What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chicago Cubs 2010 Bandwagon *** (2 Viewers)

Showing some heart tonight
With a little help from the Astros D. But I'll take it.
at this point, I'll take what I can get
Well, those last 8 runs certainly weren't unearned. Wow.As we've been saying all year, if guys like Aramis can produce, this offense is not as bad as it's played. If Colvin and Castro can keep getting on base at the top of the order, it could actually be a pleasant second half.

Bob Brenly (1st choice) or Joe Girardi would be my top 2 to replace Lou.

Ryne Sandberg needs to be an bench or 3rd base coach first for some other team, they can bring him in if lou's replacement does not work out.

Unfortunately with the stadium having empty seats increases the temptation to bring in a fan favorite like Ryne are real powerful. bringing him in would keep the stadium filled even if they are loosing.

ETA: i added the underlined word, i miss typed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob Brenly (1st choice) or Joe Girardi would be my top 2 to replace Lou. Ryne Sandberg needs to be an bench or 3rd base coach first for some other team, they can bring him in if lou's replacement does not work out.Unfortunately with the stadium having empty seats the temptation to bring in a fan favorite like Ryne are real powerful. bringing him in would keep the stadium filled even if they are loosing.
I've really taken to Brenly. I think he'd be an interesting choice, but I also like him in the booth. Len & Bob are a good match.I'm a big fan of Girardi. If he wins another ring, he could come back home and do the job. They'll probably have to overpay to get him though.I don't know much about Sandberg's coaching style. Yeah, the name recognition will excite some of us older fans. Maybe they do go that route if they think they're going to have a rough year next season.

Ryne Sandberg needs to be an bench or 3rd base coach first for some other team, they can bring him in if lou's replacement does not work out.

Unfortunately with the stadium having empty seats increases the temptation to bring in a fan favorite like Ryne are real powerful. bringing him in would keep the stadium filled even if they are loosing.

Why on Earth would Girardi leave the Yankees? No idea why Brenly would be a top choice and I fail to see why Sandberg would need to be a coach in the majors. He already has experience as a manager in the minors and he has experience as a player in MLB. He's put in enough time, so if you want him, you'll likely have to give him this job. Else, some other team will likely give him a shot.

Why on Earth would Girardi leave the Yankees? No idea why Brenly would be a top choice and I fail to see why Sandberg would need to be a coach in the majors. He already has experience as a manager in the minors and he has experience as a player in MLB. He's put in enough time, so if you want him, you'll likely have to give him this job. Else, some other team will likely give him a shot.
1: was raised in Peoria, as a Cub Fan2: went to school here: Northwestern

3: was drafted and was an All-Star w/Cubs

4: NY didn't renew his contract after winning the WS

just a couple quick reasons.

Also, his wife's family lives on the north shore—Deerfield, Highland Park. Very close, old-school Italian family. And I know Joe is very close to them too.

Also, his wife's family lives on the north shore—Deerfield, Highland Park. Very close, old-school Italian family. And I know Joe is very close to them too.
1: So he knows the loveable losers havent won in over a century2: See no reason for this to be seperate from point 1, its the same argument.

3: Played for 3 WS winning Yankee teams and started his coaching career in NY

4: He wouldn't want a renewal (same terms), he'd want an extension with more money/years. The Yankees don't extend ANYONE before their contracts expire. They didn't extend Jeter, they didn't extend Mo. This isn't a slight or an insult or even an indication of the team's desire to retain Girardi - its just a team policy. After all, who's going to outspend them on someone they want to retain? How much more money would the Cubs need to throw at him to come to a team in need of a rebuild over the most dominant franchise in the sport? Would you even want a guy that chose money/hometown over winning?

1: So he knows the loveable losers havent won in over a century2: See no reason for this to be seperate from point 1, its the same argument.

4: He wouldn't want a renewal (same terms), he'd want an extension with more money/years. The Yankees don't extend ANYONE before their contracts expire. They didn't extend Jeter, they didn't extend Mo. This isn't a slight or an insult or even an indication of the team's desire to retain Girardi - its just a team policy. After all, who's going to outspend them on someone they want to retain? How much more money would the Cubs need to throw at him to come to a team in need of a rebuild over the most dominant franchise in the sport? Would you even want a guy that chose money/hometown over winning?
They don't give extensions? Pretty sure A-Rod was still under contract when he signed his new deal. In the end, I believe NY will retain Joe. I was only speculating on why he would consider leaving.

Your question was why on earth would Girardi leave the Yankees. Just trying to help you understand why on earth that would happen. You can add me to the list of people who don't think it will.

