What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charles Johnson - WR Grand Valley State (1 Viewer)

This ship may have sailed. Taylor Gabriel is getting more pub from the local guys, per the coaching staff, than him.

The regular season hasn't started yet, and even if he bombs, what was anyone's meaningful investment anyhow? He's a great late flyer, no more, right now.

The regular season hasn't started yet, and even if he bombs, what was anyone's meaningful investment anyhow? He's a great late flyer, no more, right now.

Rotoworld:

Second-year WR Charles Johnson made the Browns' 53-man roster.

At 6'2/215 with 4.38 wheels, we wouldn't rule out an impact for Johnson as long as his reconstructed knee holds up. He'd give the Browns' receiving corps something they currently lack -- natural size/speed ability. They are currently set to start Miles Austin and Andrew Hawkins. Johnson had six catches for 65 yards on 115 preseason snaps.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Aug 31 - 11:41 AM

Yeah, I'm surprised by this. If he couldn't even make CLE's current 53 you have to imagine there's something terribly wrong here. I was all ready to waste some FAAB $ on this guy in a couple weeks too. Oh well.

Yeah, I'm surprised by this. If he couldn't even make CLE's current 53 you have to imagine there's something terribly wrong here. I was all ready to waste some FAAB $ on this guy in a couple weeks too. Oh well.
Well, he did have a serious injury not too long ago right? Maybe he hasn't fully recovered or maybe he won't.

Well, he did have a serious injury not too long ago right? Maybe he hasn't fully recovered or maybe he won't.
I was paying attention to him during CLE's preseason games and he looked pretty good/healthy to me. I remember in the opener he caught a screen, cut inside and took off for a 15 yard gain; his knee looked healthy enough there. You can find it around the 2:40 mark in these highlights.

In practice he played small as he always struggled to beat the jam at the line. Had good hands and quickness. Would take a creative OC to play to his few strengths, and Shanahan wasn't the right guy. Byrd is about same size as Johnson so he'll have a legit chance to quickly gain a significant role, since rest of Browns WR's are smurfs.

I'm holding onto Johnson for a little bit longer. Maybe a decent organization will sign him and he can work his way up.

Rotoworld:

Browns signed WR Charles Johnson to their practice squad.

He obviously passed through waivers unclaimed -- no other NFL teams wanted him -- but the Browns still see potential here. If LaRon Byrd or Taylor Gabriel fails to impress this regular season, Johnson could get an in-season callup.

@caplannfl: #Vikings announced: Signed WR Charles Johnson off #Browns practice squad.

@caplannfl: #Vikings OC Norv Turner and his son Scott worked with Charles Johnson for a few months last season with the #Browns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been pretty close to cutting him. Glad I hung on for a bit. I'm hoping the fact that he wasn't on the roster for the Browns was due to the ineptitude of the Browns and not his lack of talent. All reports all camp were very positive. He did well in preseason but nothing spectacular. Hopefully a change of scenery will help him.

Probably a dumb question, but the Vikings have to keep him in their active roster, right? You can't just sign someone from another teams practice squad and then just put him on your practice squad?

So he got a lot of targets and made a few catches today. Anyone watch him?
Yep. Looked pretty good from what I saw. It's not like there is much competition either. Jennings is old. Patterson is just another Robert Meachem. Fast and nothing else.

I hope he gets some more opportunities the rest of the season. It took a couple injuries for him to get out there, but maybe now that he's done well they will give him some more.

He's an athletic freak. If he can catch the ball and move the chains, I don't see why teams wouldn't want him out there. It blows my mind how he's been bouncing around the league. I'm glad I was arrogant and held onto him.

Jennings is playing. If they are dumb enough to start a worthless turd like Patterson over a guy that A. can get open which Patterson cannot, and B. can catch the football which Patterson sucks at, then they really should be fired.

Unless you are desperate I wouldn't start a Vikings WR. Bad passing game and they spread it around A LOT.

Signed,

A Vikes Fan

1st series Stinkwater twice towards Johnson one wide open way overthrown. Could be locked into him.

1st series Stinkwater twice towards Johnson one wide open way overthrown. Could be locked into him.
And really...learn to see what actually happened - miscommunication between WR/QB - CJ turned to the sideline and Bridgewater thought he would continue upfield. They need to be on the same page, but it wasn't the kind of thing that warrants stupid names.

And really...learn to see what actually happened - miscommunication between WR/QB - CJ turned to the sideline and Bridgewater thought he would continue upfield. They need to be on the same page, but it wasn't the kind of thing that warrants stupid names.
Exactly. If anything call him Teddy Bridge Over Troubled Water.

This is really a better contribution.

This is really a better contribution.
Thx. It seems to more accurately describe the current state of the team.

Great! Started him today with a bunch of my guys injured.

Everyone in Cleveland thought they screwed up letting him go.
Of course they did. I don't understand why they never even gave him a chance. Outside of Gordon their WR's are horrible.

For those watching...Who is he getting snaps over? Patterson or Jennings?

Held this guy seemingly forever before giving up sometime earlier in the year in a dynasty league. God the Browns suck.

He's the Viking's best WR. It may be because he's not drawing the top defensive coverage but he has a connection with Touchdown Teddy and he seemingly always has a step or two on his man. It was only a matter of time. :thumbup:

Trade Cordarrelle for a LT.

Users who are viewing this thread