What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ spiller value (2 Viewers)

Crazy how everyone forgets how good Fjax was before he was injured last year....
Also funny that the Bills coaches, who see them practice every day, made the Jackson the starter and Spiller the back up again this year. Now that Jackson will miss four weeks, they suddenly think Spiller is going to be this top ten stud just because of garbage time yardage the Jets allowed in a blowout. He will be a nice option for a few weeks till the stud RB comes back.
:confused: This makes no sense at all. Lots of coaches prefer to to ride the veteran player. FJax is a good player and can be productive. However Spiller is more explosive (due to youth?). Spiller out performed FJax last year when FJax got hurt. But perhaps he just makes silly mistakes in practice that a veteran wouldn't and the coaching staff felt more secure going with FJax.

And as far as the Jets defense letting Spiller get his yards in garbage time...since when has the Jets defense with all it's pride and #### talking ever willingly gave up yards? Especially to a RB? I can see playing soft coverage, keeping everything in front of you in the passing game. But stopping the run is what defenses take pride in. I'm positive the Jets defense didn't "let" Spiller eat them up like he did.

But maybe they did. I'm just a football fan. :unsure:
No one said they 'let' him get yardage. If you don't know the difference between a standard defensive game plan, and a prevent defense where they are begging you to run so that the clock runs down and you don't get burned on the quick-hit deep ball, then you must be a relatively new football fan. No one is saying Spiller didn't play well. He used the opportunity that Jackson's injury gave him and he performed well. But he is the back up. F. Jackson was a top five back last year when he broke his leg. And the staff saw the two of them side by side all summer during OTA's and training camp. Jackson won the job again. Maybe last weelk's injury will hamper Jackson even when he's back. I guess that's one optimistic way of Spiller's owners to look at it. But if Jackson comes back in week 5 or 6 as good as he was this time last week, Spiller is back on the bench.
I just don't see any team going into a prevent defense in the 1st half of a game.

Spiller was my RB4 in a start 2 no flex league & I'm a little thin at WR.

I was just offered Jamaal Charles & Lance Moore for Spiller, think I'm taking it.

Spiller was my RB4 in a start 2 no flex league & I'm a little thin at WR.I was just offered Jamaal Charles & Lance Moore for Spiller, think I'm taking it.
Take it! In five weeks, you have a stud RB and WR3 and he has a Bills backup who gets 8-12 touches a game.

Spiller was my RB4 in a start 2 no flex league & I'm a little thin at WR.I was just offered Jamaal Charles & Lance Moore for Spiller, think I'm taking it.
Take it! In five weeks, you have a stud RB and WR3 and he has a Bills backup who gets 8-12 touches a game.
:rolleyes: And two quarters later he'll have the starter in Buffalo for the rest of the season and not a guy losing carried to Peyton Hillis and a training camp sensation....

:rolleyes: And two quarters later he'll have the starter in Buffalo for the rest of the season and not a guy losing carried to Peyton Hillis and a training camp sensation....
Sup, bro?

I wouldn't take that. If you're thin at WR, you should be targeting WR1/2 types, not Lance Moores.

I own Spiller/Morris/D.Brown in a PPR as my RB4/5/6 behind McFadden, Martin and SJax. Was just offered Megatron for Spiller and Morris by the desperate FJax owner. As good as Spiller has been in the absence of FJax, and believe me I'm a Spiller believer (drafted him in 4 of my 5 leagues), I'd instantly take Doug Martin or Jamaal Charles for him if offered.

Even if you didn't watch the game, is it that hard to go to NFL.com, click on the Bills, and watch a few minutes of video?

Spiller did not gain the bulk of his yards against a prevent defense. That is nothing but pure B.S. from someone who obviously 1) didn't watch the game, and 2) doesn't realize this a team that came from 3 scores down to beat the Patriots last year. You better believe every member of the Jets defense is aware of their capability, and fired up in front of a home opener crowd, no way were they taking anything for granted.