They don't give extensions? Pretty sure A-Rod was still under contract when he signed his new deal. In the end, I believe NY will retain Joe. I was only speculating on why he would consider leaving.
Actually, ARod opted out of the final 3 years of his deal during the 2007 World Series and then re-signed with the Yankees.

I've gotten the impression over the past few years that the Cubs have absolutely been grooming Sandberg to manage at the big league level ASAP.

He thinks he can do it. He's been around the best group of prospects the Cubs have had in a long time. He's not a re-tread, which I think would turn a lot of real fans away.

I personally think it's the right thing to do.

Actually, ARod opted out of the final 3 years of his deal during the 2007 World Series and then re-signed with the Yankees.
never would have opted out without knowing the Spankees would re-up. just sayin

never would have opted out without knowing the Spankees would re-up. just sayin
ARod had to push Boras out of the negotiations and go directly to ownership to negotiate. This is one case where they actually would have done an extension because the Rangers were picking up about a third of his salary, and the opt out ended that subsidy. There were significant portions of the front office that had no intention of re-signing him - Cashman included.

I was waiting for this(hoping you forgot)What do you want me to put in my signature?This team is just awfulNot that I'm making excuses either, but should have been interference on the slide at second.
I'll work on it and get back to you. :confused:

Cubs should make Brenly the GM, he has a mustache.

Ditka, mustache and championship. Phil Jackson, mustache and championships. Ozzie mustache and championship. joel quenneville mustache and championship.

its the Mustache

whitem0nkey said:

According to ESPN...In 2009, the Cubs attendance was at 96% of capacity and 6th in MLB in total attendance. This year, 93% and 7th in MLB so far. Not like they have been winning. They won't make a move based on attendance worries.

whitem0nkey said:

According to ESPN...In 2009, the Cubs attendance was at 96% of capacity and 6th in MLB in total attendance. This year, 93% and 7th in MLB so far. Not like they have been winning. They won't make a move based on attendance worries.
a lot of the attendance numbers are tied to season ticket holders, they are counted as attendance but they are empty as fans get tired of going to games that are not fun. when you watch the games you see a lot more empty seats than 7%. and I never heard them say "tickets still available for the next series"I see this as a good thing, this will place more pressure on the Ricketts to put a winner on the field.

Cubs should make Brenly the GM, he has a mustache.Ditka, mustache and championship. Phil Jackson, mustache and championships. Ozzie mustache and championship. joel quenneville mustache and championship.its the Mustache
Looks like you listened to Waddle and Silvy this morning.Cubs won't be a contender next year. I have no idea if Sandberg is going to be good or not, but I am willing to give him a shot. If not him then brenly. I am good with either one. I don't want Bobby Valentine, Freddie Gonzalez or any of those guys. Girardi would be great, but he isn't going anywhere.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry confirmed to Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com that Derrek Lee will not accept a trade.According to Levine, the Rangers and Angels have made offers for Lee over the past 10 days, however Lee wants to remain with the Cubs for the remainder of the season. Lee, 34, is in the final year of a five-year contract.
:wall:

Limp Ditka said:
Cubs general manager Jim Hendry confirmed to Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com that Derrek Lee will not accept a trade.According to Levine, the Rangers and Angels have made offers for Lee over the past 10 days, however Lee wants to remain with the Cubs for the remainder of the season. Lee, 34, is in the final year of a five-year contract.
:lmao:
Why is this funny?Guy is a 10-5 guy, and has earned the right to refuse a trade.Pure speculation is that he wants to stay near his special needs daughter

Limp Ditka said:
:thumbup:
Why is this funny?Guy is a 10-5 guy, and has earned the right to refuse a trade.Pure speculation is that he wants to stay near his special needs daughter
he's rich. he can afford to have her move for 2 months.

Limp Ditka said:
:shrug:
he's rich. he can afford to have her move for 2 months.
Kind of miss the point. He's rich, he doesn't have to move

Rockies 8th

Sean Marshall pitching:

Clint Barmes : Barmes doubled to deep left

Melvin Mora hit for Rafael Betancourt.

Melvin Mora : Mora singled to right, Barmes to third.

Dexter Fowler : Strike swinging, Foul, Ball, Foul, Fowler struck out swinging

Ryan Spilborghs hit for Seth Smith.

Ryan Spilborghs : Strike looking, Strike swinging, Spilborghs struck out looking.

Carlos Gonzalez : Strike swinging, Ball, Gonzalez singled to right, Barmes scored, Mora to second.

Troy Tulowitzki : Ball, Strike looking, Foul, Ball, Tulowitzki doubled to left, Mora scored, Gonzalez to third.

