What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (4 Viewers)

He turned 37 the year he played with the Bengals, and suffered a torn ACL during the offseason and underwent surgery in April 2011. Age and injury probably had as much to do with his not playing another down as anything else. How many WRs are productive after the age of 37? Father time catches up with everyone.
Facts are meaningless to people that already have their minds made up.  There's about 10,000 examples of this in this forum.

He turned 37 the year he played with the Bengals, and suffered a torn ACL during the offseason and underwent surgery in April 2011. Age and injury probably had as much to do with his not playing another down as anything else. How many WRs are productive after the age of 37? Father time catches up with everyone.
lol I'm SHOCKED you couldn't find this article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1287123-terrell-owens-stuns-critics-with-incredible-40-yard-dash-time

Terrell Owens blew everyone away today when the veteran receiver ran a 40-yard dash in less than 4.5 seconds, according to ESPN's Mike Sando. Bear in mind that T.O. is 38 years old, measured in at 6'3" and 224 pounds and is coming off surgery to repair a torn ACL.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/jan/01/nfl-week-17-colin-kaepernick-mpst-impactful?CMP=share_btn_tw

The man who wasn't there: 2017's most impactful player was Colin Kaepernick

If we’re being honest about 2017’s most impactful player then we have to say it was the quarterback who was deemed toxic for the crime of making us think [...]

Kaepernick had already changed football in the summer of 2016 when he refused to stand for the national anthem. His plea for the nation to start a conversation about race moved other players to speak out as well, breaking through an unwritten edict that football players should be seen but not heard. By sitting he freed others to take stands they wouldn’t have dared to make.

He paid for this with his career. It wasn’t hard to see the sacrifice he was making. When the 49ers didn’t re-sign him last winter, the rest of the NFL soon followed. No team seemed willing to take a chance on a quarterback who awakened so many players and outraged fans who couldn’t understand how an athlete refused to stand for the anthem. Seattle considered him for a backup quarterback job, Baltimore’s coaches seemed interested in signing him only to be refused by the team’s owner who polled fans and decided he was too radioactive to add to the roster. [...]

The longer Kaepernick goes unsigned the less likely it seems he will play again in the NFL, this despite the fact he is probably better than two-thirds of the quarterbacks in the league. Few around the NFL believe he should be sitting out. But even if he never throws another pass he will have impacted the league in ways that many of the other stars can’t. He made a football season about things other than football. He started a conversation and then kept it going.

In the end, that will be the enduring memory of 2017 – not a tackle or a touchdown. A sport that needed awakening is a little more socially conscious heading into 2018. Maybe someday we will look back at the four months that made up the 2017 season and say this was the year that football finally found a soul.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/jan/01/nfl-week-17-colin-kaepernick-mpst-impactful?CMP=share_btn_tw

The man who wasn't there: 2017's most impactful player was Colin Kaepernick

If we’re being honest about 2017’s most impactful player then we have to say it was the quarterback who was deemed toxic for the crime of making us think [...]

Kaepernick had already changed football in the summer of 2016 when he refused to stand for the national anthem. His plea for the nation to start a conversation about race moved other players to speak out as well, breaking through an unwritten edict that football players should be seen but not heard. By sitting he freed others to take stands they wouldn’t have dared to make.

He paid for this with his career. It wasn’t hard to see the sacrifice he was making. When the 49ers didn’t re-sign him last winter, the rest of the NFL soon followed. No team seemed willing to take a chance on a quarterback who awakened so many players and outraged fans who couldn’t understand how an athlete refused to stand for the anthem. Seattle considered him for a backup quarterback job, Baltimore’s coaches seemed interested in signing him only to be refused by the team’s owner who polled fans and decided he was too radioactive to add to the roster. [...]

The longer Kaepernick goes unsigned the less likely it seems he will play again in the NFL, this despite the fact he is probably better than two-thirds of the quarterbacks in the league. Few around the NFL believe he should be sitting out. But even if he never throws another pass he will have impacted the league in ways that many of the other stars can’t. He made a football season about things other than football. He started a conversation and then kept it going.