On the first long TD (56 yards), there were 8 men in the box. Does that sound like a prevent defense? Speed kills, and Spiller had an explosive burst on that play. Something he displayed repeatedly at Clemson, and again last year when he was one of the hottest backs in FF over the last 5 weeks.

On the second TD, stop the video and check the formation. Standard 4-3 with the safeties 10 yards back, LBs 3-4 yards off the ball, corners up 6'-8' off the WR. But forget that - the play didn't come off as planned at all (off LT) because the DT blew up the guard. C.J. improvised, bounced out to the right, and flat out blew by everybody on his way to a 49 yarder.

Ignore internet blowhards. Trust your eyes. Go look at the video and decide for yourself.

56 yard TD

49 yarder

Thurman Thomas breaks it down - the maturation of CJ Spiller, end of 2011 season

ETA: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred Jackson has always been the starter for a reason. So temper your Spiller expectations unless you're convinced that Jackson's injury is worse than is being reported. Remember, it's not hard for backs to gain big chunks of yardage in blowouts. The opponent is inviting them to run the ball.
jacksons injury is reported as pretty bad. 4 weeks is large chunk and you know these things rarely hit the best case. like, there is no way he is fit in 4 weeks. your second point doesnt apply perfectly either, as we saw a lot of spiller last year and he was a stud then too.

I would agree that Spiller>FJax. Spiller certainly presents good value over at least the next 2 weeks, then comes NE and SF, After that, who knows, FJax back?

And I give props to the Spiller owners that can roll him into someone like a R. White/P. Harvin level player fro the rest of the season. I guess my jest was aimed more towards those owners, because I guess I'd rather have that level of scoring potential for a full year instead of at best a time-share in a few more weeks. But more power to you all. :thumbup:
you got the bolded wrong. that is the worst case scenario for spiller. best case is that he steals the job and ends up top 5 rb. most likely case is that fjax doesnt see the field for 6 weeks and then its a time share from there, where spiller will still produce decently.i offered nicks for him and was rejected.

Fred Jackson has always been the starter for a reason. So temper your Spiller expectations unless you're convinced that Jackson's injury is worse than is being reported. Remember, it's not hard for backs to gain big chunks of yardage in blowouts. The opponent is inviting them to run the ball.
jacksons injury is reported as pretty bad. 4 weeks is large chunk and you know these things rarely hit the best case. like, there is no way he is fit in 4 weeks. your second point doesnt apply perfectly either, as we saw a lot of spiller last year and he was a stud then too.
and despite Spiller being so good last year, FJax was the starter this year. I own neither and am going after neither, but I do feel it's a good idea to cash in now for a starter that fills a hole because chances are when FJax comes back, and he will, this is going to be an RBBC that just makes you frustrated.

would you guys do Reggie wayne and rashad jennings for spiller and ogletree in a PPR where i get the spiller side?

would you guys do Reggie wayne and rashad jennings for spiller and ogletree in a PPR where i get the spiller side?
Obviously, but why would the other team do that. Rashad Jennings is worthless with MJD back and spiller >>>>>> Wayne.

I just dropped FJax for Spiller. Hope it wasn't premature. I didn't have a roster for both. My Bench is already deep with Martin and BJGE.

assuming you can make 0 bids then ya. if not, then i dunno, like 92? dude is a top 5 back over the next 6 weeks.

Jackson owner has Benson, A. Morris, Mendenhall, and Vereen as his RB's, and Dez , Roddy White, B. Marshall, and Malcolm Floyd as WR's. I offered him Spiller and Santonio Holmes for Brandon Marshall and Mendenhall.

