What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Computer Guys - Help with build for my son (1 Viewer)

acarey50

Footballguy
Alright folks much smarter than I in this arena.

My son is in an aviation program in high school where he will most likely graduate with his pilot's license, with aspirations of being a commercial pilot one day.

For the last several months, he has been saving all of his money (Christmas, Birthday, chores, picking up odd jobs) with the goal of putting together a gaming computer optimized to run Microsoft Flight Simulator (and also a few others like GTA and whatever else is popular), but far and away the Flight Simulator is the primary goal. He got some input from his instructor on what they have at school, and he put together a custom build on a site called buildredux.com (Any insight on how reputable they are?)

Using that site, you are able to select the main software you are looking to run, answer a few questions, and then it puts together a build that you can further customize. Using that, here is a link to see the components suggested and that he wanted to customize too

I am admittedly clueless in this arena as I mainly use my computer for email/internet and Office applications, so something like this is way out of my wheelhouse.

In addition to the computer, he will need to get the specialized controls (Flight Control Joystick and Rudder pedals) and likely a curved monitor (his preference), so those are additional expenses.

Any input on either that build (price, components, etc.), suggestions on other places to look, off the shelf solutions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

No idea on the flight peripherals, but:

a) Build the actual PC yourself. Most of these custom build sites will charge a packet for the privilege. It's basically just Lego for adults at this stage, basically just need to make sure you get the appropriate motherboard for your CPU and you're golden

b) Consider just getting a lower end GPU that'll play the flight sim with the idea to upgrade it later. Prices are still a bit silly, but are heading in the right direction. Get something that'll run it and have that as your first line of upgrade

c) Don't by a cheap no brand PSU

A budget would help

I'm currently a student pilot and built a simulator PC rig a couple years ago that I use for training.  The PC itself is pretty easy - just build as high end of a computer as you can.  Flight simulation calculations use a lot of horsepower, both in the CPU and the Graphics.  Build something high end now so it lasts for years and is capable of running the latest flight sim s/w.  I use x-plane but have been meaning to check out Microsoft flight simulator since it came out.  Either one is very good but requires high end hardware.

Regarding the flight sim controls, I use the Honeybomb yoke and throttle quadrant.  IMO they offer the best value and realism for the money.  I had the logitech throttle quadrant initially and it's ok, especially for the money, but the Honeycomb has a lot more capabilities and just works better.  It's easily worth the extra money.  I would strongly encourage you to avoid the logitech/saitek yoke.  It has half the travel of the other yokes on the market (45 degrees each way instead of 90) so it's way less realistic and sensitive than the Honeycomb.  Here's a link to a combo pack of the two Honeycomb control kits:

https://www.amazon.com/Honeycomb-Controls-Aeronautical-Throttle-Quadrant/dp/B09MDCYDW3

I also have the CH Pro pedals.  They work well but I suspect others might be better so I'll recommend them but not nearly as highly as the Honeycomb equipment.  I LOVE the Honeycomb equipment if you haven't noticed.  I think your son would too.  Not super cheap but still a good value.

I just googled and see that Turtle Beach has come out with a yoke/throttle quadrant combo that is being decently received.  It doesn't seem to be quite as feature packed or as good as the Honeycomb but it's good and not as expensive. 

Flying is awesome.  Your kid is lucky to be getting in to it at such an early age. 

I have five nephews in their mid 30s early 40s who have been building high end gaming computers since their teens. For years it seemed like a competition to build the best machine. My brother, the father of a few of these nephews, thanks to covid is addicted to a game he plays on Xbox. Watching Twitch and Youtube convinced him he needs a gaming pc that can play it at highest settings. So he went to his boys to build him one. In unison they informed him the days of building your own are over if you want to get the most power for your money. Manufacturers get volume buying discounts on cpus, gpus, mobos, etc., and pass it on at prices individual builders cannot beat. Bro spent 1800 on the pc and another grand on monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers. I'm pretty sure they are right about this after putting some of the pieces in a cart at Newegg. Anyway, food for thought maybe.

Thank you for the input so far - very helpful, and a bit of a gratuitous bump for the weekday crowds.

@John123 - He has the controls selected that he wants based on conversations with his teacher. Welcome to opinions on these:

Thrustmaster Airbus Controls  and ThrustMaster Rudder

I haven't used them but from what I've read Thrustmaster is pretty solid stuff.  Just curious though.   What plane is he training on?   Most of the training planes I've seen/used have a yoke and not a stick.  I'm assuming his teacher is suggesting equipment that will match what he's training on.

Chaos Commish said:
the days of building your own are over if you want to get the most power for your money. Manufacturers get volume buying discounts on cpus, gpus, mobos, etc., and pass it on at prices individual builders cannot beat.
I have the impression this is probably just a temporary truth due to supply chain (esp GPUs) and inflation pressures, and that the market will eventually return to something where build it yourself is cheaper.

(But today what you said makes a ton of sense.)

I have the impression this is probably just a temporary truth due to supply chain (esp GPUs) and inflation pressures, and that the market will eventually return to something where build it yourself is cheaper.

(But today what you said makes a ton of sense.)
Add in, it's really the only way to guarantee a current gen GPU. If you go it on your own you have to essentially play the lottery to get one.

I haven't used them but from what I've read Thrustmaster is pretty solid stuff.  Just curious though.   What plane is he training on?   Most of the training planes I've seen/used have a yoke and not a stick.  I'm assuming his teacher is suggesting equipment that will match what he's training on.
No actual plane right now - this is a program through his high school and he is in the first year, so just simulator right now. I believe they get actual plane time through the program either later in year 2 or in year 3 - though we can of course set him up separately for lessons. From what I understand, the ones I linked are similar to what they use in class from what I understand.

This is again an area (one of many) where I readily admit I am near clueless.

No actual plane right now - this is a program through his high school and he is in the first year, so just simulator right now. I believe they get actual plane time through the program either later in year 2 or in year 3 - though we can of course set him up separately for lessons. From what I understand, the ones I linked are similar to what they use in class from what I understand.

This is again an area (one of many) where I readily admit I am near clueless.

No worries.  If they're using a stick in class it makes sense to get that for his simulator as well.  From chatting with pilots who've used both, the transition seems to be easy enough back and forth.  When he gets to actual plane flying it's likely he'll be using a yoke though.  The planes that are cheap enough to get used for training tend to be yoke based and not stick based. 

Users who are viewing this thread