What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (8 Viewers)

So money from the league equals everything is ok?

You realize they were not protesting league charity, right?
They are protesting a problem that will take generations to fix.  Is the plan to keep doing it until everyone is happy?  Because that is NEVER going to happen.

The NFL is at least taking a positive step to aid the black community.  They are a business and wants to get back to making money.  This offer is a way for them to get back to being a cash cow.  If some players don't want to meet in the middle, that is on them.  I'm simply stating that they will lose some of their sympathy. 

They are protesting a problem that will take generations to fix.  Is the plan to keep doing it until everyone is happy?  Because that is NEVER going to happen.

The NFL is at least taking a positive step to aid the black community.  They are a business and wants to get back to making money.  This offer is a way for them to get back to being a cash cow.  If some players don't want to meet in the middle, that is on them.  I'm simply stating that they will lose some of their sympathy. 
I agree they are taking a positive step.  But they were never protesting the league and wjatvthe league does.

Im sure they feel this is a nice start (at least some). The league offering things isn't really meeting in the middle.

Not sure...but what does the league spending this money really do to help what they were protesting?
It's 100 million to charities that focus on social injustice right? Sounds helpful, I'm sure they could use the money for good.

Do you think they're going to kneel until black men aren't killed by police officers? Because that's not ever going to stop. Neither is white people being killed by police officers

It's 100 million to charities that focus on social injustice right? Sounds helpful, I'm sure they could use the money for good.

Do you think they're going to kneel until black men aren't killed by police officers? Because that's not ever going to stop. Neither is white people being killed by police officers
The point is...the protest isn’t about threat the NFL wasn’t doing enough. 

Apparently they're going to kneel forever I guess? 

What will stop the protests in your opinion?
I think the NFL will stop the protests by having the teams remain in the locker room next season while the anthem is played, which was how it was done before 2009.

If that doesn't happen they will lessen over time but probably with a few players continuing to kneel on general principles about racial inequality, although at some point the general public will stop paying attention or get bored with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree they are taking a positive step.  But they were never protesting the league and wjatvthe league does.

Im sure they feel this is a nice start (at least some). The league offering things isn't really meeting in the middle.
Just to repeat RW's question.  What do you want the league to do?  If the NFL thinks the kneeling is costing them money and the 100m was a way to get past it, how is that not working towards improving both situations?  If the NFL goes forward with these donations and players continue to kneel, costing owners money, there are going to be a lot more "Kaepernicks" who can't find a team.  Then it goes back to old argument of it's not a matter of talent, it is the business 101.   If "x player" hurts the bottom line, they aren't worth signing.   

Just to repeat RW's question.  What do you want the league to do?  If the NFL thinks the kneeling is costing them money and the 100m was a way to get past it, how is that not working towards improving both situations?  If the NFL goes forward with these donations and players continue to kneel, costing owners money, there are going to be a lot more "Kaepernicks" who can't find a team.  Then it goes back to old argument of it's not a matter of talent, it is the business 101.   If "x player" hurts the bottom line, they aren't worth signing.   
I don’t read what wreck posts.  So if has been asking me questions...he should take the hint that I don’t respond to him.

To answer you...I’m not saying anything bad against the league or that they need to do anything.  If the league feels it’s costing them money.  Be open with the players.  Say hey...when this costs us money as a league...it costs you money.  How can we work together to put this past us and so on. Maybe they have.  I’m not in on those talks though...not in charge of the league or players union.

I don’t read what wreck posts.  So if has been asking me questions...he should take the hint that I don’t respond to him.

To answer you...I’m not saying anything bad against the league or that they need to do anything.  If the league feels it’s costing them money.  Be open with the players.  Say hey...when this costs us money as a league...it costs you money.  How can we work together to put this past us and so on. Maybe they have.  I’m not in on those talks though...not in charge of the league or players union.
That is basically what the ESPN article alluded to.  Goodell and the league brought in a large group of players (40) to work towards a common goal and create an environment where players didn't want to kneel.  Having the NFL in a room with 40 players didn't work out so well as there were too many voices.   Boldin and Jenkins became the representation for the players union.  This deal was proposed and now some of the original 40 members don't like it.  

Eric Reid is now taking issues with Boldin and Jenkins and is upset that his voice isn't being heard.  They end the article with...

No matter the outcome of the owners' vote in March, Reid still plans to continue to push for racial equality and is among a group of players who will likely continue to protest. 
The NFL is at least trying, but it's hard to make 2,000 players happy.  This whole thing comes across to me as Reid losing sight of what he set out to do. 

That is basically what the ESPN article alluded to.  Goodell and the league brought in a large group of players (40) to work towards a common goal and create an environment where players didn't want to kneel.  Having the NFL in a room with 40 players didn't work out so well as there were too many voices.   Boldin and Jenkins became the representation for the players union.  This deal was proposed and now some of the original 40 members don't like it.  

Eric Reid is now taking issues with Boldin and Jenkins and is upset that his voice isn't being heard.  They end the article with...

