What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Caleb Williams, CHI (1 Viewer)

They're building a new domed stadium in Chicago for the Bears.

The Bears confirmed Monday they shifted focus to a new stadium in the city.

A source familiar with the plan told NBC Chicago the new priority will be a publicly-owned domed stadium near Soldier Field. The Bears plan to invest more than $2 billion of private funding into the project.

Crain's Chicago Business reported in early February that multiple sources in government and close to the Bears said that talks of building in downtown Chicago were a sincere goal. Crains' Greg Hinz said the Bears will look to construct a new state-of-the-art domed stadium in the parking lot south of their current home of Soldier Field, adding in the Feb. 2 article that plans could go public "soon."

A source familiar with the plan told NBC Chicago the new priority will be a publicly-owned domed stadium near Soldier Field. The Bears plan to invest more than $2 billion of private funding into the project.

Crain's Chicago Business reported in early February that multiple sources in government and close to the Bears said that talks of building in downtown Chicago were a sincere goal. Crains' Greg Hinz said the Bears will look to construct a new state-of-the-art domed stadium in the parking lot south of their current home of Soldier Field, adding in the Feb. 2 article that plans could go public "soon."
Haven't they "shifted focus" like 3 or 4 other times?

Classic Chicago/ Illinois power politics

Classic Chicago/ Illinois power politics
The way things happen in Illinois, Caleb will be retired before the stadium is built.

Chris Simms
Caleb Williams obviously has a ton of off-schedule acrobatic plays and a rare ability to make things happen outside the pocket. But what gets overlooked is how machine-like and precise he is making ordinary throws, and how patient he is within the pocket.

Mina Kimes
This is what really jumped out to me when I watched—he throws *so* well in structure. Question is not ability but willingness (and his hand was often forced by USC’s offensive flaws).

Chris Simms
No doubt Mina. And a bad o-line certainly forced his hand a bunch at USC

Caleb Williams hugged Matt Eberflus and Ryan Poles after his pro day (Adam Peters, Kliff Kingsbury, too) but you definitely take note of his interactions with his teammates afterward.

Note: USC linemen came up to him to essentially celebrate. Center Justin Dedich tackled him

https://twitter.com/adamjahns/status/1770520020256227761?t=Ouy0-w0uZ9YcsxXg6RC5qQ&s=19

Please insert any stupid conspiracy theory to prop up irrational hate below. ⬇️

I kind of need him to be exceptional, I have allowed far too much of my life's meaning to be influenced by the vagaries of NFL sundays, it isn't right, but it is. I want to love him, really I do - but I wasn't blown away by this pro day (not that that really matters, I WAS blown away by johnny manziel's pro day) it looked like every throw was a touch pass. I just wanted to see a couple of head-high lasers on out-breaking routes. Also, he measured exactly 6' - right? That concerns me a bit. Someone, please tell me everything is going to be fine.

I kind of need him to be exceptional, I have allowed far too much of my life's meaning to be influenced by the vagaries of NFL sundays, it isn't right, but it is. I want to love him, really I do - but I wasn't blown away by this pro day (not that that really matters, I WAS blown away by johnny manziel's pro day) it looked like every throw was a touch pass. I just wanted to see a couple of head-high lasers on out-breaking routes. Also, he measured exactly 6' - right? That concerns me a bit. Someone, please tell me everything is going to be fine.

Like Fields he's slow to get rid of the ball. 3.44 seconds in 2022 and 3.21 in 2023. Slower than Justin. Like Fields he gets sacked waiting too long to throw the ball. He took 66 sacks the last two seasons, way more than any other top prospect. Associated with that issue and also like Fields, he fumbles a lot. 16 fumbles last year. No worries, everything is going to be just fine.

Like Fields he's slow to get rid of the ball. 3.44 seconds in 2022 and 3.21 in 2023. Slower than Justin. Like Fields he gets sacked waiting too long to throw the ball. He took 66 sacks the last two seasons, way more than any other top prospect. Associated with that issue and also like Fields, he fumbles a lot. 16 fumbles last year. No worries, everything is going to be just fine.
Caleb probably threw more in-rhythm passes than Fields did last year.

That time to pass number is skewed because he plays hero ball. That number creates the idea that he is a see-it, throw-it type passer, like Fields. Which he is not.

