What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chronicles of an IDP Dynasty League Rebuild (1 Viewer)

Keg

Footballguy
This is not an advice thread, just my account of how I am rebuilding my team.

IT IS VERY LONG but I tried to give as much insight as to what I was doing as possible. If you have any comments good or bad thats fine. If you could care less then move along. My intent is to share how I am handling a rebuild and if that can help someone either from learning from something i did well or learning from a mistake then thats great...Now on to the rebuild!

Well my favorite league is a 16 team IDP Dynasty league with 35 rosters and 12 player Rookie Taxi Squads

it is also a contract league, we get $50/yr every year after RFA and the money can carry over.

Starting requirements: 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE(max 2 TEs), 2Flex(RB,WR,TE), 1K, 2-3DL, 2-3LB, 2-3DB(tot. 8 def starters)

tackles 2pts, assists 1pt, sacks 2pts, int2pts, PD1.5pts, offensive scoring is perfor with ppr...

History:

2003 was the leagues first year and my first draft pick was:

Corey Dillon at 1.13 followed by William Green at 2.4 :wall:

I went on to win my Division in year 1 but got bounced in the playoffs mainly because of a monster game by Portis

2004 & 2005 my team was besieged with injuries

2006 I decided its time to rebuild...i sorta tried to retool in 05 and got hammered with injuries and was gonna retool in 06 but decided to do a complete and total tear down and rebuild from the ground up:

This is what my last starting lineup of 2005 looked like:

contract length is what it was after the last game.

Hasslebeck(1)

Dillon(RFA)

Holt(2), Kennison(1), Ward(RFA), Glenn(RFA)

LJ Smith(5)

Kaeding(3)

Strahan(RFA), JHenderson(RFA)

Pierce(6), Bockwoldt(3),MarkBrown(1)

STaylor(8),Chavous(1), THolt(RFA)

also note that Ray Ray(2) & Winslow(8) were both on IR

My DTS at the end of last yr looked like this:

Mauck, Pickett, VanPelt, Seneca Wallace

Shaud Williams, Quincy Wilson

McCune, Jared Newberry

Josh Bullocks, Considine, Rashad Washington, Fabian Washington

Here is a list of some notable players that will be availabe in RFA this coming year:

QBs: Hasslebeck, Brees & Delhomme

RBs: Tiki, Edge, Thomas Jones, Henry, Barlow, Betts & Rhodes

WRs: Chad Johnson, Boldin, DJax, Plaxico, Bryant, Kennison,& Bruce

TEs: Heap, Shockey & Gonzo(we can start 2 TEs and they get 1ppr everyone else gets .5/recp)

DLs: Osi, Suggs, JTaylor, Burgess, Freeney, Kapmann, Mathis & Kevin Williams

LBs: Bulluck, Witherspoon, MPeterson, Briggs, Fletcher, ZachT, June, DEdwards, PisaT, LMarshall, Crowell &

DBs: Adrian Wilson, Polamalu

I currently have the most money to spend in RFA and will give each teams totals at the very end.

so here is a chronicle of the rebuild...I will refer to my team as TEAM R(for rebuild)

contracts will be listed (x) after players names

1st deal was back in March:

Trade 1 3/27/06

TEAM R gave up Lewis, Ray BAL LB(2)

Team Left Coast gave up Ulbrich, Jeff SFO LB(2); Rook pick 8.11

& $9

back in march i was leary of Ray being able to return to his former self and conversely expected big things from Ulbrich this year(boy was I wrong)...I figured if Ulbrich really blew up I would be able to deal him for good value or with at least have a decent LB the following year...cash was because I was going to target Lamont Jordan in RFA...overall I think I lost on this deal and would have gotten much more for Ray Ray now vs then...but it was a piece of the puzzle that lead me to decide to do the complete tear down.

after the Ray Ray trade I started to look long and hard at my team and what I saw was a bunch of guys with one year contracts and some talented RFAs....so I i pondered do i make a move in this years RFA and try for a one year run at the title again(that didnt work so well last yr) or do I go into rebuild mode...it wasnt an easy decision but with only Corey Dillon(RFA) as my only RB my future didnt look bright so the rebuild was on...i started shopping everyone on my roster and the following are trades that took place...at the end I will post what my team looks like now...

Trade 2 3/27/06

TEAM R gave up the RIGHTS to Strahan, Michael NYG DE(RFA)

Team Coffee sends $4.

Strahan was an RFA(restricted free agent, owner has matching rights) and his age didnt fit with my rebuild so I figured I would deal him for some cash for future aquisitions

Trade 3 3/27/06

TEAM R gave up RIGHTS to Ward, Hines PIT WR(RFA)

Team Dawgs gave up $7

Note that Ward was anohter RFA and I really didnt like the pitt offense going forward and figured Ward would cost to much to keep in RFA, getting $7 for his rights was a very nice deal

Trade 4 3/29/06

TEAM R gave up Kennison, Eddie KCC WR(1)

Team Crush gave up Rook pick 2.13, Rook pick 4.14

& $5

Kennison was on a one year deal so I figured I should get as much value out of him as I can because I figured that a decline was very possible this yr, so I looked for a team that was weak at WR but looking to challenge for their div title.

Trade 5 3/29/06

TEAM R gave up Hasselbeck, Matt SEA QB(1)

Team Left Coast gave up Rook pick 1.11 and 3.11

& $3

Well considering Hasslebeck was my only starting QB, I was now at the point of no return. Could I have gotten more cash in the deal? Probably but overall I was pretty happy with the deal and 1.11 was used to help me move up and aquire AJ Hawk in our Rook Draft.

Trade 6 3/29/06

TEAM R gave up Dillon, Corey NEP RB(RFA);Holt, Torry STL WR(2);Henderson, John JAC DT(RFA)

Team Relocate gave up Engram, Bobby SEA WR(1)

Rook picks 1.1 and 3.1

The deal that netted me my RB of the future REGGIE BUSH...I was one of the guys that passed on LT for Bennett(different league) a few years ago...I wasnt a complete Bush disciple but I couldnt pass on him like i did on LT. It wasnt easy to deal Holt and his 2 yr contract(only he and Ray Ray had more then a 1yr contract in all my deals)

Trade 7 3/31/06

TEAM R gave up RIGHTS to Glenn, Terry DAL WR(RFA)

Team Coffee sends $2.

another RFA WR that didn't fit into my rebuild so getting something was better then letting him walk in RFA

Trade 8 4/08/06

TEAM R gave up $10

Team Clinton gave up RIGHTS to Chambers, Chris MIA WR(RFA)

2007 3rd and 2007 5th rook picks

This deal sorta came back to bite me in the butt for a bit, I basically wanted chambers as a building block for my recvrs and figured that if i owned his rights i would just be able to match the current high bid and be done..but we have a special rule that allowed the high bidder to up his bid... and he upped it to $28...now I am pretty heavily invested in Chambers so I couldnt let him walk and yet I didnt want to spend that much on him...so i matched and then started shopping him right after RFA finished up

Trade 9 05/11/06

TEAM R gave up Faulk, Marshall STL RB(1)

Team Midget sends $7

Well in his defense he owned SJAX and with me rebuilding he was the odds on fav to win our div and it was prior to any real bad news on marshall...i made out like a bandit on this deal

Trade 10 05/12/06

TEAM R gave up Engram, Bobby SEA WR(1)

Team Chef Boyardee gave up Moore, Clarence BAL WR(1) or DTS I cant remember

& $2

Engram wasnt gonna help me this yr, and i probably could have gotten more if i had waited until there was major worries about DJax knee.

Trade 11 5/15/06

TEAM R gave up rook pick 1.07 & 1.11

Team Midget gave up rook pick 1.04; 2007 Round 5 Draft Pick

I worked this trade and the next trade at the same time...i really wanted Hawk and was afraid he would go at 1.6...so all by itself i dont like this deal much but coupled with the next deal I think it worked out for me. However, in hindsight I would probably have passed on the next deal and taken maroney at 1.4

Trade 12 5/15/06

TEAM R gave up rook pick 1.04 & rook pick 3.01

Team Bourbon gave up rook pick 1.06; rook pick 1.16; rook pick 2.06; rook pick 5.06

pretty much summed up how i felt about this deal above...they were tied together and I wouldnt have agreed to one without having the other lined up.

Trade 13 5/16/06

TEAM Rgave up rook pick 4.14 & 4.16

Team Tasty Cakes gave up rook pick 3.13

This trade was all about getting Derek Hagan, who I see being a very good #2 WR in MIA in a year or 2.

Trade 14 5/16/06

TEAM R gave up Haynes, Verron PIT RB(2), 2007 Round 3 Draft Pick

Team Crush gave up rook pick 3.14

Basically I was working trade 12 and 13 at the same time because I wanted 2 specific players Derek Hagan and Thomas Howard...also fwiw the Crush owner has FWP

Trade 15 6/14/06

TEAM R gave up McCune, Robert FA LB(DTS);Considine, Sean PHI S(DTS)

Team Bourbon gave up $3

This deal took place right before final roster declaration and I was going to cut both players from my DTS so getting $3 was worth it...in hindsight I kinda wish i had given considine a contract to see how he turns out...but DB is always deep so no worries.

Trade 16 6/14/06

TEAM R gave up Cundiff, Billy FA PK(1)

Team Clinton gives $1

Well cundiff was my 3rd kicker at the time and another team needed a 2nd kicker so I sold him for a buck and it was of course before he was cut by the pack.

Trade 17 7/28/06

TEAM R gave up Jackson, Tarvaris MIN QB(DTS)

Team Coffee gave up Croyle, Brodie KCC QB(DTS); Year 2007 Round 6 Rook Pick

& $3

I really like TJax upside but he is raw and I think Croyle has just as good an opportunity in front of him in KC, plus i get more money and a draft pick...whats not to like(lots if TJax pans out and Croyle doesnt, but my fingers are crossed)...add to that team coffee is a vikes fan

Trade 18 8/15/06

TEAM R gave up Burleson, Nate SEA WR(1);Chambers, Chris MIA WR(OPEN);Robinson, Koren GBP WR(1)

Team Clinton gave up Chatman, Antonio CIN WR;Davis, Andre' BUF WR;Johnson, Kevin FA WR

& $54

Well as I stated earlier I was gonna shop Chambers after RFA and for a bit I thought i was gonna have to keep him(remember I wasnt happy with what his cost was to me)...but then the team that initially gave up on him in RFA opened his wallet, and he did so in a big big way...to the tune of $54(we only get $50/yr). I didnt expect anything much at all from the dead weight WRs i got(but i did think Davis could have some value in Buff, looks like i was wrong)...all in all I am VERY happy with this deal.

