What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Checked myself into a hospital clinic this morning (1 Viewer)

It is a daily job to fight major depression, even with meds and therapy. Keeping busy with your new found interests is just as important. Big kudos to you for getting on the right path, and continued best wishes!

Just seen this thread good job getting help and continued good luck to you.  My wife's been depressed for years and I'm unable to get her help.   I do alot just to try to help with her depression.  So it's nice to hear someone get help and is making a difference.  GL.

huge and great step in the right direction. IMO, the real killer is getting stuck in that place (the depression, not the clinic) and letting it pull you down. taking control in whatever manner is massive- actively seeking help for it, even more so. good luck wiht the clinic, bosox. and please don't hesitate to use the FFA for venting, help, sounding-board, whatever... lots of caring and smaht people in here have your back.
ditto on this.  don't let it get worse.  talk to friends & family.  when you stop communicating it get's dangerous.  You & Life are cool.  You just need to recognize this.  please do.

And remember, all y'all, that a lot of the catalysts of depression & compulsion are just personal weather. It's just like heartburn or bursitis, but it happens in your head so you react to it personally.

Personal weather.

If it rains, you might avoid doing something you planned to do, or dress different, bring an umbrella, maybe even stay in. You don't board the windows & write a will cuz it might be a hurricane. You got gas, you dont stick a cork in your ### & hide in the attic or bury yourself up to the neck & make a ridiculous spectacle of yourself trying to hide a small, personal thing.. You use the control you learned in church or school to manage it long as you can and then blast out a "what crawled up you and died?!" when it's safe. 

Personal weather.

In your head, you get the fall-down-the-well or the "wait, is that rancid, ooo this is rancid. hey, everything's rancid! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....." or the "does ANYTHING i do matter?!", that's not entirely you. How you respond to those things is who you are. You can name those things all you want, but you decide what to do with them. They don't have to win. GL, all y'all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also diagnosed with ADHD as well. Does anyone have experience with taking Adderall? What helps you with work ethic and motivation?

I was also diagnosed with ADHD as well. Does anyone have experience with taking Adderall? What helps you with work ethic and motivation?
feel free to PM is you want. Good thing with medications like Adderall (or Ritialin, Dexedrine, etc.) is that they are the type of meds that you take the first time you get to know if it works or not, and you don't have to build up in your system. Give it a go for a week or 2, and get anyone close to you to give feedback on what they are thinking of you when you are on the meds. 

bosoxs45 said:
There are natural alternatives as well. My 25 y/o son was on men's but switched to LTO3 and swears it helps him more but without any side effects. Good luck with everything.

There are natural alternatives as well. My 25 y/o son was on men's but switched to LTO3 and swears it helps him more but without any side effects. Good luck with everything.
I’d like to hear more about this. Seems like it’s relative for this thread for now but If you feel like it starts to derail the thread I’ll take a PM or start another thread. Please and thanks.

bosoxs45 said:
Update: Got a job interview next Wednesday! I'm excited.
Good luck!

Ive had my bouts with depression and ADHD and it can be crippling. The Jocko Willink and Tim Ferris podcasts help me keep the ball moving. 

I can only add so much since I am only speaking from what I see with my son. He was on a drug called concerta for a few years as an adolescent. It definitely helped him through those years, as he was very hyperactive and always getting into trouble. The down side was that he lost his "self" if you know what I mean. He was still the same kid but lost many of those things that made him ... him. He went off the drugs entirely for a year or so after he graduated high school but he admittedly lost his ability to concentrate for any lengthy period of time.

My wife did a bunch of research and found this LTO3 fish oil and my son started taking it a few years ago. He absolutely swears by it, saying it chills him out enough and let's him think but doesn't make him feel dopey or tired. From my perspective i have to agree with him. It definitely has helped him turn his life around - he just got his ticket as a heavy equipment mechanic and has a full time job that he loves.

bosoxs45 said:
I was diagnosed with mild ADD- no H. Gave me Adderall, which in my case acted like a mild stimulant- no fuzz, daze or being out of it. More like a focused and longer lasting cup of coffee. One of my gbs is truly ADHD, and says the meds like Adderall work opposite in her- she's buzzing all the time and they help her stay calm and maintain focus when she'd otherwise be bouncing off the walls. So...ymmv- but worth trying and adjusting until you find the right med and dose.

ETA.. I'll add that I tried a couple for a limited about of time and felt like I didn't need them, even though the stimulation they gave felt good. But again, no H for me.

I use Ritalin.  It's a personal thing because I had a client whose son died as a result of a combination of a congenital heart defect no one knew about and taking Adderall.  But it's really no different.

It's an absolute Godsend for motivation and focus.  I highly recommend the meds.

cool man.  just remember that when you are down help is a phone call away.  depression is nothing to sneeze at. 

wish you the best for you & yours.

Just lost my psychiatrist and therapist under my new health insurance.

####### sucks, man. 
might suck, might not. will suck for a while, fo sho, but being forced to work differently can be an unintended blessing when you're trying to figure it all out. does your new plan cover therapy at all, cuz that would suck?

Just lost my psychiatrist and therapist under my new health insurance.

####### sucks, man. 
Hey man.  My daughter was very ill a while back.  When she had a recurrence back in October, she required back surgery.  The pediatric neurosurgeon she had treated with in the past was no longer on our plan.  Because of the prior relationship, the doctor's office dealt directly with the insurance company and worked it out so her surgery and follow up care was covered.  Obviously, not apples to apples but it's worth a shot to have your providers contact the insurance company to see if something can be done.  Either way, good luck and glad to hear things, in general, are going better for you.

I use Ritalin.  It's a personal thing because I had a client whose son died as a result of a combination of a congenital heart defect no one knew about and taking Adderall.  But it's really no different.

It's an absolute Godsend for motivation and focus.  I highly recommend the meds.
You take it because you need it, or you don’t really need it but still like the improved performance?

Users who are viewing this thread