What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commissioner changes schedule in the middle of the season (1 Viewer)

I really don't think it's an integrity thing, I think he's just a moron. Seriously, I think he's just kind of a dumb guy.

Evidently I missed where the commish also posted just fixing it from weeks 9-13 didn't make sense to him because it would have taken him hours to do. If I'm correct, we hadn't played anyone twice yet, at least I'm pretty sure I hadn't. If that is true, this would have been a 5 minute fix. He could have just set the last 3 weeks for us playing the teams in our division a second time, and all he would have had to do is fix 2 weeks with whatever teams we hadn't played yet.

It's too late to change the schedule now.

If it were me...well I wouldn't have screwed up the schedule to begin with (so I say)...but I would either not change anything at all, OR I would get rid of divisions altogether and overall standings (W/L, points scored as tie breaker)

Divisions aren't conducive to good playoff seeding anyway, IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the team going from 4-4 to 1-7.

This was a very, very surprising decision by the commish; a guy who posts on here regularly and is fairly well known in the dynasty community. My team actually deserves to be pretty bad, its a rebuild and got really lucky to be 4-4. Though part of me would have loved to make the playoffs with the emergence of Gio and Reed, and return of Percy. I could do some damage.
I was just thinking "I bet the team that went from 4-4 to 1-7 is either really pissed or secretly thrilled that he now has the inside track at the #1 overall rookie pick".

Any commissioner that thinks this is a reasonable decision (w/o consulting rest of the league first) doesn't deserve to be a commissioner IMO.

Stuff like this makes you wonder what he'd do next. I know I wouldn't be comfortable returning. Most leagues will have a bump(s) in the road, but changing a schedule mid-season is out of bounds. Seriously does any reasonable person think this is a good idea??? I think a statement from the commissioner "Sorry guys the schedule format was overlooked. Will play special attention before next season" would suffice.

Edit: Being a 'dynasty regular' means nothing here. Yes it is nice to have someone that's been a member here for a bit of time. I remember that moron 'kremenull' being a 'dynasty regular' and he scammed thousands from posters here. Sad to say I've ran into more bad commissioners here than I care to admit.

Evidently I missed where the commish also posted just fixing it from weeks 9-13 didn't make sense to him because it would have taken him hours to do. If I'm correct, we hadn't played anyone twice yet, at least I'm pretty sure I hadn't. If that is true, this would have been a 5 minute fix. He could have just set the last 3 weeks for us playing the teams in our division a second time, and all he would have had to do is fix 2 weeks with whatever teams we hadn't played yet.
Fixing the schedule without changing the first 8 weeks would likely be very difficult or impossible. It's certainly not a 5-minute fix. (Try it.)

But changing the finished games is wrong.

This was a very, very surprising decision by the commish; a guy who posts on here regularly and is fairly well known in the dynasty community. My team actually deserves to be pretty bad, its a rebuild and got really lucky to be 4-4. Though part of me would have loved to make the playoffs with the emergence of Gio and Reed, and return of Percy. I could do some damage.
Who is the commish?

Who is the commish?
It's either JPeso or his friend. They share several teams, I'm in a couple leagues with them.

I was just thinking "I bet the team that went from 4-4 to 1-7 is either really pissed or secretly thrilled that he now has the inside track at the #1 overall rookie pick".
Its just a dumb decision. At 4-4, despite a lower than average points for, I still had an improving team (Gio playing better, Reed emerging, Percy returning). Moving to 1-7 doesn't help, because I can't make the playoffs and have a shot at any cash there. It should, however, be an incentive for whichever team takes over after I leave once the year is over.

Who is the commish?
It's either JPeso or his friend. They share several teams, I'm in a couple leagues with them.
I'd be quite surprised if it were the former. JMO He should know better. Haven't noticed him around lately. I've played in a couple leagues with him as a fellow owner. Probably one of the most active guys -- at least offering trades -- I've played with.

I wouldn't care who the person is really. No matter the intentions, IMO someone that would just up and change a schedule (w/o a unanimous league vote) shouldn't be commish of a league. Something like that is common sense.

Fixing the schedule without changing the first 8 weeks would likely be very difficult or impossible. It's certainly not a 5-minute fix. (Try it.)

Actually it would be an easy 5 minute fix, assuming I am right that no one had played anyone yet for a second time. I know I hadn't played anyone yet a second time. And I have experience setting schedules on MFL, I run 4 leagues of my own.

Assuming what I just said, he could have reserved the final 3 weeks of the season for playing the 3 teams in your division a second time. That left fixing weeks 9 and 10, and just researching from the existing schedule who we hadn't played yet.

And even if my assumption is wrong and someone did play a team twice already that wasn't in his division, fixing the divisions to match the schedule would have been a more reasonable solution. The whole problem arose because he insisted on randomizing divisions every year and then the dolt forgot to reset the schedule after he did that. The division shifts weren't from any set formula, they were totally random. Rearranging divisions based on the posted schedule certainly would have been more reasonable than what he did. At least it wouldn't have changed any history to this point.