Trade 19 8/15/06

TEAM Rgave up Year 2007 Round 8 Rook Pick

Team Coffee gave up Gregg, Kelly BAL DT(1)

I needed to add a DL to my team for the year and was looking to add one without spending any cash on the wire. I didnt expect much from Gregg but he has been a nice player this yr.

Trade 20 8/21/06

TEAM R gave up Smith, L.J. PHI TE(5)

Team Coffee gave up Jackson, Vincent SDC WR(DTS);Scobee, Josh JAC PK(4);Kiwanuka, Mathias NYG DE(DTS); Year 2007 Round 3 Rook Pick, 2007 Round 5 Draft Pick

I hated giving up LJ Smith, I have been one of his biggest proponents the past 2 yrs, but my other WR is winslow who has an 8yr contract so i felt i had the ability to deal LJ Smith. What I loved was getting another WR that I think will be a beast in a year or so in Vincent Jackson then you have the upside of KIWI at DL(Jared Allen already on my roster) and a couple of extra picks. IMO a very nice deal, but it was good for both parties.

Trade 21 9/18/06

TEAM R gave up Pierce, Antonio NYG LB(6)

Team Goat Humper gave up Year 2007 Round 1 Rook Pick; Year 2007 Round 2 Rook Pick

& $25

This deal was also a hard one to do because Pierce is one of my favorite players but a team that is rebuilding finds it very hard to turn down a 1st and 2nd and $25. The team that got pierce really needed him, his team is anchored on offense by LT and ALexander yet he has never made the playoffs in this league, pierce seemed to be a piece that could help him get over that hump. This trade was pre-injury to Alexander.

Trade 22 10/11/06

TEAM R gave up Becht, Anthony TBB TE(1);Thornton, David TEN LB(1);Chavous, Corey STL S(1); Year 2007 Round 4 Rook Pick

Team Relocate gave up Wilson, Cedrick PIT WR(1);Arrington, Lavar NYG LB(2);Surtain, Patrick KCC CB(1)

& $12

Well thorton was playing so well I decided with bye weeks it was a good time to shop him, the team that dealt for him is 4-1(never made the playoffs before) and had some issues with the bye at LB & TE. He also happens to be playing another 4-1 team and one of them could end up winning the wild card leaving the other on the outside looking in. For me it was about the cash! The players i got were more to make the contracts work on his side more then anything else.

Trade 23 10/20/06

TEAM R gave up RGould (1)

Team Toke gave up JHanson (1) and $1

I already have NKaeding (3) and JScobee(4) under contract at the kicking position, i wanted to try and get some money for gould....i sent a PM to this owner, I accidentally typed in Hanson and $1 when I meant to type $2, but he resonded he would take the deal so I honored it...i knew at that point I was also going to try and turn hanson into $1 to net $2 on what would have been a player I would have let go for NOTHING in RFA

Trade 24 10/20/06

TEAM R gave up JHanson (1)

Team Midget gave up $1

There I was able to net $2 from my 3rd kicker position that would have just walked away in RFA(i wouldnt have wasted a dime to match a 3rd kicker with the needs i have)

Trade 25 10/20/06

TEAM R gave up KGregg (1)

Team Midget gave up BPoppinga (1yr) & $1

I was able to land a starting LB to help cover a bye issue as well as bank an extra $1 for a DL that is a having a banner year, DL are like TEs for the most part but getting something for him was better then nothing...I highly doubt I would have matched him in RFA this upcoming year if I didnt deal him

Trade 26 10/25/06

TEAM R gave up AJ Hawk(DTS) Jon Alston(DTS)

Team Coffee gave up Jason Campbell(DTS), Abdul Hodge(DTS), JJ Arrington(5)

6th round rook pick in 2007 & $2

One of the reasons i never assigned Hawk a contract was i figured if an opportunity presented itself to trade him to a contending team the contract I assigned would possibly limit my trade partners. Sure enough a contender will lose Merriman for 4 games(pending the appeal)...and in return i did take on some risk, Campbell isnt guaranteed to be the heir but with nothing at QB yet I figured specualtion on him was worth it, if he is the heir having Al Saunders as an OC isnt a bad thing and Washington does have some very nice offensive weapons. In Hodge there is the chance he lands on the Strong Side next yr but my money is that Barnett leaves GB and hodge will inherit a ver productive MLB spot. The 6th rounder and cash were to help offset some of the risk that I did take on. This is either going to be a deal i look back on very fondly or one that will make me question myself for a long time. However, considering the quality LBs that will be available in RFA I figured this deal is worth the risk. The JJ Arrington part of it was to make the deal work contract wise, but it seems that JJ may not have been the problem in Zona and Edge isnt getting any younger. If JJ turns into anything at all its pure gravy.

Trade 27 10/24/06

TEAM R gave up 7th round rook pick in 2007

Team Bourbon gave up Rod Gardner (1)

I lost clarence moore when he was cut by balt. Actually he was inactive for every week except 2 and I didnt realize that. At least Gardner is an active player that sees the field. This move was just to help me field an active lineup. I considered keeping the draft pick and activating Derek Hagan but reassesed that and didnt think that would be wise with the disaray that Miami is in right now.

Trade 28 11/10/06

TEAM R gave up: Kellen Winslow(8), Kiwanuka(4) & Shaun Williams(2)

Team Clinton gave up: Carnell Williams(5), Courtney Anderson(2), Ryan Pickett(1)

Stephen Cooper(3), Matt Wilhelm(3), Michael Lewis(4)

I found it pretty hard to give up Winslow thus leaving me with virtually nothing at TE(CAnderson) but with Bush on my DTS and staring 1.1 or 1.2 in the face i wasnt able to pass up on Caddy. Caddy is having a bad year but the entire bucs offense is in disarray and next yr the oline should be better and hopefully so is Caddy. Caddy Bush and 1.1 or 1.2 is going to give me 3 very nice young RBs to continue this build around.

Also think I may have landed the next LB to take over for Donnie Edwards in SD in Cooper or Wilhelm and

hopefully Michael Lewis ends up with another team next year and is a starter at SS(I think he will be).

WAIVER WIRE PICKUPS

Justin Fargas(2) $1

RandelEl(1) $1

Caleb Miller(1) $1

OK to help digest all that, if it was one huge trade it would look like this:

So when all is said and done I got the following:

$103net(recd 141 but sent 10 to Team Clinton, matched chambers at $28)

1.1, 1.6, 1.11, 2.6, 2.13, 3.11, 3.14, 5.6, 8.11

the following 2007 draft picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 5th, 6th

Croyle(DTS)

Carnell Williams(5), JJ Arrington(5)

VJackson(DTS), CWilson 1yr, CMoore(DTS,I think), AChatman 1yr, ADavis 1yr, Kevin Johnson 1yr, RGardner 1yr

Courtney Anderson(2)

Scobee 4yrs

Pickett(1)

Ulbrich 2yrs(who i had very high hopes for :( ), LArrington 2yrs Poppinga 1yr, Wilhelm(3), Cooper(3)

Surtain 1yr MLewis(4)

What did I give up?

1.4, 1.7, 1.11, 3.1, 4.14, 4.16

3rd, 4th 7th and 8th round picks in 2007

Hasslebeck 1yr, Tavaris Jackson(DTS)

Dillon(RFA), Haynes 2yrs, MFaulk 1yr

Holt 2yrs, Kennison 1yr, Glenn(RFA), Ward(RFA), Chambers(OPEN), Krob 1yr, Burleson 1yr, Engram 1yr

LJ Smith 5yrs, Becht 1yr KWinslow(8)

Cundiff 1yr or open cant remember(but he did get cut) Gould(1) Hanson(1)

JHenderson(RFA), Strahan(RFA) KGregg 1yr Kiwi(4)

Pierce 6yrs, Ray Ray 2yrs, Thornton 1yr, McCune(DTS) AJ Hawk(DTS) JAlston(DTS)

Chavous 1yr, Considine(DTS) SWilliams(2)

So now what does my team look like today?

Nall(3), Seneca Wallace(2), Mike McMahon(1)

Caddy(5), KFaulk(1), Shaud Williams(1), PPass(1) JJ Arrington (5), JFargas(2-WWpickup)

Sinorice Moss(6),CWilson(1), CMoore(1),AChatman(1),ADavis(1) RGardner(1), RandelEl(1-WWpickup)

CAnderson(2)

Kaeding(3), Scobee(4),

JaredAllen(2), Pickett(1), Stroud(2),

Wilhelm(3), Cooper(3) Arrington(2), Bockwoldt(3) Ulbrich(2) Poppinga(1), CalebMiller(1-WWpickup)

STaylor(8), JoshBullocks(3),MLewis(4), Demps(2), Surtain(1), Cedrick Griffin(3)

Chad Greenway is on IR with a 5yr Contract

My DTS:

KClemens, Croyle

Jason Campbell

Reggie Bush

Vincent Jackson, DHagan, Demitrius Williams, JWebb

THoward, AHodge, Gaither, Jamar Williams

Ok now remember this group of upcoming RFA players:

Here is a list of some notable players that will be availabe in RFA this coming year:

QBs: Hasslebeck, Brees & Delhomme

RBs: Tiki, Edge, Thomas Jones, Henry, Barlow, Betts & Rhodes

WRs: Chad Johnson, Boldin, DJax, Plaxico, Bryant, Kennison, & Bruce

TEs: Heap, Shockey & Gonzo(we can start 2 TEs and they get 1ppr everyone else gets .5/recp)

DLs: Osi, Suggs, JTaylor, Burgess, Freeney, Kapmann, Mathis & Kevin Williams

LBs: Bulluck, Witherspoon, MPeterson, Briggs, Fletcher, ZachT, June, DEdwards, PisaT, LMarshall, Crowell &

DBs: Adrian Wilson, Polamalu

Here is a listing of what teams have for cash as of today(10/25/2006)and we wont get anymore cash until after RFA 2007. So if somone wants more cash they have to trade to get it from someone else:

I have $205(23% of the league money)

My divison mates have: $62, $48 & $36

The other div in my conf has: $55*, $42, $17, $9**

*Owns bullock, spoon, shockey and brees

** has no notable RFAs and a very very good team(SB favorite imo)

The other Conf has:

Div A

$110*, $69**, $45, $34

*owns Hasslebeck & TSuggs

** owns Edge, Delhomme & Boldin

Div B

$45, $45, $35, $28

as a whole there is currently: $885 of which I own 22.6%

I think that with the amount of money that I have along with my current DTS and the

draft picks I have next year(2-1sts, 2-2nds, 2-3rds, 4-5ths, 2-6ths & a 7th) that I should be able to

turn this team around rather quickly...If I am really fortunate maybe even contend for a playoff spot

next year.

