What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civil War Days Cancelled -- People don't want to be reminded of slavery (2 Viewers)

And to those of you saying this isn't a great way to learn about history, I think you're very wrong. But, even if you were right, why would you care one way or another if these occur? They don't cost the Forest Preserve District money (ours may even have been a revenue-maker, though I'm not sure about that). 
What is the history being taught in NE Illinois about the Civil War?  The only real thing I'm aware of is Camp Douglas in Chicago.  But most of that prison camp has been paved over.

What is the history being taught in NE Illinois about the Civil War?  The only real thing I'm aware of is Camp Douglas in Chicago.  But most of that prison camp has been paved over.
I don't see why it matters where the reenactment takes place. Are you suggesting it's necessary to travel to Normandy to learn about D-Day? Or do we need to tour Hiroshima to learn about the atomic bomb detonation? If something didn't occur in our back yards, then we shouldn't learn about it in an immersive way? 

I don't see why it matters where the reenactment takes place. Are you suggesting it's necessary to travel to Normandy to learn about D-Day? Or do we need to tour Hiroshima to learn about the atomic bomb detonation? If something didn't occur in our back yards, then we shouldn't learn about it in an immersive way? 
A re-enactment of Hiroshima?!?!?

Cooooooooooooooolllllllllll. 

To learn about them? No.  To reenact them?  Yeah, probably.  Were their battles there?  Like I said, the prison camp is the only connection I know of to Chicagoland but I'm far from a buff. 

I've been to Civil War reenactments before, I'm asking honestly.

If it is history we wish to reenact why not the Reconstruction?  Why the same event year after year, what is to be learned from that.  Move forward a few years every year.  More learning, if that is indeed what we are after.   

If it is history we wish to reenact why not the Reconstruction?  Why the same event year after year, what is to be learned from that.  Move forward a few years every year.  More learning, if that is indeed what we are after.   
I'm guessing because there's a large contingent that think if they do it enough that maybe one of these times the treasonous south might post a W. 

If it’s a historically accurate re-enactment it’s fine. Some people like that stuff. It’s like a medevial festival- I don’t want to dress in homemade armor in 90’ heat and eat turkey legs, but if you do fine. I think it’s all weird. 

I could understand if I lived there having a problem if public funds are being used, and using public land. If I wanted to re-enact Woodstock in some public park I’m prettt sure it would get shut down. 

Words have meaning. You don't really get to change that meaning for yourself and expect others to play along.
I answered his questions numerous times then he harps on the technical definition of one word.... doesn’t sound like a fair game to me how about you?  

My son learned about the Constitution this year in 7th grade. By your logic, next year's 7th graders should learn about something else, since the Constitution has already been covered. 

My son learned about the Constitution this year in 7th grade. By your logic, next year's 7th graders should learn about something else, since the Constitution has already been covered. 
So the civil war days event that was cancelled was only viewed by one specific grade every year?

Yes, protesters too, provided they are in the confines of the law. 

But, I'd simply like one person to enlighten me as to what they are protesting.

Will your son be studying the same material on the Constitution again in 8th grade, 9th, 10th?

In the end I do not care.  The re-enactors can do what they wish without opposition from me.  I just happen to believe they are not doing this for historical lessons but rather to keep alive a feeling, a myth, and ethos, and one that I find rooted in a longing for a time well past, to my mind.  No matter, if they are lawful and orderly I defend their right to their views and practices even as I may disagree with them.

I just happen to believe they are not doing this for historical lessons but rather to keep alive a feeling, a myth, and ethos, and one that I find rooted in a longing for a time well past, 
Actually I don’t think it’s either. 

I think they like war games. Honestly I don’t think it’s much different from folks who enjoy paintball or RPG guys. 

Putting both the history and the “myth” aside, the Civil War is cool because it has all these neat battles with chess like strategies. That is IMO the main attraction. It’s a fun war. 

Will your son be studying the same material on the Constitution again in 8th grade, 9th, 10th?

In the end I do not care.  The re-enactors can do what they wish without opposition from me.  I just happen to believe they are not doing this for historical lessons but rather to keep alive a feeling, a myth, and ethos, and one that I find rooted in a longing for a time well past, to my mind.  No matter, if they are lawful and orderly I defend their right to their views and practices even as I may disagree with them.
Have you asked the re-eactors why they are in it?