In the end, that will be the enduring memory of 2017 – not a tackle or a touchdown. A sport that needed awakening is a little more socially conscious heading into 2018. Maybe someday we will look back at the four months that made up the 2017 season and say this was the year that football finally found a soul.
:violin:

Snowflake Bills employee leaves team after almost 30 years because kneeling during a song makes him super sad.Bills respond by making playoffs for first time since 1999.

Maybe you guys are right.  There could be something to this idea of ridding your organization of immature me-first crybabies, like people who can’t accept their coworker’s right to peaceful protest.

Just want to point out that despite anthem protests and concussion worries, the NFL is losing viewers and ratings cries by Trump are 100% fake news. The NFL  increased in popularity this year as 37 of the top-50 most watched broadcasts were from NFL games, up from 28 the previous year.

Interestingly enough, not a single scripted show made the top-50. It was all sports or live events.

Just want to point out that despite anthem protests and concussion worries, the NFL is losing viewers and ratings cries by Trump are 100% fake news. The NFL  increased in popularity this year as 37 of the top-50 most watched broadcasts were from NFL games, up from 28 the previous year.

Interestingly enough, not a single scripted show made the top-50. It was all sports or live events.
How can it be fake news if it is true that their ratings are down from 2015 highs; ratings are down from 2016 levels by an average of nine percent. Viewership of all NFL telecasts this year has dropped by 130 million.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/20/nfls-biggest-audience-of-season-cant-save-sagging-ratings/

Last edited by a moderator:

So many people watching with mediocre QB Kaep no longer on the field. 

How can it be fake news if it is true that their ratings are down from 2015 highs; ratings are down from 2016 levels by an average of nine percent. Viewership of all NFL telecasts this year has dropped by 130 million.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/20/nfls-biggest-audience-of-season-cant-save-sagging-ratings/
Almost all TV ratings are down.  The fact remains that the NFL still dominates TV viewing overall.  It's easy to just look at the NFL ratings compared to itself year after year but you also need to look at overall TV viewing habits to make a more accurate argument.

Almost all TV ratings are down.  The fact remains that the NFL still dominates TV viewing overall.  It's easy to just look at the NFL ratings compared to itself year after year but you also need to look at overall TV viewing habits to make a more accurate argument.
Whatever makes you feel better.  :thumbup:

Whatever makes you feel better.  :thumbup:
This is where I get confused about all the complaints on here recently.  The Trump thread has turned into crap now with bickering about how there can't be serious discussions.

I post some real information and I get a response like this.  What are you adding here?  Why not actually respond with some info or solid reasoning as to why you feel I'm incorrect?  I'm starting to feel like you don't have much left so this is what you resort to.

If I'm wrong then so be it but prove me wrong.  I'll will admit to being wrong if their are facts to back it up.

This is where I get confused about all the complaints on here recently.  The Trump thread has turned into crap now with bickering about how there can't be serious discussions.

I post some real information and I get a response like this.  What are you adding here?  Why not actually respond with some info or solid reasoning as to why you feel I'm incorrect?  I'm starting to feel like you don't have much left so this is what you resort to.

If I'm wrong then so be it but prove me wrong.  I'll will admit to being wrong if their are facts to back it up.
 I responded to travvdoggs post in which he wrote....

"Just want to point out that despite anthem protests and concussion worries, the NFL is losing viewers and ratings cries by Trump are 100% fake news."

I followed up with FACTS that show that claim by him is false and that it isn't fake news. 

And you think this post below by you is adding things to this forum?

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/753767-the-trump-years/?do=findComment&comment=20735359

:lmao:  

I responded to travvdoggs post in which he wrote....

"Just want to point out that despite anthem protests and concussion worries, the NFL is losing viewers and ratings cries by Trump are 100% fake news."

I followed up with FACTS that show that claim by him is false and that it isn't fake news. 

And you think this post below by you is adding things to this forum?