Currently I do sit as the worst team in the league but believe it or not I won my 1st game of the season(that team is currently in 1st place in our division) and that was because another team finally won its first game of the season this past week. More then likely I am looking at a top3 pick but could easily be as low as 1.5 or as high as 1.1...only time will tell...until then this year will absolutely kill me but I cant wait for next RFA and Rookie Draft...I will have to come back and give an update after RFA and then the Rook draft next yr.

2006 End of Season Roster:

CSimms(4),SWallace(2),Nall(3),McMahon(1)

Caddy(5),JJArington(5), Fargas(2),KFaulk(1),Pass(1),ShaudWilliams(1)

SinoriceMoss(6),RandelEl(1),CWilson(1)CMoore(1),

RGardner(1),ADavis(1),AChatman(1)

CourtneyAnderson(2)

Kaeding(3),Scobee(4)

JaredAllen(2),Stoud(2),Pickett(1)

CGreenway(5)SCooper(3),Wilhelm(3),CalebMiller(1),Ulbrich(2),

Bockwoldt(3),Poppinga(1),LArrington(2)

SeanTaylor(8),JBullocks(3),MichaelLewis(4),CedricGriffin(3),Demps(2),Surtain(1)

DTS:

Jason Campbell, KClemens, BCroyle

REGGIE BUSH

Vincent Jackson, DHagan, Dem.Williams,JWebb

THoward, OGaither, Abdul Hodge, JamarWilliams

UPDATES:

12/12/06 My team finished tied with another team at 2-11

but due to having scored fewer points I will draft 1.1

12/12/06: Current Cash Level $201(23%) of $870

Thoughts:

QB:

I feel much better about at least having a starting QB next yr in Jason Campbell(I think he has earned the FT Gig next yr)...but I will also most likely go hard after Drew Brees in RFA

RB:

Bush while not showing much ability to run btwn the tackles is ranked as the #8 RB in this league after week 14 so he will be a viable starter for my squad next year. Hopefully Caddy is able to bounce back next year and be a serviceable #2 RB with #1 upside. 1.1 is most likely going to be Adrian Peterson but there is still a ton that could happen btwn now and the draft. However, whats not to like about a young starting backfield of: Reggie Bush, Carnell Williams & Adrian Peterson in a dynasty league?

WR:

If I am able to run out 3 RBs then I will only need to mine 2 starters at WR and with Chad Johnson and Boldin both avail in RFA I am going to be targeting one if not both of them(the boldin owner does have the 3rd most cash though)...and I still like the prospects of Vjax and DHagan too...would like to see Sinorice show something over the last few weeks too but WR should be an area I can improve greatly for next year.

K: got 2 good ones that are both young

DL: Jared Allen will be the anchor but after that I will be fishing in the rook draft and RFA for a 2nd viable starter.

LB: I like the prospects I have in Wilhelm/Cooper if/when Edwards leaves SD...and Thomas Howard posted double digit scoring every week but one in my scoring system and then there is gaither who is starting to show his value in philly and hodge who will hopefully get a shot to play MLB in GB next yr. Couple that with the likes of Bullock, Witherspoon, Briggs, Thomas, Peterson, Flethcer-Baker, June all being RFA I should be able to assemble a very good LBing crew.

DB:Sean Taylor and that stupid 8 yr contract I gave him is at least starting to pay off(ranked #13 thru 14 weeks), Cedric Griffin seems like he is going to be a player too and JBullocks has shown flashes but considering that DB is always so deep and avail via waivers I dont really have any major concerns for DB going forward.

My wish list for our RFA period in April:

1QB(Brees)

1-2WR(hopefully one of CJ or Boldin)

1DL

2-LBs(any combo of these guys would be great: Bullock, Spoon, Briggs,Peterson, June,Fletcher-Baker)

Now just to enjoy the rest of the NFL season and wait for the trading period to open back up after the Super Bowl.

=================================

Going to use this point to list trades for 2007

Roster as of March 1st 2007:

QBs: Simms,C(3),Wallace,S(1)

RBs: Caddy(4), Arrington, J.J.(4), Fargas(1), Faulk,K(RFA), Pass(RFA), Williams, Shaud BUF(RFA)

Johnson, Chad(RFA), Chatman, A(RFA), Davis,A(RFA), Gardner,R(RFA)

Moore,C(RFA), Randle El(RFA), Wilson, Cedrick(RFA), Moss, Sinorice(5), Plax(open Contract)

TEs: Anderson,C(1)

Ks: Kaeding(2), Scobee(3)

DLs: Allen,J(1), Stroud(1), Pickett(RFA)

LBs: Wilhelm(2) Cooper S(2), Greenway(4), Miller,C(RFA), Poppinga(RFA)

DBs: Taylor, S(7), Lewis, Mike(3), Griffin,C(2), Bullocks,J(2)

Demps,W(1), Surtain(RFA)

Taxi Squad

Campbell,J, Clemens,K, Croyle,B

Bush, Reggie NOS RB

Jackson, Vincent, Hagan, Derek, Webb, Jeff, Williams, Demetrius

Gaither, Omar, Hodge, Abdul, Howard, Thomas, Williams, Jamar

Starting Cash $201

Draft Picks 1.1, 1.10, 2.1, 2.10, 3.16, 5.1, 5.11, 5.15, 5.16, 6.1, 6.8

Cash Running Balance:

$201

-$5(CJs rights trade)

-25(Plax FA bid)

$171

-$10(brees rights)

$161

Cash Traded:5,10

Picks Traded Away:3.15,6.11

Picks Traded For:

Players Traded Away:

Players Traded For:Chad Johnson(rights), Drew Brees(rights)

Players acquired in RFA:

Players acquired in FA: Plax($25)

Trade 1 of 2007:2/28/07

TEAM R gave up $5, 3.15 pick 2007, 6.11 pick 2007

Boston Tea Party trade matching rights to Chad Johnson

A pretty steep price to pay for CJs rights when I could just bid on him but to me its an insurance premium to make sure he ends up on my squad...now to figure out if he will get higher bids to drain my money or will he get fewer bids because of my money...my odds are on people trying to drain me.

Trade 2 of 07 3/29/07

TEAM R gave up $10

Team Cracker gave up Rights to Drew Brees

I did not want to pay $10 just for the rights to Brees but was left with little alternative as the Brees owner was also the owner of the following RFAs: Brees/Henry/Betts/Fragile/Shockey/Bullock/Spoon. My plan was to place bids on Spoon, Betts Henry and Fragile in order to drain his cash($55) but he went and traded Henry and Bullocks to the guy with the 2nd most cash meaning he would be able to better protect Brees/Shockey and Spoon...I need a solid option at QB so I felt I had to make the move. Now to see what he ends up costing me to keep in RFA(starts 4/2)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a very helpful posting for the newbies and vets alike. I'll put it in the FAQ -- thanks for taking the time to put it together. It's a great illustration of why a dynasty owner has to have a very good idea of what direction they want to go in and stay committed to it. If you're going to drive for the title in a given year -- do it, if you're going to be patient and try to build a 3-4 year dynasty -- do it, if you're going to tear down and rebuild -- do it. But don't waver.

Overall, I love what you've done, especially turning your vets who were unlikely to be a big part of a 2007 run (Strahan, Glenn, Ward, etc) into hard currency to use to control the RFA market this season and defining the window you wanted to shoot for as a goal for your rebuild.

The only issue I have, which is easy for me to harp on in hindsight, but is key for dynasty owners is the Hawk over RB pick, in this case Maroney. Although it's easier to acquire a stud RB in leagues with cap constraints than in leagues where you have to have a high draft pick or a bunch of depth to package, passing up a potential stud at a premium position for another position that is easier to fill requires near 100% certainty that you're doing the right thing.

I saw teams pass Maroney in favor of AJ Hawk and Vernon Davis this summer. IMO, it's a huge error, no matter how studly Hawk and Davis turn out to be. Players like DeMeco Ryans, Lofa Tatupu, Chris Cooley, LJ Smith, etc are often available in the second, third or later rounds. You have to be extremely lucky to grab a top ten back that late. Maybe a Jerome Harrison or Ciatrick Fason or Tatum Bell pans out -- but it's not as likely.

But, with the job you did in acquiring cash you should be able to overcome that misstep fairly easily if you aren't derailed by injury. Fantastic post and keep us informed of how things go in the next 12 months.

I don't understand your taxi squad. Are you starting Bush?
no i am not starting Bush. Our Taxi Squad(DTS:developmental taxi squad)is structured so that you can only place a rookie on it in their ROOKIE YEAR and then they can stay on your DTS for 3 years, aftter that you have to either activate them or cut them. If I were to cut a player from my DTS that was a rook last yr and another team picked him up he would not be eligible for their DTS, but if i cut a Rookie from this years draft then another owner could pick him up in our waiver process(blind bids, processed weekly) and place him on their DTS. If i were to activate a rook off my dts to my active roster but then later I cut them and another team decides to aquire him he would not be eligible for their DTS, he would have to be placed on the active roster.did any of that make sense?

