What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (5 Viewers)

Guessing nobody is even bothering to read this story written by someone thar served. 
I read it and I don't totally disagree with the author.  Blind worship of all military is stupid.  And again, I'm not sure I ever witness that on a regular basis.  But even the author acknowledges part of the issue.

we know and appreciate that defending our nation is a voluntary act, and respecting those who serve helps ensure that other men and women will be willing to step up and enlist
Like I said before the military is struggling very hard to fill its ranks. Honoring the military is an easy and inexpensive solution to aid in the recruiting process. 

So you can read it?  
Done.

Let's be clear, you keep moving the target. First it was worship, now it's as simple as saying thank you. Sounds to me like you want us to ignore it.

The article makes a point about holding people accountable. Whether it's a bad cop, teacher or member of the military. But there are people that make greater sacrifices. You want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I will just say people that don't see combat still play a huge part in ensuring the military can carry out it's primary functions.  Only 3% fall under the special operations umbrella and probably another 20% have actually seen action.  Everyone else may not feel like their job is all that important, but the military needs those people to do their jobs so the operators can carry out front line tasks. 

I will just say people that don't see combat still play a huge part in ensuring the military can carry out it's primary functions.  Only 3% fall under the special operations umbrella and probably another 20% have actually seen action.  Everyone else may not feel like their job is all that important, but the military needs those people to do their jobs so the operators can carry out front line tasks. 
I agree but it all seems so forced and in your face all the time.   

Kaepernick kneeled during the anthem to protest police violence and it got changed to "he doesn't respect those that serve"  and now a bunch of people hate him for it. 
Kneeling for the anthem was an incredibly stupid way to protest police violence,  wearing pig socks makes him an idiot which is why most people don't respect him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree but it all seems so forced and in your face all the time.   
I can tell you that pretty much everyone I talk to hates seeing those surprise military comes home stories.  It's played out and annoying.  The ones with people coming home to dogs and the dogs losing their minds are still pretty fun though. 

I can get behind this. I think we need a teacher tax. Anyone that makes more than  $1 million a year should have to pay $10k towards teacher salary.

Sheriff bart has a point. It has gone a little to the extreme. I think a lot of times it is being done as a look at me and not a genuine gesture.

I think statements generalizing the military as no more heroic than other professions are way off base, but i also think stopping every service member you run into in public and shaking their hand and telling them how you always make sure to thank every one you see is dumb. They dont care that you thank everybody. 

It is fine to give them a nod or even a quick thanks, but dont pass on your germs and make a scene. 

Sheriff bart has a point. It has gone a little to the extreme. I think a lot of times it is being done as a look at me and not a genuine gesture.

I think statements generalizing the military as no more heroic than other professions are way off base, but i also think stopping every service member you run into in public and shaking their hand and telling them how you always make sure to thank every one you see is dumb. They dont care that you thank everybody. 

It is fine to give them a nod or even a quick thanks, but dont pass on your germs and make a scene. 
I guess I missed the passing of that law, or the thank you police that make people shake hands with members of the military. I'm not telling anyone they have to do either. But it sounds like some here want everyone to stop.

This seems odd. Especially since those same people support Kaeps freedoms.

Sigh. Nobody said it was a law. 
Thats my point. How is this different from people saying that standing for the Anthem is forced. It's not. Nobody is forced to do either. If 90 out of 100 people thank a service member, why does it matter to the 10 that don't want to? Nobody is forcing them and what negative effect does it have on those 10?

Thats my point. How is this different from people saying that standing for the Anthem is forced. It's not. Nobody is forced to do either. If 90 out of 100 people thank a service member, why does it matter to the 10 that don't want to? Nobody is forcing them and what negative effect does it have on those 10?
Oh yeah?  Ask Kaepernick. He's the worst person in the world for kneeling. 

This seems odd. Especially since those same people support Kaeps freedoms.
The reason Kaep knelt in the first place was to bring to attention the fact that many are not afforded freedom(s) in the first place. 

As such, it's not a protest for nor against those who protect our freedoms but rather a call to action that many in our nation have those freedoms forceably and systematically taken from them.