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/753767-the-trump-years/?do=findComment&comment=20735359

I suppose my post was covering things in a different light.  I've been involved in a thread on another site that is claiming the end of the NFL and I've been arguing that it's just not true.  My debate spilled into here because it isn't true at all.

It is true that numbers have dropped but the whole Kaepernick and protesting crap is just a part of the overall issue.  I think it's only a small part too.  Ratings have been dropping and there are multiple variables.  It's affected all of TV viewing in general.

My issue with you, and what's been going on a lot lately here, is that instead of giving a solid response right away like you just did you gave a snarky response.  Why not just give a good answer the first time?

Kyle Griffin‏ @kylegriffin1 2h2 hours ago

The cover of this week's New Yorker, “In Creative Battle,” by Mark Ulriksen. https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cover-story/cover-story-2018-01-15?mbid=social_twitter

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/950370306258079745

The Hill‏ @thehill 1h1 hour ago

Martin Luther King Jr. takes a knee alongside Kaepernick on New Yorker cover

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/367884-martin-luther-king-jr-takes-a-knee-on-latest-new-yorker-cover

Kyle Griffin‏ @kylegriffin1 2h2 hours ago

The cover of this week's New Yorker, “In Creative Battle,” by Mark Ulriksen. https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cover-story/cover-story-2018-01-15?mbid=social_twitter

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/950370306258079745

The Hill‏ @thehill 1h1 hour ago

Martin Luther King Jr. takes a knee alongside Kaepernick on New Yorker cover

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/367884-martin-luther-king-jr-takes-a-knee-on-latest-new-yorker-cover
Wow..Kap has lost a lot of weight. Does not look in football shape at all.

Something tells me we won't be hearing about kneeling for the anthem for a while.....clown doesn't even know our national anthem! Such disrespect!

Trump doesn't know the words to the national anthem
Indeed, this tweet summed it best IMO:

https://twitter.com/nealrogers/status/950567489817034753

That Trump spent months railing against black NFL players peacefully demonstrating during our

national anthem, only for it to be shown that he doesn’t even know the words to our national anthem…

that really just ties it all up neatly with bow, doesn’t it?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/kaepernick-responds-critics-bashed-honor-mlk-article-1.3758573

Colin Kaepernick responds to critics who bashed him for national anthem protest but are now ‘honoring’ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Colin them hypocrites.

Polarizing former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick retweeted a number of posts that called out the hypocrisy of people who previously chastised Kaepernick but are now "honoring" Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy on Monday.

Kaepernick was berated by many for peacefully protesting during the national anthem throughout the 2016 season in order to raise awareness of social injustice and police brutality. King, of course, was one of the central figures of the Civil Rights Movement and fought for equal rights through nonviolent peaceful protests.

Despite the similarities between both Kaepernick's and King's respective methods in their fight for justice, many of the same critics who scolded Kaepernick, paid tribute to King on Monday.

Fox News contributor Tomi Lahren, who once referred to Kaepernick's message as "mouth diarrhea," praised King's message of equality in a tweet posted Monday.

"Today we honor a great man with a great message. #MLKDay," Lahren wrote, including a quote from King's "I Have a Dream" speech.

Donald Trump, who said in September if Kaepernick or anyone else refused to stand during the national anthem then we need to "get that son of a ##### off the field," referred to King's dream as "our dream."

"Dr. King's dream is our dream. It is the American Dream. It's the promise stitched into the fabric of our Nation, etched into the hearts of our people, and written into the soul of humankind," Trump said in his weekly address.

The Dallas Cowboys, whose owner Jerry Jones threatened to cut any player who refused to stand for the national anthem, said they will "honor" King's legacy.

"Today we honor the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. #MLKDay," the Cowboys wrote.

Kaepernick clearly saw these hypocritical comments, and/or similar ones, and decided to retweet prominent figures in media and sports who shared a similar perspective as Kaepernick.

"Me, watching people who criticized Colin Kaepernick for his nonviolent protest post MLK quotes today," wrote ESPN's Jemele Hill, who also posted an image of people looking perplexed.