This is a very helpful posting for the newbies and vets alike. I'll put it in the FAQ -- thanks for taking the time to put it together. It's a great illustration of why a dynasty owner has to have a very good idea of what direction they want to go in and stay committed to it. If you're going to drive for the title in a given year -- do it, if you're going to be patient and try to build a 3-4 year dynasty -- do it, if you're going to tear down and rebuild -- do it. But don't waver.Overall, I love what you've done, especially turning your vets who were unlikely to be a big part of a 2007 run (Strahan, Glenn, Ward, etc) into hard currency to use to control the RFA market this season and defining the window you wanted to shoot for as a goal for your rebuild.The only issue I have, which is easy for me to harp on in hindsight, but is key for dynasty owners is the Hawk over RB pick, in this case Maroney. Although it's easier to acquire a stud RB in leagues with cap constraints than in leagues where you have to have a high draft pick or a bunch of depth to package, passing up a potential stud at a premium position for another position that is easier to fill requires near 100% certainty that you're doing the right thing.I saw teams pass Maroney in favor of AJ Hawk and Vernon Davis this summer. IMO, it's a huge error, no matter how studly Hawk and Davis turn out to be. Players like DeMeco Ryans, Lofa Tatupu, Chris Cooley, LJ Smith, etc are often available in the second, third or later rounds. You have to be extremely lucky to grab a top ten back that late. Maybe a Jerome Harrison or Ciatrick Fason or Tatum Bell pans out -- but it's not as likely. But, with the job you did in acquiring cash you should be able to overcome that misstep fairly easily if you aren't derailed by injury. Fantastic post and keep us informed of how things go in the next 12 months.
well in hindsight I think i should have stood pat with my 1.7 and 1.11 and taken leinart(1-5 were RBs and 6 was gonna be Davis more then likely)....if i wasnt dead set on taking hawk i never would have done that deal to aquire 1.4 that i then flipped...and to be honest i lost sight of the quality of LBs that would be avail in the 2007 RFA, but also at the time i drafted hawk i wasnt as financially rich as I wound up being...again not sure that made any senseits late and i need some sleep :loco:

did any of that make sense?
:thumbup: So, Bush rides the taxi all year helping you to a higher draft pick? :unsure:
well that is one way to look at it, the other is that with a contract cap bush has more value being on my DTS. If i decide i want to deal Bush or a playoff team thinks bush puts them over the top and they are willing to make an offer I cant refuse then having Bush on my DTS gives me more trade partners, if i gave bush a contract it would be in excess of 5 years and there simply arent many if any teams that would be able to take a contract like that on once the season starts. So from where I stand that is why i have Bush, Hawk, Howard all still on my DTS. Not to mention that those guys are still all pretty unproven and I made the mistake of giving winslow and staylor huge contracts that have burdened my team. So I guess its easiest to sum up by saying leaving bush etc on my DTS gives me options. fwiw even with bush on my active roster I dont think he would win me a single game(i do plan to go back and see if his points in any given week would have won me any games).

Interesting, Keg. I have a similar rebuild going on. 16 team dynasty IDP. I took the team over around week 11 of 2005. I took a different approach than Keg. In weekly blind bid FA before the season ended, I picked up the following players for $1 each: Nedney, Hillenmeyer, Diggs. This league hands out 75 league dollars AFTER the RFA period.

So, my key players looked like this, with $59 league dollars in the account in () is that players contract length:

Brady (0)

F Taylor (0)

C Houston (2)

Chad Johnson (0)

M Clayton (3)

Crumpler (2)

Nedney (1)

Spears (5)

Ogunleye (3)

Kearney (2) -we start 3 DL

D Smith (3)

Barton (3)

K Kennedy (2)

Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 K, 1 TE, 3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB. T=2, sack= 3.5, INT= 3, offensive scoring is standard performance, PPR for RB= 0.5, for TE & WR=1.0

I had all of my 2006 draft picks in the bank, and was picking at 1.6. This team was a mess. There was no way I could match the bids for Brady, Taylor and Johnson. Johnson alone would just about bankrupt me.

I decided to rebuild mostly through the draft. I worked this deal (I matchted Brady and Taylor in FA, traded rights to Johnson for: 2.7, 2.14, 2.16 and a 2007 1st. It cost me 26 to match for Brady and Taylor, Johnson went for 40. The bank account is now down to 42.

As a contingency, the Kitna owner agreed not to match and I bought his 2.10 for 18. Aquired Bledsoe for 12, and Kitna for 6. If McCown won the starting job, I'd get him for 1 also. Down to $4.

Now, I've stockpiled picks. I have 1.6, 2.6, 2.7, 2.10, 2.16 and 3.6, and an aquired 2007 1st. The draft starts, and Maroney is still there at 1.4. I trade the 1.6, 2.7 and the aquired 2007 1st to move up, and take Maroney at 1.4.

My second round picks were T Howard, K Clemens (homer pick), B Marshall, D Whitner. Later picks included L Washington, D Tapp, Gotkowski, M Robinson, Keiaho, D Thomas (NE TE), W Ried, D Abney, AJ Nicholson and Blue Adams.

In FA I also picked up Arrington, J Bullocks, D Smith, W Welker, O Gaither and Gocong. Aquired Hank Baskett and $8 for Bledsoe.

So, I have Kitna, Houston, Washington, M Clayton, Welker, and Crumpler on offense. Most of my rookies are on the DTS or cut, except T Howard. I should have a top 5 pick in the 2007 draft, and hope to get another RB there to go with Washington, Robinson and Maroney next year.

With $67 now in the bank, I am in the top third of league $ balances, and will most likely not bid on any more FA's this year. With no player to protect, I should be able to get a #1 WR and a #1 LB in RFA next year, before the draft. I may need to buy another QB as well. So, going into next season it should look like this:

Kitna

QB#2 (through RFA)

Maroney

L Washington

M Robinson

Top five rookie RB (maybe #1)

#1 WR (Through RFA)

M Clayton

B Marshall

W Welker

H Baskett

Crumpler

Thomas

Gotkowski

K#2 (RFA)

#1 LB (Through RFA)

T Howard

O Gaither

Barton

D Smith

2nd round rookie

D Tapp

Kerney

Ogunleye

Spears

Whitner

Bullocks

D Smith

K Kennedy

With some luck, might make the playoffs in 2007. I'll need more improvement at WR and LB. Still a work in progress, but a different strategy compared to the way my friend Keg went. For next year I have all my rookie picks, and an extra fourth rounder. It might take another year, 2008 by the time I can really compete, but that was the original plan. I've rid myself of players with short contracts also, which allows me to shop aggresively in RFA, instead of defending.

:thumbup: So, Bush rides the taxi all year helping you to a higher draft pick? :unsure:
A very large amount of the "Huddle" based IDP leagues are structured with DTS that work in this way ... you can collect young talent and keep them on the DTS during a rebuilding phase. The general attitude of all owners in these leagues is it is a legitimate stategy to not promote rookie talent until you 1) want to or 2) have to after three years, even if the rookie could help your squad in the present ... the reason being that you may want to wait to see how the rook pans out before assigning them a long contract.Variations of these leagues have been formed that have salary caps. A DTS players' salary is charged on the cap, even if you have not given him contract years that are charged against the contract cap ... however, a rook released from the DTS has no cap penalty, whereas a contracted player would result in a cap penalty if cut ... therefore even more people may keep rooks on the DTS because they dont want to give a high paid rook a long contract and then see them falter and have to cut them and take a big cap hit for several years in a row ...

A very large amount of the "Huddle" based IDP leagues are structured with DTS that work in this way ... you can collect young talent and keep them on the DTS during a rebuilding phase. The general attitude of all owners in these leagues is it is a legitimate stategy to not promote rookie talent until you 1) want to or 2) have to after three years, even if the rookie could help your squad in the present ... the reason being that you may want to wait to see how the rook pans out before assigning them a long contract.Variations of these leagues have been formed that have salary caps. A DTS players' salary is charged on the cap, even if you have not given him contract years that are charged against the contract cap ... however, a rook released from the DTS has no cap penalty, whereas a contracted player would result in a cap penalty if cut ... therefore even more people may keep rooks on the DTS because they dont want to give a high paid rook a long contract and then see them falter and have to cut them and take a big cap hit for several years in a row ...
Yes, I'm using the DTS the same way. The only reason I assigned contracts to L Washington and T Howard was because I simply didn't have any more space on the DTS. That's what happens when you stockpile picks the way I did. Next year I will assign contracts to most of my present DTS players. In a way, a newcomer might look at it as tanking, but it really isn't. It's an accepted way to rebuild a lousy team. Hey, I'm throwing $50 down the drain this year, and likely next year for the privledge of rebuilding this way. Imagine trying to rebuild the roster I inherited without a DTS to exploit? I never would have taken the team, and not many other people would either. These leagues have little trouble finding replacement owners because of how much easier it is to rebuild.

These leagues have little trouble finding replacement owners because of how much easier it is to rebuild.
It sounds like fun, but I have to admit the more I read my way down Keg's post, the more it gave me a headache. I don't know if I have the patience for such an approach, and I know I would have gone the opposite direction and fought for a playoff spot. I am new to dynasty formats this year (with 20 years of redrafts, 7 years of keepers and 11 years of IDPs behind me). So, his post really intrigued me. I have followed a few dynasty leagues in the past, but this year I own my first (Zealots 30). My team was orphaned each of the last two offseasons, but it was managed competently from what I can tell. I still had serious concerns to address. I used both a shotgun approach to the rookie draft and my redraft mindset do so, and it's worked out great so far (5-0). Maybe I'll chronicle that team in this thread too, though I have forgotten many of my moves already. :D One thing I've noticed, and one reason I avoided dynasty leagues for so long, is teams are more complacent. You got a 53 man roster, there's not much out there on waivers, it is what it is. In redrafts there's a lot more urgency and excitement, fresh hope and waiver wire races, all that stuff that makes the season a kick... is sort of lacking in these dynasties, imHo and from my little experience. I'm rambling. Back to Keg. Other than the 20-20 hindsight fixing his Maroney/Leinart booboo (and I cannot criticize him there because I was making the same mistakes, sort of), it looks to me like he has future troubles at RB. I cannot stand being in trouble at RB. I love Reggie down the road, but I don't like any of the notable RBs headed for RFA. Edge is aging and went to the desert to retire after some poor seasons, imo. Tiki and Ronde are both probably calling it quits after this or one more season. TJ, Barlow, Betts, Rhodes... I have major concerns for each next year and down the road. I don't like the way this is working out. After Peterson and Lynch, I am very unimpressed with 07 rookie RBs. Maybe it's all the redraft background, but I look right at RBs when judging teams and I focus on them when building my own. Keg? What is your plan at RB?

One thing I've noticed, and one reason I avoided dynasty leagues for so long, is teams are more complacent. You got a 53 man roster, there's not much out there on waivers, it is what it is. In redrafts there's a lot more urgency and excitement, fresh hope and waiver wire races, all that stuff makes that makes the season a kick... is sort of lacking in these dynasties in, imHo and from my little experience.
The teams that are complacent and aren't afraid to deal aggressively are the ones who finish 5-8 every year. The 53 man rosters are a little nutty -- puts more emphasis on the rookie draft and trading -- even if you're in a league full of solid owners that have a reasonable plan for their team.The dynasty leagues I gravitate towards are those that force roster crunches (smaller rosters, strict IR) to facilitate year round management. My dynasty leagues have 35-36 man rosters with three IDP positions and 16 starting spots or 41 man rosters with five IDP positions and 18 starting spots. Some have additional taxi, IR, cap, and contract rules to further increase the roster crunch. I routinely turn over 35-40% (or more) of my roster every season in these leagues by trade/draft/free agency/waivers.I'd be surprised if someone who's as into player development as you wouldn't end up loving the "right" dynasty setup to fit your ideals. Getting into a league with solid owners is the tough part. In my experience, it takes 3-4 years for a league to settle into the right mix -- weeding out the weak, un-informed, and over-their-head folks while replacing them with better owners. If your league can survive that period and has a good rulebook and commish, dynasty is the way to go IMO.

These leagues have little trouble finding replacement owners because of how much easier it is to rebuild.
It sounds like fun, but I have to admit the more I read my way down Keg's post, the more it gave me a headache. I don't know if I have the patience for such an approach, and I know I would have gone the opposite direction and fought for a playoff spot. I am new to dynasty formats this year (with 20 years of redrafts, 7 years of keepers and 11 years of IDPs behind me). So, his post really intrigued me. I have followed a few dynasty leagues in the past, but this year I own my first (Zealots 30). My team was orphaned each of the last two offseasons, but it was managed competently from what I can tell. I still had serious concerns to address. I used both a shotgun approach to the rookie draft and my redraft mindset do so, and it's worked out great so far (5-0). Maybe I'll chronicle that team in this thread too, though I have forgotten many of my moves already. :D One thing I've noticed, and one reason I avoided dynasty leagues for so long, is teams are more complacent. You got a 53 man roster, there's not much out there on waivers, it is what it is. In redrafts there's a lot more urgency and excitement, fresh hope and waiver wire races, all that stuff that makes the season a kick... is sort of lacking in these dynasties, imHo and from my little experience. I'm rambling. Back to Keg. Other than the 20-20 hindsight fixing his Maroney/Leinart booboo (and I cannot criticize him there because I was making the same mistakes, sort of), it looks to me like he has future troubles at RB. I cannot stand being in trouble at RB. I love Reggie down the road, but I don't like any of the notable RBs headed for RFA. Edge is aging and went to the desert to retire after some poor seasons, imo. Tiki and Ronde are both probably calling it quits after this or one more season. TJ, Barlow, Betts, Rhodes... I have major concerns for each next year and down the road. I don't like the way this is working out. After Peterson and Lynch, I am very unimpressed with 07 rookie RBs. Maybe it's all the redraft background, but I look right at RBs when judging teams and I focus on them when building my own. Keg? What is your plan at RB?
in all honesty i will most likely end up with 1.1 or 1.2, yeah crazier things have happened but I think I will land either AP or Lynch and hopefully they both end up in good situations. If they dont or for some crazy reason I dont land a RB in the rook draft then I will most likely look to run 1RB, 4WR sets...I think there are enough WRs avail in RFA for me to do that(as long as i spend my money wisely)...again looking at the deal to move from 1.7 to 1.4 back to 1.6...i really never had a shot to draft maroney because I think that what I paid to move up to 1.4 was just to much, but i was able to recoup that cost by moving back to 1.6...in hindsight my error was in passing on Leinart for Hawk...yep that was a pretty bad mistake, that will only be compounded if I dont aquire a starting QB in RFA next yr

One thing I've noticed, and one reason I avoided dynasty leagues for so long, is teams are more complacent. You got a 53 man roster, there's not much out there on waivers, it is what it is. In redrafts there's a lot more urgency and excitement, fresh hope and waiver wire races, all that stuff makes that makes the season a kick... is sort of lacking in these dynasties in, imHo and from my little experience.
The teams that are complacent and aren't afraid to deal aggressively are the ones who finish 5-8 every year. The 53 man rosters are a little nutty -- puts more emphasis on the rookie draft and trading -- even if you're in a league full of solid owners that have a reasonable plan for their team.The dynasty leagues I gravitate towards are those that force roster crunches (smaller rosters, strict IR) to facilitate year round management. My dynasty leagues have 35-36 man rosters with three IDP positions and 16 starting spots or 41 man rosters with five IDP positions and 18 starting spots. Some have additional taxi, IR, cap, and contract rules to further increase the roster crunch. I routinely turn over 35-40% (or more) of my roster every season in these leagues by trade/draft/free agency/waivers.I'd be surprised if someone who's as into player development as you wouldn't end up loving the "right" dynasty setup to fit your ideals. Getting into a league with solid owners is the tough part. In my experience, it takes 3-4 years for a league to settle into the right mix -- weeding out the weak, un-informed, and over-their-head folks while replacing them with better owners. If your league can survive that period and has a good rulebook and commish, dynasty is the way to go IMO.
with regards to our IR, a player can only go on IR if they are placed on IR by their NFL team and we only get 3 IR spots(we do re-coup a salary cap year when we put someone on IR)getting solid owners is the key...in this league that was started in 2003 we have only had one owner leave and that was going into this yr. I would also say that everyone in this league is at the very least a solid owner

I don't agree that these Huddle leagues (some of them are actually 8 Huddle members vs, 8 FBG's members) don't require year round activity. My 2 leagues have 39 man rosters, and a DTS of 11, the second has a 40 man roster and a DTS of 12. In fact, I think it requires even more preparation and research. It also takes a little more risk management.

I picked up both J Bullocks and D Smith in blind bid waiver moves this year on the team I talked about above. I got them because I was following the N.O. situation closely, and before the dust had settled, took a gamble on both of them before the situation became less murky. Barring some injuries on Minny, Smith may have been a waste. A calculated risk, but he wasn't expensive and worth a gamble that worked out well so far. In my second league, I was able to get B Thomas on waivers because I gambled that he would remain listed as a DE, keeping his value.

So, there is value on the waiver wire, but it takes more work to know which players to go after and when. Keep in mind most of these leagues start 8 IDP and 8 offensive players. Trades happen often, and even studs can be had if you play it smart. I was holding Roths, A Smith and T Green.... when Warner got benched, I found a desperate owner, and traded Green and Mush for Crowell. I also picked up Welker pretty cheap. you can definitely work the waiver wire... but diamonds are harder to find.

These are no doubt year round leagues. I agree there is more importance placed on having good rookie drafts, and the RFA season is nuts for a solid month, but if you go to sleep in these leagues, you have no chance. These are definitely year round leagues.

I also think Keg should have taken Maroney.... I did the exact opposite.... I traded up from 1.6 to 1.4 to land Maroney, while he traded down. RB's are impossible to get in those leagues. To pass on a possible feature back, even if getting the pick cost alot is the right move IMO... FF success still rides on solid RB's, IMO.

in all honesty i will most likely end up with 1.1 or 1.2, yeah crazier things have happened but I think I will land either AP or Lynch and hopefully they both end up in good situations. If they dont or for some crazy reason I dont land a RB in the rook draft then I will most likely look to run 1RB, 4WR sets...I think there are enough WRs avail in RFA for me to do that(as long as i spend my money wisely)...again looking at the deal to move from 1.7 to 1.4 back to 1.6...i really never had a shot to draft maroney because I think that what I paid to move up to 1.4 was just to much, but i was able to recoup that cost by moving back to 1.6...in hindsight my error was in passing on Leinart for Hawk...yep that was a pretty bad mistake, that will only be compounded if I dont aquire a starting QB in RFA next yr
Sounds like a reasonable plan. If you land Peterson, he and Bush are going to be gold NEXT year. Lynch depends on opportunity, but he is a better back than Maroney. I am fascinated. If you don't update us, I'll be bumping this thread in May of 07. :)

I don't agree that these Huddle leagues (some of them are actually 8 Huddle members vs, 8 FBG's members) don't require year round activity. My 2 leagues have 39 man rosters, and a DTS of 11, the second has a 40 man roster and a DTS of 12. In fact, I think it requires even more preparation and research. It also takes a little more risk management. I picked up both J Bullocks and D Smith in blind bid waiver moves this year on the team I talked about above. I got them because I was following the N.O. situation closely, and before the dust had settled, took a gamble on both of them before the situation became less murky. Barring some injuries on Minny, Smith may have been a waste. A calculated risk, but he wasn't expensive and worth a gamble that worked out well so far. In my second league, I was able to get B Thomas on waivers because I gambled that he would remain listed as a DE, keeping his value. So, there is value on the waiver wire, but it takes more work to know which players to go after and when. Keep in mind most of these leagues start 8 IDP and 8 offensive players. Trades happen often, and even studs can be had if you play it smart. I was holding Roths, A Smith and T Green.... when Warner got benched, I found a desperate owner, and traded Green and Mush for Crowell. I also picked up Welker pretty cheap. you can definitely work the waiver wire... but diamonds are harder to find. These are no doubt year round leagues. I agree there is more importance placed on having good rookie drafts, and the RFA season is nuts for a solid month, but if you go to sleep in these leagues, you have no chance. These are definitely year round leagues. I also think Keg should have taken Maroney.... I did the exact opposite.... I traded up from 1.6 to 1.4 to land Maroney, while he traded down. RB's are impossible to get in those leagues. To pass on a possible feature back, even if getting the pick cost alot is the right move IMO... FF success still rides on solid RB's, IMO.
No question -- any good dynasty league requires year-round management. There's value on every waiver wire. If you can find a Josh Bullocks on the waiver in a 16 team league with 52 man rosters, good on you mate. Usually, though, the value on those waiver wires is going to be in who's astute enough to put themselves in position to hit on a deep flyer pick. It definitely takes good year round management to succeed in that situation. But, as you said yourself in the waiver wire thread earlier in the week, any backup with a chance at success is already rostered by mid-season.My point was that smaller rosters foster more waiver wire activity. That seemed to be what CC was looking for and enjoyed about his redraft setups. Wasn't meaning to knock deep developmental leagues. They are solid dynasty setups, too.

I really think that expanded IDP is the way to go ... starting 8off/8def in a 16 team format means picking up a gem like Gerald Hayes or whiffing on Dan Morgan can be a crushing blow ... Someone is routinely starting a LB sitting at 50-60 in scoring whether they like it or not ... I dont like shallow IDP because there are too many waiver players out there that can save your bacon. In these leagues we play in, every move is crucial. Trends must be guessed and anticipated. The trading is hot and heavy. Adding a salary cap just makes everything explode!

For example, in one league where I have been struggling to rebuild I will go from a 2005 typical starting lineup of:

Vick, Michael ATL QB

Anderson, Mike BAL RB/Barlow, Kevan SFO RB/Jones, Thomas CHI RB

Edwards, Braylon CLE WR/Moss, Santana WAS WR

Heap, Todd BAL TE

Graham, Shayne CIN PK

Coleman, Rod ATL DT/Ogunleye, Adewale CHI DE

Bockwoldt, Colby NOS LB/Polk, Dashon HOU LB/Tinoisamoa, Pisa STL LB

McCutcheon, Daylon CLE CB/Cooper, Deke MIA S/Knight, Sammy KCC S

to a 2006 typical starting lineup of:

Brees, Drew NOS QB/Favre, Brett GBP QB

Green, Ahman GBP RB/Maroney, Laurence NEP RB/Taylor, Fred JAC RB

Bryant, Antonio SFO WR/Moss, Santana WAS WR

Winslow, Kellen CLE TE

Graham, Shayne CIN PK

Little, Leonard STL DE/Ogunleye, Adewale CHI DE

Barton, Eric NYJ LB/Ryans, DeMeco HOU LB/Ware, Demarcus DAL LB

Bodden, Leigh CLE CB/Bullocks, Josh NOS S/Manuel, Marquand GBP S

That is a lot of turnover ...

In my 3rd year of a 40 man roster start 8 & 8 dynasty league with a 10 man DTS - I do not have a single player that I drafted in the initial draft. (this was my first experience with a dynasty with IDP and with contracts sort of league) I find it hard to believe but I have had a complete turnover. I believe I have a better team now than I did then but as usual injuries etc have played a huge roll in making me

a 1-4 team so far this year. But it is a challenge with contracts and roster space to even try and pick up F/A's during the season. You also have to blind bid on them and you need your league money to buy or protect RFA during the off season and you only get 50 bucks after RFA. It is a year round project - at least for me to keep track of my team and my contracts and trade players at the right time and try to catch a good player in the off season from another team before they hit the big splash during the regular season. There is also a time to buy and sell in this league that has taken me 3 years to figure out. I'm trying to trade during the summer - people don't want to trade until right before the season starts and you have to assign contracts to your rookie picks and free agents - that is when most of the trading happens. You can play the waiver wire roulette during the summer but you are taking chances without seeing players play and can spend alot of league money without realizing it.

I will be interested to see how everyones rebuilding goes! I have also this year taken over an orphan Zealot team Z36 and a dynasty without contracts that was dead last last year - major rebuilding project and so far 2-3. The interest level in dynasty/IDP getting more intense each year as more and more owners are finding it the way to go.

Edited to add - I do have one original player Todd Heap!

I really think that expanded IDP is the way to go ... starting 8off/8def in a 16 team format means picking up a gem like Gerald Hayes or whiffing on Dan Morgan can be a crushing blow ... Someone is routinely starting a LB sitting at 50-60 in scoring whether they like it or not ... I dont like shallow IDP because there are too many waiver players out there that can save your bacon. In these leagues we play in, every move is crucial. Trends must be guessed and anticipated. The trading is hot and heavy. Adding a salary cap just makes everything explode!
Those players are on the waiver wire because someone didn't have the space to roster them. Moves in shallower leagues are crucial, too. Can you drop Bob Sanders or Dan Morgan to pick up a lesser talent in a better situation who may not be worth diddly next year? Should you handcuff your RB2 or carry a 4th DE like Trent Cole? You better be anticipating trends in those leagues, too -- your competition will be.You guys sound like you're in very good larger leagues. That's really the key. If you didn't have owners willing to trade a decent player, you'd be hamstrung some years even if you'd put together a solid roster at camp's end.

I really think that expanded IDP is the way to go ... starting 8off/8def in a 16 team format means picking up a gem like Gerald Hayes or whiffing on Dan Morgan can be a crushing blow ... Someone is routinely starting a LB sitting at 50-60 in scoring whether they like it or not ... I dont like shallow IDP because there are too many waiver players out there that can save your bacon. In these leagues we play in, every move is crucial. Trends must be guessed and anticipated. The trading is hot and heavy. Adding a salary cap just makes everything explode!For example, in one league where I have been struggling to rebuild I will go from a 2005 typical starting lineup of:Vick, Michael ATL QBAnderson, Mike BAL RB/Barlow, Kevan SFO RB/Jones, Thomas CHI RBEdwards, Braylon CLE WR/Moss, Santana WAS WRHeap, Todd BAL TEGraham, Shayne CIN PKColeman, Rod ATL DT/Ogunleye, Adewale CHI DEBockwoldt, Colby NOS LB/Polk, Dashon HOU LB/Tinoisamoa, Pisa STL LBMcCutcheon, Daylon CLE CB/Cooper, Deke MIA S/Knight, Sammy KCC Sto a 2006 typical starting lineup of:Brees, Drew NOS QB/Favre, Brett GBP QBGreen, Ahman GBP RB/Maroney, Laurence NEP RB/Taylor, Fred JAC RBBryant, Antonio SFO WR/Moss, Santana WAS WRWinslow, Kellen CLE TEGraham, Shayne CIN PK Little, Leonard STL DE/Ogunleye, Adewale CHI DEBarton, Eric NYJ LB/Ryans, DeMeco HOU LB/Ware, Demarcus DAL LBBodden, Leigh CLE CB/Bullocks, Josh NOS S/Manuel, Marquand GBP SThat is a lot of turnover ...
B, that's GMX, right? I'm not sure you could call that a dynasty league! That's nuts.... over the top even for me. You've got what, 3 players from last year? To each his own! Rebuilding, or chaos? LOL! It sure would be interesting to see you write up that team the way Keg did his, but i don't think you could fit it all in 3 seperate posts, even if you COULD rememebr what the heck happened from last year to this! :loco:

B, that's GMX, right? I'm not sure you could call that a dynasty league! That's nuts.... over the top even for me. You've got what, 3 players from last year? To each his own! Rebuilding, or chaos? LOL! It sure would be interesting to see you write up that team the way Keg did his, but i don't think you could fit it all in 3 seperate posts, even if you COULD rememebr what the heck happened from last year to this! :loco:
Yeah, thats GMX. As you know, last year was my first for IDP and I engaged in some really, really bad drafting from the D side of the ball. And as 2005 closed it was obvious that several of my O starters may have issues. I started to blow it up, but then realized that I could pick up some key vets (Farve, Green, Taylor) on the cheap to add to my youngsters and still have a shot at competing in 2006 ...FYI to everyone, GMX is complicated by the fact that when you "blow your team up", you take salary hits as to the cut players ...

I am still in a great position in that league, because although my starting lineup is only average ... I have a kicking DTS as follows and a good string of picks for 2007 (4 high seconds and two high thirds but no first):

Smith, Alex SFO QB

Walter, Andrew OAK QB

Chris Taylor, RB Hou

Jones, Greg JAC RB

Colston, Marques NOS WR

Hurd, Sam DAL WR

White, Roddy ATL WR

Williams, Demetrius BAL WR

Klopfenstein, Joe STL TE

Hawk, A.J. GBP LB

Lawson, Manny SFO LB

Tulloch, Stephen TEN LB

Pool, Brodney CLE S

I could not begin to "write the book" on this team like Keg did ... hell, I would be too embarassed to ...

:bag:

Yeah, thats GMX. As you know, last year was my first for IDP and I engaged in some really, really bad drafting from the D side of the ball. And as 2005 closed it was obvious that several of my O starters may have issues. I started to blow it up, but then realized that I could pick up some key vets (Farve, Green, Taylor) on the cheap to add to my youngsters and still have a shot at competing in 2006 ...FYI to everyone, GMX is complicated by the fact that when you "blow your team up", you take salary hits as to the cut players ...

I am still in a great position in that league, because although my starting lineup is only average ... I have a kicking DTS as follows and a good string of picks for 2007 (4 high seconds and two high thirds but no first):

Smith, Alex SFO QB

Walter, Andrew OAK QB

Chris Taylor, RB Hou

Jones, Greg JAC RB

Colston, Marques NOS WR

Hurd, Sam DAL WR

White, Roddy ATL WR

Klopfenstein, Joe STL TE

Hawk, A.J. GBP LB

Lawson, Manny SFO LB

Tulloch, Stephen TEN LB

Pool, Brodney CLE S

I could not begin to "write the book" on this team like Keg did ... hell, I would be too embarassed to ...

GMX is an entirely different beast and if my guys perform like they should I will have to blow my team up because i wont be able to afford all their salariesGMX if anyone wants to look

IMO... FF success still rides on solid RB's, IMO.
Sort of my chronicle:I inherited Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee, and Fred Taylor. After Darrell Jackson, I rightfully hated my WRs, Jerry Porter and Randle El and garbage. I had 1.04. Maroney fell that far. I traded down for 1.11, 2.11, 3.11, 4.11 and 6.11. My targets were Norwood, Calhoun, Harrison, Jennings, Marshall, Washington, Scheffler (using the other .04s in each round also). I didn't want Maroney, who I was negative on, more than I wanted several shots at fixing my WRs, backing up my RBs and landing my TE. I missed on Harrison and Marshall. For Maroney, I got Norwood, Jennings, and Scheffler. Not bad considering my RBs and needs elsewhere.With the .04s, I got Calhoun and Washington. With them and Norwood, I think I have replaced Freddy when the time comes and McGahee and LJ have backup-- I hope. I'll be angling hard for 1.1 or 1.2 next year. The key addition from the draft for this season has been Jennings. I drafted some other WRs who haven't worked out (yet hopefully), but I found free agency gold way back in March (Bernard Berrian), and was a little ahead of the curve on Colston this August. My biggest weakness, WR, has been my biggest strength so far. I think a turnaround like mine at WR is almost always possible, thus I just can't place big value on elite WRs. I think it is possible to turn things around at RB, but very unlikely, and I want to be stockpiled for rainy days. This is what I refer to as my "redraft" mindset. Don't worry much about QBs (started Huard, ASmith and JP Losman this year already), WRs are a dime a dozen (Berrian, Colston), soildify my RBs (the tough part), my defense (why I hang out here), and stay on my toes for value every round and every week. EBF, who I have tons of respect for, takes a totally different approach. He sees QBs and WRs with their longer shelf-lives boosted in dynasty value. Maybe I'll learn the hard way, but for now, I disagree.