Last edited by a moderator:
assuming you can make 0 bids then ya. if not, then i dunno, like 92? dude is a top 5 back over the next 6 weeks.
Really think top 5 (even top 10). He's been around for a while and not done a whole lot.Regardless I guess it comes down to if I think another back will be available this year. If so I will be out of wavier money ;)

I just traded Spiller and Stevie Johnson for Greg Jennings.
Hello Poster,Jeez this is afwul. Johnson may outscore Jennings, and at the very least should be close to him. And on top of that, Jennings is hurt two boot! You probably gave away Spiller for free. If someone came into this thread and said "I just cut CJ Spiller for no reason today" I would hate that about as much as I hate this thread.Please maybe try the Assistant Coaches next time before doing this.Regards,THE FANTASY KING

I like Spiller as a top 5-10 fantasy back in PPR going forward. He reminds me of a mix of McCoy and Ray Rice.
I'd like this to be true, but I just don't see the Bills giving up on Jackson. I think a healthy Jackson still gets 75% of the touches.

For the next 3-4 weeks he is a top 10 ppr back easily. After that he likely settles into a good flex option.

Crazy how everyone forgets how good Fjax was before he was injured last year....
Also funny that the Bills coaches, who see them practice every day, made the Jackson the starter and Spiller the back up again this year. Now that Jackson will miss four weeks, they suddenly think Spiller is going to be this top ten stud just because of garbage time yardage the Jets allowed in a blowout. He will be a nice option for a few weeks till the stud RB comes back.
:confused: This makes no sense at all. Lots of coaches prefer to to ride the veteran player. FJax is a good player and can be productive. However Spiller is more explosive (due to youth?). Spiller out performed FJax last year when FJax got hurt. But perhaps he just makes silly mistakes in practice that a veteran wouldn't and the coaching staff felt more secure going with FJax.And as far as the Jets defense letting Spiller get his yards in garbage time...since when has the Jets defense with all it's pride and #### talking ever willingly gave up yards? Especially to a RB? I can see playing soft coverage, keeping everything in front of you in the passing game. But stopping the run is what defenses take pride in. I'm positive the Jets defense didn't "let" Spiller eat them up like he did.But maybe they did. I'm just a football fan. :unsure:
No one said they 'let' him get yardage. If you don't know the difference between a standard defensive game plan, and a prevent defense where they are begging you to run so that the clock runs down and you don't get burned on the quick-hit deep ball, then you must be a relatively new football fan. No one is saying Spiller didn't play well. He used the opportunity that Jackson's injury gave him and he performed well. But he is the back up. F. Jackson was a top five back last year when he broke his leg. And the staff saw the two of them side by side all summer during OTA's and training camp. Jackson won the job again. Maybe last weelk's injury will hamper Jackson even when he's back. I guess that's one optimistic way of Spiller's owners to look at it. But if Jackson comes back in week 5 or 6 as good as he was this time last week, Spiller is back on the bench.
Keep betting on the 31yo with two knee injuries. Either way Spiller doesn't need many touches for RB2 value like Jamal Charles did a few years back. Or to do what CJ did in a tandem. For a 8th-10th round pick most of us gloating have one of the best backs in fantasy right now. F-Jax won the job from complaining to the media last year, he did play out of this world for 10 weeks but it was never a knock on Spiller. Now sit back and watch rare 4.2 speed do work :popcorn:

I was just offered this by a desperate FJAX owner:

[*]1 wheelbarrow of Fabrege Eggs, all filled with Double Eagles

[*]An original Spider Man #1

[*]A Treskilling Yellow Stamp (mint, never hinged)

[*]3 Yuan Dynasty vases

[*]A box of saliva nests made by cave swifts

[*]The Black Qiraji Resonating Crystal and an Talisman of Binding Shard

[*]A cocktail napkin with Shakespeare's signature on it (and lipstick stains that may or may not be from Oscar Wilde)

[*]A night with his wife and first born daughter (when she turns of age, of course) -- consecutively or conjoined.

I am holding out for a kicker, like a teaspoon of Astatine.

That's how much Spiller's value is right now.

I've got Spiller in a return-yardage 16-team league along with Sproles and Martin.

The FJax owner is cranky and initially offered me garbage for Spiller. And then tried to trade FJax for Martin straight up.

Balked at both offers.

Will see who is starving for RB help post-waiver run and pitch some offers. Really hate to keep the Muscle Hamster on the bench this week.

No way I do this in dynasty or redraft. For reference I gave Charles/1.7 for Spiller/2.1 several months ago.

I just traded Spiller and Stevie Johnson for Greg Jennings.
Wow. Jennings is an upgrade over Stevie Johnson, but not that significant. You went from an average WR2 to a borderline WR1 and gave up a potential top 10 RB.With all due respect, this is a pretty bad trade for you. I wouldn't trade Spiller straight up for Jennings right now, especially in PPR leagues.

What's amazing to me is that FJax owners think that

1) he will back in 4 weeks. This could really be a lot like the Pierre Thomas situation a few years back when after a month, he was questionable every week for the next 6 weeks and never played.

2) when he comes back, he'll the lead dog again

While it could happen....FJax being back in 1 month and takin the starting job again, if I were a FJax owner I would be worried that Spiller shines this month and becomes the lead back.

I am a Spiller owner in an auction keeper league at $11 ($200 cap), so I won't trade him unless someone knocks my socks off with an offer.....which won't happen. I am willing to hold and see if he's a legit keeper next year.

In a redraft, I would trade Spiller for a solid WR1 straight up (Likely Nicks/Roddy/Fitzgerald/Marshall type. Or package Spiller in a deal to upgrade to an elite QB, RB, WR, or Graham/Gronkowski. Say if you're strong at RB and need a WR.....package Spiller and say Cruz and try to get Calvin or Julio. Or Spiller and someone like Romo and try to get Rodgers/Brady/Brees.

While I suspect the other owner likely won't accept those deals (depends how desperate they are at RB)......if I am not getting an elite player in return for a Spiller + another realy good player, then I would hold, because right now Spiller has top 10 RB upside right now.

FJax owner in a deep league that has virtually no RB's left on the waiver. Would you trade Kenny Britt for Spiller straight up? Have two decent WR's but Britt was a strong flex play.

FJax owner in a deep league that has virtually no RB's left on the waiver. Would you trade Kenny Britt for Spiller straight up? Have two decent WR's but Britt was a strong flex play.
absolutely 100% yes you make that trade immediately.

absolutely 100% yes you make that trade immediately.
Agreed. Britt is way more of a question mark than Spiller.I just offered Colston for Spiller to a guy that needs some WR help. I may have to sweeten the pot a bit more than that too. But I also have Britt and would trade him in a heartbeat for Spiller.

I think Jackson starts, when he returns, much the way Thomas Jones started over Jamaal Charles. Granted, Jackson has more in the tank than Jones did, but I think Spiller will be the more productive back, both in fantasy and by NFL standards.

In PPR leagues, I think Spiller is a RB1 for the rest of the year, with RB2 downside, assuming 50/50 split. In standard leagues, I am not quite as high on him. 70/0.5 TD doesn't look great, without 3+ receptions.

so i offered 2 trades for spiller and was rejected in standard scoring with 2flex.

nicks for spiller

doug martin+stevie johnson for spiller

so i offered 2 trades for spiller and was rejected in standard scoring with 2flex.nicks for spillerdoug martin+stevie johnson for spiller
Standard scoring? Someone turned down Martin + Stevie? I would take Martin for Spiller straight up. I think Spiller is a better player, but Martin's situation can't be beat. He is a lock for 20 touches a game, plus goal line work. Spiller is not, especially once Jackson is back.

For people looking to trade for Spiller, I just made the following deal in one of my leagues where I owned Fred Jackson today.

Reggie Wayne/Pierre Garcon for CJ Spiller/Vincent Jackson

Monday night I made the following trade...offered to me.

Sent: Charles,Crabtree and Lance Moore

Got: Spiller,Jennings and 2013 1strd... probably 6-10 with slight chance at top 5.

Users who are viewing this thread