"Crazy. The same people who lambasted @Kaepernick7 a traitor, agitator and disrespectful for his non-violent peaceful protest against injustice, are out here sharing Dr. King quotes. Mind blowing. #MLKDay," Francis Maxwell, a producer for The Young Turks network, wrote.

"Isn't it interesting seeing all of the #nfl teams who didn't hire @Kaepernick7 tweet quotes of Dr. Martin Luther King about nonviolent protest? #MLKDay," nine-year NBA veteran and published author Ehtan Thomas wrote.

Kaepernick, himself, posted an excerpt from King's "Letter From a Birmingham Jail" in which he writes he has “been gravely disappointed with the white moderate” and cautions “shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will."

Well, so much for Kaep and the kneeling protests killing viewer interest in the NFL...

https://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/952985551027818496

Brian McCarthy‏ @NFLprguy 23h23 hours ago

A whopping 46.1 million viewers witnessed the Miracle in Minneapolis Sunday. #HailMinny #NOvsMIN

What were regular season ratings?

Before you post in three weeks, we already know the Super Bowl will get good ratings.  It has nothing to do with Kaepernick, kneeling, protests, or any other political nonsense.

What were regular season ratings?

Before you post in three weeks, we already know the Super Bowl will get good ratings.  It has nothing to do with Kaepernick, kneeling, protests, or any other political nonsense.
The NFL is still dominating total viewership.  The issue is that fewer people are watching TV overall.  You need to look at the whole picture and not just the tiny window of the NFL's numbers alone.

squistion said:
Well, so much for Kaep and the kneeling protests killing viewer interest in the NFL...

https://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/952985551027818496

Brian McCarthy‏ @NFLprguy 23h23 hours ago

A whopping 46.1 million viewers witnessed the Miracle in Minneapolis Sunday. #HailMinny #NOvsMIN
The kneeling was pretty much a non-story by mid season and a total non-story in the playoffs.  Only a handful were still kneeling after 8 games and no players in the playoffs have knelt.  No Lions players ever knelt.  Does not matter to me if the whole team sits or kneels as I never watch the anthem.

squistion said:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/kaepernick-responds-critics-bashed-honor-mlk-article-1.3758573

Colin Kaepernick responds to critics who bashed him for national anthem protest but are now ‘honoring’ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Colin them hypocrites.

Polarizing former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick retweeted a number of posts that called out the hypocrisy of people who previously chastised Kaepernick but are now "honoring" Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy on Monday.

Kaepernick was berated by many for peacefully protesting during the national anthem throughout the 2016 season in order to raise awareness of social injustice and police brutality. King, of course, was one of the central figures of the Civil Rights Movement and fought for equal rights through nonviolent peaceful protests.

Despite the similarities between both Kaepernick's and King's respective methods in their fight for justice, many of the same critics who scolded Kaepernick, paid tribute to King on Monday.

Fox News contributor Tomi Lahren, who once referred to Kaepernick's message as "mouth diarrhea," praised King's message of equality in a tweet posted Monday.

"Today we honor a great man with a great message. #MLKDay," Lahren wrote, including a quote from King's "I Have a Dream" speech.

Donald Trump, who said in September if Kaepernick or anyone else refused to stand during the national anthem then we need to "get that son of a ##### off the field," referred to King's dream as "our dream."

"Dr. King's dream is our dream. It is the American Dream. It's the promise stitched into the fabric of our Nation, etched into the hearts of our people, and written into the soul of humankind," Trump said in his weekly address.

The Dallas Cowboys, whose owner Jerry Jones threatened to cut any player who refused to stand for the national anthem, said they will "honor" King's legacy.

"Today we honor the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. #MLKDay," the Cowboys wrote.

Kaepernick clearly saw these hypocritical comments, and/or similar ones, and decided to retweet prominent figures in media and sports who shared a similar perspective as Kaepernick.

"Me, watching people who criticized Colin Kaepernick for his nonviolent protest post MLK quotes today," wrote ESPN's Jemele Hill, who also posted an image of people looking perplexed.

