What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cedric Wilson has signed with Steelers (2 Viewers)

I'll take a "slow" receiver who averages about 20 yards per catch anytime.

His attitude isn't poor at all. His attitude is that he wants to be more involved, which is not a bad attitude at all. At no point in his time in Pittsburgh did you or anyone else hear him complain publicly about wanting the ball more until after the loss against the Patriots, and that was 100% justified. His downfield blocking has dramatically improved - probably from playing with Ward.

And his inconsistency catching the ball sometimes is puzzling, but I'm interested to see what he does when he KNOWS going into each and every week that he'll be a part of the game-plan.

I've repeatedly said that he doesn't play up to his size - occasionally making poor adjustments or mis-timing his jumps. And I've said he's not elite - just very good.
Fair enough. I however think he will not be as good elsewhere an that teams around the leage notice the things you and I have just sited. Which is why his stock is falling and he is finding FA is not all that he dreamed it would be. :lol:

I agree with anyone who says he's not worth the money he's asking for. It's clear right now that he's not going to get it, yet the Steelers decide to "fix" their WR situaiton by signing Cedrick Wilson. That's a joke. The Rooneys must have had a personal issue with Burress, because his price is clearly coming down.
But this is a staple of the Steelers. Let go high priced, what appear to be very good FAs and replace them with what the general public considers less talented and cheap replacements. It works out just fine for them most years. We normally notice after the high priced guy leaves Pitt, he was not as good as originally thought and that the new guy is more than adequate.
And they haven't won a Super Bowl in 25 years. At some point, you need to keep key pieces in place, and yes, I considered Burress' presense across from Ward as a key piece of the offense. I understand that they normally have guys ready to step in, but in this case I don't think they do. I think it's just as much a personal thing against Plaxico as it is replacing his talent.

If anything, Burress is BETTER than he showed in the Steelers' system. I don't think the Steelers offensive scheme made Burress look better than he really is. If he lands in a passing offense, he's going to be huge.

I'm sure Randle El is an "adequate" NFL receiver. In my opinion, he's going to be trying to replace one who's much better than that.
I'm still trying to figure out (and have been for 2 yrs) why you think a "deep threat" and big WR who:1. Is slow

2. Does not create very good seperation in rts

3. Never creates YAC

4. Makes poor adjustments to the ball

5. Dispite being one of the tallest WRs in the league is a bad Redzone option

6. Has a poor attitude

7. Is inconsistent at catching the ball

Is so freaking great. :shrug:

Anything I missed Steeler fans...... :devil: :boxing:
You're right about most, if not all, of this...but what we think is irrelevant. It's what opposing defensive coordinators think that matters to this offense. If Randle-El can command as much attention downfield as Burress does, we'll be fine.
Or, as I said before, if Ward commands the attention and ARE can catch the ball, you'll be fine.I'd avoid Ward in FF, but the Pitt O won't falter much if at all.

I agree with anyone who says he's not worth the money he's asking for.  It's clear right now that he's not going to get it, yet the Steelers decide to "fix" their WR situaiton by signing Cedrick Wilson.  That's a joke.  The Rooneys must have had a personal issue with Burress, because his price is clearly coming down.
But this is a staple of the Steelers. Let go high priced, what appear to be very good FAs and replace them with what the general public considers less talented and cheap replacements. It works out just fine for them most years. We normally notice after the high priced guy leaves Pitt, he was not as good as originally thought and that the new guy is more than adequate.
And they haven't won a Super Bowl in 25 years. At some point, you need to keep key pieces in place, and yes, I considered Burress' presense across from Ward as a key piece of the offense. I understand that they normally have guys ready to step in, but in this case I don't think they do. I think it's just as much a personal thing against Plaxico as it is replacing his talent.

If anything, Burress is BETTER than he showed in the Steelers' system. I don't think the Steelers offensive scheme made Burress look better than he really is. If he lands in a passing offense, he's going to be huge.