Last edited by a moderator:

I think they like war games. Honestly I don’t think it’s much different from folks who enjoy paintball or RPG guys. 

Putting both the history and the “myth” aside, the Civil War is cool because it has all these neat battles with chess like strategies. That is IMO the main attraction. It’s a fun war. 
No doubt the reasons vary from participant to participant.  Costume designers, true history buffs - including professors, guys who can't get dates, whatever, a broad spectrum no doubt.

Thank you and its a hobby for most re-enactors.

Are you saying it is good that this was cancelled? If so, why? 

And to those of you saying this isn't a great way to learn about history, I think you're very wrong. But, even if you were right, why would you care one way or another if these occur? They don't cost the Forest Preserve District money (ours may even have been a revenue-maker, though I'm not sure about that). 
I don't.

Why is reenacting history weird to you? Genuine question. Does it apply to all history or just war stuff?
I honestly don't get it. There are certainly things that I'm a nerd about, but playing dress up and make believe about the Civil War eludes me. Living then would have been unpleasant and the war was hell. These guys are playing. That disconnect is strange to me.

I honestly don't get it. There are certainly things that I'm a nerd about, but playing dress up and make believe about the Civil War eludes me. Living then would have been unpleasant and the war was hell. These guys are playing. That disconnect is strange to me.
I don’t know why it’s strange. Ever been to Medieval Times? Guys in knight costumes joust while you’re eating dinner. They reenact the tournaments. They don’t reenact dying of the Black Plague. They don’t burn witches (that might be fun though.)  

I don’t know why it’s strange. Ever been to Medieval Times? Guys in knight costumes joust while you’re eating dinner. They reenact the tournaments. They don’t reenact dying of the Black Plague. They don’t burn witches (that might be fun though.)  
Nope

I like the fact that they chose to re-enact the Siege Of Vicksburg. Do the Confederate re-enactors faithfully re-create the slow process of starving to death before finally giving up?
No but they do eat their pets and other small rodents.

I like the fact that they chose to re-enact the Siege Of Vicksburg. Do the Confederate re-enactors faithfully re-create the slow process of starving to death before finally giving up?
I read book on the battle of Vicksburg and just remember the conditions inside the city were horrendous.   

No, my guess is he will not be studying the same thing over the next few years. But, if he chose to do so, I wouldn't stop him.

It's not like the Civil War Days & reenactment is compulsory. Nobody HAS to go, but neither is it a bad thing if someone chooses to go every single year. For most folks, once is likely enough. 

I've been to the Field Museum more than once. I've seen the same exhibits multiple times. Still interesting to me, and those are static exhibits.

Civil Wars Days is an immersive event. People can walk through camps, ask questions, etc. There are sometimes actors impersonating Lincoln, etc. It's fun for those who choose to go. Never have I heard of an inkling of racism or any other type of malicious behavior at this event. But, a guy realized there are Confederate flags present and decided he knows best. Then when he was called out on asserting more power than he actually has, he reversed his decision (grudingly). But, the genie was out of the bottle by then, and now we have activist groups threatening the event. Those 'threats' would not have existed had the Board President not unilaterally offered some misguided, uninformed opinions.

No, my guess is he will not be studying the same thing over the next few years. But, if he chose to do so, I wouldn't stop him.

It's not like the Civil War Days & reenactment is compulsory. Nobody HAS to go, but neither is it a bad thing if someone chooses to go every single year. For most folks, once is likely enough. 

I've been to the Field Museum more than once. I've seen the same exhibits multiple times. Still interesting to me, and those are static exhibits.

Civil Wars Days is an immersive event. People can walk through camps, ask questions, etc. There are sometimes actors impersonating Lincoln, etc. It's fun for those who choose to go. Never have I heard of an inkling of racism or any other type of malicious behavior at this event. But, a guy realized there are Confederate flags present and decided he knows best. Then when he was called out on asserting more power than he actually has, he reversed his decision (grudingly). But, the genie was out of the bottle by then, and now we have activist groups threatening the event. Those 'threats' would not have existed had the Board President not unilaterally offered some misguided, uninformed opinions.
I do not condone threats nor the people who make them.  Respectful challenges or disagreements sure, but not threats.

timschochet said:

Another piece of evidence to support your claim (which I completely agree with) is how they behave when their game gets taken away.

I don’t think there is anything significant about this re-enactment but it is something that has some historical value and so I hate to see it shut down.

Users who are viewing this thread