Actually it would be an easy 5 minute fix, assuming I am right that no one had played anyone yet for a second time. I know I hadn't played anyone yet a second time. And I have experience setting schedules on MFL, I run 4 leagues of my own.

Assuming what I just said, he could have reserved the final 3 weeks of the season for playing the 3 teams in your division a second time. That left fixing weeks 9 and 10, and just researching from the existing schedule who we hadn't played yet.

And even if my assumption is wrong and someone did play a team twice already that wasn't in his division, fixing the divisions to match the schedule would have been a more reasonable solution. The whole problem arose because he insisted on randomizing divisions every year and then the dolt forgot to reset the schedule after he did that. The division shifts weren't from any set formula, they were totally random. Rearranging divisions based on the posted schedule certainly would have been more reasonable than what he did. At least it wouldn't have changed any history to this point.
The first three games of the season and last three games of the season should really be division games anyway, since (for the most part, but it's changed a little) bye weeks don't effect the important division games.

Since the divisions are just randomized each year, and thus don't mean a hell of a lot, like I said earlier why didn't he just do away with the divisions this year, and just have the top 6 teams make the playoffs? A far simpler and more palatable solution.

I can now see this league fall apart - id seriously consider quitting and it seems jonboltz already will be.

It's too late to change the schedule now.

If it were me...well I wouldn't have screwed up the schedule to begin with (so I say)...but I would either not change anything at all, OR I would get rid of divisions altogether and overall standings (W/L, points scored as tie breaker)

Divisions aren't conducive to good playoff seeding anyway, IMO
Disagree- divisions keep more teams trying hard longer, which is arguably the most important characteristic of a league.

I don't think this would be an easy 5 minute fix. I think you're looking at a 1 to 3 hour fix. Manually setting five weeks of a schedule would take some time even though three of the teams each team plays would be straight forward.

Still, I think a 1 to 3 hour investment of time to correct the mistake is worthwhile and 1 to 3 hours isn't really that much time.

Mistakes happen though. I don't think people should be critical of the mistake happening though the criticism of how the commissioner handled it is certainly warranted.

Who the #### cares that the division matchups got pooched? Minor glitch, especially compared to changing results. Never go full #######.

I had a commish change scoring one year in a league. He was loaded at receiver and his running backs sucked so he changed it to PPR.

The only thing you can do is ride it out and find a new league next year.
Mid season? I would have s*#t a brick over that.

I can definitely see being upset about it, especially the guy that went from 4-4 to 1-7, but in reality this where he would have been anyway, right? It's not like you change your starting lineup based upon who your fantasy opponent is.

The only other thing the commish can do would be to let the game results stand and rearrange the divisions based on the schedule, which might not be a bad option.
If my team isn't that strong I'll change my lineup according to who I'm playing. Not often, but let's say my team's at best "average" and I'm playing a powerhouse - I'll put in a boom/bust WR, RB, LB, DL, etc over a steady guy who will get his average but probably not blow up.

*Edited to remove some lines*

Update, he pretty much said FU to everyone, updated the standings and said in his post the matchups stay changed, without any input from the rest of the league or vote. It's also not the first time he did something shady this season. A few weeks ago, after learning that he messed up setting the time schedule for FCFS wrong, he changed the time blind bids processed to 2 hours earlier without notifying anyone. A few asked what happened and he never bothered to respond. I didn't think it was that big a deal at the time, but now after this latest BS there is strong question of his integrity.
Hadn't read this when I posted earlier. New advice - If you haven't paid - don't pay. If you have paid then get out as soon as the season's over. This Commish is a moron for responding like he did to a problem that affects other people.

I wasn't on board with "shadyridr" earlier, but after this I think it's the best response yet:

:lmao: some ####in people are so stupid

It took until week 9 for anyone to notice that the schedule was wrong? That is wierd.

Only thing to do is to randomize the schedule correctly. Too bad it made your record worse. But it could have made your record better. It's kind of crazy this wasn't noticed sooner but in my opinion you've got to reset to what the rules dictate it should have been and accept the consequences.

Update, he pretty much said FU to everyone, updated the standings and said in his post the matchups stay changed, without any input from the rest of the league or vote. It's also not the first time he did something shady this season. A few weeks ago, after learning that he messed up setting the time schedule for FCFS wrong, he changed the time blind bids processed to 2 hours earlier without notifying anyone. A few asked what happened and he never bothered to respond. I didn't think it was that big a deal at the time, but now after this latest BS there is strong question of his integrity.
Hadn't read this when I posted earlier. New advice - If you haven't paid - don't pay. If you have paid then get out as soon as the season's over. This Commish is a moron for responding like he did to a problem that affects other people.

I wasn't on board with "shadyridr" earlier, but after this I think it's the best response yet:

Don't pay? C'mon. How does an entire league not notice this sooner?

It took until week 9 for anyone to notice that the schedule was wrong? That is wierd.

