What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (9 Viewers)

Exactly and the anthem protests have been mischaracterized as that. A good summary from USA today article below:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/09/25/anthem-kneeling-isnt-aimed-veterans-and-other-nfl-protest-misconceptions/701409001/

Anthem kneeling isn't aimed at veterans, and other NFL protest misconceptions

[...]

The protests aren’t aimed at the military, and many veterans support them

The United States military engages in service and conflict partly to protect the rights granted under the nation’s laws. If those rights aren't fully realized or exercisable, the sacrifices of military members lose meaning.

With that understanding, many veterans support NFL players who kneel during the anthem. Take John Middlemas, the 97-year-old World War II veteran from Missouri who knelt on Sunday in solidarity with players. His photo went viral with a quote: “Those kids have every right to protest.”

There’s also Nate Boyer, the former Green Beret and NFL longsnapper who stood alongisde Kaepernick and encouraged him to kneel — rather than sit — during the anthem. Plus Rory Fanning, an ex-Army Ranger who served in Afghanistan alongside former NFL star Pat Tillman.

“(Kaepernick) is choosing not to lie to himself, the world, or all the people who thought they died to ensure we lived in a free country, by claiming this is the land of the free when it is not,” Fanning told Jacobin last year. “This is the opposite of an insult to those who died thinking they were fighting for liberty.” 
You can`t tell people how to feel about things or what they are or are not offended by.  So many people equate the anthem with the military and the flag.  To them it is and will always be disrespectful.  Just the way it is. 

Was at the Lions game on Thursday and nobody kneeled..in fact when the camera zoomed in on the big screens many players were singing the anthem. The sax went over big!

The reason people don`t care is that Lynch has zero respect from the fans about any of his viewpoints. "I am just here so I won`t get fined" comes across plain ignorant.

Kap sat and then spoke about why he sat and the fact that people responded the way they have in both support and anger shows he voice was heard.

Nobody cares about what Lynch does..he is a non-story. Plus the fact that he is now a fading talent does not help his cause.
I'll give Lynch props for playing peacemaker instead of whipping Talib's ### in that fight today

BLACKAMAZING.COM‏ @BLACKAMAZING_ 14m14 minutes ago

Erykah Badu hosted the 2017 Soul Train Awards and during the opening, she

showed support for Colin Kaepernick. "This is for Kap," she said after taking a knee.

"Kap we appreciate you, for giving up your life, giving up your dream, for your belief in us." #blackamazing

https://twitter.com/BLACKAMAZING_/status/935177457010987008
Wait, Kap gave up his life, gave up his dreams? On purpose? 

When did this happen?

showed support for Colin Kaepernick. "This is for Kap," she said after taking a knee.

"Kap we appreciate you, for giving up your life, giving up your dream, for your belief in us." #blackamazing

Still think Kaep will have much more impact being a martyr than returning to football as a run of the mill QB who won`t kneel anymore. The NFL is doing him a favor.

Fun fact

In April 2014, Badu came under fire by the US-based Human Rights Foundation, for performing at the birthday celebration of Swaziland's ruler and monarch, King Mswati III. Mswati, credited as Africa's last absolute monarch, is considered to be a serial human-rights abuser, ruling in luxury in a country famed for its poverty and spiralling HIV rates. Badu presented Mswati with a $100 bill, and a good-luck stone.

Fun fact

In April 2014, Badu came under fire by the US-based Human Rights Foundation, for performing at the birthday celebration of Swaziland's ruler and monarch, King Mswati III. Mswati, credited as Africa's last absolute monarch, is considered to be a serial human-rights abuser, ruling in luxury in a country famed for its poverty and spiralling HIV rates. Badu presented Mswati with a $100 bill, and a good-luck stone.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/erykah-badu-defends-swaziland-performance-amid-abuse-allegations-20140501

Erykah Badu Defends Swaziland Performance Amid Abuse Allegations

"The people know I was not endorsing the king or helping to further his political agenda," she says

Erykah Badu has had to defend herself for performing "Happy Birthday" at a party for Swaziland King Mswati III, the leader of what Amnesty International describes as "Africa's last remaining absolute monarchy." "She owes us all an explanation," Human Rights Foundation's director of institutional affairs, Alex Gladstein, said in a statement. "The king is a kleptocrat who lives in the lap of obscene luxury while most of his countrymen toil in abject poverty for less than $2 a day." According to Billboard, Badu replied in a since-deleted Tweet, "I was not paid by the KING. I had no idea of the political climate."

