What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (4 Viewers)

It was organized but I agree the 20 people who showed up at the airport gave her a very warm welcome.
It was more than 20, at least 100 maybe more (hard to tell from cell phone videos in an enclosed area).  And it must have bothered Trump since the went out of his way to claim in a tweet that it was "staged" which wouldn't have bothered him if indeed had been a "tiny" crowd of about 20.

Omar's district is 70% white and she won with 78% of the vote. I am curious to see the next poll of voters in her district and I think Trump's attacks on her will lead to her coasting to reelection.

It was more than 20, at least 100 maybe more (hard to tell from cell phone videos in an enclosed area).  And it must have bothered Trump since the went out of his way to claim in a tweet that it was "staged" which wouldn't have bothered him if indeed had been a "tiny" crowd of about 20.

Omar's district is 70% white and she won with 78% of the vote. I am curious to see the next poll of voters in her district and I think Trump's attacks on her will lead to her coasting to reelection.
Staged, organized whatever... someone put it together to be released to the news media.   Omar will coast to reelection with or without Trump. In fact I predict she will run unopposed.

Omar's district has been a heavy democrat district since the 1960's. The winner always is above 70 %. 

Omar's district has been a heavy democrat district since the 1960's. The winner always is above 70 %. 
You should tell that to Omar's critics in the threads involving her. Someone was saying her constituents in Minnesota had turned against her because of her "un-American" rhetoric and that a recent poll showed only 11% support

Miami Dolphins' Kenny Stills calls out team owner for hosting fundraiser for Trump

Ross non-profit: "We are a national nonprofit that educates and empowers the sports community to eliminate racial discrimination, champion social justice and improve race relations.”

Stills continues to kneel with the support of Ross, and plays a role in his non-profit. Ross is just repaying Trump for the huge tax cut. Interesting dynamics. Ross has a chance to call out Trump's hateful rhetoric in person.

Your reaction to a video that described a man assaulting a child because he "didn't respect the anthem" is to post a totally unrelated video that has nothing to do with this particular subject, just to try and score some internet points? Okay.
You're OY so I know you aren't new but Trump supporters, who aren't supporters at all but defend everything he says or does, like apples to oranges comparison.  When someone points this out they declare "your side (which is weird since they aren't Trump supporters) didn't say anything (about something completely unrelated) but they are exactly the same!" 

You're OY so I know you aren't new but Trump supporters, who aren't supporters at all but defend everything he says or does, like apples to oranges comparison.  When someone points this out they declare "your side (which is weird since they aren't Trump supporters) didn't say anything (about something completely unrelated) but they are exactly the same!" 
I read the politics forum here now and then. Sometimes type something up, then delete it because I really feel that it is a pointless exercise. I didn't think that many moons ago. Everyone is so entrenched now in what they believe, and they seem to not even read or mentally explore what someone else is trying to say. On one hand, I am extremely frustrated with where we are as a country, but on the other hand, I have kind of checked out since I can't see the value in me participating and caring.

Your reaction to a video that described a man assaulting a child because he "didn't respect the anthem" is to post a totally unrelated video that has nothing to do with this particular subject, just to try and score some internet points? Okay.
Both are assault on a minor for political reasons. The one i posted was to a guy who "didn't respect the hat".  I support free expression in both cases. 

Both are assault on a minor for political reasons. The one i posted was to a guy who "didn't respect the hat".  I support free expression in both cases. 
You pretty much missed my point. You are also doing what is so tiring when discussing anything like this. Instead of saying, "Hey, that guy in Montana acted inappropriately", your knee-jerk reaction is to find some other thing to post from "the other side" to prove some point, or to diminish the actions of the the original post. Hey, you aren't alone. Everyone's doing it. Would it make you feel better for me to tell you that the guy taking someone's hat off and throwing a drink at him is wrong? Sure, you win. 

You pretty much missed my point. You are also doing what is so tiring when discussing anything like this. Instead of saying, "Hey, that guy in Montana acted inappropriately", your knee-jerk reaction is to find some other thing to post from "the other side" to prove some point, or to diminish the actions of the the original post. Hey, you aren't alone. Everyone's doing it. Would it make you feel better for me to tell you that the guy taking someone's hat off and throwing a drink at him is wrong? Sure, you win. 
I don't think it's to gain internet points or to "win." There's a narrative that somehow Trump supporters are more violent and act with assaultive intent both in verbal and physical contact more so than your average citizen. 

What GROOT did was to show that it's happening all over, and on both sides, as you yourself mention in a previous post. Unfortunately, the general narrative of the PSF is that the "deplorable" few are generally Trump supporters, and that chances are, if one is acting out, one is wearing the MAGA hat and not being accosted for wearing it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's to gain internet points or to "win." There's a narrative that somehow Trump supporters are more violent and act with assaultive intent both in verbal and physical contact more so than your average citizen. 

What GROOT did was to show that it's happening all over, and on both sides, as you yourself mention in a previous post. Unfortunately, the general narrative of the PSF is that the "deplorable" few are generally Trump supporters, and that chances are, if one is acting out, one is wearing the MAGA hat and not being accosted for wearing it.  
This particular thread is about the anthem, and the (IMO) absurd response to people who somehow don't respect it. GROOT posted a video that had nothing to do with that. In another thread, maybe, but I still hate this idea that you have to respond to something bad with something bad the other side did. I won't spend any more time than now to argue that Trump foments violent behavior, and it's not just a narrative. And the responses from the other side are in direct response of this (they are wrong too).  I don't have the time to argue, and if you don't recognize it, you are willfully ignoring the facts.

This particular thread is about the anthem, and the (IMO) absurd response to people who somehow don't respect it. GROOT posted a video that had nothing to do with that. In another thread, maybe, but I still hate this idea that you have to respond to something bad with something bad the other side did. I won't spend any more time than now to argue that Trump foments violent behavior, and it's not just a narrative. And the responses from the other side are in direct response of this (they are wrong too).  I don't have the time to argue, and if you don't recognize it, you are willfully ignoring the facts.
You don't have time to argue but you're going to issue a declarative unsupported by anything but media narrative. 

Sounds like a waste of my time to have even read it. Thanks. Good day.  

To wit, and this this funny. 

You don't have time to argue, but you have time to come into a thread, lament what GROOT did, and then make the EXACT ON-POINT COMMENT stemming from the EXACT SAME ARGUMENT that GROOT was looking to rebut. 

But he shouldn't have done that. Sounds fair!

Cheers!  

You don't have time to argue but you're going to issue a declarative unsupported by anything but media narrative. 

Sounds like a waste of my time to have even read it. Thanks. Good day.  
My declarative statement was in direct response to something you said. What point would it make for me to make the same argument that has gone on for nearly 3 years? I don't have the time, nor would my arguments do anything to change anyone's mind. Secondly, you obviously didn't read what I said. This thread was about how people feel about the anthem, not how they feel about Trump. I addressed that. I guess if every individual thread is meant to devolve into "liberals did it too", then we should combine them all into one. 

You don't have time to argue, but you have time to come into a thread
You got me there by the way. But I read this boards, and nothing every comes from arguing in circles over and over again. I used to feel differently, but these are different times. So yeah, probably not fair of me to jump in every once in a while to vent, without fully participating.  

My declarative statement was in direct response to something you said. What point would it make for me to make the same argument that has gone on for nearly 3 years? I don't have the time, nor would my arguments do anything to change anyone's mind. Secondly, you obviously didn't read what I said. This thread was about how people feel about the anthem, not how they feel about Trump. I addressed that. I guess if every individual thread is meant to devolve into "liberals did it too", then we should combine them all into one. 
Fair enough. I guess if we're limiting it to the anthem, then the distinction stands. I would posit that these threads tend to bleed into one another, much like judicial doctrines. Narratives are sort of overriding and each individual topic seemingly is subsumed in the overall tone and tenor of the board. I can see why GROOT posted what he posted -- I can also see your distinction and subsequent disapproval of that. Perhaps I can be a bridge here instead of fueling the flames and say that you're likely looking at the board in two very distinct and separate ways. He might be looking aggregately and thinking his post is relevant, you might be looking at the topic and thinking quite the contrary. 

You got me there by the way. But I read this boards, and nothing every comes from arguing in circles over and over again. I used to feel differently, but these are different times. So yeah, probably not fair of me to jump in every once in a while to vent, without fully participating.  
I don't think that's necessarily so, but if you feel like they're just circles, then the discretion, of course, is with you. You quickly allowed me to see your distinction, so there was a definite sort of rapprochement there (yeah, I cribbed an IR word).  

You dont lurk very much if you think threads exist in here that aren't about Trump. The VERY FIRST post in reply to you was all about Trump. It's an obsession. 

https://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/superior-man-believed-he-was-acting-on-trump-s-orders/article_2a8b171a-374c-54d2-af7f-076cbd489bdf.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Oh lord

The attorney for a 39-year-old man charged with assaulting a child who didn't take his hat off for the national anthemsays his client, compromised by a traumatic brain injury, believes he was acting on an order from President Donald Trump. 

Superior resident Curt Brockway was charged Monday with felony assault on a minor. His defense attorney, Lance Jasper, told the Missoulian Wednesday the president's "rhetoric" contributed to the U.S. Army veteran's disposition when he choke-slammed a 13-year-old, fracturing his skull, at the Mineral County fairgrounds on Aug. 3.

"His commander in chief is telling people that if they kneel, they should be fired, or if they burn a flag, they should be punished," Jasper said. "He certainly didn't understand it was a crime."

The attorney for a 39-year-old man charged with assaulting a child who didn't take his hat off for the national anthemsays his client, compromised by a traumatic brain injury, believes he was acting on an order from President Donald Trump. 

Superior resident Curt Brockway was charged Monday with felony assault on a minor. His defense attorney, Lance Jasper, told the Missoulian Wednesday the president's "rhetoric" contributed to the U.S. Army veteran's disposition when he choke-slammed a 13-year-old, fracturing his skull, at the Mineral County fairgrounds on Aug. 3.

"His commander in chief is telling people that if they kneel, they should be fired, or if they burn a flag, they should be punished," Jasper said. "He certainly didn't understand it was a crime."
Can we at least all agree that this guy shouldn't be allowed to own a gun?

This guy is a perfect example of why I think Trump needs to be more careful with what he says or just shut up completely.  This is why I place a certain amount of blame on him for events like this.  I also acknowledge that it's not just Trump and comes from people on the other side.  I choose to hold my President to a higher standard than those other people though.

This guy is a perfect example of why I think Trump needs to be more careful with what he says or just shut up completely.  This is why I place a certain amount of blame on him for events like this.  I also acknowledge that it's not just Trump and comes from people on the other side.  I choose to hold my President to a higher standard than those other people though.
Cucksheep libflake

Interesting. This is similar to where the whole civil disobedience debate has its problems with line drawing. It's one thing when Martin Luther King writes a letter or plea from a Birmingham jail claiming righteousness and justice-seeking in '63. It's another when people riot and loot in the streets as a protest of racial discontent in 2019.

Thus it is here. It is one thing when Jones and Smith raise their fists to the heavens in 1968; it is quite another when a fencing stalwart takes a knee for gun control or a hammer thrower throws her fist to the sky in 2019.

It rings hollow, violates agreements, and reeks of mere political grievance as opposed to true momentous occasions where disobedience seems necessary and right.

Interesting. This is similar to where the whole civil disobedience debate has its problems with line drawing. It's one thing when Martin Luther King writes a letter or plea from a Birmingham jail claiming righteousness and justice-seeking in '63. It's another when people riot and loot in the streets as a protest of racial discontent in 2019.

Thus it is here. It is one thing when Jones and Smith raise their fists to the heavens in 1968; it is quite another when a fencing stalwart takes a knee for gun control or a hammer thrower throws her fist to the sky in 2019.

It rings hollow, violates agreements, and reeks of mere political grievance as opposed to true momentous occasions where disobedience seems necessary and right.
That’s certainly a view some are taking.  Notably, it’s also a view some took in ‘63 and 1968. 

That’s certainly a view some are taking.  Notably, it’s also a view some took in ‘63 and 1968. 
Sure, there's that. We're line-drawing once we go down the path of non-adherence to law. If positive law is not ascendant at all times, or is constantly under duress from challenge, then surely there are crimes that must be permitted logically. The question becomes where to draw the line, then.

Drawing the line at segregation is one thing. Drawing it at partisan complaints about gun control a wild analogical step. That is where intellectual ammunition for positive law garners support: When real world examples are reduced to policy fluff (and yes, I mean fluff when it comes to whether we adhere to positive law or break from its hold) like Race the fencer is protesting.

Sure, there's that. We're line-drawing once we go down the path of non-adherence to law. If positive law is not ascendant at all times, or is constantly under duress from challenge, then surely there are crimes that must be permitted logically. The question becomes where to draw the line, then.

Drawing the line at segregation is one thing. Drawing it at partisan complaints about gun control a wild analogical step. That is where intellectual ammunition for positive law garners support: When real world examples are reduced to policy fluff (and yes, I mean fluff when it comes to whether we adhere to positive law or break from its hold) like Race the fencer is protesting.
You may notice in reading articles about the incident that he isn’t simply protesting gun laws. 

You may notice in reading articles about the incident that he isn’t simply protesting gun laws. 
I read the article. He was protesting gun laws, immigration policy, our current president, racial justice, etc.

He was protesting smörgasbord of left-liberal dissatisfaction with the country. If you want to draw lines around his as acceptable protest despite event guidelines to the contrary, be my guest.

I read the article. He was protesting gun laws, immigration policy, our current president, racial justice, etc.

He was protesting a smorgasbord of left-liberal dissatisfaction with the country. If you want to draw lines around his as acceptable protest despite event guidelines to the contrary, be my guest.
I haven’t drawn any lines anywhere in this discussion. 

Users who are viewing this thread