I'm sure Randle El is an "adequate" NFL receiver. In my opinion, he's going to be trying to replace one who's much better than that.
I'm still trying to figure out (and have been for 2 yrs) why you think a "deep threat" and big WR who:1. Is slow

3. Never creates YAC

6. Has a poor attitude

I post this, somewhat, in jest.
Superb athlete who is regarded as the prototype receiver of the future...Possesses great height, long arms and explosive acceleration...Has an array of moves off the snap, using his hands well to get a strong push off the defenders to prevent the jam...Deep threat who has a smooth, effortless, gliding style running with the ball...Excellent leaper who uses his size to shield defenders from the ball...Crisp in his routes, showing the balance and agility to easily slip through the zone... Holds the ball securely after the catch and will extend aggressively in traffic to get to the ball... Explosive out of his cuts, showing good concentration...Very loose in his movements, making quick stops and starts while displaying nimble stutterstep moves...Recently timed at 4.37 in the 40-yard dash...Established a Big Ten Conference season record by catching 65 passes in his first season of collegiate football...Excels on the special team coverage units, using his outstanding leaping ability as a kick blocker...Despite only playing two seasons for the Spartans, he ranks third on the school’s career-record list with 131 receptions, topped only by Courtney Hawkins (138, 1988-91) and Andre Rison (146, 1985-88)...His 2155 yards rank fourth in school annals while only Kirk Gibson (24, 1975-78) had more touchdown catches than his 20.
linkThe part that is not in jest, however is the 40 time. Plax is fast. I won't deny that for a second. He does get seperation, too. NEVER creates YAC?!? That's a pretty bold statement. The rest is true. I'll give you that.

Just thought I'd plat some devil's advocate here. :devil:

I'm still trying to figure out (and have been for 2 yrs) why you think a "deep And his inconsistency catching the ball sometimes is puzzling, but I'm interested to see what he does when he KNOWS going into each and every week that he'll be a part of the game-plan.
why does plax have to KNOW that he'll be part of the game plan to concentrate? ARE didnt have lapses of concentration because he wasnt assured of getting 10 targets a week by the coaching staff.also, plax has no room to complain about lack of targets when he dropped the TD that would have put us within one TD of NE in the AFC title game. he also dropped an easy catch when he was WIDE OPEN that could have salted away the playoff game vs. tenn 3 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
that 4.37 was probably on a friendly track with a friendly timer. I'm as big a Plax fan as they come, but he is not that fast. His combine time was 4.59

Cedrick Wilson's official combine time was 4.55:

Link

Disclaimer: I am a Steeler fan who is largely pleased with this signing. :unsure:

I agree with anyone who says he's not worth the money he's asking for.  It's clear right now that he's not going to get it, yet the Steelers decide to "fix" their WR situaiton by signing Cedrick Wilson.  That's a joke.  The Rooneys must have had a personal issue with Burress, because his price is clearly coming down.

3. Never creates YAC

6. Has a poor attitude

I post this, somewhat, in jest.
Superb athlete who is regarded as the prototype receiver of the future...Possesses great height, long arms and explosive acceleration...Has an array of moves off the snap, using his hands well to get a strong push off the defenders to prevent the jam...Deep threat who has a smooth, effortless, gliding style running with the ball...Excellent leaper who uses his size to shield defenders from the ball...Crisp in his routes, showing the balance and agility to easily slip through the zone... Holds the ball securely after the catch and will extend aggressively in traffic to get to the ball... Explosive out of his cuts, showing good concentration...Very loose in his movements, making quick stops and starts while displaying nimble stutterstep moves...Recently timed at 4.37 in the 40-yard dash...Established a Big Ten Conference season record by catching 65 passes in his first season of collegiate football...Excels on the special team coverage units, using his outstanding leaping ability as a kick blocker...Despite only playing two seasons for the Spartans, he ranks third on the school’s career-record list with 131 receptions, topped only by Courtney Hawkins (138, 1988-91) and Andre Rison (146, 1985-88)...His 2155 yards rank fourth in school annals while only Kirk Gibson (24, 1975-78) had more touchdown catches than his 20.
linkThe part that is not in jest, however is the 40 time. Plax is fast. I won't deny that for a second. He does get seperation, too. NEVER creates YAC?!? That's a pretty bold statement. The rest is true. I'll give you that.

Just thought I'd plat some devil's advocate here. :devil:
Mental note for self: Never believe or even read a scouting report for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. NEVER AGAIN.It has been well established that Burress is high 4.5-4.6 guy. This does NOT make him fast and it shows on the field!

Last edited by a moderator:

3. Never creates YAC

6. Has a poor attitude

You're right about most, if not all, of this...but what we think is irrelevant. It's what opposing defensive coordinators think that matters to this offense. If Randle-El can command as much attention downfield as Burress does, we'll be fine.
agreed

Must be March if if Cedrick Wilson gets his own, 4 page thread :rotflmao:
we steeler fans are very passionate about our team. an equivalent signing by another team without such a rabid fan base would have not grown to 4 pages.