Badu, who had been in South Africa working on a record, said in an interview with The Dallas Morning News that she made the trip as a "harmless" last-minute favor for an acquaintance. The party's organizer, Jacob "The Jeweler" Arabo, had told her that one of the performers had dropped off the bill and he needed a replacement, so she took an hour-long helicopter to sing for a packed stadium. She gave Mswati a gift from Arabo and departed to stay at a friend's house. "And all the money that I got from the trip I gave to all the servants in the house," she said.

"I want to address the people, not a group or a government agency," she told the Dallas Morning News. "The people know I was not endorsing the king or helping to further his political agenda. I have no agenda. I went into a situation not completely knowing the political climate of the kingdom. I can't be held responsible for the situation in the kingdom because I signed up as an artist, not as a political activist. I don't belong to anyone or to anything. Anything I do is because I am a human being, and I am for the people."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/erykah-badu-defends-swaziland-performance-amid-abuse-allegations-20140501

Erykah Badu Defends Swaziland Performance Amid Abuse Allegations

"The people know I was not endorsing the king or helping to further his political agenda," she says

Erykah Badu has had to defend herself for performing "Happy Birthday" at a party for Swaziland King Mswati III, the leader of what Amnesty International describes as "Africa's last remaining absolute monarchy." "She owes us all an explanation," Human Rights Foundation's director of institutional affairs, Alex Gladstein, said in a statement. "The king is a kleptocrat who lives in the lap of obscene luxury while most of his countrymen toil in abject poverty for less than $2 a day." According to Billboard, Badu replied in a since-deleted Tweet, "I was not paid by the KING. I had no idea of the political climate."

Badu, who had been in South Africa working on a record, said in an interview with The Dallas Morning News that she made the trip as a "harmless" last-minute favor for an acquaintance. The party's organizer, Jacob "The Jeweler" Arabo, had told her that one of the performers had dropped off the bill and he needed a replacement, so she took an hour-long helicopter to sing for a packed stadium. She gave Mswati a gift from Arabo and departed to stay at a friend's house. "And all the money that I got from the trip I gave to all the servants in the house," she said.

"I want to address the people, not a group or a government agency," she told the Dallas Morning News. "The people know I was not endorsing the king or helping to further his political agenda. I have no agenda. I went into a situation not completely knowing the political climate of the kingdom. I can't be held responsible for the situation in the kingdom because I signed up as an artist, not as a political activist. I don't belong to anyone or to anything. Anything I do is because I am a human being, and I am for the people."
:lmao:

sure I believe her  :moneybag:

If you got Republican bosses, probably best not to kneel during the anthem at a sporting event.

https://theintercept.com/2017/10/16/tennessee-national-anthem-protest-man-fired/

Tennessee Man Fired For Sitting Down During the National Anthem

Tyler Chancellor started his job as a coach at a kickboxing gym in Chattanooga, Tennessee, less than two weeks ago — the culmination of years of hard work.

“I played football my whole life, and I’ve been around a gym setting and training people — that’s what I’ve been doing my whole life,” he told The Intercept.

He worked at 9Round Fitness for a week before he was fired for sitting down during the national anthem at a boxing event a few weeks ago.

9Round didn’t respond to a request for comment from The Intercept, but confirmed to a local reporter that Chancellor was indeed fired for his political gesture.

Chancellor’s termination occurred amid widespread debate over NFL players kneeling during the national anthem, a protest of police brutality started by former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

At first, Chancellor said the job was a good fit. “The people were cool, they were fun to be around,” the 24-year-old said. But he soon learned that the owners, Courtney and Phil Grubb, were avid Republicans and that Phil Grubb was a former police officer.

“I never thought anything of them, until one day, we were talking about the NFL, and [Courtney] mentioned her husband didn’t like the NFL because of the protests and what’s going on,” he explained.

On October 7, he decided to sit while others stood for the national anthem at a local sporting event.

