What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Christmas Lights/Decorations (1 Viewer)

Do you put lights/decorations on the outside of your house and/or trees?

• Yes, I go full Griswold

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Yes, throw out a few net-lights on the bushes and call it good

Votes: 56 46.3%
  • Yes, I do inflatable snowmen, Santa, etc...

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Yes, I hire it done

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Bah-Humbug

Votes: 30 24.8%

• Total voters
I like simple look.  I do all red and white.  I've always wanted to do more but just never do.  It's bad enough having to replace 50% of the strands from the previous year.  But this thread has motivated me.  Just bought some strands of C7 lights that I will string along the garden edges.  
We've moved to all LED's to avoid that hassle.
Before switching to LED's I used one of those testers to try and find the bulbs that were out to replace..
I remember spending 4+ hours one day trying to fix 2 BLEEPING strands where part of them went out.  :wall:   Never again... 

Last year I bought permanent LED lights.  Can set them with a timer with any colors/movement you want.  Works off an app on my phone.  It’s been fun having them for football games, 4th of July, Halloween, Dodgers World Series....lifetime warranty on everything.  Never have to pay or climb a ladder again to put up lights or even replace a bulb.
That's a great idea!  Explain "permanent" a bit.  How are they mounted/installed?  Did you do it yourself?  Any helpful links to resources you could share?

I could think of much better things to spend $1000 on and if that was the cost I just wouldn't do anything.  That seems way too expensive ($250 per week if they are up for a month) for what you get.

ETA:  but to each their own.  Just not my thing.
I get it, but it's worth it to me.  To each their own as you stated.  They put them up a week before Halloween and I said F it, I'm turning them on early and getting my money's worth.  

Before switching to LED's I used one of those testers to try and find the bulbs that were out to replace..
I remember spending 4+ hours one day trying to fix 2 BLEEPING strands where part of them went out.  :wall:   Never again... 
I have the c9 LED and a few have gone out as well.  I thought LED were supposed to last like a bazillion hours

I have the c9 LED and a few have gone out as well.  I thought LED were supposed to last like a bazillion hours
I've had a couple go out, but usually it's the roof ones that are impacted by the winds.
But at least when a LED one goes out, it usually only takes out a couple ones around it, not the rest of the strand like the Old ones did. :thumbup:  

For $3 a strand I no longer bother trying to find the worn out light.  

So with LED's, if one goes out the rest of the strand is good?  May upgrade at end of season.  

For $3 a strand I no longer bother trying to find the worn out light.  

So with LED's, if one goes out the rest of the strand is good?  May upgrade at end of season.  
Normally It's easier to fix leds. If one goes out, the ones right behind will go out, for me it has been up to 4, then the strand lights back up.. So you replace the bulb where it starts and you are back in business :thumbup:

We have outdoor LED landscape lighting to our house. This year, I picked up some red and green color filter paper and attached it to our exterior lighting.

Wala....Christmas lights. 

snogger said:
Answered... Yes, I go full Griswold

It takes 15+ hours to put out all the decorations. I just spread it out over a few weeks starting the first week of November so it is ready Thanksgiving night.

Here are some pictures from 2016

I need to get out and take :pics:  of this years display.
Are you running conduit to everything?  I don't see any extension cords. 

Need some Christmas Tree Light Help!

It seems every year about half of my christmas lights fail to light and need to be replaced. It's extremely annoying.

Can anyone recommend a good brand or type?

Clear please.

TIA

Did you get this done?  Just curious ballpark cost if you did and how you like it.
I did it last fall.   I really like it and have gotten a lot of compliments.   A friend also had them installed after seeing mine.   The company charges for the materials and the installer charges you separately, but it ends up being charged by lineal foot.   I did the front roofline of my house and two gables and I think it came out to about $2200.   I know that sounds pricey, but companies that put up lights and take them down each year charge about $1000/year and this is a one-time charge.    With the lifetime warranty, it makes it worth it.  Their customer service is great.  I've had to call them twice and once they walked me through the issue and once they had to send a tech at no charge.

I want to do the back of my house, which is also visible from the adjoining street.   I'll probably do it next June when they have a 20% off deal each year.

There are a couple of other companies that offer a similar product and services.  I went with these guys because there's a local franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you running conduit to everything?  I don't see any extension cords. 
No.. They were under the snow.. I've lost count on how many extension cords I have to run... I just know this year I looked at the box of cords and thought "I'm set" Only to finish with none left.. Almost had to run to the store, but found one in a closet :)

It seems every year about half of my christmas lights fail to light and need to be replaced. It's extremely annoying.

Clear please.

TIA
Read upthread.  People are saying LEDs.

Clear please.

TIA
I have a pre-lit (LED) tree from Balsam Hill.  It's a flip tree and is completely easy to set up.  It's really pretty, too.

snogger said:

It takes 15+ hours to put out all the decorations. I just spread it out over a few weeks starting the first week of November so it is ready Thanksgiving night.

I live in a condo, so I don't have anything.  But I really appreciate the people who do.  And do quite a few walks with the dog this time of year just to check out the lights that my neighbors set up.  So your 15+ hours probably brings joy to a lot of people. :) There is this monstrous tree and back when I used to go to work I like to bike about an extra half mile or so a few days every week even in the cold just to check it out because it had lights all over it.  Was probably 30 feet high.

We’re a little more reserved in our Christmas decoration and/or exterior illumination. I do love to see homes that go all out though. We’ll walk or drive around the nearby neighborhoods to see everyone’s display. Quite a few grinches in here. 

snogger said:

I live in a condo, so I don't have anything.  But I really appreciate the people who do.  And do quite a few walks with the dog this time of year just to check out the lights that my neighbors set up.  So your 15+ hours probably brings joy to a lot of people. :) There is this monstrous tree and back when I used to go to work I like to bike about an extra half mile or so a few days every week even in the cold just to check it out because it had lights all over it.  Was probably 30 feet high.
Thanks for the comment...

