning up the mess. He was flying around the ball just like he did at Ohio State.

Matthews was overdrafted, and has looked completely mismatched during the preseason. If we go into the season with him starting in the Mike, we are going to feel really stupid for having spent $11 per year on Nnamdi plus adding all those other pieces. Can. Not. Happen.

:no:

the confused part is more understandable for a rookie... some observers of the NFL scene have exhorted patience with rookies, as they didn't have normal time and reps for scheme installations...

though LB, like RB is one of more instinctive positions on either side of the field, but maybe MLB has more responsibilities than, say, SLB...

more disturbing is physically outmatched part of above quote, but there, too, maybe if he isn't thinking as much, he can get to spots faster, and look less physically outmatched...

i was surprised, with everybody, they didn't have chaney at MLB and matthews at WLB, especially given chaney looked decent in the middle last year... chaney was 7th rounder, i think, but may have been fastest LB at combine... wouldn't surprise me if they make that switch this week, before the next game...

it seems like in the reid era, the first and third levels were heavily prioritized in terms of draft capital and proportionate salary cap cost... LBs have sort of been the ugly, red headed, freckled step children of the defensive position groups, so to speak... trotter had some success, but he was a UFA (?)... they traded for witherspoon, but inexplicably let him walk (did he play that bad, or maybe he wasn't worth what he was making, in their estimation?)... bradley showed signs of being a very good player, but he had the knee injury, than multiple injuries last year (dislocated elbow, concussion), so i can understand not wanting to committ to him...

the late DC johnson had a bend but don't break philosophy (a sub-text here may be that it was anticipated that his leadership would be hard to replace, but the level of difficulty may have been underestimated?)... having smaller LBs may have been acceptable... it is hard in salary cap era to have stars at every level (the giants, incidentally, along with eagles stops for rams HC spags, seem to have a similar philosophy of late, prioritizing DL & DB at expense of LB)... yards were acceptable if not accompanied by TDs... for years, PHI not among league leaders in yardage stats, but were very good in scoring defense... when in the red zone, things are more compressed, and athletic DL & DBs could make plays, lack of elite, blue chip LB talent can maybe be more hidden...

for years, though, it has been a near cliche that PHI vulnerable to smashmouth, power running attacks... i'm not enough of a student of eagles history to conjecture if, with all the playoff flirtations, if the problems were sometimes related to almost institutionally short shrifting the position?

reid is also known for liking lineman a lot, on offense and defense, and no question that controlling the trenches is important... but sometimes the KIND of DL they got were quicker, athletic types, but again, vulnerabe to power attack...

its hard to not wonder if, some of those years, what their defense would have been like if they had drafted a stud, high pedigree LB, like ryans, willis, beason, lofton, laurinaitis, etc?

'Jason Wood said:
Matthews was overdrafted, and has looked completely mismatched during the preseason. If we go into the season with him starting in the Mike, we are going to feel really stupid for having spent $11 per year on Nnamdi plus adding all those other pieces. Can. Not. Happen.

:no:
Yup, you nailed it. So tired of hearing about this "dream team". This defense is a sieve! CB was not the problem. Getting pressure and getting run on up the gut WAS!It's been years since I've backed Andy Reid. I'm tired of him NOT to giving credence to LB's. He has been undersized for years. Want to beat the Eagles? Run right at them! And they can't stay with a TE either!

It's so aggravating being a fan. Their failure to adjust is maddening.

From Rotoworld:

Coach Andy Reid confirmed Saturday that the Eagles will continue to give rookie Casey Matthews all of their first-team snaps at middle linebacker.

Matthews is struggling to shed blocks and still doesn't seem to know the Eagles' system, so he must be an absolute favorite of new defensive coordinator Juan Castillo. We're skeptical as to how long Matthews will keep the job. As long as he does, Matthews will remain one of the top rookie IDP linebackers

didn't realize how bad the PHI defense was last year (i realize the DC was replaced)...

in 53 RZ trips, opponents put it in the end zone 43 times...

that is shockingly bad...