He explained to The Intercept that his opposition to police brutality motivated him to remain seated.

“I’m not about to stand up for a flag that means nothing to me,” he said. “That flag stands for justice for all? There’s not justice for all right now.”

His bosses didn’t see it that way. The Monday after Chancellor chose to sit during the anthem, he was promptly fired by Courtney Grubb.

“I was dressed for work, I went to work, I didn’t even get to start my shift,” he said. “She flat-out said. ‘We’re no longer doing business with you because of what you said Saturday night. That’s disrespectful here at 9Round, we don’t do that.'”

Chancellor doesn’t buy arguments that the national anthem protests are an affront to the military. He points out his father is a veteran who served for two decades.

“I’m 24 years old. My dad served 20 years out of my life in the military,” he said. “I know more about the military than my bosses did.” [...]

While some states and cities have enacted laws that protect employees from being fired for expressing political views, there is no federal law that enshrines those labor rights. As the law firm of Parks, Chesin, and Walbert notes: “The First Amendment protects the government from infringing on your speech. It does not prohibit private employers from taking negative employment actions, including termination against you for your political speech.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Well he didn't care about this issue until October 7th after his boss said something about it. So maybe he was an activist regarding other things, but not this issue.

Pretty clear what he was doing. 
Once again, how do you know that? Answer: you don't.

And the guy is a young African American, not too much of a stretch to believe he cared about this issue before 10/7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, how do you know that? Answer: you don't.
Pretty sure I do. The issue is sitting at games during the anthem. He didnt do that until October 7th when he said he made the decision. Are you saying he wanted to sit at games prior to that, but just didnt do it? That seems like a weird argument to make. In fact that actually makes it sound more like it was in response to his boss then what I was saying even.

Pretty sure I do. The issue is sitting at games during the anthem. He didnt do that until October 7th when he said he made the decision. Are you saying he wanted to sit at games prior to that, but just didnt do it? That seems like a weird argument to make. In fact that actually makes it sound more like it was in response to his boss then what I was saying even.
We don't know what he did prior to October 7th. We don't know how many sporting events, if any, he attended where the anthem was played - this well could have been his first opportunity to make a statement by kneeling. The article does not talk about his past attitudes and any activism or lack of activism before that - so it is presumptuous to make assumptions based on what one speculates he did or didn't do or how he felt before 10/7

We don't know what he did prior to October 7th. We don't know how many sporting events, if any, he attended where the anthem was played - this well could have been his first opportunity to make a statement by kneeling. The article does not talk about his past attitudes and any activism or lack of activism before that - so it is presumptuous to make assumptions based on what one speculates he did or didn't do or how he felt before 10/7

On October 7, he decided to sit while others stood for the national anthem at a local sporting event.
I would say it is presumptuous to say that he decided prior to October 7th when the article says he decided, on ,well, uh, October 7th. This is a really weird thing to try and dig in on. 

What a chump

The company said Chancellor was in training to become a coach at their gym. He said he'd only been on the payroll for a little more than a week before the owner told him not to come back.

Tyler Chancellor says he was invited to sit with his coworkers in the VIP section of the Camp Jordan arena Saturday. On Monday, he said his employer fired him because he sat during the National Anthem.

She said because you sat down, you were a part of a 9Round event, and you sat during the national anthem," Chancellor said. "We no longer want to continue business with you. There was no sugar coating."

The owner of the facility in East Brainerd saud the company backs military and first responders. He considered Chancellor's actions disrespectful.

Harvard Law School Professor Mark Tushnet said the law in Tennessee is written so that employers like 9Round can run their businesses however they want.

"Employers are entitled to fire people what's known as 'at will.'" Tuchnet said. "That is for any reason they have, or for no reason at all."

Chancellor said he found that out after looking into taking legal action.

:lmao:  at scouring the internet for random kneeling stories and then pretending to be the expert on the guy's intentions from the story.  Must not have been any poor QB play yesterday to troll with.
Did you miss the Broncos game?  A grown ### man was crying on the bench because of how bad he played.  Kaep would have played as bad, but at least he wouldn't have cried!

HellToupee said:
What a chump
"9Round fitness is a specialized gym, fitness center & health club dedicated to circuit training with an emphasis on kickboxing fitness training. We are one of the fastest growing fitness franchise in the world."