Only thing to do is to randomize the schedule correctly. Too bad it made your record worse. But it could have made your record better. It's kind of crazy this wasn't noticed sooner but in my opinion you've got to reset to what the rules dictate it should have been and accept the consequences.
Why is that the only thing to do? How about just living with the jacked up schedule... because its no big deal? Little better than negating the first half of the season and all the lineup decisions. In what world does the schedule matter even close to enough to do this?

Don't pay? C'mon. How does an entire league not notice this sooner?
When you take into account how the Commish responded (or didn't respond to the league) and other things he'd done? Yeah, I don't think I'd pay. But, unlike the Commish, I'd try to chat with other owners so as not to screw them.

I pretty much agree with mbuehner above - it's not a big deal when speaking only of the schedule. My problem is with the Commish and how he handles issues (if what the poster above said about him is true).

Why is that the only thing to do? How about just living with the jacked up schedule... because its no big deal? Little better than negating the first half of the season and all the lineup decisions. In what world does the schedule matter even close to enough to do this?
It could be left as is. I don't see how it affects lineup decisions but I'll admit that is a philosophy thing (always start your strongest lineup).

I just think if you're going to have divisions, and you're going to have the schedule based around those divisions, then it kind of matters what the schedule is. It sort of affects the competition for getting into the playoffs and possibly the seeding.

Another option would be to go to total points for regular season to determine playoff seeding.

Kind of happened again, though this time I brought it on myself. I was top seed and got a bye last week. Both the 5 seed and 6 seed won in first round. He set the semifinals as me playing the 5 seed, who was the Manning owner. There wasn't anything in the by-laws saying if we re-seeded or not, but he re-seeded in the lottery playoffs last year. Panicking a little because I was playing the Manning owner (and Vereen a little, too), I posted Thursday in the first quarter asking if the schedule was set right. He didn't respond until Sunday morning and then abruptly changed the matchups, because of what I said about the lottery last year. At that point, after Manning didn't blow up, I was content if he kept the same matchup. But no discussion about what to do. Of course, you know what had to happen. I would have beat the 5 seed by 50 points. The 6 seed had Jamaal Charles, and then got 25.5 points from Justin Tucker. I entered the night up 45 with him having Calvin, Rice, Tucker and the Ravens D. I end up losing by about 8 or so, but just before the 61 yard FG I was literally down .05 (actually before Rice's run just before the FG).

I brought it on myself, but I still feel cheated given he waited so long to respond.

3 playoffs in 2 weeks, last week I lost both games playing the Antonio Brown owner, who got the bonus points to beat me because of the yards added on the lateral play, one by 2 points and the other by 1.53 points. This week, lost on a schedule change at the last second. If there is a bright spot in this, the guy I lost to got screwed the most when the original schedule change was done.

Oh, and another thing, if he hadn't changed the schedule in the first place, the 5 seed would have actually been the 6 seed or maybe not even made the playoffs. The 5 seed gained 2 wins and the 6 seed lost 2 wins.

This problem is minor when compared to what happened earlier. Leave the league after this year or stop complaining when it doesn't go your way.

mike11162 said:
Panicking a little because I was playing the Manning owner (and Vereen a little, too), I posted Thursday in the first quarter asking if the schedule was set right.

At that point, after Manning didn't blow up, I was content if he kept the same matchup.

I still feel cheated
:lmao: You and your commissioner probably deserve each other.

mike11162 said:
Kind of happened again, though this time I brought it on myself. I was top seed and got a bye last week. Both the 5 seed and 6 seed won in first round. He set the semifinals as me playing the 5 seed, who was the Manning owner. There wasn't anything in the by-laws saying if we re-seeded or not, but he re-seeded in the lottery playoffs last year. Panicking a little because I was playing the Manning owner (and Vereen a little, too), I posted Thursday in the first quarter asking if the schedule was set right. He didn't respond until Sunday morning and then abruptly changed the matchups, because of what I said about the lottery last year. At that point, after Manning didn't blow up, I was content if he kept the same matchup. But no discussion about what to do. Of course, you know what had to happen. I would have beat the 5 seed by 50 points. The 6 seed had Jamaal Charles, and then got 25.5 points from Justin Tucker. I entered the night up 45 with him having Calvin, Rice, Tucker and the Ravens D. I end up losing by about 8 or so, but just before the 61 yard FG I was literally down .05 (actually before Rice's run just before the FG).

I brought it on myself, but I still feel cheated given he waited so long to respond.

3 playoffs in 2 weeks, last week I lost both games playing the Antonio Brown owner, who got the bonus points to beat me because of the yards added on the lateral play, one by 2 points and the other by 1.53 points. This week, lost on a schedule change at the last second. If there is a bright spot in this, the guy I lost to got screwed the most when the original schedule change was done.
No sympathy for this at all. You knew the guy was willing to change schedules. You wanted to get the schedule changed. You deliberately asked if he was going to change the schedule, deliberately trying to get the schedule changed. You forfeit all right to complain about the fact that he actually changed the schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread