What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chiefs Offseason Plans (1 Viewer)

M

MLBrandow

First off, Kansas City is slated to be $22M over the cap. That ranks 29th in the NFL (not very good), and above only the Broncos and the lowly Jets and Raiders.

Second, it's heavily rumored that Miami CB Sam Madison will be a cap casualty. If and when he is released, one has to believe he'll want to reunite with his former secondary teammates in CB Sammy Knight and SS Pat Surtain.

Third, I'm fairly confident that the Jets will NOT franchise John Abraham. And he would look great in a Chiefs uniform.

Fourth, Claude Wroten has Kansas City's name written all over him at #20. Dominating DT that is probably one of the most underrated prospects in the draft. His teammate LaRon Landry is probably the best pure free safety in the draft as well, and he'll be available at 54 when KC picks again.

Now, how can KC make all of this noise in the offseason with one of the worst cap situations in the NFL?

I don't have the answer to that per say, but I'm thinking a few names like Priest Holmes and Eric Hicks are gone (Greg Wesley, Eric Warfield?). And then Tony Gonzalez, Trent Green and Tony Richardson will restructure their contracts to give some relief for the next year at least.

I'm not sure of the exact salary numbers for those players, so if anyone has the answer, I'd love to see some harder numbers than ballpark guesstimates.

But in summation, the 2006 KC Defense would look something like this:

LDE Jared Allen

NT Ryan Sims

UT Claude Wroten (rookie)

RDE John Abraham (FA)

SLB Derrick Johnson

MLB Kawika Mitchell

WLB Kendrell Bell

LC Pat Surtain

FS LaRon Landry (rookie)

SS Sammy Knight

RC Sam Madison (FA)

First off, Kansas City is slated to be $22M over the cap. That ranks 29th in the NFL (not very good), and above only the Broncos and the lowly Jets and Raiders.

Second, it's heavily rumored that Miami CB Sam Madison will be a cap casualty. If and when he is released, one has to believe he'll want to reunite with his former secondary teammates in CB Sammy Knight and SS Pat Surtain.

Third, I'm fairly confident that the Jets will NOT franchise John Abraham. And he would look great in a Chiefs uniform.

Fourth, Claude Wroten has Kansas City's name written all over him at #20. Dominating DT that is probably one of the most underrated prospects in the draft. His teammate LaRon Landry is probably the best pure free safety in the draft as well, and he'll be available at 54 when KC picks again.

Now, how can KC make all of this noise in the offseason with one of the worst cap situations in the NFL?

I don't have the answer to that per say, but I'm thinking a few names like Priest Holmes and Eric Hicks are gone (Greg Wesley, Eric Warfield?). And then Tony Gonzalez, Trent Green and Tony Richardson will restructure their contracts to give some relief for the next year at least.

I'm not sure of the exact salary numbers for those players, so if anyone has the answer, I'd love to see some harder numbers than ballpark guesstimates.

LDE Jared Allen

NT Ryan Sims

RDE John Abraham (FA)

SLB Derrick Johnson

MLB Kawika Mitchell

WLB Kendrell Bell

LC Pat Surtain

FS LaRon Landry (rookie)

SS Sammy Knight

RC Sam Madison (FA)
I live in KC and listen to sports radio almost religiously. I honestly haven't heard too much about the Sam Madison thing. I have heard them talk seriously about TO. But Carl Peterson said it would be a minimum salary with performance incentives. I would assume they ask just about their entire secondary to wework their contracts since they are severely overpaid. For some reason I think they may cut T-Rich...I think I heard something mentioned about this. Priest will be asked to restructure or retire I presume. They have resigned Brian Waters to a 6 year contract. Still waiting on Roaf and Shields. LJ may be the most overhyped player if those two don't come back! :bag:

Just my :2cents:

I wouldn't count on Abraham coming in to KC, just seems to expensive. I'd keep Hicks and Allen, DE isn't the weak spot.

I'm not convinced they can afford Madison either, although he would be a nice fit with his old teammates. Warfield is pretty decent as the #2 CB. (I don't recall the salary right now, so if he's more expensive than Madison, that changes things)

If Shields/Roaf retire, there will be room to sign some FAs. Of course, the offense takes a huge step back, but that's inevitable.

His teammate LaRon Landry is probably the best pure free safety in the draft as well, and he'll be available at 54 when KC picks again.
Landry is coming back to LSU for another year. link

His teammate LaRon Landry is probably the best pure free safety in the draft as well, and he'll be available at 54 when KC picks again.
Landry is coming back to LSU for another year. link
Yeah, I just read that... sucks.I'm pretty sure they can convince the OL studs to come back for one more year. I think this year, 2006, is the Chiefs year. New coach, urgency, 1960s Cleveland Browns playbook.

I think they've got the will and now the way. I expect that office to stretch that cap as much as possible and give this team every chance to win in 2006, because after that, it'll be salary cap purgatory and Edwards rebuilding.

As good a player as TO is I just don't understand Kansas City's interest in him. It seems to me that they have no problem scoring points but a big problem preventing them. Would they not be better served concentrating whatever cap room they make on the defensive side of the ball? Maybe I'm missing something.

As good a player as TO is I just don't understand Kansas City's interest in him. It seems to me that they have no problem scoring points but a big problem preventing them. Would they not be better served concentrating whatever cap room they make on the defensive side of the ball? Maybe I'm missing something.
They aren't, it's to drive up TO's value to make Denver harder to get him.Did you notice by chance that Each team that's interested in him has a pair in their division?

Denver --> Kansas City

Atlanta --> Tampa Bay

Dolphins --> Jets

The left three are the ones actually interested in him.

they don't seem so interested in him anymorehttp://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Arbt...ov=ap&type=lgns

Also according to this Priest is 50/50 whether he'll return(ummm shocker) and Shields seems likely to return to coach Herm.

Priest will be gone because they will cut him if he doesn't retire. He was going to retire two years ago in the same offseason Ricky went crazy, then he had the same thoughts last year. It's not about the ability, but rather the desire to play.

It's okay though, they'll win the Super Bowl without him.

Priest will be gone because they will cut him if he doesn't retire. He was going to retire two years ago in the same offseason Ricky went crazy, then he had the same thoughts last year. It's not about the ability, but rather the desire to play.

It's okay though, they'll win the Super Bowl without him.
I want to say I detect sarcasm, but the rest of this doesn't smell like it.The Chiefs will not cut Priest. Force him to retire, perhaps. Trade him to Houston, maybe, but not cut him.

A couple points....

-T-Rich is a UFA, so he isnt counting against the cap estimates....

-Taking PH off the books will be huge....as with Kendrell bell and his arthritic shoulders. That frees up more than 7 million I believe.

-Green will restructure...he has once already I think and his the consummate team leader.

-Gonzalez may have already been asked to redo his deal. After the Steelers beat the Lions to get in the postseason, TG was asked about hsi offseason and indicated that he had a contract situation he had to settle....which leads me to believe they are asking him to be a team guy.

-Forget Wroten @ 20.....give me an OT.....Winston or Scott.. If somehow Huff pulls a Derrick Johnson and falls that would be my dream pick.

-I think KC may try and lure Brandon Lloyd home as a RFA. He is from Blue Springs, in suburban KC (I played HS ball against him--no jokin'). The price may be a #1 but he is better than any rookie WR.

-One guy I would target in FA is Archuleta to be the tough physical S the CHiefs desperately need....also then Jerome Woods would be off the books.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Forget Wroten @ 20.....give me an OT.....Winston or Scott.. If somehow Huff pulls a Derrick Johnson and falls that would be my dream pick.

-I think KC may try and lure Brandon Lloyd home as a RFA. He is from Blue Springs, in suburban KC (I played HS ball against him--no jokin'). The price may be a #1 but he is better than any rookie WR.

-One guy I would target in FA is Archuleta to be the tough physical S the CHiefs desperately need....also then Jerome Woods would be off the books.
I wouldn't give a 1st for any WR if I'm Carl, but I agree that if they did, Lloyd would be the way to go. There's a few that will last to the 2nd or 3rd worth considering.Arch would be great, but will he command top $ for name recognition?

Agreed 100% on Huff. I doubt he lasts that long, but maybe. (I didn't see DJ lasting either)

A couple points....

-Taking PH off the books will be huge....as with Kendrell bell and his arthritic shoulders. That frees up more than 7 million I believe.

-Green will restructure...he has once already I think and his the consummate team leader.

-Gonzalez may have already been asked to redo his deal. After the Steelers beat the Lions to get in the postseason, TG was asked about hsi offseason and indicated that he had a contract situation he had to settle....which leads me to believe they are asking him to be a team guy.

The Chiefs are going to be in a world of hurt in 2007, but they will stretch every bit of cap room they have to gear up for one last Super Bowl run with this squad, then it's off to rebuilding mode. Drafting a tackle in the first round doesn't make any sense because they need an impact starter at a need position to help complete this team and really make that final run. Next year especially if they can get a ring, about a half dozen players on this team will be retiring, if not more.Wroten to me seems like a match made in heaven for this team that really needs some playmakers inside to give their LBs more freedom to move around get the job done--look what Chris Hovan did for Shelton Quarles this season.

I agree that safety is a big need as well, but they can address that in the second round and pick up a starting-caliber safety.

KC's biggest weakness now is head coach. Too bad you can't address that through the draft or free agency.

I don't see safety as being a big Chiefs acquisition need. I think they are pleased with Wesley/Knight. Frankly, I see the Chiefs being less than active in the FA market and it will be everything they can do to eek themselves under the cap. even with Priest gone ...

Kendrell Bell will be replaced I think. An additional DL will be added. They will look to OL in the draft given that their recent moves there (Black, Bober, Welborne) have not paid huge dividends ...

If Priest is gone they will look for a backup RB. CB may also be a point of emphasis.

If the Chiefs give a No. 1 for Brandon Lloyd I will hurl ... :X

A couple points....

The Chiefs are going to be in a world of hurt in 2007, but they will stretch every bit of cap room they have to gear up for one last Super Bowl run with this squad, then it's off to rebuilding mode. Drafting a tackle in the first round doesn't make any sense because they need an impact starter at a need position to help complete this team and really make that final run. Next year especially if they can get a ring, about a half dozen players on this team will be retiring, if not more.Wroten to me seems like a match made in heaven for this team that really needs some playmakers inside to give their LBs more freedom to move around get the job done--look what Chris Hovan did for Shelton Quarles this season.

I agree that safety is a big need as well, but they can address that in the second round and pick up a starting-caliber safety.
No offense to you, but I have never agreed thata team, in tis case, KC will "go for one more run at it"...WTF---you make a run at the SB every year? Every team should.KC isnt dislike many teams in the league age-wise....now if you wanna talk about maybe going 2-14 2 years in a row to intentionally help you set-up for a 10 year run like they had in the 1990s, then I can see that. Too many teams rebuild because they seem to think thats what teams do. The best franchises dont.

KC hasnt been worse than 6-10 since 1988....I dont see a huge rebuilding...changes in philosophy and some tinkering like all teams-yes. CHange for the sake of change because everyone says they need to change-no.

KC's biggest weakness now is head coach. Too bad you can't address that through the draft or free agency.
:confused: But they did.
By hiring Edwards? Oh boy, I feel sorry for KC fans that believe Herm is the answer. All that rah-rah crap is great until the games begin. He is clueless. Ask him what went wrong and he will go on with some 2-hour diatribe that has nothing to do with the question. You know that play where Vermeil sent LJ over the top on the last play of the game to win it all? My first reaction was that Edwards would never do that. Hell, he would have been playing for the fg even if it was 1st and goal with a minute left.

By hiring Edwards? Oh boy, I feel sorry for KC fans that believe Herm is the answer. All that rah-rah crap is great until the games begin. He is clueless. Ask him what went wrong and he will go on with some 2-hour diatribe that has nothing to do with the question. You know that play where Vermeil sent LJ over the top on the last play of the game to win it all? My first reaction was that Edwards would never do that. Hell, he would have been playing for the fg even if it was 1st and goal with a minute left.
you're right Herm will be quite different than Vermeil.That was his first HC job and his record wasn't too bad, they made the playoffs and were competitive.

A little bitter there?Before this year (yes, it was a bad bad year for the Jets), Herm was 35-29 and made the playoffs 3 times in 4 years. The 06 Chiefs are a better team than any of those Jets teams (or at least equal). I'm not a fan of the hiring, but it's nowhere near as bad as you're saying here.

KC hasnt been worse than 6-10 since 1988....I dont see a huge rebuilding...changes in philosophy and some tinkering like all teams-yes. CHange for the sake of change because everyone says they need to change-no.
This team has not won a single playoff game in 12 years, not even a wildcard matchup. How about change for the sake of winning a playoff game? The offensive line is aging; Martz and Saunders are gone, and the defense is not anywhere near ready to compete without a prolific offense. Willie Roaf and Will Shields both just finished up their 13th NFL season.

I would rather be 10-6 every year like last season and not win it all, rather than have one great team every 10 years and win one SB. Too many teams hang thier hat on one SB while they go 3-13 for 4 or 5 years. Thats me as a greedy fan who values consistent winning and KC has done that.

I would rather be 10-6 every year like last season and not win it all, rather than have one great team every 10 years and win one SB. Too many teams hang thier hat on one SB while they go 3-13 for 4 or 5 years. Thats me as a greedy fan who values consistent winning and KC has done that.
Nahh, it's all about winning the Superbowl for me.

I say it ad naseum, but a defense must be filled through the middle. DT, MLB, SS. All championship caliber teams have these positions filled great.:

2005 Steelers: Casey Hampton, Larry Foote, Troy Polamalu

2004 Patriots: Richard Seymour, Teddy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison

When you fill these slots with solid players, you are in good shape. At MLB, you don't need a guy with great athletic ability and 4.5 speed. You need a player who reads defenses well, doesn't take false steps, and is a sure tackler (i.e. Teddy Bruschi, Lafa Tutupu). At DT, you don't need a guy who can pile up 10 sacks or make 100 takles, you need a player who will stay committed to his gap and will sacrifice his body so that the LB corps can clean up (i.e Tony Siragusa, Gilbert Brown). At SS, you need a sure tackler who does not have to have lightning speed, but who will come up and lay a hit on the ball carrier. (i.e. Rodney Harrison).

The Chiefs are deficient in all these spots. They don't need a defensive end who can be taken out of a play simply by a double team or by running to the opposite side.

LDE Jared Allen

NT Ryan Sims

RDE John Abraham (FA)

SLB Derrick Johnson

MLB Kawika Mitchell

WLB Kendrell Bell

LC Pat Surtain

FS LaRon Landry (rookie)

SS Sammy Knight

RC Sam Madison (FA)
Just out of curiosity, why would you WANT the Chiefs to have the Dolphins secondary reunited at this point? There's a reason they were expendable.

"Too many" - please define how many teams have won a Super Bowl, then gone on to a record of 3-13 for 4-5 years. As a lifelong Lions fan who grew up in the Barry era, I'd gladly take a Super Bowl then a couple losing seasons instead of constantly being "close".

I say it ad naseum, but a defense must be filled through the middle. DT, MLB, SS. All championship caliber teams have these positions filled great.:

When you fill these slots with solid players, you are in good shape. At MLB, you don't need a guy with great athletic ability and 4.5 speed. You need a player who reads defenses well, doesn't take false steps, and is a sure tackler (i.e. Teddy Bruschi, Lafa Tutupu). At DT, you don't need a guy who can pile up 10 sacks or make 100 takles, you need a player who will stay committed to his gap and will sacrifice his body so that the LB corps can clean up (i.e Tony Siragusa, Gilbert Brown). At SS, you need a sure tackler who does not have to have lightning speed, but who will come up and lay a hit on the ball carrier. (i.e. Rodney Harrison).

The Chiefs are deficient in all these spots. They don't need a defensive end who can be taken out of a play simply by a double team or by running to the opposite side.
Actually, the Chiefs see Sammy Knight and Kawika Mitchell as strong points, and I agree ... granted though Ryan Sims and all the other DTs they have drafted have left something to be desired ...

I say it ad naseum, but a defense must be filled through the middle.  DT, MLB, SS.  All championship caliber teams have these positions filled great.:

When you fill these slots with solid players, you are in good shape.  At MLB, you don't need a guy with great athletic ability and 4.5 speed.  You need a player who reads defenses well, doesn't take false steps, and is a sure tackler (i.e. Teddy Bruschi, Lafa Tutupu).  At DT, you don't need a guy who can pile up 10 sacks or make 100 takles, you need a player who will stay committed to his gap and will sacrifice his body so that the LB corps can clean up (i.e Tony Siragusa, Gilbert Brown).  At SS, you need a sure tackler who does not have to have lightning speed, but who will come up and lay a hit on the ball carrier.  (i.e. Rodney Harrison).

The Chiefs are deficient in all these spots.  They don't need a defensive end who can be taken out of a play simply by a double team or by running to the opposite side.
Actually, the Chiefs see Sammy Knight and Kawika Mitchell as strong points, and I agree ... granted though Ryan Sims and all the other DTs they have drafted have left something to be desired ...
Sammy Knight is not a strong point, that guy missed a ton of tackles, and could be the worst coverage SS in the NFL. I always hear about Mitchell's athleticism, but I don't see the production on a game to game basis.

I'm not sure that signing Arch is a good idea at all. Being a Rams homer I have watched Arch lose his hitting ability as his injuries pile up. He has never been any good in coverage.

Sammy Knight is not a strong point, that guy missed a ton of tackles, and could be the worst coverage SS in the NFL. I always hear about Mitchell's athleticism, but I don't see the production on a game to game basis.
I didn't care for him but he did real well. IIRC He led them in tackles this past season and did his job as a backer. If the other 10 guys did their jobs.....Sammy Knight's whole career has been that way though. The INTs have always seemed to erase any wrong he does in the rest of his game. I wouldn't be surprised if Vermeil just wanted another chance to get the ball in the O's hands and thought similarly.

Their DL is a joke. They have some talent but they all need a kick in the...

i posted this elsewhere but...

Chiefs | Team will not sign Marsh; he's expected to return to the CFL

Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:26:42 -0800

MOJO Sports Radio reports the Kansas City Chiefs have not been able to reach a contract agreement with CFL CB Dante Marsh and he will not be signed. Earlier reports had Marsh reaching an agreement on a two-year contract with the Chiefs. Jason Medlock, the agent for Marsh, told MOJO that the two sides were unable to agree on the bonus money Marsh was to receive. The Chiefs also expressed some concern over what condition Marsh's shoulder is in, something Medlock says will not affect a possible season with the B.C. Lions of the CFL. Medlock now says he will call general manager Wally Buono to try and work out a long term deal with the Lions.

(edit to add link)

link

KC HAS CAP ISSUESGreen offers to helpChiefs QB willing to restructure contractBy ELIZABETH MERRILLThe Kansas City StarTrent Green loves Kansas City and wants to stay at least 17 more years, when his baby daughter is out of school.

Green offered Tuesday to help out one of the city’s favorite teams. He said he’s willing to restructure his contract, which counts nearly $8.3 million against the Chiefs’ salary cap.

“If that’s something that helps the team,” Green said, “and we can get it done to get more guys signed or to get more cap room or bring in more free agents, yeah, I’m willing to do that.”

Across town, Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said he was touched by the gesture. But he probably won’t be taking his quarterback up on it. While Chiefs fans sweat out these last nine days before the start of the new NFL year — wondering who will stay and who will go before teams reach a salary limit estimated between $92 million and $95 million — Peterson calmly ballparked his club to be about $14 million over the cap as of late Tuesday.

And he didn’t seem the least bit frazzled.

“I’m not worried, because I know what we have to do to get there,” Peterson said. “And these plans have been made for not just a couple of weeks but a couple of months.

“I will tell you that some players will be released based on performance and salary. That’s something that happens each year, and that’s part of our business. I don’t know if it will be quite that big of a surprise, but it’ll possibly happen with a starting player or two, so that will always be a surprise.”

Peterson said the Chiefs have approached two or three players and asked that they restructure their contracts. He declined to identify the players but confirmed that Green and tight end Tony Gonzalez weren’t among them. Both were thought to be ideal restructuring candidates.

Gonzalez has one of the highest cap numbers on the team (about $6.5 million).

“His contract is not such that it presents a huge problem for us regarding the cap,” Peterson said. “He’s earned his money, and I expect him to continue to earn his money. Will we possibly come to him at some point this year or next year about redoing his contract? Yes, certainly.

“(With Trent), we’ve done it with him before, and I don’t like to (restructure) too much with one player. I won’t say definitely not, but probably not.”

Another factor looming in the March 3 decision-making process is the ongoing negotiations for the collective bargaining agreement. Peterson said most teams have a Plan A and a Plan B, assuming the owners and players don’t settle on an extension by next week.

Green said he’s kept his eye on the collective bargaining agreement talks but also wanted to get away from football during his time off.

The 2005 season was the longest in Green’s 12-year NFL career. First he had a stent put in his leg. Then his father, Jim, died unexpectedly midseason. Green’s wife, Julie, gave birth to their third child, Janelle, during the Chiefs’ December fight for the playoffs.

Kansas City finished 10-6 and failed to make the postseason, but Green got a surprise call to Honolulu for the Pro Bowl after an injured Tom Brady pulled out.

“It was great for the family to go over there and share in that,” Green said. “… My boys come running up to me, and all they want to talk about is how Troy Polamalu played football with them on the beach.”

Family is what brought Green to the Ronald McDonald House on Tuesday. He presented a $56,600 check — money raised by ConocoPhillips for the new facility at 2502 Cherry St. Green and his wife have done charity work for the Ronald McDonald House since their days in Washington.

Green toured the facility, shook hands and joked about sleep-deprived nights with a 10-week-old daughter. Then he went home for some offseason rest with his family, though the NFL, he said, never really rests.

“We’re very committed to Kansas City,” Green said. “My family and I love it here. It’s our home.”

Interesting that Green and Gonzo will not be asked to restructure as every thought. Sounds like the King has some veteran cutting to do. Carl thinks they are about 13mil over the cap. I think Bell gets cut. If Priest retires due to injury, does any of his signing bonus count against the cap?

KC HAS CAP ISSUESGreen offers to helpChiefs QB willing to restructure contractBy ELIZABETH MERRILLThe Kansas City StarTrent Green loves Kansas City and wants to stay at least 17 more years, when his baby daughter is out of school.

Green offered Tuesday to help out one of the city’s favorite teams. He said he’s willing to restructure his contract, which counts nearly $8.3 million against the Chiefs’ salary cap.

“If that’s something that helps the team,” Green said, “and we can get it done to get more guys signed or to get more cap room or bring in more free agents, yeah, I’m willing to do that.”

Across town, Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said he was touched by the gesture. But he probably won’t be taking his quarterback up on it. While Chiefs fans sweat out these last nine days before the start of the new NFL year — wondering who will stay and who will go before teams reach a salary limit estimated between $92 million and $95 million — Peterson calmly ballparked his club to be about $14 million over the cap as of late Tuesday.

And he didn’t seem the least bit frazzled.

“I’m not worried, because I know what we have to do to get there,” Peterson said. “And these plans have been made for not just a couple of weeks but a couple of months.

“I will tell you that some players will be released based on performance and salary. That’s something that happens each year, and that’s part of our business. I don’t know if it will be quite that big of a surprise, but it’ll possibly happen with a starting player or two, so that will always be a surprise.”

Peterson said the Chiefs have approached two or three players and asked that they restructure their contracts. He declined to identify the players but confirmed that Green and tight end Tony Gonzalez weren’t among them. Both were thought to be ideal restructuring candidates.

Gonzalez has one of the highest cap numbers on the team (about $6.5 million).

“His contract is not such that it presents a huge problem for us regarding the cap,” Peterson said. “He’s earned his money, and I expect him to continue to earn his money. Will we possibly come to him at some point this year or next year about redoing his contract? Yes, certainly.

“(With Trent), we’ve done it with him before, and I don’t like to (restructure) too much with one player. I won’t say definitely not, but probably not.”

Another factor looming in the March 3 decision-making process is the ongoing negotiations for the collective bargaining agreement. Peterson said most teams have a Plan A and a Plan B, assuming the owners and players don’t settle on an extension by next week.

Green said he’s kept his eye on the collective bargaining agreement talks but also wanted to get away from football during his time off.

The 2005 season was the longest in Green’s 12-year NFL career. First he had a stent put in his leg. Then his father, Jim, died unexpectedly midseason. Green’s wife, Julie, gave birth to their third child, Janelle, during the Chiefs’ December fight for the playoffs.

Kansas City finished 10-6 and failed to make the postseason, but Green got a surprise call to Honolulu for the Pro Bowl after an injured Tom Brady pulled out.

“It was great for the family to go over there and share in that,” Green said. “… My boys come running up to me, and all they want to talk about is how Troy Polamalu played football with them on the beach.”

Family is what brought Green to the Ronald McDonald House on Tuesday. He presented a $56,600 check — money raised by ConocoPhillips for the new facility at 2502 Cherry St. Green and his wife have done charity work for the Ronald McDonald House since their days in Washington.

Green toured the facility, shook hands and joked about sleep-deprived nights with a 10-week-old daughter. Then he went home for some offseason rest with his family, though the NFL, he said, never really rests.

“We’re very committed to Kansas City,” Green said. “My family and I love it here. It’s our home.”

Interesting that Green and Gonzo will not be asked to restructure as every thought. Sounds like the King has some veteran cutting to do. Carl thinks they are about 13mil over the cap. I think Bell gets cut. If Priest retires due to injury, does any of his signing bonus count against the cap?
Glad this got posted........Green gets hid a lot here in KC in a national scale, but he is a class act and is still, I think, underrated as a QB.In my eyes, here is how see KC getting cap relief:

-cut Kendrell Bell

-Priest retires (forcefully so)

-restructure Eric Warfield-hes not worth the 3.1 mil he is due

-restructure Shawn Barber-jumps from 1.7 to 2.75

-cut Greg Wesley-salary jumps to 2.5 from 800K, and he sucked @ 800K

-cut Jerome Woods-is ANY backup S worth 1.6? He is maybe a June 1 cut because of the bonus

-maybe ask Hicks to help out-jump from 1 mil to 2.1 after a crappy season.

That's the list of things I would do......cutting Bell and restructuring Warfield will be huge.

A little bitter there?Before this year (yes, it was a bad bad year for the Jets), Herm was 35-29 and made the playoffs 3 times in 4 years. The 06 Chiefs are a better team than any of those Jets teams (or at least equal). I'm not a fan of the hiring, but it's nowhere near as bad as you're saying here.
Herm was playing with the talent left over from the Parcells era. He proved to be pretty cluless with clock management...pretty scary for a head coach

When Herm took over the Jets they were the second oldest team in the league behind the Raiders. His last season with the Jets there were 33 players between their 1st and 3rd year. There are 20 Chiefs over 30 years old on the current roster.

about 9 minutes in on this video

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/02/21/ac...out_with_herm2/
People can toss numbers around ALL they want....But, just listen to Herm... Not sure if a lot of people here have listened to a Herm Press conference after a game - Ask the guy a FOOTBALL question and he'll make up some metaphor as if YOU don't know or can't grasp FOOTBALL talk and he needs to compare it to chickens or something... Or how about the looks on his face when 'Challenged" with a decicion like "Take the penalty" or "Go for it".. There's clips of him running around the sideline asking assistants what the heck to do... With this Crazy look on his face with his forehead all scrunched and his mouth contorted.... It's Whacky....

I could be 100% WRONG - But, I think this guy is a total Clown, was lucky as hell someone gave him a job with ZERO experience and now is even luckier he's got a friend in KC.....

Good Luck KC fans.... You warned us about Paul Hackett and we had to learn the hard way....

I'd probably rather have Hackett - At least he has Game planned and actually coached one side of the ball.

Glad this got posted........Green gets hid a lot here in KC in a natioanl scale, but he is a class act and is still, I think, underrated as a QB.

In my eyes, here is how see KC getting cap relief:

-cut Kendrell Bell

-Priest retires (forcecully so)

-restructure Eric Warfield-hes not worth the 3.1 mil he is due

-restructure Shawn Barber-jumps from 1.7 to 2.75

-cut Greg Wesley-salary jumps to 2.5 from 800K, and he sucked @ 800K

-cut Jerome Woods-is ANY backup S worth 1.6?  He is maybe a June 1 cut because of the bonus

-maybe ask Hicks to help out-jump from 1 mil to 2.1 after a crappy season.

That's the list of things I would do......cutting Bell and restructuring Warfield will be huge.
:goodposting: I would disagree with only these 2: I would try to restructure Wesley first, ask him to take a pay cut. He would still be a decent nickel back and is familiar with the defense already, and unless the cap hit is too huge (I admittedly have no idea whit his cap # is) just cut Hicks. I've been waiting to see any kind of promise from him and all I DO see is slipped tackles and over-pursuit.Then I would use a lot of that money on the DL, possibly try to trade up for Ngata. If they can generate any kind of pass rush, IMO the secondary becomes twice as good right out of the gate. The days of holding opponents under 30 to win are over, that number needs to be cut to about 21.

Wanted to bump this as I will have a KC mock up by Monday and am curious what other KC fans think should be the direction in the draft. Also am interested if anyone still thinks Ty Law signing is a possibility.

I did a KC mock last season, I will try and find it.........I successfully predicted Colquitt, Grigsby & Johnson.

Wanted to bump this as I will have a KC mock up by Monday and am curious what other KC fans think should be the direction in the draft. Also am interested if anyone still thinks Ty Law signing is a possibility.

I did a KC mock last season, I will try and find it.........I successfully predicted Colquitt, Grigsby & Johnson.
Let's see it bro. Big KC fan here, and not much talk on this site regarding them

Here it is.....my KC mock draft. I looked for my predictions from last season but they have been purged long ago.

----------------------------------------

1. Holmes WR OH ST-The more I hear about this guy the more I like him, especially his character. When asked in an interview recently about what he would do to celebrate his first TD, he said he would hand the ball to the ref, like he was taught. I LOVE that. KC has lost a LOT of depth in Boerighter and Horn leaving, and I dont think Jeris Mcintyre is an answer, Cro Thorpe hasnt shown much yet. I would love to get Holmes in the offense as a #2-3 and let Dante Hall just do is return job and totally forget about playing WR.

2. Winston OT MIAMI-He could be gone, but I have seen mocks with him going from 1.25 till our pick in Round 2. The kid is a team leader, and is one the fastest and quickest Ots in the draft. The reports from NFLE are that Will Svitek has been outstanding. If so thats fine. Willie Roaf is still going to retire this season more than likely, so Winston and Svitek would make a nice pairing 2007 and beyond. Svitek can start in '06 @ RT and WInston can start in '07. I dont envision Kevin Sampson, Jordan Black or Jeremy Parquet being the solution. If Winston is gone, the pick here would be........

3. Zemaitis CB PENN ST - With a new Cover-2 scheme being brought in, I think this guy is what we need. He doesnt have the man-to-man shutdown skills, but he is a player who seems to play better in a zone and is a leader and was a high character guy. If AZ is taken in round 2, I would nominate Dusty Dvoracek, DT -OKLA here. He is a high motor DT with a nasty side, something KC has sought for since 2002....Siavii, Sims and the like are not nasty boys.

4-pick to NYJ

5. Pinegar QB FRES ST-A guy who is one of those who will need some time to mature and learn. Trent Green still has 2-3 seasons left and Pinegar may not even be groomed as a starter, but with his production and his character, he is a guy who should play, at least as a backup, for a long time.

6. Ware, S SO CAL-Could be a huge steal here. Good tackler and tough as nails. Greg Wesley is a marginal NFL Safety and I really think Ware could start in 1-2 seasons. Also, Sammy Knight is over 30 and Jerome Woods may be cut, which means that Ware would have the door wide-open to earn PT.

6. Runnels FB OKLA-Is ROnnie Cruz the answer @ FB for KC? I dont know but I know that Runnels is one of the best blocking FBs in the draft and at the very least will make the team with his leadership, hard work and character. Seeing him play 4 times on TV gave me an appreciation for the guy. Is not a ball carrier but @ the end of his stay, neither was Richardson.

7. Busing OLB MIAMI (OH)-A sleeper/project who could end up playing as a SS. Shows great tackling abilty and is smart and plays well in coverage.

From KCchiefs.com:

Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Tuesday that the club has agreed to terms with 15 rookie free agents. WR Kyle Brown, TE Robert Dockery, G Steve Franklin, DT Alex Guerrero, LB Brandon Guillory, WR Chris Hannon, RB De Arrius Howard, WR Jermaine Jamison, LB William Kershaw, WR Travis La Tendresse, WR Dan Melendez, T Derek Morris, LB Nick Reid, FB Jake Slaughter and WR Ryan Waller all agreed to terms of two-year contracts. As per Chiefs policy, no other terms of the agreements were made available.

WR Kyle Brown (6-0, 200) appeared in 42 games (26 starts) at Michigan State. He caught 88 passes for 1,329 yards (15.1 avg.) with six TDs. He added 25 kickoff returns for 270 yards (10.8 avg.) and 17 punt returns for 327 yards (19.2 avg.). The West Bloomfield, Michigan native was a SuperPrep and PrepStar All-America selection at West Bloomfield High School.

TE Robert Dockery (6-5, 274) played in 18 games (15 starts) at Wisconsin - Oshkosh after beginning his career at Wisconsin. He caught 33 passes for 452 yards with five touchdowns for the Titans. The two-year starter at Oshkosh North High School in Oshkosh, Wisconsin led his high school to the state championship as a senior.

G Steve Franklin (6-2, 302) saw action in 35 games (34 starts) as a guard for Syracuse, opening his final 23 contests. He began his collegiate career at Coffeyville (KS) Community College before transferring to Syracuse. He was a two-time all-state and all-conference selection at Caesar Rodney High School in Dover, Delaware.

DT Alex Guerrero (6-1, 303) appeared in 52 games (25 starts) at Boise State. He registered 105 tackles (47 solo), 21.5 tackles for loss and 8.0 sacks. The three-year starter at defensive end at Brea Olinda High School in Brea, California earned first-team all-league honors as a junior and senior.

LB Brandon Guillory (6-4, 253) played in 44 games (33 starts) at Louisiana - Monroe. He totaled 132 tackles (84 solo), 41.5 tackles for loss (-185.0 yards), 18.0 sacks (-136.0 yards), six passes defensed, two fumble recoveries and seven forced fumbles. A three-sport athlete at Abramson High School in New Orleans, Louisiana, Guillory played linebacker and wide receiver for the football team.

WR Chris Hannon (6-3, 205) played in 46 games (20 starts) at Tennessee, catching 69 passes for 850 yards (12.3 avg.) with 12 touchdowns. He also added four carries for 37 yards (9.2 avg.), two punt returns for nine yards and three kickoff returns for 42 yards. The all-district and all-area selection by the Sarasota Herald-Tribune rushed for 1,000 yards and passed for 680 yards as a senior at Riverview High School in Sarasota, Florida.

RB De Arrius Howard (5-11, 229) appeared in 44 games (one start) at Arkansas. He rushed 413 times for 1,719 yards (4.2 avg.) with 21 TDs. He rushed 345 times for 2,746 yards with 29 touchdowns as a senior at West Memphis High School in West Memphis, Arkansas.

WR Jermaine Jamison (6-2, 201) played in 52 games (14 starts) at Fresno State, catching 124 passes for 1,562 yards (12.6 avg.) with 10 touchdowns. His 124 receptions ranked ninth in school history while his 1,562 receiving yards were 10th-highest in team annals. He was selected the league player of the year in both football and basketball as a senior at Price High School in Los Angeles, California.

LB William Kershaw (6-3, 240) saw duty in 42 games (20 starts) at Maryland. He produced 204 tackles (103 solo), 12.5 tackles for loss (-39.0 yards), 3.0 sacks (-20.0 yards), eight QB pressures, an interception, two passes defensed and one forced fumble. He recorded 135 tackles (69 solo), 7.0 sacks, two interceptions and four fumble recoveries as a senior at Hoke County High School in Raeford, North Carolina.