They'll be out of business in 2 years.

From Peter King today...

5. I think I do not mean to be cruel, but this is the truth: Brock Osweiler has gotten two offensive coordinators (George Godsey, Mike McCoy) fired from two teams (Houston, Denver) in consecutive seasons. Also:

• Osweiler has played so poorly in Houston that he had to be traded to Cleveland along with a second-round pick so the Browns would take him. He played so poorly in training camp in Cleveland that the Browns, desperate for a placeholder quarterback, fired him anyway. He played so poorly in Denver in relief of Trevor Siemian that he was demoted the other day from number one to number three quarterback.

Osweiler is employed in the NFL today. Colin Kaepernick is not. It helps explain why so many people are rooting hard for Kaepernick’s longshot collusion case against the NFL.

HellToupee said:
What a chump
I think calling him a "chump" says more about the one tossing out that accusation than it does him, but the business has every right to fire him.  

Their lack of respect for their employees right to free speech, however, legal as it may be, demonstrates they are the weaker willed, thinner skinned, not so respectful chumps, here, though.

But, it's certainly their right as a business owner to be just that. 

Look closer and you'll see makeup hiding some pretty bad skin. Fake blonde, dark eyebrows.  Meh.  
This was your mistake. 

Is what it is, my man.  Keep my glasses off, remain under the romantic glow of the club's cheesy blacklights, and hope she's gone before I wake up.

OMG, please let her be gone before I wake up.  

I think calling him a "chump" says more about the one tossing out that accusation than it does him, but the business has every right to fire him.  

Their lack of respect for their employees right to free speech, however, legal as it may be, demonstrates they are the weaker willed, thinner skinned, not so respectful chumps, here, though.

Good point

Good point
Meh, I deserved that. :shrug:

I'll retract the word Chumps from my comment, and leave it at weaker willed, thinner skinned people who don't respect the rights of their employees to free, peaceful speech (even if it's within their legal right)

We will see if @HellToupee does the same, but I'll admit fault here and try to come more correct. Thanks for pointing it out. 

I'll retract the word Chumps from my comment, and leave it at weaker willed, thinner skinned people who don't respect the rights of their employees to free, peaceful speech (even if it's within their legal right)

We will see if @HellToupee does the same, but I'll admit fault here and try to come more correct. Thanks for pointing it out. 
I'm just giving you crap man and thought it was funny.  Chumps is fine with me on both sides.

I'm just giving you crap man and thought it was funny.  Chumps is fine with me on both sides.
It's all good - but you got me pretty good.

And maybe chumps is a bit much.

Unfeeling, petty, miscreants better? 

If only there was a word for the opposite of plorable.

This was your mistake. 

Is what it is, my man.  Keep my glasses off, remain under the romantic glow of the club's cheesy blacklights, and hope she's gone before I wake up.

OMG, please let her be gone before I wake up.  
I wouldn't kick her out of bed for voting for Chump, that's for sure.

:shrug:

I like the word chump .Not heavily used and old timey

I look at it as a lack of respect for his employer as he was there as a guest of them. 

From Peter King today...

5. I think I do not mean to be cruel, but this is the truth: Brock Osweiler has gotten two offensive coordinators (George Godsey, Mike McCoy) fired from two teams (Houston, Denver) in consecutive seasons. Also:

• Osweiler has played so poorly in Houston that he had to be traded to Cleveland along with a second-round pick so the Browns would take him. He played so poorly in training camp in Cleveland that the Browns, desperate for a placeholder quarterback, fired him anyway. He played so poorly in Denver in relief of Trevor Siemian that he was demoted the other day from number one to number three quarterback.

Osweiler is employed in the NFL today. Colin Kaepernick is not. It helps explain why so many people are rooting hard for Kaepernick’s longshot collusion case against the NFL.
What a silly narrative, especially considering how 49ers coaches have fared the past couple years.

What a silly narrative, especially considering how 49ers coaches have fared the past couple years.
Take it up with Peter King, chump.  He's fairly good at his job.  

Too bad Chip Kelly and Jim Harbaugh can't find jobs.  Oh, right....even Jim Tomsula gainfully employed.  

Users who are viewing this thread