FWIW, on the recognition front, more often than not, if I see a servicemember in uniform I'll say a polite thank you and nod the head or tip my cap I'm wearing one.  Regardless my feelings on those running our nation, I will always respect those who put themselves in a position to risk their wellbeing to protect mine.  But I also don't equate the flag, which represents "nation" with those who give of themselves to protect that nation. 

The reason Kaep knelt in the first place was to bring to attention the fact that many are not afforded freedom(s) in the first place. 

As such, it's not a protest for nor against those who protect our freedoms but rather a call to action that many in our nation have those freedoms forceably and systematically taken from them.

FWIW, on the recognition front, more often than not, if I see a servicemember in uniform I'll say a polite thank you and nod the head or tip my cap I'm wearing one.  Regardless my feelings on those running our nation, I will always respect those who put themselves in a position to risk their wellbeing to protect mine.  But I also don't equate the flag, which represents "nation" with those who give of themselves to protect that nation. 
Yeah, maybe my comment wasn't clear. People say that Kaep is free to do whatever he want's as long as he's not hurting anyone. While others say that we should stop worshiping military members. Aren't they both an expression of free speech?

As much as I didn't care for Kaep's protest, I didn't do anything to make him stop. And, there was at least a purpose to his taking a knee. Telling others to stop honoring our military so much, when nobody ever asked them to, seems odd at best. At worst, it seems insensitive. Especially to the family members of those surprise visits. If kneeling for the National Anthem brings an end to social injustice, what does not thanking our service members bring?

Yeah, maybe my comment wasn't clear. People say that Kaep is free to do whatever he want's as long as he's not hurting anyone. While others say that we should stop worshiping military members. Aren't they both an expression of free speech?

As much as I didn't care for Kaep's protest, I didn't do anything to make him stop. And, there was at least a purpose to his taking a knee. Telling others to stop honoring our military so much, when nobody ever asked them to, seems odd at best. At worst, it seems insensitive. Especially to the family members of those surprise visits. If kneeling for the National Anthem brings an end to social injustice, what does not thanking our service members bring?
No idea, GB.  Unless someone is a pacifist (whole different scenario), don't get this perspective.  Don't see any value in parsing the fact that some "may not" have risked "that much" during their specific time in the military when the vast, vast majority do indeed put themselves at risk, and as you note, even when not in specific harms way, are separated from family and the like for extended periods among other sacrifices.

@KCitons - I wonder how these sentiments cut across generational lines.  Im smack dab in Gen X.  Born in '73, the Vietnam war still technically going, though by the time I was old enough to understand anything, my only memory is of the aftermath.

I recall the shift from hating the war and therefore soldiers (the lack of reception for those who gave in Vietnam is a stain on our society, imo - and the VA issues that last to this day the same) to hating the war but embracing the soldier. But the sacrifice of tens of thousands in that war was always a part of my early life, and likely has influenced my thoughts toward those who serve.  And by sacrifice I mean certainly of their time in war itself, but also their lack of acceptance upon return, home. 

The next big wars were in the Middle East, then Afghanistan.  And the numbers and gore and the like, at least compared with what we saw in Vietnam, were simply not of the same scale and impact. I wonder if that's changed perceptions of what it means to serve?  Although Afghanistan certainly seems to have its very dark places, and true ground and gorilla combat.

A business man can be away from his family for and extended period of time too.  Lots of people make sacrifices for their families, it's not just military.

I hate having this conversation because it makes me come off as not respecting our military, I do, but they are not the only ones that deserve praise.
True..but a business guy is usually sipping double martinis in the hotel lounge watching a football game and sleeping on a nice pillow top bed.

I was in Germany, France and Sweden  for 30 days for business more than one time when Ford was in the Volvo market and getting glass suppliers.  I really missed my family but I was staying in nice hotels with all my meals and drinks paid for..and driving nice vehicles. Did not really consider that a big sacrifice as I was getting paid well.

The military guys who are in the Middle East away from their families for 10 months at a time are making real sacrifices.

True..but a business guy is usually sipping double martinis in the hotel lounge watching a football game and sleeping on a nice pillow top bed.

I was in Germany, France and Sweden  for 30 days for business more than one time when Ford was in the Volvo market and getting glass suppliers.  I really missed my family but I was staying in nice hotels with all my meals and drinks paid for..and driving nice vehicles. Did not really consider that a big sacrifice as I was getting paid well.
To me, the biggest thing is willingly giving up your freedom for the period of time you serve. I mean, if on day 19 of your trip you were like - #### it... I don't like my boss / don't believe in the work we do / just am too lazy and don't care about losing my job / just miss my family so much I'll deal with the repercussions and go home, well, you go home.

You likely get fired (or maybe even not if you have a really good reason and say you NEED to get home for an emergency or something), but that's your choice.

When you enter the military, you give up volition of your own.  Others call the shots - where you go, with whom, when, for how long. What your mission will be.  Whether you will be put in harms way, for how long and how many times.

To me, that's the biggest difference, and is why I respect all those who choose to serve.  

Mind you, that doesn't necessarily make all those who serve "heros" but we can respect and appreciate without hero worship as well. 

The military guys who are in the Middle East away from their families for 10 months at a time are making real sacrifices.
Very true but there are lots of different kinds of jobs and some have perks and some don’t.  Crab fishermen can be out on the water for a long time and don’t get to relax watching football and having drinks at night. 

Really my point was just that there were too many generalizations being made.  There are numerous exceptions and plenty of different heroes out there to all kinds of other people. 

Very true but there are lots of different kinds of jobs and some have perks and some don’t.  Crab fishermen can be out on the water for a long time and don’t get to relax watching football and having drinks at night. 

Really my point was just that there were too many generalizations being made.  There are numerous exceptions and plenty of different heroes out there to all kinds of other people. 
I agree..my buddy who I grew up with owns a small tool shop and works at least 60 and sometimes 70 hours a week and does not make a lot of money. But he is a great husband and father, and the best most dependable man and friend I could ever hope to have in my life.  To me he is a hero.

Sheriff Bart said:
Absolutely they are.  I just don't get lumping everyone in as if they served or are serving in an actual war.  I have nothing but respect for those that choose to serve. I could never do it.  They are treated as infallible today though and find it disturbing. 
You should try visiting a town near a military base.  You may be surprised how much the locals dislike military members.  The young kids away from home are always doing dumb things.  Bar fights nightly.  Bases tend to bring in a seedy element to the community as well.  Pawn Shops, strip clubs, hookers, tattoo joints, used car dealers, anything a 20 year old with a paycheck thinks is a good idea will be there.  Fathers in these places typically don't want their daughters dating joes either. 

I might need to get out more. 

Sheriff Bart said:
Absolutely they are.  I just don't get lumping everyone in as if they served or are serving in an actual war.  I have nothing but respect for those that choose to serve. I could never do it.  They are treated as infallible today though and find it disturbing. 
I'm hesitant to post this, because revealing anything private usually is held against you. But, I think it may help people understand.

We knew our son wanted to join the military when he was about 15. He wanted us to sign off on him joining the Marines before he was 18, but we made him promise to wait until he was 19 to enlist. We tried to steer him towards any other branch, mostly for selfish reasons of wanting to keep him safe. He insisted, if he was going to do it, he wanted to push himself to be the best. 

In the weeks leading up to him shipping out, we tried to pull him closer. He did things to make us mad to push us away. It was his way of lessoning the pain on both of us. The night before they ship out, recruits report to a local hotel and are shuttled to the MEPS center the next morning. An hour before leaving for the hotel, he almost got into a fist fight with his twin brother. It ended with them hugging and crying before he walked out the door. We didn't realize it, but this was a precursor for things to come. 

He left on Monday morning, not expecting a call until he checked in at boot camp. The SOP is that they each get 10 seconds to call home and tell us that he made it safely and we would receive a letter in a few weeks. Being the good kid he is, he had a few minutes at the USO at the San Diego airport and took the opportunity to use the free phone to call us to let us know he arrived in SD and that he loved us. We got the 10 second call a few hours later.

I know it was tough on his Mom. I didn't realize how much until I found his Marine hat he'd been wearing for the last year under her pillow. Every few days she broke down and cried, wondering how he was doing, if he was getting enough to eat, was ok (you know, Mom things) Over the next three months we didn't get to speak to him. An occasional letter arrived. We were thrilled to get a 5 page letter one day, only to find out he had time to write because he was in the hospital with VGE (viral gastroenteritis) for 3 days. They believe they got it from crawling through human feces and urine. The only solace is knowing that by the time we received the letter, he was probably out of the hospital. (had they dropped him, he would have called) About a month ago, over 300 recruits contracted e-coli. They will never release how, but we know. He also endured pneumonia twice during his 3 months. One was during the Crucibal. When he came home on his 10 day leave after boot, he still had it and was put on meds for a week by our family doctor before returning. 

We attended family day and graduation. The first time we'd seen our son in three months. He had change. He wasn't the fun loving, goofy kid he was when he left. He was reserved and somewhat robotic. On family day, when they release the newly minted Marines, they all run to their families. Except some don't have any family, or their family couldn't make it to San Diego. No one there to give them a hug, no one to tell them how proud they are of them. But, I was proud of all of them.

He still won't talk about his time at boot camp. He just tells me "some day I'll tell you about it". When asked if he wanted to go back to Camp Pendleton for his PDS, he said no. He never wants to see that place again. 

When our Marine arrived home on his first leave his twin brother didn't like the change. His brother wasn't the same kid he grew up with. He was cocky, confident and at times an outright #######. It was something we as parents accepted as a temporary transition, but his brother didn't have the maturity to understand. When our Marine left for combat training, his brother no longer wanted to speak to him. He blocked him on social media and didn't talk to him for a couple of months. We drove the 22 hours to attend his MCT graduation, which lasts all of 30 minutes. But it was worth it. 

He's now at his PDS on the East coast. Unfortunately, our home town is outside the area allowed for travel during 96 hour leave. So, he won't be able to come home over some of the lesser holidays. He just arrived last week, so he couldn't make it home for Thanksgiving. He's waiting to find out if/when he will deploy. It could be on a ship. Which worries us because of the recent Navy accidents. He's on a base that utilizes Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft. The same aircraft that has 7 crashes in the last 10 years, causing 42 casualties. 

These days, whenever I see a Sailor, Airman, Soldier or Marine, I see my son. It could be at the gas station or on tv. (the Toys for Tots ads are especially tough) I see all the pictures on facebook of other Marines having Thanksgiving dinner with their families. Our's didn't have time to make arrangements or have a car to get to chow hall for anything. He ate a can of Raviolis in his barracks. He didn't want to spend the $20 to take a cab from his barracks to chow. (I won't even go into the amount of money he spends on incidentals compared to his wage)

When I see a member of the military, I don't think what they didn't do. I don't think that they had it any easier or harder than my son. I see that he/she has their own story, their own family, their own sacrifices. The least I can do is say thank you. 

Sorry for the long post. I'm going to take a break from this place for awhile. 

I'm hesitant to post this, because revealing anything private usually is held against you. But, I think it may help people understand.

We knew our son wanted to join the military when he was about 15. He wanted us to sign off on him joining the Marines before he was 18, but we made him promise to wait until he was 19 to enlist. We tried to steer him towards any other branch, mostly for selfish reasons of wanting to keep him safe. He insisted, if he was going to do it, he wanted to push himself to be the best. 

In the weeks leading up to him shipping out, we tried to pull him closer. He did things to make us mad to push us away. It was his way of lessoning the pain on both of us. The night before they ship out, recruits report to a local hotel and are shuttled to the MEPS center the next morning. An hour before leaving for the hotel, he almost got into a fist fight with his twin brother. It ended with them hugging and crying before he walked out the door. We didn't realize it, but this was a precursor for things to come. 

He left on Monday morning, not expecting a call until he checked in at boot camp. The SOP is that they each get 10 seconds to call home and tell us that he made it safely and we would receive a letter in a few weeks. Being the good kid he is, he had a few minutes at the USO at the San Diego airport and took the opportunity to use the free phone to call us to let us know he arrived in SD and that he loved us. We got the 10 second call a few hours later.

I know it was tough on his Mom. I didn't realize how much until I found his Marine hat he'd been wearing for the last year under her pillow. Every few days she broke down and cried, wondering how he was doing, if he was getting enough to eat, was ok (you know, Mom things) Over the next three months we didn't get to speak to him. An occasional letter arrived. We were thrilled to get a 5 page letter one day, only to find out he had time to write because he was in the hospital with VGE (viral gastroenteritis) for 3 days. They believe they got it from crawling through human feces and urine. The only solace is knowing that by the time we received the letter, he was probably out of the hospital. (had they dropped him, he would have called) About a month ago, over 300 recruits contracted e-coli. They will never release how, but we know. He also endured pneumonia twice during his 3 months. One was during the Crucibal. When he came home on his 10 day leave after boot, he still had it and was put on meds for a week by our family doctor before returning. 