The NFL is at least trying, but it's hard to make 2,000 players happy.  This whole thing comes across to me as Reid losing sight of what he set out to do. 
I don’t think he set out to not have his voice heard and for the nfl to just propose money.

I agree they are trying...I didnt saybanythjng bad aboutbthe NFLs effort and didn't read any of the comments as Reid belittling their effort either.

Goodell and the owners could fix this all pretty easily by holding a meeting with the protesting players, starting an organization funded by the NFL and NFLPA focused on racial justice called "Stand Together" and everyone declares victory with the players standing as much for the organization's creation (a win) as for the flag (still a win for the league.)  Of course that requires leadership and thinking. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21606390/nfl-offers-100-million-plan-social-justice-organizations-partnership-players

So the league has offered a potential solution and a few players aren't happy because....  Their chosen reps didn't negotiate a better deal?
So... it only took the NFL a little over six extra weeks to come up with this.

I guess I should apply for a job.

I don’t think he set out to not have his voice heard and for the nfl to just propose money.

I agree they are trying...I didnt saybanythjng bad aboutbthe NFLs effort and didn't read any of the comments as Reid belittling their effort either.
No, but what Reid has to worry about are headlines like these

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-offers-100m-charity-2-quit-players-coalition-article-1.3665437

It comes off as the NFL at least trying to better the situation.  Now Reid and Thomas say its not good enough or not what they wanted.  To continue kneeling isn't kneeling to raise awareness or protest anymore.  It's kneeling to get what they personally want.  And yes, they have every right to do it.  And all the teams have every right not to sign those guys. 

So... it only took the NFL a little over six extra weeks to come up with this.

I guess I should apply for a job.
To be fair I'm sure they had to convince alot of people. And going from what little experience I have with big business they had to hold 147 meetings about it.

You only had to convince yourself

No, but what Reid has to worry about are headlines like these

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-offers-100m-charity-2-quit-players-coalition-article-1.3665437

It comes off as the NFL at least trying to better the situation.  Now Reid and Thomas say its not good enough or not what they wanted.  To continue kneeling isn't kneeling to raise awareness or protest anymore.  It's kneeling to get what they personally want.  And yes, they have every right to do it.  And all the teams have every right not to sign those guys. 
:goodposting:

I think the NFL will stop the protests by having the teams remain in the locker room next season while the anthem is played, which was how it was done before 2009.

If that doesn't happen they will lessen over time but probably with a few players continuing to kneel on general principles about racial inequality, although at some point the general public will stop paying attention or get bored with it.
Ok, I'll word it differently. Other than keeping the teams in the lockerroom, what do you think has to happen for the players to not protest anymore?

Cowboysfan8 said:
Ok, I'll word it differently. Other than keeping the teams in the lockerroom, what do you think has to happen for the players to not protest anymore?
I have no idea, since the protest, starting with Kaepernick, has not articulated specific goals to be achieved for it to end.

I imagine it would have to be something along the lines of "We accomplished what we set out to do, which was to bring sufficient public attention to this matter"

Cowboysfan8 said:
To be fair I'm sure they had to convince alot of people. And going from what little experience I have with big business they had to hold 147 meetings about it.

You only had to convince yourself
But I did it very quickly and efficiently. 

Details of the proposal

The NFL's multifaceted offer earmarks at least $89 million over a seven-year period for both national and local projects, according to the documents. On the national level, owners this year would allocate $5 million, with their commitment growing annually and maxing out at $12 million per year from 2021 through 2023. At the local level, owners would put up $250,000 annually and expect players to match that amount, totaling $500,000 for each team. Players and owners can exceed that amount if they choose, with no matching requirement.

In addition, there would be other fundraising opportunities, including telethons and auctions of jerseys worn in games.

Jeff McLane‏ @Jeff_McLane 16m16 minutes ago

Malcolm Jenkins said that he has been encouraged by the NFL’s efforts in regards

to social injustice. League recently pledged to contribute $100 million to causes

important to the black community if players stand during the national anthem.

Some players are still not on board.

Jeff McLane‏ @Jeff_McLane 16m16 minutes ago

Malcolm Jenkins said that he has been encouraged by the NFL’s efforts in regards

to social injustice. League recently pledged to contribute $100 million to causes

important to the black community if players stand during the national anthem.

Some players are still not on board.
He actually said more than "he's encouraged"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21621783/malcolm-jenkins-philadelphia-eagles-protest-nfl-89m-pledge

Have to give Kaep a nod of the cap... his purpose was to bring awareness with the goal of actually addressing the issues, and the NFL is certaonly doing that.

While not universally accepted, between the enhanced dialogue on this issue and the NFL's focus and financial commitment, hard to say this is not at least a positive result toward the original point of the protest.

https://newsstand.google.com/articles/CAIiEBP2XyMnv-GF9AefHvNfr4IqFggEKg0IACoGCAowxYgCMIBNMJeP1AM

Colin Kaepernick To Receive Muhammad Ali Legacy Award

“Like Muhammad, Colin is a man who stands on his convictions with confidence and courage," Ali's widow says in presenting the Sports Illustrated honor.