In my 3rd year of a 40 man roster start 8 & 8 dynasty league with a 10 man DTS - I do not have a single player that I drafted in the initial draft. (this was my first experience with a dynasty with IDP and with contracts sort of league) I find it hard to believe but I have had a complete turnover. I believe I have a better team now than I did then but as usual injuries etc have played a huge roll in making me a 1-4 team so far this year. But it is a challenge with contracts and roster space to even try and pick up F/A's during the season. You also have to blind bid on them and you need your league money to buy or protect RFA during the off season and you only get 50 bucks after RFA. It is a year round project - at least for me to keep track of my team and my contracts and trade players at the right time and try to catch a good player in the off season from another team before they hit the big splash during the regular season. There is also a time to buy and sell in this league that has taken me 3 years to figure out. I'm trying to trade during the summer - people don't want to trade until right before the season starts and you have to assign contracts to your rookie picks and free agents - that is when most of the trading happens. You can play the waiver wire roulette during the summer but you are taking chances without seeing players play and can spend alot of league money without realizing it. I will be interested to see how everyones rebuilding goes! I have also this year taken over an orphan Zealot team Z36 and a dynasty without contracts that was dead last last year - major rebuilding project and so far 2-3. The interest level in dynasty/IDP getting more intense each year as more and more owners are finding it the way to go.Edited to add - I do have one original player Todd Heap!
I am only in my third full year of IDP and dynasty play. All orphans. I would have completey butchered an original dynasty draft in a new IDP league, the way B'mont says he did if that is what I started off with. To enter IDP and dynasty as a rokie owner... VERY few people would do well. I was told it takes a year to get good at IDP ownership, and I now agree. That first year I took some lumps. If I did my own startup draft, I'd be in your shoes now too, Pretender. The decision to rebuild is sometimes a tough one.... other times it's the only option. As to what strategy works best really depends on the league. How the DTS works, roster sizes, league FA $, and salary caps. Keg had enough chips on his roster to parlay into a sizable treasury of league $ to rebuild primarilly through the RFA bidding process. He could have made the decision to try and band aid that roster, but bit the bullet, and comitted to a rebuild. My team clearly had to be rebuilt, and without the players to bankroll a solid treasury, the Draft as the primary method seemed my only option. Kegs appraoch is faster.... it's a one year plan. To do it through the draft is at least a 2 year plan. But again, this is different than the GMX league, which is pretty unique. Great thread there, Kegger! :thumbup:

EBF, who I have tons of respect for, takes a totally different approach. He sees QBs and WRs with their longer shelf-lives boosted in dynasty value. Maybe I'll learn the hard way, but for now, I disagree.
I love where this discussion is headed.This is all relative. In PPR leagues and systems that value QBs highly, stud QB and WR are killer commodities. But nobody wants them. Vince Young falling into the second round in many rookie drafts. Leinart going after Maurice Drew and Jerious Norwood. I see people trying to dump Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt all the time in these leagues or refuse them altogether in trade because they're too old. Same goes for stud QBs. Meanwhile, they'll fall all over themselves to get Mike Bell or Wali Lundy.

I think you move hard when you identify a player you think can be a stud for many, many years -- but regardless of position. It may be to move up and get Carson Palmer or Larry Fitzgerald or pay for a guy like Philip Rivers in trade. It may be to take a guy like Greg Jennings a round early. Same goes on the defensive end.

I'm a big believer in get freakish stud talent as often as possible, cost be damned at times. You win with studs. You'll hardly ever make a quality for quantity trade when giving up the established stud -- why do it during the draft unless your team has gone horribly, horribly bad. Even then, I really want the anchor.

IMO... FF success still rides on solid RB's, IMO.
Sort of my chronicle:I inherited Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee, and Fred Taylor. After Darrell Jackson, I rightfully hated my WRs, Jerry Porter and Randle El and garbage. I had 1.04. Maroney fell that far. I traded down for 1.11, 2.11, 3.11, 4.11 and 6.11. My targets were Norwood, Calhoun, Harrison, Jennings, Marshall, Washington, Scheffler (using the other .04s in each round also). I didn't want Maroney, who I was negative on, more than I wanted several shots at fixing my WRs, backing up my RBs and landing my TE. I missed on Harrison and Marshall. For Maroney, I got Norwood, Jennings, and Scheffler. Not bad considering my RBs and needs elsewhere.With the .04s, I got Calhoun and Washington. With them and Norwood, I think I have replaced Freddy when the time comes and McGahee and LJ have backup-- I hope. I'll be angling hard for 1.1 or 1.2 next year. The key addition from the draft for this season has been Jennings. I drafted some other WRs who haven't worked out (yet hopefully), but I found free agency gold way back in March (Bernard Berrian), and was a little ahead of the curve on Colston this August. My biggest weakness, WR, has been my biggest strength so far. I think a turnaround like mine at WR is almost always possible, thus I just can't place big value on elite WRs. I think it is possible to turn things around at RB, but very unlikely, and I want to be stockpiled for rainy days. This is what I refer to as my "redraft" mindset. Don't worry much about QBs (started Huard, ASmith and JP Losman this year already), WRs are a dime a dozen (Berrian, Colston), soildify my RBs (the tough part), my defense (why I hang out here), and stay on my toes for value every round and every week. EBF, who I have tons of respect for, takes a totally different approach. He sees QBs and WRs with their longer shelf-lives boosted in dynasty value. Maybe I'll learn the hard way, but for now, I disagree.
I can understand that strategy in letting Maroney go for picks... you were set at RB. This wasn't a rebuild, it was a large tweak. Jennings has surprised me, and getting Berrian was brilliant. I don't agree that it's easy to fill a roster with 4 viable WR's, of course depending on league size. In a 12 team league... i agree, in a 16 team league, having 4 good WR's is tough to do. Because of byes for F Taylor and C Taylor this week, I'm starting J Lewis, Evans, DJax, Furrey and M Clayton. I usually start the 3 RB's. But, as I mentioned, I also had Mush, and traded him and T Green for a stud LB I really needed. That was easilly the deepest WR corp in that league before that trade. (I also have gabriel on a bye). Locking up two top ten WR's if you can do it is smart IMO. I do agree on the QB's.... as long as I have two starters that won't get benched (A Smith and Roths) I don't worry about that position either. in offense only leagues, completely different story, but not in IDP dynasties.

In my 3rd year of a 40 man roster start 8 & 8 dynasty league with a 10 man DTS - I do not have a single player that I drafted in the initial draft. (this was my first experience with a dynasty with IDP and with contracts sort of league) I find it hard to believe but I have had a complete turnover. I believe I have a better team now than I did then but as usual injuries etc have played a huge roll in making me

a 1-4 team so far this year. But it is a challenge with contracts and roster space to even try and pick up F/A's during the season. You also have to blind bid on them and you need your league money to buy or protect RFA during the off season and you only get 50 bucks after RFA. It is a year round project - at least for me to keep track of my team and my contracts and trade players at the right time and try to catch a good player in the off season from another team before they hit the big splash during the regular season. There is also a time to buy and sell in this league that has taken me 3 years to figure out. I'm trying to trade during the summer - people don't want to trade until right before the season starts and you have to assign contracts to your rookie picks and free agents - that is when most of the trading happens. You can play the waiver wire roulette during the summer but you are taking chances without seeing players play and can spend alot of league money without realizing it.

I will be interested to see how everyones rebuilding goes! I have also this year taken over an orphan Zealot team Z36 and a dynasty without contracts that was dead last last year - major rebuilding project and so far 2-3. The interest level in dynasty/IDP getting more intense each year as more and more owners are finding it the way to go.

Edited to add - I do have one original player Todd Heap!
I am only in my third full year of IDP and dynasty play. All orphans. I would have completey butchered an original dynasty draft in a new IDP league, the way B'mont says he did if that is what I started off with. To enter IDP and dynasty as a rokie owner... VERY few people would do well. I was told it takes a year to get good at IDP ownership, and I now agree. That first year I took some lumps. If I did my own startup draft, I'd be in your shoes now too, Pretender. The decision to rebuild is sometimes a tough one.... other times it's the only option. As to what strategy works best really depends on the league. How the DTS works, roster sizes, league FA $, and salary caps.

Keg had enough chips on his roster to parlay into a sizable treasury of league $ to rebuild primarilly through the RFA bidding process. He could have made the decision to try and band aid that roster, but bit the bullet, and comitted to a rebuild.

My team clearly had to be rebuilt, and without the players to bankroll a solid treasury, the Draft as the primary method seemed my only option. Kegs appraoch is faster.... it's a one year plan. To do it through the draft is at least a 2 year plan. But again, this is different than the GMX league, which is pretty unique.

Great thread there, Kegger! :thumbup:
That is truly most of the reason for tearing the team apart. Simply an atrocious IDP portion of the draft and pretty decent offensive players - but ended up tradeing them to get better defensive players, better draft picks, more draft picks. Most of my rebuilding in this particular league has been from the draft and as Rovers has said it is a longer rebuilding process. I have made some stupid mistakes along the way - but hopefully I have learned from them and continue to learn and yes it takes many years to become adept at dynasty/IDP and if you throw in salary cap or contract caps - the learning curve becomes even steeper. There are all pretty smart owners in this one league and you have to be one step ahead at all times. I know that I've gotten great advice and strategy from this forum. It is by far the best I've ever seen and why I hang out here almost exclusively. I have found that I sometimes ignore the offensive side of the ball and that can get me into trouble as well. But I have discovered that I do enjoy tearing apart a team and rebuilding it almost more than drafting a startup team. Drafting one is nice to see if you can put into practice what you have learned but to take a team and rebuild it and make your own is in itself very gratifying - providing you can win with it. LOL. I find it easier albiet longer to rebuild through drafting and trading then to try and rebuild through RFA. But to each their own and this is a great thread!