We attended family day and graduation. The first time we'd seen our son in three months. He had change. He wasn't the fun loving, goofy kid he was when he left. He was reserved and somewhat robotic. On family day, when they release the newly minted Marines, they all run to their families. Except some don't have any family, or their family couldn't make it to San Diego. No one there to give them a hug, no one to tell them how proud they are of them. But, I was proud of all of them.

He still won't talk about his time at boot camp. He just tells me "some day I'll tell you about it". When asked if he wanted to go back to Camp Pendleton for his PDS, he said no. He never wants to see that place again. 

When our Marine arrived home on his first leave his twin brother didn't like the change. His brother wasn't the same kid he grew up with. He was cocky, confident and at times an outright #######. It was something we as parents accepted as a temporary transition, but his brother didn't have the maturity to understand. When our Marine left for combat training, his brother no longer wanted to speak to him. He blocked him on social media and didn't talk to him for a couple of months. We drove the 22 hours to attend his MCT graduation, which lasts all of 30 minutes. But it was worth it. 

He's now at his PDS on the East coast. Unfortunately, our home town is outside the area allowed for travel during 96 hour leave. So, he won't be able to come home over some of the lesser holidays. He just arrived last week, so he couldn't make it home for Thanksgiving. He's waiting to find out if/when he will deploy. It could be on a ship. Which worries us because of the recent Navy accidents. He's on a base that utilizes Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft. The same aircraft that has 7 crashes in the last 10 years, causing 42 casualties. 

These days, whenever I see a Sailor, Airman, Soldier or Marine, I see my son. It could be at the gas station or on tv. (the Toys for Tots ads are especially tough) I see all the pictures on facebook of other Marines having Thanksgiving dinner with their families. Our's didn't have time to make arrangements or have a car to get to chow hall for anything. He ate a can of Raviolis in his barracks. He didn't want to spend the $20 to take a cab from his barracks to chow. (I won't even go into the amount of money he spends on incidentals compared to his wage)

When I see a member of the military, I don't think what they didn't do. I don't think that they had it any easier or harder than my son. I see that he/she has their own story, their own family, their own sacrifices. The least I can do is say thank you. 

Thanks for sharing KC, much respect for your son and your family.  :thumbup:

I'm feeling like some are taking this thread as a bash to the military but it's not.  I have a great deal of respect for anyone that enters the military and I would bet that almost everyone on this site does as well.

I'm feeling like some are taking this thread as a bash to the military but it's not.  I have a great deal of respect for anyone that enters the military and I would bet that almost everyone on this site does as well.
Exactly and the anthem protests have been mischaracterized as that. A good summary from USA today article below:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/09/25/anthem-kneeling-isnt-aimed-veterans-and-other-nfl-protest-misconceptions/701409001/

Anthem kneeling isn't aimed at veterans, and other NFL protest misconceptions

[...]

The protests aren’t aimed at the military, and many veterans support them

The United States military engages in service and conflict partly to protect the rights granted under the nation’s laws. If those rights aren't fully realized or exercisable, the sacrifices of military members lose meaning.

With that understanding, many veterans support NFL players who kneel during the anthem. Take John Middlemas, the 97-year-old World War II veteran from Missouri who knelt on Sunday in solidarity with players. His photo went viral with a quote: “Those kids have every right to protest.”

There’s also Nate Boyer, the former Green Beret and NFL longsnapper who stood alongisde Kaepernick and encouraged him to kneel — rather than sit — during the anthem. Plus Rory Fanning, an ex-Army Ranger who served in Afghanistan alongside former NFL star Pat Tillman.

“(Kaepernick) is choosing not to lie to himself, the world, or all the people who thought they died to ensure we lived in a free country, by claiming this is the land of the free when it is not,” Fanning told Jacobin last year. “This is the opposite of an insult to those who died thinking they were fighting for liberty.” 

That's a sacrifice I could never willingly make unless the country were in imminent danger.  I wish nothing but the best for you, your sons, and your family. May God look over and protect them. 

Users who are viewing this thread