WR Travis La Tendresse (6-1, 195) appeared in 43 games (33 starts) at Utah. He caught 135 passes for 1,782 yards (13.2 avg.) with 12 touchdowns. He recorded 55 receptions for 810 yards (14.7 avg.) with eight scores as a senior. The two-sport athlete led Oak Ridge High School in Oak Ridge, California to a 42-3 record during his time on the gridiron.

WR Dan Melendez (6-2, 173) played in 39 games at Maryland. He produced 61 receptions for 891 yards (14.6 avg.) with four touchdowns. The three-year starter at J.P. McCaskey High School in Lancaster, Pennsylvania earned AP big schools all-state honors as a senior. He was a former high school teammate of current Chiefs TE Kris Wilson.

T Derek Morris (6-5, 332) played in 25 games (22 starts) during his collegiate career at North Carolina State. He started all 11 games at right tackle as a senior for the Wolfpack. He earned first-team USA Today and Parade All-America honors as a senior at North Mecklenberg High School in Huntersville, North Carolina.

LB Nick Reid (6-3, 234) played in 48 games (40 starts) at Kansas, finishing his career second in school history with 416 tackles (254 solo). He added 41.0 tackles for loss (-154.0 yards), 14.0 sacks (-85.0 yards), three INTs, 14 passes defensed, nine QB pressures, one fumble recovery and six forced fumbles. He started all 12 games as a senior and was named the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. Reid posted 112 tackles (72 solo), 14.0 tackles for loss (-49.0 yards), 3.0 sacks (-15.0 yards), an INT, six passes defensed and two forced fumbles. He earned all-state honors as a senior at Derby High School in Derby, Kansas.

FB Jake Slaughter (6-1, 242) appeared in 46 games (11 starts) at Auburn. He rushed eight times for 23 yards and caught eight passes for 72 yards for the Tigers. He added three tackles on defense as a freshman. He finished his prep career with 140 tackles, 6.0 sacks, three fumble recoveries and seven forced fumbles at Brentwood Academy in Brentwood, Tennessee. He also rushed for 810 yards and nine TDs in addition to 400 receiving yards as a fullback.

WR Ryan Waller (5-11, 183) saw action in 47 games at Maine, catching 149 passes for 1,948 yards (13.1 avg.) with 16 touchdowns. He led the Black Bears with 53 receptions for 528 yards and five scores as a sophomore. He played defensive back and wide receiver at L.C. Bird High School in Chester, Virginia.

I don't really know much about any of these guys except Reid. It surprises me that the Big 12 Defensive POY doesn't get drafted. I know he didn't preform well at the combine but it seems he knows how to play the game. I'm not sure he's a great fit for the Cover 2 either.

Thoughts on Reid or any of the others?

Just search for howard's name and you'll find my comments on him. I was enamored with his play at the shrine game and practices.

shrine game thread

Shrine pro day thread

Shrine practice day 1 thread

De’Arrius Howard, RB, Arkansas, 6’0”, 236lbs.

Howard couldn’t hold onto the starting gig at Arkansas, but we have no idea why. A bull in a china shop with a powerful burst through the hole, Howard broke almost every run into the 2nd and 3rd level of the defense. No other RB performed remotely as well between the tackles. He would’ve had at least 3 breakaway TDs if they didn’t whistle plays dead to save time. A 5th rounder on Howard would be money well spent by an NFL team, and if he’s on the board later in your rookie draft, he might pay Dom Davis-like dividends for your fantasy squad.
De'Arrius Howard continued to leave me shaking my head, breaking through to the second and third level of the defense routinely. He also showed decent receiving skills, which is a bonus when they come in a 6'0" 236 package with good speed. He often outran LBs to the edge and went through arm tackles without slowing down at all. Believe me, you would have never guessed Howard was a backup at Arkansas based on his running on Monday and Wednesday.
De’Arrius Howard, RB, Arkansas

What can we say that hasn’t already been said? We don’t know, but we’ll try to find something. His first scoring run showed surprising speed to the outside, beating the entire West team to the right pylon. His third scoring run showed elusiveness on a LB-freezing shoulder dip and power to ram through multiple unblocked defenders while crossing the goal line. He showed great patience and set up his lead blockers, riding in the hip pocket of Ohio State OG Rob Sims on more than one big run. He finished every run with authority, punishing tacklers and pushing them backwards consistently, and as they noted on ESPN2, he would’ve been the MVP had it not been for McNeal’s heroics. Howard even picked up pass rushers on multiple occasions. Also, don’t be fooled by his somewhat pedestrian 4 yards per carry average. It should really have been 5; the first play of the game was a terrible screen pass they credited as a rush for an 8 yard loss. Additionally, the stop on the crucial goal line play to end the game was more of an amazing individual play by UCLA ILB Justin London, pushing the pulling guard (Jason Spitz of Louisville) right into Howard’s path, than any failing on Howard’s part. McNeal overshadowed this gem, but make no mistake, this game cinched what his practice performance made clear: Howard can handle the load if given a shot in the NFL. We stand firm on our strong recommendation to get your hands on this diamond in the rough in your dynasty rookie draft.

Users who are viewing this thread