Smith, Alex SFO QB

Walter, Andrew OAK QB

Chris Taylor, RB Hou

Jones, Greg JAC RB

Colston, Marques NOS WR

Hurd, Sam DAL WR

White, Roddy ATL WR

Klopfenstein, Joe STL TE

Hawk, A.J. GBP LB

Lawson, Manny SFO LB

Tulloch, Stephen TEN LB

Pool, Brodney CLE S

GMX is an entirely different beast and if my guys perform like they should I will have to blow my team up because i wont be able to afford all their salariesGMX if anyone wants to look
Looks like a good league, and your team looks good, but I'd have to say the Demons appear to be the cream of the crop.

I will have to update my OP later but this is my latest deal:

Trade #28

Keg gives:

Kellen Winslow(8),

Kiwanuka(4) &

Shaun Williams(2)

Team Clinton gives:

Carnell Williams(5)

Courtney Anderson(2)

Ryan Pickett(1)

Stephen Cooper(3)

Matt Wilhelm(3)

Michael Lewis(4)

remember parenthesis are contract years and TEs get 1pt/recp and all others get .5/recp

will add my thought process on this deal later too

OP updated with End of Season Roster and final Draft Position for 2007 Rook Draft:

2006 End of Season Roster:

CSimms(4),SWallace(2),Nall(3),McMahon(1)

Caddy(5),JJArington(5), Fargas(2),KFaulk(1),Pass(1),ShaudWilliams(1)

SinoriceMoss(6),RandelEl(1),CWilson(1)CMoore(1),RGardner(1),ADavis(1),AChatman(1

CourtneyAnderson(2)

Kaeding(3),Scobee(4)

JaredAllen(2),Stoud(2),Pickett(1)

CGreenway(5)SCooper(3),Wilhelm(3),CalebMiller(1),Ulbrich(2),Bockwoldt(3),Popping

(1),LArrington(2)

SeanTaylor(8),JBullocks(3),MichaelLewis(4),CedricGriffin(3),Demps(2),Surtain(1)

DTS:

Jason Campbell, KClemens, BCroyle

REGGIE BUSH

Vincent Jackson, DHagan, Dem.Williams,JWebb

THoward, OGaither, Abdul Hodge, JamarWilliams

UPDATES:

12/12/06 My team finished tied with another team at 2-11

but due to having scored fewer points I will draft 1.1

12/12/06: Current Cash Level $201(23%) of $870

Thoughts:

QB:

I feel much better about at least having a starting QB next yr in Jason Campbell(I think he has earned the FT Gig next yr)...but I will also most likely go hard after Drew Brees in RFA

RB:

Bush while not showing much ability to run btwn the tackles is ranked as the #8 RB in this league after week 14 so he will be a viable starter for my squad next year. Hopefully Caddy is able to bounce back next year and be a serviceable #2 RB with #1 upside. 1.1 is most likely going to be Adrian Peterson but there is still a ton that could happen btwn now and the draft. However, whats not to like about a young starting backfield of: Reggie Bush, Carnell Williams & Adrian Peterson in a dynasty league?

WR:

If I am able to run out 3 RBs then I will only need to mine 2 starters at WR and with Chad Johnson and Boldin both avail in RFA I am going to be targeting one if not both of them(the boldin owner does have the 3rd most cash though)...and I still like the prospects of Vjax and DHagan too...would like to see Sinorice show something over the last few weeks too but WR should be an area I can improve greatly for next year.

K: got 2 good ones that are both young

DL: Jared Allen will be the anchor but after that I will be fishing in the rook draft and RFA for a 2nd viable starter.

LB: I like the prospects I have in Wilhelm/Cooper if/when Edwards leaves SD...and Thomas Howard posted double digit scoring every week but one in my scoring system and then there is gaither who is starting to show his value in philly and hodge who will hopefully get a shot to play MLB in GB next yr. Couple that with the likes of Bullock, Witherspoon, Briggs, Thomas, Peterson, Flethcer-Baker, June all being RFA I should be able to assemble a very good LBing crew.

DB:Sean Taylor and that stupid 8 yr contract I gave him is at least starting to pay off(ranked #13 thru 14 weeks), Cedric Griffin seems like he is going to be a player too and JBullocks has shown flashes but considering that DB is always so deep and avail via waivers I dont really have any major concerns for DB going forward.

My wish list for our RFA period in April:

1QB(Brees)

1-2WR(hopefully one of CJ or Boldin)

1DL

2-LBs(any combo of these guys would be great: Bullock, Spoon, Briggs,Peterson, June,Fletcher-Baker)

Now just to enjoy the rest of the NFL season and wait for the trading period to open back up after the Super Bowl.

I have updated the OP with my 1st trade of 2007 as well as what my team looked like going into this year along with draft picks, cash avail etc...

here is the 1st deal:

Trade 1 of 2007: 2/28/07

Boston Tea Party trade rights to CJ

Keg Trades $5, 3.15 pick 2007, 6.11 pick 2007

Thoughts: A pretty steep price to pay for CJs rights when I could just bid on him but to me its an insurance premium to make sure he ends up on my squad...now to figure out if he will get higher bids to drain my money or will he get fewer bids because of my money...my odds are on people trying to drain me.

Keg said:
Boston Tea Party trade rights to CJ

Keg Trades $5, 3.15 pick 2007, 6.11 pick 2007

Thoughts: A pretty steep price to pay for CJs rights when I could just bid on him but to me its an insurance premium to make sure he ends up on my squad...now to figure out if he will get higher bids to drain my money or will he get fewer bids because of my money...my odds are on people trying to drain me.
You'll be suprise. Just act nonchalant about rather or not CJ stays on your team or not. The other owners may feel that it's a waste of energy to try and get CJ because of the mula that you have.

I'm rambling. Back to Keg. Other than the 20-20 hindsight fixing his Maroney/Leinart booboo (and I cannot criticize him there because I was making the same mistakes, sort of), it looks to me like he has future troubles at RB. I cannot stand being in trouble at RB. I love Reggie down the road, but I don't like any of the notable RBs headed for RFA. Edge is aging and went to the desert to retire after some poor seasons, imo. Tiki and Ronde are both probably calling it quits after this or one more season. TJ, Barlow, Betts, Rhodes... I have major concerns for each next year and down the road. I don't like the way this is working out. After Peterson and Lynch, I am very unimpressed with 07 rookie RBs. Maybe it's all the redraft background, but I look right at RBs when judging teams and I focus on them when building my own. Keg? What is your plan at RB?
not sure if you seen any of my updates but I was able to acquire Caddy and I do now own 1.1I know that there are some concerns about caddy and his back but honestly I think it was more the Tampa OL then anything else but only time will tell...a backfield of Bush/Peterson/Caddy is pretty nice in a PPR dynasty league were you can 1-3RBsRFA is just around the corner(4/1) and I cant wait to see how that shakes out...oh and I forgot to add that Henry is an RFA this yr too...last yr when i wrote this thread he wasnt a RB i considered of any consequence funny what a year can change

RFA starts on Monday and i just pulled off the following deal...monday is when the fun really starts

Trade 2 of 07 3/29/07

TEAM R gave up $10

Team Cracker gave up Rights to Drew Brees

I did not want to pay $10 just for the rights to Brees but was left with little alternative as the Brees owner was also the owner of the following RFAs: Brees/Henry/Betts/Fragile/Shockey/Bullock/Spoon. My plan was to place bids on Spoon, Betts Henry and Fragile in order to drain his cash($55) but he went and traded Henry and Bullocks to the guy with the 2nd most cash meaning he would be able to better protect Brees/Shockey and Spoon...I need a solid option at QB so I felt I had to make the move. Now to see what he ends up costing me to keep in RFA(starts 4/2)

How do you determine with whom the free agents sign? Does every team submit one bid for each free agent that they want and the highest bid gets that player? Does RFA work this way too, with the team who has the rights to that player get a chance to match it?

How do you determine with whom the free agents sign? Does every team submit one bid for each free agent that they want and the highest bid gets that player? Does RFA work this way too, with the team who has the rights to that player get a chance to match it?
RFA become available every April when their assigned contract in years runs out. Bidding is open and public. Once 24 hours passes since the LAST bid, the bidding is closed and owners have the right to match the high bid and retain the player, and assign him a new contract, or choose to let him go to the high bidder (all in league bucks, not cash) . FA's are blind bids and occurs at various points including weekly during the season. No, I'm not in this particular league with Keg, but I am in another with him, and the rules are similar.

rover is correct and left one small thing out is that you can also trade an RFA at any time...so even if one of your RFAs has a bid of say $20 and you only have $5 you can trade him to someone else for some form of compensation...sometimes owners decide that something is better then nothing...and sometimes there arent any other buyers.

RFA become available every April when their assigned contract in years runs out. Bidding is open and public. Once 24 hours passes since the LAST bid, the bidding is closed and owners have the right to match the high bid and retain the player, and assign him a new contract, or choose to let him go to the high bidder (all in league bucks, not cash) . FA's are blind bids and occurs at various points including weekly during the season. No, I'm not in this particular league with Keg, but I am in another with him, and the rules are similar.
What determines this new contract?If one of your players is a FA at the end of the season, can you resign him or does he automatically go into the FA pool and cannot be bid on until the next season begins? What determines a RFA from a FA?

rover is correct and left one small thing out is that you can also trade an RFA at any time...so even if one of your RFAs has a bid of say $20 and you only have $5 you can trade him to someone else for some form of compensation...sometimes owners decide that something is better then nothing...and sometimes there arent any other buyers.
But you are only trading the rights to the player, correct?

What determines this new contract?If one of your players is a FA at the end of the season, can you resign him or does he automatically go into the FA pool and cannot be bid on until the next season begins? What determines a RFA from a FA?
The owner dictates the contract. Some leagues limit them at a 5 year max, some leagues are higher. Each team only has a certain amount of contract years available. My leagues are 90 available contract years split-up between 35 players.When a contract runs out, the player becomes a RFA (the owner then holds the right to match any offer during the RFA signing period). Players who had no contracts are FAs.

Users who are viewing this thread