Why do you post misinformation?
Drake Maye was sacked 69 times the last two years.
Caleb Williams was sacked 63 times the last two years.

Last edited:

Why do you post misinformation?
Drake Maye was sacked 69 times the last two years.

I said "top prospect". Maye is QB6 to me. :)

Let me start by saying Williams is my favorite QB prospect for the fantasy rookie draft this year, and he is in a tier by himself imo. Also, it's only really my second year trying to go deep on QB tape as I'm in more SF leagues now, so far from an expert at this let alone one with a proven track record. But I think the bolded from each post are concerns, and likely related to one another. From what I watched the weakest part of his game was short passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, especially the middle of the field; mostly what we'd actually consider check downs, drag routes, and pop routes. I don't watch much of college football in the regular season, but from watching cut ups and condensed games, I can see an argument part of this was due to USCs game planning and play calling. I do however think it's also correlated to how difficult it is for shorter QBs to make these short yardage throws from the pocket over gigantic linemen.

For Williams specifically, it naturally resulted in a tendency to hold the ball, avoid his weakness with throwing to the short field where he can't see/get a good angle, and embrace his aggressive nature continue looking downfield, and wind up taking more sacks. On the flip side I think there are a few things we can project out of this.
1. I think this is coachable and something he can definitely work to improve on.
2. I think it can be schemed away from by a good OC by pushing check downs to the flats and outside the numbers. And probably most importantly:
3. One of Williams strengths is working outside of structure and when plays break down. So if he can get a better feel for pressure and know when to escape the pocket, he'll be able to improve his vision and angles to the short mid field area and still make plays there at a higher percentage than he would have remaining in the pocket.

I suppose we could even add in a 4, which would be another thing he showed he can do in the tape I saw; throw the ball away. I think there were times he took a sack when he should have thrown it away, but plenty of times he did make a good call to get rid of it rather than lose yardage. Overall, I thought he did well protecting the ball and avoiding turnovers, especially considering his aggressiveness and chasing big plays.

He has some shortcomings and flaws, but fewer than any other QB I've watched yet and I've made it through 5 now, so I doubt anyone I watch after this will leap frog him. I don't think any of these warts would push me off of taking him 1.01 in SF regardless of landing spot. And probably late 1st/early 2nd in 1QB leagues where I have a need at the position.

Let me start by saying Williams is my favorite QB prospect for the fantasy rookie draft this year, and he is in a tier by himself imo.

Good post. For the record, I was having a little fun with Chreesto since he suffers from Neurotic Bears Fan Syndrome. I'm also on the record saying the Bears would be stupid not to draft him.

Adam Jahns
Bears GM Ryan Poles on USC QB Caleb Williams (1/2): "When you talk to his teammates, they don't like him, they love him. His leadership, how he brings people together. He's intentional with his leadership. Same goes with the staff."

Bears GM Ryan Poles on USC QB Caleb Williams (2/2): "...I'm having a hard time finding a person that doesn't like him or even love him and thinks that he can reach the highest limits. The feedback's been good."

Hopefully Ryan Poles learned a thing or two from Sonny Weaver Jr.

He needs to phone Caleb Williams next and ask him if any of his teammates attended his birthday party.

Last edited:
The Athletic’s Adam Jahn’s reports the Bears will host Caleb Williams for a visit “in the first week of April.”
The Bears will also get a chance to run their medical evaluations of Williams, who opted not to disclose his medical information to every team at the NFL Scouting Combine. With Justin Fields now in Pittsburgh, Williams, who was already expected to be drafted with the No. 1 overall pick, is all but a lock to land in the Windy City. The Bears will likely hold formal meetings with the other top quarterbacks in the draft, but barring any unforeseen changes, we’d expect Williams to be the first player selected come draft night.

Ted Nguyen
Caleb Williams slides away from pressure and throws this beauty across the grain vs man coverage

Lucky
Arm talent aside, please tell me another trait that Caleb Williams has over JJ McCarthy…

Ted Nguyen
elusiveness, accuracy, touch, ability to throw left

And I like JJ. But come on, let’s be real.

Caleb's arm angles are nuts

The audacity to even think about making this throw

The amount of people that don’t understand this is an incredibly difficult throw play too much madden.

Users who are viewing this thread