What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (1 Viewer)

Snagged Chris Stapleton tix at the MGM in Vegas on 3/23.  Was in town for March Madness and seeing Kid Rock at the Mandalay Bay 3/24.  Should be a phenomenal weekend.

comfortably numb said:
Ooof nevermind 

Cheapest seat in red bank on stubhub is $271.
Plays in Camden late July as part of the XPN Festival, but at the amphitheater on the waterfront as the Friday night headliner.  Much cheaper tickets than $271.

Saw Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit last night at Hill Auditorium. I've never listened to anything of his outside of Drive By Truckers but my dad is a big fan so we went. I was definitely blown away by the show. If you like southern rock at all- it's a can't miss ticket.
Cool.  Worked with his cousin in the Fall and he introduced me to his stuff.  Very impressed.

I saw Fitz and the Tantrums last night as part of the NHL All Star weekend here in Tampa.  Outdoor show with a boatload of people.  They put on a really good show.  Best free show I’ve ever been to.   :thumbup:

ETA:  Adam Ant coming to town on Wednesday.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit last night at Hill Auditorium. I've never listened to anything of his outside of Drive By Truckers but my dad is a big fan so we went. I was definitely blown away by the show. If you like southern rock at all- it's a can't miss ticket.
Nice.  Heading to Isbell show #20 for me (since 2014) next Saturday in Brooklyn.  And #21 in Red Bank the following Monday.

Nice.  Heading to Isbell show #20 for me (since 2014) next Saturday in Brooklyn.  And #21 in Red Bank the following Monday.
Yeah I alaways noticed you drafting his music in the drafts and I never gave it enough attention. Southern rock isn't usually a genre I listen to a lot, but they are so good live I will be sure to listen to them more going forward. 

Is red bank so much more $ due to smaller more itimate venue?
Yep...offfical capacity is 1543.  That show sold out fast.  Actually went to box office and was sixth in line and had to get split pairs to get 4.

Great venue...old style theatre recently restored.   Wish more would play there instead of the hipster spots in NYC/Brooklyn.

Also Isbell's wife wasn't at the show last night. My dad thought the sound was quite different without her and actually preferred it . How often does he play with the band sans his wife? Was that rare or pretty typical?

Got tix for Jack White in Toronto, and the Foos, also in T.O.

Have seen July Talk 4 times in the last while....they are getting big.

Ilov80s said:
Also Isbell's wife wasn't at the show last night. My dad thought the sound was quite different without her and actually preferred it . How often does he play with the band sans his wife? Was that rare or pretty typical?
I've seen them more with Amanda than without.  Most of the shows I have seen have been in TN/NJ/NY, so with TN being a home game that would account for her being at those shows, but in NY/NJ it's been about 50/50.  But I would say at least one or two U.S. legs of each tour do not include her in the mix.

I like to see the band with her, mainly because her fiddle brings a different level of sound.  That said, without her in the mix, Sadler gets a lot more room to work and show off his skills.

Saw Chris Robinson brotherhood couple months ago and Railroad Earth two weeks ago. Both really good. Actually liked Railroad a little more, live. Ton of talent.

Last Monday, I saw Big Boi in Aspen at the Belly Up, a 700-person capacity venue.  It was incredible.  And I got to hang out with Big Boi and Sleepy Brown from Organized Noize for a little bit after the show.  As a huge Outkast fan that grew up in Atlanta, it was some bucket list stuff for me.  

Going to see Pixies and Weezer in June.  No Kim Deal of course, but looking forward to it.  Last time I saw them they opened for Love and Rockets in 1989.  Been a while.

As the folks posting in this thread know, Live music is good for the soul. 

I never make resolutions but promised to see more live tunes in 2018. No huge shows yet but I have enjoyed:

David Rawlings/Gillian Welch

Donna The Buffalo

Willie Watson

Saw Chris Robinson brotherhood couple months ago and Railroad Earth two weeks ago. Both really good. Actually liked Railroad a little more, live. Ton of talent.
My buddy saw Chris Robinson in Hollywood a few weeks ago at a Joe Perry album launch party and said he was phenomenal 

Was planning on seeing Greensky Bluegrass next week but now have to miss it.

Current plans:
Dead and Co. Cleveland
Phish Austin
Roger Daltrey performing Tommy with Dayton Philharmonic

Was looking into buying tix for Billy Joel at Fenway park direct through the website (not resold). Then I noticed the handling fees and surcharges were $45-$50 per ticket. Is it normal these days for there to be surcharges that much per ticket?

Going to see John 5 and the Creatures in a few weeks. I got tickets to go see Elton John in October as it is a top 5 on my mom's bucket list.

Was looking into buying tix for Billy Joel at Fenway park direct through the website (not resold). Then I noticed the handling fees and surcharges were $45-$50 per ticket. Is it normal these days for there to be surcharges that much per ticket?
Yup.  My last Bruce and E Street Band show in Philadelphia a few years back had $150 seats (at box office) with $40 per ticket in fees.

Saw my first show of 2018 last night with Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit at Kings Theatre in Brooklyn, NY.  Amanda has been back on the road with the band since the Grammy Awards, so we got a show with her in the band.  

Setlist here - decent mix of songs, with standouts being "Go It Alone" to open, "Never Gonna Change" to end the main set with it's killer guitar duel, "Flying Over Water" from Southeastern mid set and "Last of My Kind" from the new album with the extended outro from Sadler and Amanda.  "If We Were Vampires" closed the show - still a great track live, but I would rather see them close on something faster.

Band was really on tonight and once again, Jason's guitar playing was incendiary, but there was a little less between song commentary from Jason during the night other than commenting on the theatre.  Was my first time at Kings Theatre and agree with Jason - this place is gorgeous.  About 3000 seats (probably 2/3rds of them on the orchestra level - we were in the balcony) and other than the bathroom rush after the opener (James McMurtry), the theatre has plenty of room and concession stands to accommodate the crowd.

But if you go to a show here, plan to pregame somewhere else.  The theatre is on Flatbush Avenue which seems to be a main drag through the Flatbush area of Brooklyn, but aside from a collection of fast food joints, there is nothing immediately out here to grab a bite before the show.  Literally the only place to grab an adult beverage is a small tattoo parlor/bar across the street that barely holds 40-50 folks.  Next time, I am going early to park in the free lot behind the theatre, then Ubering somewhere else in Brooklyn to pregame and chow down.

Saw Dave Matthews Band last night at their "Night Before" show in St. Paul. It was a strangely unique DMB show as their first without Boyd Tinsley. It was a mixed show as they clearly a) hadn't been rehearsing, and b) were still working through how some songs will sound/feel without the violin. Also not a typical DMB crowd - lots of Super Bowl fans instead.

Is the resale market just crazy now? (Last few years)

I mean even so so name bands seems like you are paying 100+ for a seat before fees.

I wouldn't mind going to more concerts and games but just seems like your dropping 300+ a night for a couple seats and parking.

Best way to get tickets at reasonable prices is just scouring stubhub?

comfortably numb said:

I mean even so so name bands seems like you are paying 100+ for a seat before fees.

I wouldn't mind going to more concerts and games but just seems like your dropping 300+ a night for a couple seats and parking.

Scalpers/brokers are out of control. 

Here is a face value ticket site.

comfortably numb said:

Wait for two hours before game time and hit StubHub.  But most name artists are now face value pricing tickets around $100 beans if you are not getting the lawn seats at the local shed. 

What I found is if the StubHub price approaches face value two weeks out and the box office still has seats, then you should be able to score a set of seats below face (assuming you are not looking to sit 1st row).  If the seats two weeks out are well above face and the box office is sold out, then I'd have a backup plan (assuming you are not planning to pay above face) for that evening.

Wait for two hours before game time and hit StubHub.  But most name artists are now face value pricing tickets around $100 beans if you are not getting the lawn seats at the local shed. 

What I found is if the StubHub price approaches face value two weeks out and the box office still has seats, then you should be able to score a set of seats below face (assuming you are not looking to sit 1st row).  If the seats two weeks out are well above face and the box office is sold out, then I'd have a backup plan (assuming you are not planning to pay above face) for that evening.
Does the stubhub app have alerts by any chance?

comfortably numb said:

The best approach is to just see bands at the local small venues for $15. If you go to 20 shows a year, maybe one of them will make it big someday and you get the jackpot of being able to say “I saw them before they were big.” 

comfortably numb said:
This seems to good to be true.
Any success with this site? Or is it one of those as soon as they become available they get scooped up?

Thanks for the link. I'll keep an eye on it.
No idea.  I just see it mentioned often in some Facebook music groups I'm in.

Current shows on the docket:

Foo Fighters, April 25th, Tampa

Maroon 5, June 16th, Tampa

Hall & Oates and Train, June 22, Tampa

Britney Spears, July 27th, Hollywood, FL (Xmas gift to the girlfriend, scored 15th row floor tix)

Frightened Rabbit and Wintersleep Sunday night :thumbup:

Last weekend I drunkenly bought tickets to see The Gaslight Anthem play The '59 Sound in August as well.

Not too much other than that. I'm on the fence for Lorde, it's same day as Jays home opener. I'll probably end up seeing Franz Ferdinand as well but no tickets yet.

I saw Miranda Lambert last night in Phoenix. I enjoyed it, her voice was on key and I have always had a thing for her. It was my 21st anniversary of being married to my wife so we made a night of it. Went out for a nice dinner, got a hotel, got liquored up, saw Miranda and had fun.

John Pardi opened for Miranda and I was not that impressed. My wife liked him as did many at the show. He just kind of seems like the same old shtick that popular country churns out. He seems pretty interchangeable with about twenty other guys. Just not my thing.

Radiohead announced.  I don't see any presale options.

Avett Brothers sold out near me.  I don't like them enough to do exorbitant resale but will see if prices come down.

Really tempted to see Nada Surf do Let Go in San Diego in May. 

Distillers for April a nigh impossibility given resale prices.  Over $230. 

Ouch.  

shuke said:
Radiohead announced.  I don't see any presale options.

Avett Brothers sold out near me.  I don't like them enough to do exorbitant resale but will see if prices come down.
Presale offered if you are a member of W.A.S.T.E.  Guessing you would have needed to be member prior to announcement, but can't hurt to check, as there is no cost to join.

Users who are viewing this thread