And without further ado, here is this years display.. Unfortunately no snow yet :(

Garage and Island

Driveway view

Front yard view (street)

Front Yard

Rudolph

3 years ago, Rudolph had all the other reindeer's with him.. But over time, lights went out on the others so he is alone with the sleigh now :lol:

No.. They were under the snow.. I've lost count on how many extension cords I have to run... I just know this year I looked at the box of cords and thought "I'm set" Only to finish with none left.. Almost had to run to the store, but found one in a closet :)
That's certainly much more logical. 

You know it's serious business when you start running conduit though. 

That's certainly much more logical. 

You know it's serious business when you start running conduit though. 
Years ago when we first moved in, I ran a separate circuit from my breaker panel. I put sockets in my soffits and garage on that same circuit, tied to a switch in my basement. So I can turn the whole display on with one flip of the switch. 

Kids love being the one to flip the switch every night. Works great.

I did it last fall.   I really like it and have gotten a lot of compliments.   A friend also had them installed after seeing mine.   The company charges for the materials and the installer charges you separately, but it ends up being charged by lineal foot.   I did the front roofline of my house and two gables and I think it came out to about $2200.   I know that sounds pricey, but companies that put up lights and take them down each year charge about $1000/year and this is a one-time charge.    With the lifetime warranty, it makes it worth it.  Their customer service is great.  I've had to call them twice and once they walked me through the issue and once they had to send a tech at no charge.

I want to do the back of my house, which is also visible from the adjoining street.   I'll probably do it next June when they have a 20% off deal each year.

There are a couple of other companies that offer a similar product and services.  I went with these guys because there's a local franchise.
$2200 to keep my butt off the ladder each year is 100% worth it. Doesn't seem like there are any dealers in the NY area though. 

Years ago when we first moved in, I ran a separate circuit from my breaker panel. I put sockets in my soffits and garage on that same circuit, tied to a switch in my basement. So I can turn the whole display on with one flip of the switch. 

Kids love being the one to flip the switch every night. Works great.
we did a big extension about 2 years ago and the best thing I put in were the soffit plugs. Makes it so much easier to string everything. Seems like a no-brainer that very few builders do

More than a few lights on the bushes but nowhere near griswold status.   And jesus christ, someone pays $1k.   I just read on nextdoor.com that someone paid a plumber $205/hr to install a kitchen faucet.  That's two jawdroppers in the last hour.   

Well, my hopes for something similar were amazingly dashed.  Guy just came out and gave us a quote.  It's outrageous.

Suffice to say that, he said he's willing to do our home at "cost" because of where we are and we'd be the first home in the area as a way of advertising, and it's over $6K to do. 

That'll be a hard pass.  Great idea and product but prohibitive cost.

Walmart in our area has a deal where you supply the lights and extension cords and they have partnered with a company that charges $100 for the first level and $200 for the 2nd--but the max is just 25 feet high. I took out the ladder and  just put up lights on the lower level. We have one of those huge snowman inflatables in the front yard and a couple of those projector lights with snowflakes. Nothing fancy. Our neighbor is one of those guys that has the full Griswald thing going on complete with lights that are synced to music and go off in patterns. Really screws up traffic in front of our house at night.

We have a 16 foot tree inside that my cat is just making life a living hell. He won't stay out of it. You come out in the main room because, you know, things are too quiet, and sure enough, there are these two eyes about 3/4th of the way up and just balls strewn all over the floor. I get the spray bottle out, but I have a cat who loves water, so that has no effect on him. 

Well, my hopes for something similar were amazingly dashed.  Guy just came out and gave us a quote.  It's outrageous.

Suffice to say that, he said he's willing to do our home at "cost" because of where we are and we'd be the first home in the area as a way of advertising, and it's over $6K to do. 

When I was looking at these I also looked at these companies.  Myeverlights has a DIY option.

myeverlights

oelo

I got one of these outdoor smart plugs last year and it's been great with my Google Home Minis.  I have the inflatables on one plug and the lights on another plug so I can keep the lights on if it's too windy for the inflatables. 

I got one of these outdoor smart plugs last year and it's been great with my Google Home Minis.  I have the inflatables on one plug and the lights on another plug so I can keep the lights on if it's too windy for the inflatables. 
Smart plugs are great. I have a couple of THESE that I use for Halloween and Christmas. I can turn them on with Alexa or just create a schedule in the Alexa app. No more running outside before heading to bed. 

I used to enjoy getting up on the roof to do the lights and figuring out how to power...now it’s anything I can find that’s solar powered or battery operated.

We've been hanging ornaments on the front tree for over a decade now. We used to go bigger with lights, reindeer, etc. but now it's the ornaments, some fake candles and wreaths on each window, a snoopy and a moose by the front door. We need to go donate or trash our old decorations.

Also, 5 trees inside.

FUBAR said:
We've been hanging ornaments on the front tree for over a decade now. We used to go bigger with lights, reindeer, etc. but now it's the ornaments, some fake candles and wreaths on each window, a snoopy and a moose by the front door. We need to go donate or trash our old decorations.

Also, 5 trees inside.
Where are you? Maybe I could come pick them up 

Been noticing this tactic more often with home improvement sales.  I had a few companies come out for quotes on new windows with similar sales strategies.  We get a deal for being the first house, put a sign in the yard for 6 months after install, and then get $500 for each house in the neighborhood who signs up, etc.  Yeah, right.

Side note, $6k in tactical floodlights pointed directly at your new neighbor for the win. 

Users who are viewing this thread