What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commish/Platform Help needed (1 Viewer)

wlwiles

Footballguy
Looking for ideas/advice on how to handle something in a league I commish. 12 team Superflex Redraft, and we have limit of 3 QB's per roster (not counting IR slot).

A couple of times, we've had owners that forget/shirk the rule and add a 4th QB illegally during the weekly Wed AM waiver run. The problem is that every waiver move that happens after the illegal pickup is now in jeopardy. The illegal QB was picked up by Owner A, but should have gone to Owner B, but B picked up an RB as a backup choice, and that RB should have gone to Owner C, who picked up a WR as backup, etc. The original player that Owner A dropped is now on waivers, should he go back to Owner A since I undid his illegal QB move? It's a mess having to manually reconstruct and rerun waivers from the point of the illegal move. I have to individually contact all teams in the league to find out who had what claims in since I can't see them all, and not everyone responds timely since we're all so spread out, so I'm still reconstructing on Thursday and TNF players may be involved....MESS!

Maybe the only solution is to move the league to a different platform that supports position roster limits? I don't want to lose all of our league history, but I can't figure out any solutions...

Not sure what you use, but in MFL you can limit the number of players at any position, but having one on the IR gets in the way if it doesn't count toward the 3 max.. One way you could do it is if a QB is on IR put them on the taxi squad. That wouldn't count against the max allowed i don't believe.

Looking for ideas/advice on how to handle something in a league I commish. 12 team Superflex Redraft, and we have limit of 3 QB's per roster (not counting IR slot).

A couple of times, we've had owners that forget/shirk the rule and add a 4th QB illegally during the weekly Wed AM waiver run. The problem is that every waiver move that happens after the illegal pickup is now in jeopardy. The illegal QB was picked up by Owner A, but should have gone to Owner B, but B picked up an RB as a backup choice, and that RB should have gone to Owner C, who picked up a WR as backup, etc. The original player that Owner A dropped is now on waivers, should he go back to Owner A since I undid his illegal QB move? It's a mess having to manually reconstruct and rerun waivers from the point of the illegal move. I have to individually contact all teams in the league to find out who had what claims in since I can't see them all, and not everyone responds timely since we're all so spread out, so I'm still reconstructing on Thursday and TNF players may be involved....MESS!

Maybe the only solution is to move the league to a different platform that supports position roster limits? I don't want to lose all of our league history, but I can't figure out any solutions...
Not to be unhelpful, but this is also why I stay away from positional limits. With all the grief it's causing, is it possible to just vote to do away with positional limits after this year? Could someone carry 6 QBs and it's annoying when your team only has 2 and both are injured? Sure. But that other team is very likely suffering a lot wasting so many roster spots on QBs they can't use. And in leagues I've played in, people who hoard like that tend to get ignored when seeking to trade those players. They are then forced to drop them once they realize no one will trade with them and the disadvantage they've put themselves in with roster construction. So the "situation" winds up sorting itself out.

I could understand this happening once or twice a year as someone may not be paying attention. But if this is happening every week maybe a refresher course of the rules and a good public shaming to any owner that does this. It is totally preventable if the owners just pay attention. Maybe put in a rule that carries a punishment with trying to acquire a QB when you are at the limit. If it goes through you lose the player and the ability to claim anybody for the next week.

It sucks, but if you want to stay with that website then training the owners is your best bet for a solution.

Not to be unhelpful, but this is also why I stay away from positional limits. With all the grief it's causing, is it possible to just vote to do away with positional limits after this year? Could someone carry 6 QBs and it's annoying when your team only has 2 and both are injured? Sure. But that other team is very likely suffering a lot wasting so many roster spots on QBs they can't use. And in leagues I've played in, people who hoard like that tend to get ignored when seeking to trade those players. They are then forced to drop them once they realize no one will trade with them and the disadvantage they've put themselves in with roster construction. So the "situation" winds up sorting itself out.
I like how FFPC handles this - limit of 3 QBs in the draft, but after that there are no positional limits. This is for their superflex drafts.

Not sure what you use, but in MFL you can limit the number of players at any position, but having one on the IR gets in the way if it doesn't count toward the 3 max.. One way you could do it is if a QB is on IR put them on the taxi squad. That wouldn't count against the max allowed i don't believe.
it's like this on CBS as well. if something like this happened in my league and you are able to see who should have gotten who, I'd make the changes accordingly. on CBS it's easy enough to see who bid on what after the waiver run as long as you have the option turned on to publish the full waiver report.

what system do you currently use?
Yahoo. The league is 15 years old now. We just switched to superflex, this is our first year doing it - every so often we tweak a rule just to shake things up and keep from going stale. It's a somewhat casual league, we're all former coworkers, $40 entry so it's not the most serious league in the world by any means, it's mainly just a way for us all to stay in touch. For about half these guys this is the only league they play in, so I say all that to say:

The illegal pickup of a 4th QB has only happened 4 times now this year. Twice it resulted in someone raising the flag to said "wait a minute, I wanted that guy and he picked him up illegally", and that started the whole process of reconstructing waivers. Both of those times it involved another owner who lost a QB due to injury, and also had a 2nd QB on bye that week so they had zero QB's they could start that week. The other couple times I noticed it, I just texted them, they made a drop to get compliant, and we just rolled on from there.

I think I'm probably going to go with Gally's suggestion of refresher training of the rule and a bit of public shaming if it happens again. So far we haven't had any owner break the rule twice, it's always been a new owner each time.

Stop limiting the number of qbs on a roster. Problem solved
Yeah I've been in a 12 team superflex league for years and hoarding has never been an issue. If a guy tries to corner the market and carry 4+ QBs or multiple TEs or something, no one will trade with them and they are only damaging themselves.

OP, looking at reducing bench size may be an alternate solution as well.

Stop limiting the number of qbs on a roster. Problem solved
Yeah I've been in a 12 team superflex league for years and hoarding has never been an issue. If a guy tries to corner the market and carry 4+ QBs or multiple TEs or something, no one will trade with them and they are only damaging themselves.

OP, looking at reducing bench size may be an alternate solution as well.

plus if they want 4 qbs that means they dont have that extra WR, RB, TE. let them screw up their roster

Users who are viewing this thread