Sports Illustrated has just named Colin Kaepernick the 2017 Muhammad Ali Legacy Award recipient for his tireless activist work. 

The magazine announced its decision Thursday with Lonnie Ali, Muhammad Ali’s widow, who consults with SI to choose the recipient each year. 

“Like Muhammad, Colin is a man who stands on his convictions with confidence and courage, undaunted by the personal sacrifices he has had to make to have his message heard,” Ali said in a statement. “He has used his celebrity and philanthropy to benefit some of our most vulnerable community members. I know the Ali family joins me in congratulating Colin as he receives the 2017 SI Muhammad Ali Legacy Award.”

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jim Brown and Bill Russell were the 2017 co-recipients. In a news release, Executive Editor Stephen Cannella said only a few athletes have “followed [Ali’s] example as fully” as the former San Fransisco quarterback who began kneeling during the pre-game national anthem to protest racial injustice against black people.

“In this noisy political and media environment, it’s easy to forget his core message: that all people in this country deserve to be treated with dignity, respect and recognition of their civil rights,” Cannella said. “Too often that message has been lost in the debate over how it is expressed. Colin has sacrificed much in the name of that message, even as he has furthered it with significant charitable efforts that are making a real difference in communities at the grassroots level.”

The Legacy Award will be presented at the Sportsperson of the Year Awards on Dec. 5. Kaepernick, who remains unsigned to an NFL team, was also recently honored as GQ’s Citizen of the Year.

Kaep's charitable work continues:

Colin Kaepernick‏ @Kaepernick7 18h18 hours ago

I teamed up with Kevin Livingston from 100 Suits for 100 Men. Previously I donated suits for formerly incarcerated men in the job search process. I donated $33,000 to his organization & part of that was recently used to provide a special meal to those incarcerated at Rikers Island

https://twitter.com/Kaepernick7/status/936714957181325313

https://rotoden.com/2017/12/02/houston-texans-missed-colin-kaepernick/

Colin Kaepernick could have helped the Texans

By James Mastrucci, Head of Cleveland Sports

[...]

If the Texans would have signed Kaepernick, they would have been able to compete this year instead of essentially mailing it in. The offense would not revert to the pre-Watson style. Instead it could have allowed the team to continue playing in the same offense with a similar quarterback in Kaepernick. Kaepernick would be able to thrive in this offense which would allow the team to get ready for Watson’s return next season. More experience running these plays would only increase their effectiveness.

Of course it is worth mentioning the possibility that Watson’s recovery does not go as planned. Even though his progress is reportedly going well, there is always the possibility of a setback. If a setback were to occur, having a player in Kaepernick would allow the Texans to continue running the same offense. Consistency from year to year is essential in the NFL and Kaepernick would provide that this year and next if needed.

Preparation in the NFL is key, without it a team ends up playing an inadequate quarterback and falling out of the playoff picture. Bringing in Kaepernick would have preserved the season and kept the playoff hopes alive. It would also provide a fallback plan if Watson is not ready to come back next season. Houston is truly the only situation that would work for Kaepernick. They run an offense where Kaepernick could make plays and lead the team to wins.

The fact of the matter is that the Texans truly blew it. Deciding to go back to Savage has ended their season. Kaepernick would be able to at least keep the team competitive and alive in the playoffs. Instead the Texans did not sign Kaepernick and the team will finish with a losing record. Instability at the quarterback position remains and the team has given up. Kaepernick would be able to keep the team entertaining and fans engaged. Instead sub-par quarterback play remains in Houston as they finish the season on a down note

[...]

If the Texans would have signed Kaepernick, they would have been able to compete this year instead of essentially mailing it in. The offense would not revert to the pre-Watson style. Instead it could have allowed the team to continue playing in the same offense with a similar quarterback in Kaepernick. Kaepernick would be able to thrive in this offense which would allow the team to get ready for Watson’s return next season. More experience running these plays would only increase their effectiveness.

Of course it is worth mentioning the possibility that Watson’s recovery does not go as planned. Even though his progress is reportedly going well, there is always the possibility of a setback. If a setback were to occur, having a player in Kaepernick would allow the Texans to continue running the same offense. Consistency from year to year is essential in the NFL and Kaepernick would provide that this year and next if needed.

Preparation in the NFL is key, without it a team ends up playing an inadequate quarterback and falling out of the playoff picture. Bringing in Kaepernick would have preserved the season and kept the playoff hopes alive. It would also provide a fallback plan if Watson is not ready to come back next season. Houston is truly the only situation that would work for Kaepernick. They run an offense where Kaepernick could make plays and lead the team to wins.

The fact of the matter is that the Texans truly blew it. Deciding to go back to Savage has ended their season. Kaepernick would be able to at least keep the team competitive and alive in the playoffs. Instead the Texans did not sign Kaepernick and the team will finish with a losing record. Instability at the quarterback position remains and the team has given up. Kaepernick would be able to keep the team entertaining and fans engaged. Instead sub-par quarterback play remains in Houston as they finish the season on a down note
sounds like it cost them the Superbowl

[...]

:lmao:

What a slap in the face to Watson and his talent

Users who are viewing this thread