What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coldest ever wind chill recorded -108 F (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
LINK to video
-------------------
Latest in space 1fa90.png
@latestinspace

BREAKING 1f6a8.png: Mount Washington observatory in New Hampshire just recorded its coldest ever windchill of -104 F (-76 C)
---------------------
Hans Kristensen
@nukestrat

Replying to
@latestinspace
Make that -108 F. 1f976.png
------------------------
I believe I heard this story in the background on the news where they said blood vessels in the lungs would burst before -100 F degrees below zero.

What are some of your personal cold temperature stories?
Lets hear those 'chill' stories.

I remember in the late '70s walking to elementary school (in Milwaukee) during -50 F degree weather. Never closed schools and there were no school buses in my small suburb. Kids today. :rolleyes:

That is lowest recorded wind chill at that location.
Lowest naturally recorded temperature on earth shatters that one.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Lowest temperature recorded on Earth
The lowest natural temperature ever directly recorded at ground level on Earth is −89.2 °C (−128.6 °F; 184.0 K) at the then-Soviet Vostok Station in Antarctica on 21 July 1983 by ground measurements.[1]

On 10 August 2010, satellite observations showed a surface temperature of −93.2 °C (−135.8 °F; 180.0 K) at 81.8°S 59.3°E, along a ridge between Dome Argus and Dome Fuji, at 3,900 m (12,800 ft) elevation.[2] The result was reported at the 46th annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco in December 2013; it is a provisional figure, and may be subject to revision.[3] The value is not listed as the record lowest temperature as it was measured by remote sensing from satellite and not by ground-based thermometers, unlike the 1983 record.[4] The temperature announced reflects that of the ice surface, while the Vostok readings measured the air above the ice, and so the two are not directly comparable. More recent work[5] shows many locations in the high Antarctic where surface temperatures drop to approximately −98 °C (−144 °F; 175 K). Due to the very strong temperature gradient near the surface, these imply near-surface air temperature minima of approximately −94 °C (−137 °F; 179 K).
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lowest temperature ever recorded on earth was actually done in a laboratory.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Back in 1908 they reached (−452.092 F).
Modern experiments exceeded that to a point physics changed so they made up entirely new terms.

C
I remember in the late '70s walking to elementary school (in Milwaukee) during -50 F degree weather. Never closed schools and there were no school buses in my small suburb. Kids today. :rolleyes:
Crazy. I graduated HS in 2000 and definitely remember us getting a few cold days.

I worked on a drilling rig right next to the arctic ocean one winter, it was close to Deadhorse, Alaska. There would be weeks where the high would be -30. Although usually at that cold the wind did not blow too bad up there, when it warmed up to -10 is when the wind would start blowing.

I think -50 is the coldest that i saw without windchills, the temperature was suprising stable around -20 to -40 for the most part.

Last edited:

The coldest temperature in Milwaukee, Wisconsin history is -26 °F which has happened twice, most recently on February 3, 1996.

I don’t think people realize how cold -50 is. No kid is walking to school.

The coldest temperature in Milwaukee, Wisconsin history is -26 °F which has happened twice, most recently on February 3, 1996.

With the wind chill, I should have said. Even if it was -40 F, the point stands.

Last edited:

I don’t think people realize how cold -50 is. No kid is walking to school.
Nor should they - and we shouldn't have either. But times were different.

I was at the Raiders vs Bills game on Jan 15 1994. It was 0 degrees and -32 windchill. I worked outside most of my life and have been in colder temperatures but sitting at a football game in those temps was awful. My GF and I were bundled up in a ton of clothes but still miserable by halftime. I never thought about going to a “cold” game again.

This would seem like child's play to folks in the upper Midwest, Maine, Alaska, or Canada but I remember a winter in the late '70s (I think it was '77) where we didn't get above freezing for about 40 straight days in Maryland. The Chesapeake Bay froze completely. People were driving cars on it. The tributary I lived on would freeze on occasion, but it froze so solid that year we were burning travel-lift tires (basically, airplane tires) we stole from a nearby marina for bonfires. I don't know if any individual daily low records were set, but it seemed like it would never end.

I was here for both of these:
----------------------------------------
Steamboat Springs record lows from 1893 to 2011 in February:

-48 on Feb. 10, 1933

2. -44 on Feb. 1, 1985

-44 on Feb. 1, 1951

2. -44 on Feb. 18, 1942

5. -42 on Feb. 6, 1989

6. -41 on Feb. 6, 1982
-----------------------------------

The official thermometer that took readings for the town froze solid in 82 with an unofficial reading of -65 F which would have been two degrees off of the coldest ever recorded in Colorado at that time.
I distinctly recall that day in 85 because it was during the Christmas holiday working at the ski resort where we had to get in an hour early when the bus line was not running so I had to hitch a ride into work.
I took off wearing so many layers I don't remember, hoping a car would be out that early (4:00 AM needed to get to work at the top of the mountain by 4:30 to prep the only place that sold breakfast on the mountain back in 85.
NOTHING was on the street except for me. I got about 8 blocks from my house when the cold hit me in the chest.
I looked up at the electric sign over the bank at the end of town, it read -30 below zero, I sucked in my breath.
Then...
I saw it drop to -31. I gasped because I
was in trouble and seriously considered trying to run back home before I would freeze to death. It felt like the cold weather had consciousness like a sniper setting me in its sites and I was going to get taken out.
A few minutes later a car picked me up and I honestly think he saved my life.
Temperature kept dropping and they closed the top of the mountain that day.

Growing up in New Orleans it hit 16F once. Yes, 16. It was apocalyptically cold - gloves and everything had to be worn.

Born, raised, and now back in SoCal. Spent two winters ('12 and '13) living in the Twin Cities. My buddy who recruited me to work there told me that those were probably the worst consecutive winters he could remember there. The winters were long, brutally cold, and the ice on the roads was ridiculous.

I prefer some kind of change in the weather so SoCal kinda sucks in that regard, but man those days of -20 with the wind chill are certainly not missed.

No thank you. It's a nice 65 degrees here on the coast. Enjoying a nice cup of coffee and quoisant for breakfast.

Users who are viewing this thread