Lemme add a couple things to this:1. This Randle El's last year of his current contract. Anybody heard the word "extension" mentioned with his name? Anyone? :crickets chirp:2. This is the Steelers we're talkin' about . For the amount of money they spent on Wilson, he's probably gonna be WR2 not 3.just my $.02

Lemme add a couple things to this:

1. This Randle El's last year of his current contract. Anybody heard the word "extension" mentioned with his name? Anyone? :crickets chirp:

2. This is the Steelers we're talkin' about . For the amount of money they spent on Wilson, he's probably gonna be WR2 not 3.

just my $.02
I agree. They brought Wilson in to at least compete for the #2 this year. Then they'll take a wait and see approach with ARE. And of course they just might draft a replacement this year in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Something to consider from the article:

Wilson had career bests in receptions (47), yards (641) and touchdowns (three) in 2004, despite playing with inexperienced San Francisco quarterbacks. Thirty-five of his catches produced first downs. Over the past two seasons, in which his playing time was markedly increased, he produced first downs on 71.9 percent of his receptions.
A few other points:1) It wasn't a question of choosing between Plex and Wilson - Plex was leaving the Steelers. Period.2) The passing game will never be the focus of the offense as long as their defense continues to perform at such a high level. In addition, Wilson looks like he won't even be #2 - he'll be behind both Ward and Randle El at the #3 position. He won't see many passes.3) Based on the article, I would give him the benefit of the doubt and predicthe will probably do as much as can be expected from a #3 with few opportunities.

Wilson had career bests in receptions (47), yards (641) and touchdowns (three) in 2004, despite playing with inexperienced San Francisco quarterbacks. Thirty-five of his catches produced first downs. Over the past two seasons, in which his playing time was markedly increased, he produced first downs on 71.9 percent of his receptions.
A few other points:1) It wasn't a question of choosing between Plex and Wilson - Plex was leaving the Steelers. Period.

2) The passing game will never be the focus of the offense as long as their defense continues to perform at such a high level. In addition, Wilson looks like he won't even be #2 - he'll be behind both Ward and Randle El at the #3 position. He won't see many passes.

3) Based on the article, I would give him the benefit of the doubt and predicthe will probably do as much as can be expected from a #3 with few opportunities.
Not true the Steelers signed him to play the X which they believe Randel El is not physical enough to play in. I think Wilson could be a very good signing.

A few other points:1) It wasn't a question of choosing between Plex and Wilson - Plex was leaving the Steelers. Period.

2) The passing game will never be the focus of the offense as long as their defense continues to perform at such a high level. In addition, Wilson looks like he won't even be #2 - he'll be behind both Ward and Randle El at the #3 position. He won't see many passes.

3) Based on the article, I would give him the benefit of the doubt and predicthe will probably do as much as can be expected from a #3 with few opportunities.
Not true the Steelers signed him to play the X which they believe Randel El is not physical enough to play in. I think Wilson could be a very good signing.
Actually, there hasn't been a determination as to who will be the starter opposite Ward. I'd love to know where you got that info, because nothing like that has been reported in Pittsburgh at any point.Randle El is about 10 pounds heavier than Wilson and familiar with both the system and Roethlisberger. The smart money will put Randle El starting and Wilson in the slot.

Actually, there hasn't been a determination as to who will be the starter opposite Ward. I'd love to know where you got that info, because nothing like that has been reported in Pittsburgh at any point.Randle El is about 10 pounds heavier than Wilson and familiar with both the system and Roethlisberger. The smart money will put Randle El starting and Wilson in the slot.
Sporting news.... Says that they signed Wilson because of his speed. Goes on to explain the X position is designed for big plays and deep passes and Wilson should be a good fit. 7 inches shorter then Burress but has speed ot beat CB's. Finally it says coaches are concerned that El does not have the strength to survive in the X.... I misquoted a little bit. Wilson is not a for sure by any means but sounds like he'll get a chance to start.

Sporting news.... Says that they signed Wilson because of his speed. Goes on to explain the X position is designed for big plays and deep passes and Wilson should be a good fit. 7 inches shorter then Burress but has speed ot beat CB's. Finally it says coaches are concerned that El does not have the strength to survive in the X.... I misquoted a little bit. Wilson is not a for sure by any means but sounds like he'll get a chance to start.
ESPN reports "Randle El will likely move to starter":LINK

It is expected that three-year veteran Antwaan Randle El, utilized primarily as the No. 3 wide receiver in the past and with only eight starts on his resume, will move in the lineup to replace Burress

Users who are viewing this thread