"Crazy. The same people who lambasted @Kaepernick7 a traitor, agitator and disrespectful for his non-violent peaceful protest against injustice, are out here sharing Dr. King quotes. Mind blowing. #MLKDay," Francis Maxwell, a producer for The Young Turks network, wrote.

"Isn't it interesting seeing all of the #nfl teams who didn't hire @Kaepernick7 tweet quotes of Dr. Martin Luther King about nonviolent protest? #MLKDay," nine-year NBA veteran and published author Ehtan Thomas wrote.

Kaepernick, himself, posted an excerpt from King's "Letter From a Birmingham Jail" in which he writes he has “been gravely disappointed with the white moderate” and cautions “shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will."
Poor poor kap

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2018/01/details-on-colin-kaepernick-nearly-completing-his-1-million-pledge-plans-for-the-final-donations-video/

Details on Colin Kaepernick Nearly Completing His $1 Million Pledge & Plans For The Final Donations (Video)

Colin Kaepernick is a man of his word. He sacrificed his NFL career to take up the fight for social justice and in the past year, he has donated $900,000 to different social causes in communities across the country.

Colin Kaepernick is no longer just a disenfranchised ex-NFL quarterback. He has grown into a much larger figure with a much bigger purpose.  He has transcended football and become a symbol, an icon, a hero in the fight against racial injustice and oppression in the community.  And throughout 2017, he demonstrated his authentic passion for people who do not have a voice for themselves through his work in the community.

Kaepernick plans to donate the final $100,000 in 2018 to complete his $1 million pledge, but the video he posted on Instagram reveals that his presence in the community is just as significant as the donations he contributed.  Flip the page to watch the video on his plans for the remaining donations (at above link).

I'm proud to say that as part of my Million Dollar Pledge, I've donated $900,000 to 31 organizations fighting toward social justice. Its been a privilege to be able to do my part in helping organizations like Mother’s Against Police Brutality to provide comfort and support for families when law enforcement kills a community member, Helping Oppressed Mothers Endure to provide furniture to single mothers and Meals on Wheels who feed those less fortunate - just to highlight a few. Hearing about how each organization utilized the donations reaffirms that people doing good work need more support. As we welcome 2018, we also see that our work is not done. Tomorrow, I'll be announcing the final $100,000 to complete my Million Dollar Pledge. I'm excited to share this last round of donations with all of you. You can see all 31 donations I’ve made so far and what they used the money for on http://www.kaepernick7.com #MillionDollarPledge #10for10

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2018/01/details-on-colin-kaepernick-nearly-completing-his-1-million-pledge-plans-for-the-final-donations-video/

Details on Colin Kaepernick Nearly Completing His $1 Million Pledge & Plans For The Final Donations (Video)

Colin Kaepernick is a man of his word. He sacrificed his NFL career to take up the fight for social justice and in the past year, he has donated $900,000 to different social causes in communities across the country.

Colin Kaepernick is no longer just a disenfranchised ex-NFL quarterback. He has grown into a much larger figure with a much bigger purpose.  He has transcended football and become a symbol, an icon, a hero in the fight against racial injustice and oppression in the community.  And throughout 2017, he demonstrated his authentic passion for people who do not have a voice for themselves through his work in the community.

Kaepernick plans to donate the final $100,000 in 2018 to complete his $1 million pledge, but the video he posted on Instagram reveals that his presence in the community is just as significant as the donations he contributed.  Flip the page to watch the video on his plans for the remaining donations (at above link).
I told you he is  better off being a martyr than a backup NFL QB..good for him!  Much longer career doing this than bouncing around as a backup QB.

Shaun King‏ @ShaunKing 17m17 minutes ago

I'm told the @Eagles will be signing a quarterback - to serve as a backup to Nick Foles.

My best guess is that he will be a scrub with no playoff experience, few, if any starts or NFL wins.

Few of us will have ever heard of him.
26/33 352/3 against one of the league's best defense. PLEASE tell us again why it's so important what backup QB they signed.

Users who are viewing this thread