Interesting comments from Castillo. I wonder what this means in terms of Chaney's value..both on the possibility of moving back to the middle and as a hybrid role does this increase his chances at big plays...

The Eagles seem to have a fallback plan in which they could move Chaney back to the middle, where he played last year. Castillo, however, was quick to point out the importance the Eagles place on the strongside linebacker in what they are looking to accomplish.

"That SAM linebacker, I don’t know if you noticed that, that’s a special position for us," Castillo said. "It’s almost a hybrid. He’s got to be able to run, but yet, he’s got to be able to come in there and take on that C gap. That’s a pretty important position to us. He’s a pretty good player, playing a position that’s very important for us.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/Castillo-Young-linebackers-will-be-ready-to-win-the-Super-Bowl.html

They’re asking a lot of the middle linebacker right now because of the way the defensive ends and tackles are flying upfield at the snap of the ball. Chaney showed me that he can work through the trash and find the ball, but I don’t know if Matthews can do that. It’s a lot to ask for a rookie who hasn’t had much of a chance to get to know the system.Made this very argument in response to a Twitter comment that getting Patterson and Dixon back would help.

'Jene Bramel said:
'Badm said:
They’re asking a lot of the middle linebacker right now because of the way the defensive ends and tackles are flying upfield at the snap of the ball. Chaney showed me that he can work through the trash and find the ball, but I don’t know if Matthews can do that. It’s a lot to ask for a rookie who hasn’t had much of a chance to get to know the system.Made this very argument in response to a Twitter comment that getting Patterson and Dixon back would help.
Seems like Brian Rolle is the sneaky sleeper here if they want to leave Chaney where he is. If he can handle it at OSU, maybe he can for the Iggles

I unfortunately didn't Watch tonight's preseason game vs. The browns but according to the espn box score Matthews wsas credited with 4 solos, an assist and a pass defensed. Is this a sign that he's starting to 'get it'? Can someone who watched the game chime in on how he looked tonight?

I unfortunately didn't Watch tonight's preseason game vs. The browns but according to the espn box score Matthews wsas credited with 4 solos, an assist and a pass defensed. Is this a sign that he's starting to 'get it'? Can someone who watched the game chime in on how he looked tonight?
I thought he looked a lot more comfortable versus the Browns than he did versus the Steelers. He seemed to have a better jump on his reads. They did give him a lot of work- I think he played well into the 3rd quarter. Of course the Eagles Defense as a whole had a much better game. From what I saw, Mathews is coming out on Nickel downs so that is going to limit his short term upside, but I was much more encouraged by his play this past week. Again, he is a rookie and with limited OTA's and training camp he is going to take some lumps, but I think the Eagles want to stick by him.

Seems like Brian Rolle is the sneaky sleeper here if they want to leave Chaney where he is. If he can handle it at OSU, maybe he can for the Iggles
Brian Rolle was always good at sorting through the trash but his size is/has always limited him.

After watching how Matthews was substituted in certain subpackage situations against the Browns, I think Jamar Chaney is the LB you want to have in this LB corps. Matthews can improve and they clearly plan to give him every opportunity to do so and get on the field, but I find it hard to trust him right now.

I drafted CM as an LB3, hoping he can retain the middle based on his week 3 performance
I think they hope to utilize him a bit like Tampa with Mason Foster- let him man the Mike in base formations and pull him out in Nickel packages. This will give him an opportunity to get some reps without having to concentrate on too many things and get more comfortable calling the defense. The first 4 weeks will be critical IMO- if he performs well they may add him into nickel situations, if he doesn't they may look to make a change and move him out of the middle all together. Of course a lot will have to do whether they are winning or losing games as well. When you win- you seem to overlook your sins a bit more as when you lose everything goes under the microscope.

Users who are viewing this thread