Brad Hawpe : Ball, Strike swinging, Strike looking, Hawpe doubled to deep right, Gonzalez and Tulowitzki scored.

Andrew Cashner relieved Sean Marshall.

Chris Iannetta : Strike looking, Foul, Iannetta tripled to deep center, Hawpe scored.

Ian Stewart : Ball, Ball, Stewart homered to right, Iannetta scored.

Clint Barmes : Strike looking, Barmes singled to right.

Melvin Mora : Ball, Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Mora doubled to center, Barmes scored.

Dexter Fowler : Strike swinging, Ball, Fowler homered to right, Mora scored.

Ryan Spilborghs : Ball, Spilborghs singled to left center.

Brian Schlitter relieved Andrew Cashner.

Carlos Gonzalez : Strike looking, Gonzalez singled to center, Spilborghs to second.

Troy Tulowitzki : Strike looking, Strike looking, Foul, Ball, Tulowitzki doubled to center, Spilborghs and Gonzalez scored.

Brad Hawpe : Ball, Ball, Ball, Hawpe walked.

Chris Iannetta : Foul, Foul, Ball, Ball, Ball, Iannetta walked, Tulowitzki to third, Hawpe to second.

Ian Stewart : Strike looking, Ball, Ball, Stewart flied out to deep center.

End of Inning (12 Runs, 13 Hits, 0 Errors)

Probably the worst Cubs season I've witnessed, and I lived through the Bill Bonham years.

The last time I saw a team just absolutely quit like this was during the Hornets quest to get Byron Scott fired.

Love taking my niece to a game during a 7 game losing streak to see the Cubs score 14 runs in their last 3 at bats.

They might suck but they are 4-2 when I go to games and almost all have been extremely entertaining. Castro will be a joy to watch for years to come.

Lee traded to ATL

4:25pm: The Braves acquire Lee for three pitching prospects, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter). Chicago gets right-hander Robinson Lopez, right-hander Tyrelle Harris and left-hander Jeffrey Lorick according to the Cubs, who will send the Braves money in the deal.Baseball America ranked Lopez 16th among Braves prospects before the season and suggested that he "may be the biggest sleeper in the [Atlanta] system." He's still just 19, but his numbers in A ball haven't been as impressive as the ones he posted in his Rookie ball debut last year. Lopez has a 4.37 ERA with 6.8 K/9 and 4.2 BB/9 so far in 2010.Harris, 23, has played at three levels this season and has now reached AA. Overall, the reliever has a 2.90 ERA with 10.9 K/9 and 4.0 BB/9.
One has to wonder how this deal matches up against the deal that they had in place with LAA which Lee used his no-trade to block.

Lee traded to ATL

4:25pm: The Braves acquire Lee for three pitching prospects, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter). Chicago gets right-hander Robinson Lopez, right-hander Tyrelle Harris and left-hander Jeffrey Lorick according to the Cubs, who will send the Braves money in the deal.Baseball America ranked Lopez 16th among Braves prospects before the season and suggested that he "may be the biggest sleeper in the [Atlanta] system." He's still just 19, but his numbers in A ball haven't been as impressive as the ones he posted in his Rookie ball debut last year. Lopez has a 4.37 ERA with 6.8 K/9 and 4.2 BB/9 so far in 2010.Harris, 23, has played at three levels this season and has now reached AA. Overall, the reliever has a 2.90 ERA with 10.9 K/9 and 4.0 BB/9.
One has to wonder how this deal matches up against the deal that they had in place with LAA which Lee used his no-trade to block.
Lopez being a starting prospect, Lorick a situational lefty with set up potential, and Harris a fringe player, I doubt the Cubs would have gotten much more from anybody for Lee.

I was at the game. It was so effin sad. Lou doesn't have anything to work with out of the bullpen. And the defense was horrible. This team gave up a long time ago, but at least play with some pride for your outgoing manager. It was a disgrace.

I was at the game. It was so effin sad. Lou doesn't have anything to work with out of the bullpen. And the defense was horrible. This team gave up a long time ago, but at least play with some pride for your outgoing manager. It was a disgrace.
Yeah, it's a shame that they didn't go out and bust ### for a guy that's been mailing it in since May.

Yeah, it's a shame that they didn't go out and bust ### for a guy that's been mailing it in since May.
Hey I resent that, he's been mailing it in since JuneChicago managers no one can understand: 2 1

I loathe, and I mean, LOATHE the Cubs, but even so, don't wish any injury on any player. For those that didn't see/hear, Tyler Colvin was IMPALED by a broken bat in his chest. In hospital in stable condition. Damn. :sad:

They need to do something about the exploding bats....

Users who are viewing this thread